CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

11 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Neal Brown didn't keep Tony Gibson as DC and I read earlier today that he has landed with NC State as DC.  Wonder if he will try to stay with some type of 3-3-5 there.

Gibson interviewed for WVU Head Coaching job when Holgy left...... so probably difficult to keep on staff for Neal Brown.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Belichick may hire another former NFL HC to his Staff for next year...... Greg Schiano.   Multiple NFL reporters have mentioned the Patriots as a likely landing spot for Schiano.

Bret Bielema also currently on NE staff as Consultant to Head Coach

Bert is working without pay.  His only compensation is the unlimited supply of Kraft mac and cheese

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Belichick may hire another former NFL HC to his Staff for next year...... Greg Schiano.   Multiple NFL reporters have mentioned the Patriots as a likely landing spot for Schiano.

Bielema: yeah, I’m Consultant Head Coach of the New England Patriots. It’s a pretty big deal.

Belichek: No Bret, you’re Consultant to the Head Coach.

Bielema: 

F06bPD.gif

• Like 2

Major still doesn't have a job.  I wonder if Herman will bring him on staff in some capacity (even if just in a QC role)?  I also wonder, if he does so, what Major has picked up from his time with Kendall Briles, and how that could help us continue to stoke the development of our running game.

At this point, given the utter silence surrounding Beaty (despite him being considered an ace recruiter and good-to-very-good position coach), I think it's a fait accompli that he'll be on staff once we get past NSD2.

• Like 1

One HC job left open:

School Out Why? In
Akron Terry Bowden Fired Tom Arth
Appalachian State Scott Satterfield Move to Louisville Eli Drinkwitz
Bowling Green Mike Jinks Fired Scot Loeffler
Central Michigan John Bonamego Fired Jim McElwain
Charlotte Brad Lambert Fired Will Healy
Colorado Mike MacIntyre Fired Mel Tucker
East Carolina Scottie Montgomery Fired Mike Houston
Georgia Tech Paul Johnson Retired Geoff Collins
Houston Major Applewhite Fired Dana Holgorsen
Kansas David Beaty Fired Les Miles
Kansas State Bill Snyder "Retired" Chris Klieman
Liberty Turner Gill Retired Hugh Freeze
Louisville Bobby Petrino Fired Scott Satterfield
Maryland DJ Durkin Fired Mike Locksley
Massachusetts Mark Whipple Fired Walt Bell
Miami Mark Richt Retired Manny Diaz
North Carolina Larry Fedora Fired Mack Brown
Northern Illinois Rod Carey Move to Philadelphia  
Ohio State Urban Meyer Retired (for now) Ryan Day
Temple - Part I Geoff Collins Move to Atlanta Manny Diaz
Temple - Part II Manny Diaz Move to Miami Rod Carey
Texas State Everett Withers Fired Jake Spavital
Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury Fired Matt Wells
Troy Neal Brown Move to Morgantown Chip Lindsey
Utah State Matt Wells Move to Lubbock Gary Anderson
West Virginia Dana Holgorsen Move to Houston Neal Brown
Western Kentucky Mike Sanford Fired Tyson Helton

Major will never be back at Texas and that is how it should be Texas does not need to revisit that baggage

at this point Major would probably be smart to sit out a year all the remaining job openings are tenuous at best with little upside for Major showing he made a difference with the offense compared to the downside of the overall program failing

next year looks to be another blowout year for coaching changes after all the old retired guys came in off the bench this year and with some of the surprise hirings made and with some big programs that will probably kick off coaching changes next year

at worst Major will be in line for a good OC job with a coach getting a fresh 3-4 years and at best Holgar will fail in a "Major" way at UH and some program caught off guard with needing to hire a coach will take a chance on Major

most likely as shitty as his UH contract was for Major there is an offset to his payout if he takes a new job so fuck UH let them pay the full freight while Major takes a year off and looks for the right fit instead of fucking up a second time in a row and taking an OC job that is a poor fit and or is with a coach that is himself on the hot seat....or perhaps Major can get some off the field position )quality control) for low dollars (letting UH pay the bills) and Major gets his name attached to a successful coach

He took a huge risk with that UH job and their ridiculous expectations and it turned out even shittier for him than most people expected he does not need to fuck up again and repeatt he same mistake as a coordinator or lower position than that especially when he is getting paid this year no matter what

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is there are Major embargo or he just won't be back because there is better out there?

