CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

45 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you keep saying that and I'm not disagreeing.  my comment was about what talking heads start saying.  you realize who owns them and that by and large these media types aren't smart people, right?

An undefeated Cincy (or other) in the new Big 12 would not be in any danger of missing the playoff as AAC Cincy is this year. A one loss champ in the new league would have be even or ahead of 1 loss from PAC or ACC. Just like this year, it'll come down to comparison of one loss or even two loss teams from SEC of BIG. I don't think the talking heads will treat us as inferior to PAC or ACC is the point I'm making. It may not matter much if they expand to 12 anyway except in seeding.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

I also seem to remember talk after he was fired that he wanted to try coaching in the NFL instead of college because of the portal and such. Could be that he just doesn’t want to go back to college and would rather work his way up the ladder as a position coach or even a Coordinator. 

those NFL dudes work too hard for Herman.  He'll be back at decent G5 shortly, IMO.   money is too good.  

Do agree that the portal and NIL is gonna be a real problem for some guys.

31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

those NFL dudes work too hard for Herman.  He'll be back at decent G5 shortly, IMO.   money is too good.  

Do agree that the portal and NIL is gonna be a real problem for some guys.

To that point, college used to be much easier than the pros but now with the two recruiting windows and the portal, you're basically just recruiting 24/7 and doing very little coaching.  Some dudes are OK with that and good at it but if you just want to coach, go to the NFL.  The old adage of dealing with crazy boosters is overrated considering in the NFL you're dealing with crazy owners.  It really is all recruiting now.

College football is headed where college basketball already is.  No one in their right mind would take a college job over an NBA job.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

LSU is the most interesting opening because from reading their boards they think Riley is still very much in play. 

Saw this LSU video on YouTube where the guy said "Keep Calm and Trust in Scott"  -- said if lsu wanted Napier that "Billy would crawl bare-ass naked on broken glass" if it meant Woodward would give him the lsu job... 😋

Why is LSU not stopping Billy Napier to Florida?

23 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Which OC and DC would Saban target is the question?   If Saban gets somebody like Mullen as an OC for a couple years good lord. 

Mullen and Saban together -- that would be crazy... 

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I know you guys don't want to hear this, and it might even take you out of the "blue blood" category if you took these two coaches out of the equation but....

If you believe UT is a blue blood without DKR and Mack, and remove them from the record book at UT, Herman is right in line with what UT historically does from a winning percentage standpoint.  If you leave DKR in the equation Herman is only 3% less on his win% than what UT historically has done.  

In the basketball world we don't believe that a blue blood can be created, especially not after the turn of the century.  So I'd argue that Herman might have failed to be what you wanted him to be but he isn't a failure in the classical sense of UT football.  Herman will end up with a job at some point (maybe he should look at SMU) and he will do just fine... Unless he goes full Sumlin.

Take away Bear and Saban from Bama and they aren’t looking great either. 

6 hours ago, Jhawk said:

You've been playing football since 1893 and you've had 31 head coaches.  Michigan has had 17 in the same amount of time.  OSU has had 23 in that same amount of time.  bama has had 26.  USC has had 25 including some more than 1 "interim" but also including 8 years without a coach.

One head coach or 2 head coaches don't turn you into a blue blood unless they are there for 40 years like JoePa (fucking dick fucker) was.  It is about sustained success and that's why I took your one and maybe borderline second outlier out of the equation.  In fact, I could argue that texas under herman was right where it should have been based on both win percentage and based on coaching tenure... Including all of your coaches the average tenure is 4.13 years.

Was never trying to insult anyone per se, just trying to draw comparisons.  For the record, since 1898 KU has had 8 total head coaches in basketball.  If we take out our most successful coaches we still look good.  If we take out Phog Allen, then we are taking out Adolph Rupp from UK, Dean Smith of UNC, Larry Brown of UCLA/SMU/KU, Roy Williams of UNC/UK, and John Calipari of UMASS/Memphis/UK when you look at the college ranks.  You can take some of our coaches and it either doesn't effect the whole or it destroys every other blue blood program.  That's basically what I hang onto as a lower tier blue blood fan.

