CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ran off the local guy who had the program on the upswing to hire an admittedly good coach with no ties to the area. Weird weird weird.

Agree...

Thought I read somewhere that UNLV really wants to improve enough in CFB to be considered as a school to be added to Pac12 at some point in the future.  Not sure if that's really even a possibility??  

On 12/5/2022 at 9:57 AM, tbone_ said:

Heard part of Deions speech on Dan Patrick this morning. Sounded like he basically told his team go to the portal because I’m bringing some smart tough guys with me.

Seems like a great way to start. Just grab the wheel and steer straight into the ditch.

The team sucks bad right now.  What he said is just reality.  There is nobody on the current roster that is irreplaceable.  

On 12/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It's not like every single player on Colorado's roster is completely worthless. Also, it's pretty rare for a kid who is good enough to start at his current school to enter the transfer portal. You can find stars, but you can't build an entire roster from the portal. I get weeding out the kids who don't want to work to get better, but I really don't see this working out for him. CU is going to be terrible next season. He's going to have to rebuild with high school kids, and this program won't be competitive until 2025 at the very earliest. I think he gets fired halfway through his third season.

I'd guess maybe 5 or 10 of the current players belong on a P5 roster.  There's a reason they were 1-11 this year.  All the talent left in the portal this time last year.

22 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

My first reaction, too.  Then I realized that Musk (and his buddies and his creditors) just paid $44B to buy Twitter.  He owns it.

CU has given Sanders an annual $5mm promissory note to coach the team and his first actions as coach are to publicly run off whatever talent he's inherited.  He's an employee.

He could have introduced himself, discussed his philosophy, noted how he was going to interview and evaluate everyone, and fielded questions.  Made it about the players and the team and, behind closed doors, remind the players that they helped get the previous guy fired.  Expectations will be high, etc. etc. etc.  In true Deion form, he made it about himself and went full-on mercenary mode.

FWIW, several former CU players (ones that were there when the Buffs were good) have zero issues with Prime's speech to the current players.  CFB is a big boy sport.  If a few harsh words are going to wreck you, perhaps it isn't for you.  

It only takes 1 booster to get involved to turn something like CU completely around in very short order. 

I think there’s a lot of personal hatred of Deion for whatever reason, but he pulled crazy talent at Jackson State and seems to be pitching that he’s setting up an NFL factory. He may be completely full of shit, but that’s the advertising campaign that he’s on. It’s going to be hard to recruit against in year 1 and if he doesn’t lay a complete egg it’ll be extremely difficult in the following years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think there’s a lot of personal hatred of Deion for whatever reason. 

Well there's the fake high school he founded and named after himself. Which he got fired from after a staffer said he assaulted them.

And the time he stiffed a random mechanic out of $2000 because "Jesus told him to"

And the general vibe that the only person Deion really cares about is Deion. He sweats snake oil.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

IMO, the biggest pitfall for Prime could be anointing his son starting QB before he’s had a single FBS practice. No quicker way to lose the locker room than to have a QB controversy involving the coach’s son. 

You’d think CU would be wary of that after Dan/Cody Hawkins. 

That was an odd part of the whole deal. His son is a baller, but it felt like when Spike was introduced to the Little Giants. 

• Haha 1

There is no QB competition at CU. By year’s end they were starting the 5th string guy. The one promising freshman they had, they shut him down to preserve his redshirt after he played 4 games and got dinged. He portaled out 48 hours before Deion was named HC. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Arroyo started really well at UNLV this year, but they faded fast in the second half of the season and the first two looses as that fade started were horrible blowouts

the 3rd blowout in a row to ND should be expected, but after that they "recovered" to lose 3 more in a row by less than a touchdown before beating a Nevada team that had also faded really badly by less than a touchdown

I suppose their thinking is they have the talent there and with a more experienced coach they can turn some of those losses around and there is probably some thinking that the PAC 12 might eventually be looking for teams.......though a hire like Patterson would have made much more of a splash

as for getting Odom it is surprising that Tulsa could not apparently come up with the money to close that deal all the more so when you consider he probably would not have to move his family and would be in the general area that has has been in for a long time.....though that fact could be one reason that Tulsa did not just money whip him....they wanted to see him prove something first in the area he has stomped around in for a long time instead of just handing him a lot of cash especially when they have other options

as for north Texas state the CUSA us pretty weak and definitely weaker than the SunBelt and has been for a few years and probably hangs right in there with the MAC

the AAC is going to be a lot tougher for them and other programs are making improvements as they move there and programs already there are looking to try and be the top team in the life raft with holes in it pretending there will be P5 spots open in the future

their program is funded off the backs of students to a massive degree in the "UH model" and their fan support, donor support, ticket sales, and on the field performance sucks even compared to UH and especially for that student money "investment"

they like UH suffer from a small group of loud fans with massive expectations and "sleeping giant" dreams while they do not have the money to make that happen and when they get pissed off instead of throwing money to make something happen they hold back their money until something happens

the only difference is UH has one idiot with a lot of money that he will spend, but it comes with his stupid ideas as well and UH got in on the massive academic subsidies long before north Texas state did and UH was left in the ditch from the SWC while north Texas state willing dropped down to D1-AA for a while so they were at two different starting points

north Texas state is just a few years late and millions and millions of dollars short every time while UH manages to fake/fool people into making it until they probably become a major drag in the Big 12 for a long time

Seth had developed a habit of starting the season off very weak, finishing "strong" against a lot of really bad teams and then getting his dick knocked off to close out when it came time for anything "meaningful"

plus he was hired by the current president just before Rick "Rock and Roll Sushi" Villarreal was let go so it is no surprise he will be in on the new coaching search since Wren "Weatherman Frankie" Baker left for WVU

6 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

IMO, the biggest pitfall for Prime could be anointing his son starting QB before he’s had a single FBS practice. No quicker way to lose the locker room than to have a QB controversy involving the coach’s son. 