Wasn't he coming with Herman had Orlando gotten the UH job instead of him?

Major is not good enough, but also the whole having sex with a trainer while a coach here thing

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is there are Major embargo or he just won't be back because there is better out there?

Wasn't he coming with Herman had Orlando gotten the UH job instead of him?

I think it maybe has to be about how Bev Kearney (you know, won 6 national championships in chick's track Bev) got fired for banging an athlete but Major fucked a trainer on a bowl trip and was allowed to keep his job, with some counseling. And it ended up costing the university over a million dollars between lawyers and settlement to Bev. It's not Major's fault that they got treated differently for basically the same thing, but he's the fall guy and isn't welcome because of it.

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Major is not good enough, but also the whole having sex with a trainer while a coach here thing

well not just that, but he was not fired for banging a person in a subordinate position while bev was fired for diddling her athletes and then brought the huge lawsuit with gender and race mixed in

it took years for UT to get that taken care of and hiring Major back would most likely open it all back up much less how UT could handle future issues like that especially with a female or minority coach (much less one that is both)

On 1/15/2019 at 10:07 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Man, the Vols are really puttin' the band back together, just like Mack on the other side of the Smokies. I have a die-hard Vol fan friend and he calls this a "Peoples Revolution," and he means that as a compliment. We'll see. 

With Pruitt and Martin around, some peoples that are 17-18 years old and good at football are about to get a whole lot wealthier, so they've got that going on.

20 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

at this point Major would probably be smart to sit out a year all the remaining job openings are tenuous at best with little upside for Major showing he made a difference with the offense compared to the downside of the overall program failing

Major has experience sitting out a year. 

24 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Major will never be back at Texas and that is how it should be Texas does not need to revisit that baggage

next year looks to be another blowout year for coaching changes after all the old retired guys came in off the bench this year and with some of the surprise hirings made and with some big programs that will probably kick off coaching changes next year

at worst Major will be in line for a good OC job with a coach getting a fresh 3-4 years and at best Holgar will fail in a "Major" way at UH and some program caught off guard with needing to hire a coach will take a chance on Major

most likely as shitty as his UH contract was for Major there is an offset to his payout if he takes a new job so fuck UH let them pay the full freight while Major takes a year off and looks for the right fit instead of fucking up a second time in a row and taking an OC job that is a poor fit and or is with a coach that is himself on the hot seat....or perhaps Major can get some off the field position )quality control) for low dollars (letting UH pay the bills) and Major gets his name attached to a successful coach

He took a huge risk with that UH job and their ridiculous expectations and it turned out even shittier for him than most people expected he does not need to fuck up again and repeatt he same mistake as a coordinator or lower position than that especially when he is getting paid this year no matter what

Great post, but I don't think Major took a risk at all.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, LTtxfan said:

Am I the only one that is confused by this. What in the absolute fuck could Bielema tell Bill Belichick about anything related to football  that he wouldn’t laugh about? The only reason I could imagine he is there is to be court jester to the king to cheer ‘ol Bill up. “Bring in the fool”!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Am I the only one that is confused by this. What in the absolute fuck could Bielema tell Bill Belichick about anything related to football  that he wouldn’t laugh about? The only reason I could imagine he is there is to be court jester to the king to cheer ‘ol Bill up. “Bring in the fool”!

Why does Saban employ Butch Jones?

3 hours ago, Wishbone said:

jen-bielema-vegas-594x594_crop_north.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Man, I know Saban loses coaches all the time, but this year seems more than normal.

Agree. Something brewing, everyone who can leave is leaving.  I think it reached a point where people are tired of tongue lashings and decided not worth it anymore as the program goes into decline (granted still way, way high near peak) and didn't want to be last man standing.  Probably didn't help to get trounced by a program like Clemson where it seems coaches love working and don't even look around or turn over.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, LTtxfan said:

My, my how the mighty have fallen.