CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

29 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Gase taking the job without conditions is laughable.

Doesn't look like it from an assistant hiring perspective. Gase seems to be targeting assistants that are his guys. 

I think it's dumb the Jets would place restrictions on who a head coach can hire but it's definitely something they wanted with Rhule. Maybe "mutual parting" is better language but if the Jets really wanted Rhule they would have just let him hire the assistants he wanted. 

http://footballscoop.com/news/matt-rhule-staying-baylor-jets-hire-adam-gase/

"That lack of NFL experience led to a reported sticking point between Rule and the Jets, with the two sides failing to agree on who would join Rhule’s staff as assistants. That impasse led the Jets to move on from Rhule, and quickly after word of Rhule remaining in Waco went public, it was reported that Gase would be the next Jets coach."

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Doesn't look like it from an assistant hiring perspective. Gase seems to be targeting assistants that are his guys. 

I think it's dumb that the Jets would place restrictions on who a head coach could hire but it's definitely something they wanted with Rhule. Maybe "mutual parting" is better language but if the Jets really wanted Rhule they would have just let him hire the assistants he wanted. 

http://footballscoop.com/news/matt-rhule-staying-baylor-jets-hire-adam-gase/

"That lack of NFL experience led to a reported sticking point between Rule and the Jets, with the two sides failing to agree on who would join Rhule’s staff as assistants. That impasse led the Jets to move on from Rhule, and quickly after word of Rhule remaining in Waco went public, it was reported that Gase would be the next Jets coach."

Matt Ruhle is a pretty damn good coach, but he's also a whiny choad, so I'm not surprised he's not coaching the Jets.

Gase doesn't want to go be an OC somewhere and spend two or three years rehabilitating his image (or never getting a shot again), so he conforms to reasonable limitations, be it hiring certain assistants or other administrative decisions, that will risk his hiring.  Both parties, of course, are highly motivated to shut it down, so that likely helps Gase as well as the Jets.  This seems like the most plausible set of events and circumstances.

18 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Gase doesn't want to go be an OC somewhere and spend two or three years rehabilitating his image (or never getting a shot again), so he conforms to reasonable limitations, be it hiring certain assistants or other administrative decisions, that will risk his hiring.  Both parties, of course, are highly motivated to shut it down, so that likely helps Gase as well as the Jets.  This seems like the most plausible set of events and circumstances.

Maybe but the hold up with Rhule seemed to be the lack of NFL experience. Hence, the restrictions. Gase has been a coach in the NFL since '03 so not sure they applied the same limitations since he has "NFL experience". 

I think the likely scenario is they liked Rhule but were scared by the lack of NFL experience. They discussed possible assistant hires and then moved in another direction once it was obvious there were going to be disagreements over staff hires. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

I think this only proves that Rhule is not long for Baylor, no matter what. He'd be interested in the NFL, but what if an Auburn or a USC came calling (hell, even Penn State might be in play in a couple of years if Franklin continues to coach stupidly in big games). Rhule has no long term ties to Baylor or Texas which is what kept Teaff and Briles around. He's a good enough coach that deserves better than Rapelor.......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Matt Ruhle is a pretty damn good coach, but he's also a whiny choad, so I'm not surprised he's not coaching the Jets.

Yup, I had no opinion on him until this year's OSU-Baylor game where he whined and cried the whole time while we were getting screwed by uncalled holding every run play. Fuck him, and that program doesn't deserve a football team. I hope last year was as successful as they can ever be again.

19 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

I think this only proves that Rhule is not long for Baylor, no matter what. He'd be interested in the NFL, but what if an Auburn or a USC came calling (hell, even Penn State might be in play in a couple of years if Franklin continues to coach stupidly in big games). Rhule has no long term ties to Baylor or Texas which is what kept Teaff and Briles around. He's a good enough coach that deserves better than Rapelor.......

Man, he just seems like a 7-5, 8-4 ceiling kind of guy to me.  Get the program from nothing to being a tough out.  That's it.  

That's actually not a bad look for Baylor historically, but they have cultivated lofty expectations from their aborted attempt to replicate OU's Switzer era.

• Like 2

If the Jets were worth a shit, you'd see them accept that perhaps a guy who only coached one year in the NFL during his career would have different ideas about staff composition than an NFL retread, and you know, actually allow him some latitude to make key hires.

But, no, they wouldn't give up that control and wanted more "Yes, sir" than "I disagree vehemently".  Sorta sounds like a team that just won its second playoff game in the last 22 years.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Man, he just seems like a 7-5, 8-4 ceiling kind of guy to me.  Get the program from nothing to being a tough out.  That's it.  

That's actually not a bad look for Baylor historically, but they have cultivated lofty expectations from their aborted attempt to replicate OU's Switzer era.

He was fantastic at Temple and commanded a lot of respect in these parts.  He's talented and fits right in with guys like Campbell, Herman, and Patterson in the Big 12. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

He was fantastic at Temple and commanded a lot of respect in these parts.  He's talented and fits right in with guys like Campbell, Herman, and Patterson in the Big 12. 

Wasn't Al Golden fantastic at Temple too?

I don't think he's a "bad" coach, just not a "great" one.  I'd definitely take him over Kingsbury.  

9 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Wasn't Al Golden fantastic at Temple too?

I don't think he's a "bad" coach, just not a "great" one.  I'd definitely take him over Kingsbury.  

Golden took Temple out of the toilet, but the program was not at the level that Ruhle eventually took it.  Ruhle coached under Golden at Temple (you don't see many coaches move from coaching the D-line to serving as OC and QB coach), and some give Ruhle as much credit as Golden for the turnaround, especially in player evaluations.

24 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

I'm shocked that Saban hasn't quit yet. He's like 68 years old and unless he wins a natty, it's not a successful season. 

I don't really dislike the guy personally, but watch his personality on those horrible Mercedes commercials

what the fuck is he going to ever do besides coach football

it is not like he is going to be banging all the hot chicks even with all that money

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I dont really know what to make of this move...making a lateral move at best to coach for one of the OTHER massive pricks and micromanaging fucks in college football, in a shittier weather state seems...odd.

Also if that is that guys real picture, we need to get him more camera time, Mangino-style, years ago. 

Tennessee plucked Jim Chaney away from Georgia with a lucrative deal that could make him the highest-paid offensive coordinator in college football in 2019.

The Vols lured Chaney away from the Bulldogs with a three-year deal worth $4.8 million, according to a memorandum of understanding released by Tennessee on Wednesday shortly after Chaney's hire was officially announced.

Michigan's Pep Hamilton was the highest-paid offensive coordinator in the country in 2018 with a salary of $1.45 million, according to the USA Today salary database, but Chaney will make more than that in each of his three-year deal at Tennessee.

Maybe Chaney wasn't forced out.  What the hell is Tennessee thinking?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

Maybe Chaney wasn't forced out.  What the hell is Tennessee thinking?

The funniest part is they've done this before.  Chaney was there from 2009-12 under Kiffin/Dooley and they hated him.  Chaney is only marginally valuable if he brings his buddy Sam Pittman with him, and as of now that doesn't appear to be happening.

Laughable that he would be the highest paid.  Also, unless they shake up the staff more, it appears he will be coaching QB's which is not good.  His position responsibility needs to be TE.

Edited by Don Johnson

23 hours ago, Extra Anejo said:

I'm shocked that Saban hasn't quit yet. He's like 68 years old and unless he wins a natty, it's not a successful season. 

I’m sure he remembers what happened with Bear Brynt, old fart keeled over a month after retiring from Bama.  It’s a death sentence no matter how you slice it.