You’d think CU would be wary of that after Dan/Cody Hawkins. 

If his kid can deliver I believe it can work. But, that really is the question. Does his kid have the goods? Not to mention, why ice your own kid? Go through the process even if your kid is the best option.

That kind of shit guarantees that every defensive guy he faces is going to do their best to light him up because of the disproportionate amount of publicity both he and his old man can generate. Is it fair? Who knows. But, bust Deion’s kid and you’re on ESPN.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:57 AM, tbone_ said:

Heard part of Deions speech on Dan Patrick this morning. Sounded like he basically told his team go to the portal because I’m bringing some smart tough guys with me.

Seems like a great way to start. Just grab the wheel and steer straight into the ditch.

I guarantee you none of the kids in that room are happy or satisfied with 1-11. PrimeTime telling them to hit the portal is motivation. You don't want to work hard and earn your spot, go somewhere else. I like that in a coach. LOL it'll be hilarious if that speech backfires and everyone hits the portal and prime doesn't have enough kids to scrimmage with. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Was surprised to read Leonhard was gonna stay when it was first reported -- would have been a difficult situation since he was expecting to get the Head Coaching job there at Whisky.  Wonder where he is gonna coach next??

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

I guarantee you none of the kids in that room are happy or satisfied with 1-11. PrimeTime telling them to hit the portal is motivation. You don't want to work hard and earn your spot, go somewhere else. I like that in a coach. LOL it'll be hilarious if that speech backfires and everyone hits the portal and prime doesn't have enough kids to scrimmage with. 

Just as long as he isn't trying to take Bo Davis, I think he's good.

Some of them said it was the most fun they've ever had playing football and wanted the interim guy hired. Most of them need to go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Some of them said it was the most fun they've ever had playing football and wanted the interim guy hired. Most of them need to go.

Good lord the program is in shambles if they really admitted that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

CU can’t even recruit its own state. Teams have been coming in and cherry picking the top guys for years - there aren’t that many each year but it’s stark:

2023:  0 of Top Ten on 247 Composite are current CU commits.

2022:  2 of Top Ten signed with CU. 

2021: 2

2020: 1

52 minutes ago, MrX said:

CU can’t even recruit its own state. Teams have been coming in and cherry picking the top guys for years - there aren’t that many each year but it’s stark:

2023:  0 of Top Ten on 247 Composite are current CU commits.

2022:  2 of Top Ten signed with CU. 

2021: 2

2020: 1

They can when they win.  Go look at the season records for those years.

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well there's the fake high school he founded and named after himself. Which he got fired from after a staffer said he assaulted them.

And the time he stiffed a random mechanic out of $2000 because "Jesus told him to"

And the general vibe that the only person Deion really cares about is Deion. He sweats snake oil.

Don't forget the Tim McCarver incident...(I don't like McCarver either but that was pure asshole)

And it was closer to $3k that he screwed the mechanic out of

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/2003/0714/1580339.html

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/28/2022 at 3:11 PM, redswingline said:

Shaw led Stanford to 40 wins from 2015-2018. Harbaugh left in 2010.

2066988525_shawsrecord.jpg.63cd918e5b865318f9e944121c434c55.jpg

havent visited this thread in a while but 'furd fell off a cliff when they fired their roid supplying S&C coach in 2019.  After that, they started their descent into suckitude.  This isn't that hard to figure out

I’m not the biggest Prime fan but that Colorado locker has some culture issue. One of our coaches accompanied a kid on his official visit to Colorado last year and it was a mess. The kid loved campus and was enjoying his official visit until the head coach’s wife made an ignorant comment to a parent as a “joke”that unraveled the visit. The kid asked his host about the coach after and his host told him and his parent flat out not to come to Colorado and that him along with most guys were planning to get out the program. The host and his roommate both hit the transfer portal. 

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

And it was closer to $3k that he screwed the mechanic out of

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/2003/0714/1580339.html

The owner of the repair shop said Sanders wanted to pay only $1,500 of the $4,265.57 bill, saying that Jesus had informed him that was all he needed to pay.

Papers filed in his lawsuit stated that he and his mechanics installed a new radiator and thermostat, flushed the engine, repaired the car's electrical system and gauges, replaced the starter motor, removed contaminated fuel and rebuilt the carburetor. Mechanics for Magrathea Inc., Compton's company, had replaced gaskets and hoses.

Jesus probably told Prime the mechanic was trying to screw him over.  $4300 for the above mentioned stuff?!?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, redswingline said:

OK,  Just looked up Satterfield. He had a good run at Appalachian State but he was 15-18 in conference at Louisville, no conference titles, not even first in his division.

What the hell is Cincinnati thinking?

Louisville was a big time mess when he took over. Record aside everyone felt he was taking program in right direction and certainly left program better off than he found it.  He's still considered a good coach who can elevate programs.  I think it also appealed that they could "reset" their coaching salary level post Fickell to a lower, more commensurate level.