CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No shit, I am acquaintances with Mike McCagnan. At one time, as much I ran into him and bullshitted with him, I could argue we were friends on some loose level. Anyway, he's a good dude and very smart. I'm cheering for him to win at NYJ, but failure wouldn't stun me.

When he ran college scouting for the Texans, we'd get into arguments about different players and some of his takes were ... bizarre. Anyway, he got me into the Texans War Room on draft day several years in a row and that was a fucking bad ass experience, so I hope shit works out in his favor. Hiring Matt Rhule doesn't seem like a crazy choice to me.

I guess I see Rhule as a great coach to get you to .500 in any league.  Just kind of a manager.  Maybe that's what the NFL needs.

Again, I have no real idea what I'm talking about, so there's that.

I don't know if KK or Rhule would make good NFL coaches, but it's sure as hell alot more interesting than the normal hiring cycle. KK could let the analytics guys run the draft, take his head set off during when the defense is on the field, and just design the offense. Arizona just fired a guy after one season. What could be worse than that? 

2 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

Matt Rhule is from NY and he has coached on the Giants staff, still, I don't think he leaves Baylor this year. Of course my opinion is useless in such matters.

You don't think he would leave Baylor if he was offered the Jets HC Job?

58 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I find it interesting that Day is hiring away the defensive staff he torched to the tune of 567 yards and 62 points while basically running 2-3 plays.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's because their scheme was solid to good, as evidenced by how awesome there were against everyone not named tOSU and Florida. The difference is that Ohio State won't be trotting out slow as fuck athletes to execute said scheme. Hence the drubbings to tOSU and Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Man you know it's bad in the NFL when they are chasing 3rd tier coaches from the Big XII trying to get the Hot New Thing.  You have to wonder what sort of bidding war would break out if Lincoln Riley hinted that he might be available.

Hiring Rhule wouldn't be a 'hot new thing' hire.  Rhule has been around for awhile both in the NFL and college and isn't a Kliff K hire where you're paying as much for his offensive sytem as you are for him as a coach.   If the Jets hire him its because they think he's the kind of coach who can steady a franchise that hasn't won shit since Namath was banging cheerleaders on the sideline.  He made Baylor 'competitive' in his second year there - I think thats impressive. 

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's because their scheme was solid to good, as evidenced by how awesome there were against everyone not named tOSU and Florida. The difference is that Ohio State won't be trotting out slow as fuck athletes to execute said scheme. Hence the drubbings to tOSU and Florida.

Oh, so the only competent offenses the Michigan defense faced torched them. I'm not sure this is a winning argument.

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Kliff's agent. By not advising him to just wait a little he cost him a lot of money on that USC buyout.

Cardinals will end up paying it, I'm sure.  "Oh what's the buyout? Okay, here's your signing bonus.  Coincidentally, it's the exact same amount!"

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Kliff's agent. By not advising him to just wait a little he cost him a lot of money on that USC buyout.

Unless he's actually as incompetent as this made him seem, that agent should be able to recoup the buyout in a signing bonus from Arizona with tax impact included.

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

He went from fired by Tech to a head coach in the NFL with a soft landing spot as OC for USC.

I think he is the best agent in the history of the universe. 

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Hiring Rhule wouldn't be a 'hot new thing' hire.  Rhule has been around for awhile both in the NFL and college and isn't a Kliff K hire where you're paying as much for his offensive sytem as you are for him as a coach.   If the Jets hire him its because they think he's the kind of coach who can steady a franchise that hasn't won shit since Namath was banging cheerleaders on the sideline.  He made Baylor 'competitive' in his second year there - I think thats impressive. 

Fair.  I just didn't think his NFL experience would justify a look at a HC job in the pros.  Rhule does bring spread experience as a college HC but about the same as KK on that front.

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Fair.  I just didn't think his NFL experience would justify a look at a HC job in the pros.  Rhule does bring spread experience as a college HC but about the same as KK on that front.

Well, one can say that for most any Baylor person.

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Peter Principal.....

But it's more like Bizarro Peter Principle.

Based on his body of work at Tech, that was the level of his incompetence.  But now they are ignoring that relative failure and promoting him past it (though I understand NFL & College are apples to oranges).

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Terminator...... I mean Herminator found Warehime a soft landing???

Warehime is probably the most expendable member of Herman's staff if any of the rumors about Beatty potentially joining are true.  Plus moving from OL to TE coach after Hand arrived is probably writing on the wall.  It will be interesting to see if Warehime ends up staying on the staff as an Analyst or if he goes somewhere else.