Herman is a decent coach that could have won a bunch of games at Texas if he wasn’t such an asshole that he burned all donor support and drove recruits away.  

3 hours ago, jinx said:

Herman is a decent coach that could have won a bunch of games at Texas if he wasn’t such an asshole that he burned all donor support and drove recruits away.  

So because he didn’t play nice with the donors he wasn’t a 12 win coach?  Seems like the donors should have played nicer with him when he won 10 games after the abortion Charlie laid in the locker room. Maybe the cause of the problem wasn’t the dickhead coach it was the controlling donors??

Saban doesn’t take shit from anyone. If he came to UT and lost for 2 out of 4 years the donors would want him out too.. right?  Maybe saban shouldn’t be a dick or he would win 12 out of 12 championships??? Is that how it works?

13 hours ago, 'stache said:

An undefeated Cincy (or other) in the new Big 12 would not be in any danger of missing the playoff as AAC Cincy is this year. A one loss champ in the new league would have be even or ahead of 1 loss from PAC or ACC. Just like this year, it'll come down to comparison of one loss or even two loss teams from SEC of BIG. I don't think the talking heads will treat us as inferior to PAC or ACC is the point I'm making. It may not matter much if they expand to 12 anyway except in seeding.

You're overrating the new Big 12 and underrating the PAC and ACC. It may be bullshit, but these things come down to 'perception is reality' and the lack of blue bloods, or anything close, really hurts the new Big 12 in these hypothetical scenarios you're describing. No big brands, no recent dynasties, no blue bloods, no national following, no real TV viewership...that'll put the new Big 12 squarely in 5th place from a perception standpoint, which is really all that matters. Sorry, bub.

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

So because he didn’t play nice with the donors he wasn’t a 12 win coach?  Seems like the donors should have played nicer with him when he won 10 games after the abortion Charlie laid in the locker room. Maybe the cause of the problem wasn’t the dickhead coach it was the controlling donors??

Saban doesn’t take shit from anyone. If he came to UT and lost for 2 out of 4 years the donors would want him out too.. right?  Maybe saban shouldn’t be a dick or he would win 12 out of 12 championships??? Is that how it works?

I honestly don’t know what you’re doing here.  There a basketball board and the kids could start a MAC or FFA board for you and your brethren.  

youre seriously here lecturing us about football?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

You're overrating the new Big 12 and underrating the PAC and ACC. It may be bullshit, but these things come down to 'perception is reality' and the lack of blue bloods, or anything close, really hurts the new Big 12 in these hypothetical scenarios you're describing. No big brands, no recent dynasties, no blue bloods, no national following, no real TV viewership...that'll put the new Big 12 squarely in 5th place from a perception standpoint, which is really all that matters. Sorry, bub.

The New Big 12 Simps versus the Pac 12 Cucks

Best Cripple Fight GIFs | Gfycat

Episode 2 - Cripple Fight GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I do agree with this. The ACC can point to two members that have won an NC in the last decade and the PAC has USC's legacy and OU's new shininess to fall on. The new Big XII will not have a single member that has appeared in a CFP or won a modern-era football NC (unless Cincy/OSU make it this year). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I do agree with this. The ACC can point to two members that have won an NC in the last decade and the PAC has USC's legacy and OU's new shininess to fall on. The new Big XII will not have a single member that has appeared in a CFP or won a modern-era football NC (unless Cincy/OSU make it this year). 

Exactly right. And I'll throw Miami plus ND (sort of) on that pile. Along with probably UCLA to some extent just for the LA market and national brand value for the PAC. The new Big 12 has none of those things. And as we see damn near every year, that all matters when picking teams for the CFP. Honestly, the new Big 12 just doesn't have any teams that people outside their little individual fan bases give a fuck about.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Exactly right. And I'll throw Miami plus ND (sort of) on that pile. Along with probably UCLA to some extent just for the LA market and national brand value for the PAC. The new Big 12 has none of those things. And as we see damn near every year, that all matters when picking teams for the CFP. Honestly, the new Big 12 just doesn't have any teams that people outside their little individual fan bases give a fuck about.

