CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

You don't think that can be structured around in a job negotiation?

You must be one of those people that believes labeling money divorced it from belonging to the whole pool of money. Three team was willing to spend $X on coach Y. If they have to spend $Z on a buyout then the total available for coach Y to take home is X-Z. That's it.

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

With only one data point, I thought he was terrible calling plays against us. No scouting. He just rolled out whatever worked for them in prior games. 

Agree...... think with Fields leaving and poor Offensive showing in Sugar Bowl, Kirby had to change something on offense to provide hope for the Dawgs future...... Fromm has to show more improvement for Jawja in 2019

Edited by LTtxfan

14 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
14 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:
Cards.

Disagree. High beta hires are the way to go. It probably won't work but if it doesn't the chances are good that it's a disaster. That means high draft picks instead of eternal mediocrity like Jeff Fisher and most retreads guarantee.

This is a good point I hadn’t thought about.  In general it is much better to go 2-14 than 7-9 in the NFL.  So I rescind my thoughts about the Arizona GM being stupid.  He’s more like a gambler in a deep hole who’s playing longshots in a desperate attempt to get back to square.  

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Since Kirby and Clay are still feeling around in the dark to try to find OCs, I hear there’s a real up and comer in these parts by the name of Drewek Mehrhime who could be available for the right price.

Manny is still hunting too right??

17 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Haven't read this, but apparently Mattison has worked for all three Harbaughs.  Something happened.

He also worked for Urban. One thing that happened is he got a promotion and a pay raise. Maybe Urban recommended him to Day. The rumors about Al Washington getting hired started well before the Mattison hire. Maybe Washington recommended him.

I don't know if it's evidence that Jim Harbaugh is difficult to work for but I'm fine with it being perceived that way. I just hope he works out at OSU. 

On 1/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, relapse98 said:

This. That team had a much better record than Jim Grobe did in his only year. I am HIGHLY impressed by Rhule's second year.

yeah, and we'll see a third year. Jets hire Adam Gase.  Rhule evidently passed on the job

Edited by alphahorn

14 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

yeah, and we'll see a third year. Jets hire Adam Gase.  Rhule evidently passed on the job

I find it hard to believe he passed.  He's one Charlie Brewer injury away from being in a really bad place.  His stock may never be higher than it is now.  

17 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I find it hard to believe he passed.  He's one Charlie Brewer injury away from being in a really bad place.  His stock may never be higher than it is now.  

He passed.  Jets management  (Woody Johnson's kid mostly) wouldn't let him pick coaches for his staff, apparently.

12 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

He passed.  Jets management  (Woody Johnson's kid mostly) wouldn't let him pick coaches for his staff, apparently.

Lol. Rhule didn’t pass on the Jets. If the Jets really wanted him they wouldn’t have placed restrictions on him. 

I haven’t seen anything about these same restrictions on Gase. 

So you’re telling me they wanted to hire the guy they didn’t trust to make coaching hires over Gase who is getting full control with no restrictions? 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lol. Rhule didn’t pass on the Jets. If the Jets really wanted him they wouldn’t have placed restrictions on him. 

So you’re telling me they wanted to hire the guy they didn’t trust to make coaching hires over Gase who is getting full control with no restrictions? 

The Jets are a trainwreck.  Gase taking the job without conditions is laughable.

You can say whatever you want, but the Jets flinched.

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Jets are one of the shittiest franchises in the league. It makes total sense to me that they'd do something like that.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The Jets are one of the shittiest franchises in the league. It makes total sense to me that they'd do something like that.

The NY media was going to eat their lunch regardless of who they picked.  They stomped on the chicken switch, predictably.  

The Bidwills at least had the balls to hire Kliffy.  Not that they'll win or anything, but it will be hilarious to watch.