CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

For context: This was last season where many felt Florida could make the playoff even if they lost to Bama in a close game in the SEC title match. They then shit the bed against LSU the week before and lost in part because of the above legendary play. Since then Florida has been a fucking dumpster fire with just staggeringly inconsistent play leading up to the Mullen firing today.

The team quit on him. Bad shit followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Speaking of Utah, if I were an AD I'd at least kick the tires on Kyle Whittingham.  He's had a long, consistent run of success. The program obviously has tougher sledding in the Pac-12 and they took a dip after joining, but he's got them back to regular 8-10 win types of seasons. He recruits better than he should there and gets kids in the NFL. 

He's Mormon and it will be hard to lure him away, but USC or UW should for sure ask what it might take. 

Rumors this year that he is retiring this year or next 

Seems like it was always going to be Sonny...all those other names (ex: Deion) were just for publicity. They may have had an informal meeting but that's it. It's a boring hire but there's probably not much that TCU could do. Too many better jobs available than TCU during this cycle. 

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Plane landed in PC and flew back to Gainesville. No soup for you.

Hmm... Jimmy Sexton... agent to Napier (and most others)....

This is a good read about where to find coaches and a "good" agent:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/08/30a-florida-destin-college-football-coaches

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Hmm... Jimmy Sexton... agent to Napier (and most others)....

This is a good read about where to find coaches and a "good" agent:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/08/30a-florida-destin-college-football-coaches

Yea, most people think someone was running a booster back home.  Last time we hired someone the AD flew commercial trying to avoid flight tracking. 

9 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

The answer to that guy’s question is he thought this was his best ISU team, and that he could win the B12 with it. Now that he has failed to do that, he needs to jump while anyone still wants him. 

UT/OU heading east must certainly speed his timeline up, the writing is on the wall for a mid-tier rust belt school who’s conference may drop from P5 status.  

Recruiting about to get that much harder. 

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Speaking of Utah, if I were an AD I'd at least kick the tires on Kyle Whittingham.  He's had a long, consistent run of success. The program obviously has tougher sledding in the Pac-12 and they took a dip after joining, but he's got them back to regular 8-10 win types of seasons. He recruits better than he should there and gets kids in the NFL. 

He's Mormon and it will be hard to lure him away, but USC or UW should for sure ask what it might take. 

Witt is going  to retire within the next 3-5.  He’s not going anywhere.

It's kind of amazing how little run MENSA's name is getting for pretty much anything. I've seen very brief mentions linking him to Cincy and UW but nothing else.....It's like the whole country knows what a prick he is. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- unless he undergoes some kind of Sark / Orgeron "personal transformation," he will fail at any HC job he gets. And he might anyway. That boy just ain't right in the head. 

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There were apparently background check issues with Herman when Texas hired him. Based on all the rumors here, I get the idea Herman probably isn't the easiest coach to hire at some schools based on his past. 

Herman is going to end up some where like UNT, FIU, Akron, or Troy where his schtick will play because they are dying to win. His teams will do OK and cause some upsets and be a nuisance to whatever major state school is near by. Then someone will hire him at a large state school and his attitude and ineptitude will wear thin on the boosters, players, and AD and the cycle will continue.

24 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Herman is going to end up some where like UNT, FIU, Akron, or Troy where his schtick will play because they are dying to win. His teams will do OK and cause some upsets and be a nuisance to whatever major state school is near by. Then someone will hire him at a large state school and his attitude and ineptitude will wear thin on the boosters, players, and AD and the cycle will continue.

Or maybe he will stay in the NFL and some goof like Mark Davis hires him as a brilliant up and comer. Then Herman feeds half the team runny eggs and Darren Waller will wrap a cafeteria tray around his face. 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Michelle won't let him go to Akron or Troy, Alabama. 

I lived in Montgomery in the 70s.  My dad worked at Burroughs at Maxwell/Gunter AFB.  

When my oldest was looking at colleges, we visited Bama and Auburn (went to Texas).  On our way from Auburn to Tuscaloosa, we drove through Montgomery.  I think it looked the same in 2014 as it did when I lived there in the 1970s.  The only difference I could recall: there is a big water tower near AUM (Auburn University Montgomery).  Then again, I was in preschool and elementary when I lived there, but not much looks like it has been improved since then.

If Montgomery is the cosmopolitan place folks from Troy venture to see, Troy must still really be a shit-hole. be lacking...

Edited to correct my ignorance :)

Edited by boilerhorn

Eh it’s not a shithole. It’s safe and has a thriving cool little artsy downtown.

But it’s TINY. It’s got around 19,000 people. The 10,000 on campus augment what a town that size offers.

Without the university, it’s just another Elba, Eutaw, or Loachapoka. A tiny, safe, boring town in Alabama that isn’t even big enough for a Target.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's kind of amazing how little run MENSA's name is getting for pretty much anything. I've seen very brief mentions linking him to Cincy and UW but nothing else.....It's like the whole country knows what a prick he is. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- unless he undergoes some kind of Sark / Orgeron "personal transformation," he will fail at any HC job he gets. And he might anyway. That boy just ain't right in the head. 

are there coaches in the last 40 years or so that have falied at a blueblood that have had success?

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Brady Hoke is killing it at SDSU and Frank Solich had a really good career at Ohio post-Nebraska. 

Rich Rod was doing fine at Arizona, much better than any other coach since Dick Tomey, until he had an affair with his secretary and got popped with a lawsuit. 

I guess you can say that Lane Kiffin has restarted his career. 

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Witt is going  to retire within the next 3-5.  He’s not going anywhere.

I looked him up and he's 62. Did not realize he was that advanced in his career, which makes me feel old.  Kinda surprised a big program didn't nab him a decade ago right as Utah was looking to jump to the Pac and had been stacking double digit win seasons. He turned down Tennessee. Why on earth did USC go after Lane Kiffin when they had this guy in the backyard in 2010? Could have taken that program on a completely different trajectory..... 

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I looked him up and he's 62. Did not realize he was that advanced in his career, which makes me feel old.  Kinda surprised a big program didn't nab him a decade ago right as Utah was looking to jump to the Pac and had been stacking double digit win seasons. He turned down Tennessee. Why on earth did USC go after Lane Kiffin when they had this guy in the backyard in 2010? Could have taken that program on a completely different trajectory..... 

He's a Mormon that went to BYU. USC wouldn't hire him in a million years. 

21 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s as reported by Jim Lachey who was part of the search committee and was in the room to witness it firsthand. 

I'm sure it came up.  The idea that Belloti woulda been the coach if he'd just sucked off the local rivalry is self gratifying.  But it sounds better than we liked Tressel better.

3 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

I'm sure it came up.  The idea that Belloti woulda been the coach if he'd just sucked off the local rivalry is self gratifying.  But it sounds better than we liked Tressel better.

Apparently you're not familiar with whatthebuck's work. Most of what he posts is tOSU self-gratification.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah, listen, my oldest went to Troy and while we loved it for him and we were very impressed with every interaction we had there - much better than effing Auburn - Troy as a town is……not great.

And then the closest “big city” is Montgomery???

giphy.gif

She’d HATE it.

Alabama people shit-talking other Alabama towns makes me giggle.

• Haha 2