It's all about teams that invoke emotions, and not just from a rival fan base.  We hate aggy and the thieves, but does anyone else?  I know for a fact everybody hates us, and often times it's because we're the most well known university from a hated state. Does anyone outside of the Big 12 fan base care who wins when ISU plays TCU?  Teams like USC and Miami invoke that emotion imo.  They just have that name cache.  Some of that is because they're based in high profile markets.  

Flipside is, I'm sure a lot of people want to see Bama lose just because they've been good for so long and SEC SEC. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It's all about teams that invoke emotions, and not just from a rival fan base.  We hate aggy and the thieves, but does anyone else?  I know for a fact everybody hates us, and often times it's because we're the most well known university from a hated state. Does anyone outside of the Big 12 fan base care who wins when ISU plays TCU?  Teams like USC and Miami invoke that emotion imo.  They just have that name cache.  Some of that is because they're based in high profile markets.  

Flipside is, I'm sure a lot of people want to see Bama lose just because they've been good for so long and SEC SEC. 

Bingo. Sorry, new Big 12, but you'll be sorely missing this all-important factor. Hell, I'd almost argue BYU will be the closest thing they'll have, just due to the large Mormon following factor. Puts things in perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Bingo. Sorry, new Big 12, but you'll be sorely missing this all-important factor. Hell, I'd almost argue BYU will be the closest thing they'll have, just due to the large Mormon following factor. Puts things in perspective.

New Big XII should probably do a "Baylor: Still Rapists, Still Baptists" campaign so they get that sweet nationwide hatred going. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, BYU is a stretch, though I get it.  But if they play Utah, I have no rooting interest, I just don't care.  If they played Miami or even FSU, I'll root for them.  I'll generally root against every SEC team though.  I recognize the B1G as the defacto #2 conference so they're sitting pretty, though I don't find myself openly rooting against them.  And it's not really just rooting against a team.  It's if they're on, will I watch?  A team like FSU or UCLA moves the needle for me a bit more than KSU or Baylor.  Now, ratings could prove me wrong of course.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Franklin took the job at Penn State in 2014 and this is his 4th contract with a 67% winning percentage.

With most of those against average teams. His record at State Pen against top-10 teams is, I think, 2-11. Those two wins came in 2016.

Unless he does much better they will continue to be in the second-tier against OSU, and now quite possibly Michigan. I think he is 1-7 v Buckeyes, 3-5 vs Michigan, and 3-4 vs Sparty.

34 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

if true then USC is really gonna be left with Jeff Fisher lmao

Opening monologue on Cowturd today made great points about lack of fan support and attendance in PAC12...

Said B10 and SEC are where it's at in CFB for coaches.  West Coast CFB jobs are no longer thought of as "great jobs". 

Fans in the Midwest and South love CFB.  West Coast cares a lot less about CFB.  B10 has really rallied to become a strong conference again.  Think about it -- Mich State may be keeping Tucker, Penn State coach staying, and Harbaugh turned down some NFL opportunities last year.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Unless he does much better they will continue to be in the second-tier against OSU, and now quite possibly Michigan. I think he is 1-7 v Buckeyes, 3-5 vs Michigan, and 3-4 vs Sparty

They're all second-tier against tOSU. I think Penn State fans and the administration seem okay with that. Michigan certainly is. But that's a bit of admitting the reality of the Big 10. Hold on and hope tOSU sucks one year like 2016. That's been the Texas strategy against OU the last decade. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Someone out there is going to try to shoot the moon, miss, and end up with Hafley as a consolation prize and they are going to be pleasantly surprised 

Agree that Hafley is a great coach -- maybe he waits a year or two for a better opportunity that really fits him...