The mega-meta Military family/friends thread

Gil Bang

On 9/12/2022 at 1:02 AM, FartingMonk said:

Ummmm, housing inspections are not a thing.  It's in fact illegal.  But I know what you mean.  We had a guy moving to another house in base housing so my chief got us to go help him move.  We damn near puked when we walked in.  Cat shit everywhere, slime on the couch.  We kinda looked around and said fuck this.  We can't do it.  

Nope,  they can inspect with notice.  From the new Housing Bill of Rights from last year.

The right to have reasonable, advance notice of any entrance by a landlord, installation housing staff or members of the chain of command into the housing unit, except in the case of an emergency or abandonment of the housing unit

Back when I was squad leader in the 101st I had to go to a PFC's housing offbase.  He was late all the time and had lots of issues.  His trailer was nasty and so was his wife.  Gross.  Ended up having him move into barracks and his wife went back home with kid.

9 minutes ago, TexasGrunt said:

Nope,  they can inspect with notice.  From the new Housing Bill of Rights from last year.

The right to have reasonable, advance notice of any entrance by a landlord, installation housing staff or members of the chain of command into the housing unit, except in the case of an emergency or abandonment of the housing unit

Back when I was squad leader in the 101st I had to go to a PFC's housing offbase.  He was late all the time and had lots of issues.  His trailer was nasty and so was his wife.  Gross.  Ended up having him move into barracks and his wife went back home with kid.

That makes more sense.  That's more of a welfare check.  If you're saying that commands are doing housing inspections like they do barracks inspections and getting someone EMI for not locking their closet door or waxing the tile.  That would be a bit ridiculous 

The boy graduates BCT on Thursday.  They've checked all the boxes, so now all they are doing is cleaning.  They did the 4 day culminating field exercise (Anvil, I think) last week.  The only streamers that his platoon won were for physical stuff (obstacle course, stuff like that).  I guess they are stupid but strong.  Nothing wrong with that, I guess.  They have family day on Wednesday, so we will be driving out to Fort Leonard Wood both Wednesday and Thursday.  He's already planning what he wants to eat on Wednesday.  I hope he doesn't join the shart thread on Thursday at graduation. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

Good news, no new shart thread entry.  Family day last Wednesday and then graduation on Thursday went great.  He's definitely matured quite a bit.  On Friday he moved to AIT, still at Leonard Wood.  We were all under the impression that he would start today, but they don't have enough students so it's now supposed to begin next Monday.  That also pushed graduation by a week, but that's okay.  It was great to spend a couple of days with him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Congrats y’all, following your service members adventures.

My 1st LT did a good job in Korea and so now he is getting a slot that should have gone to a major. He is obviously beset with questions about imposter syndrome and not burning bridges with people may be leapfrogging. I sent him the latest stats about woefully short army recruiting results.

The other day he commented that “the most dangerous place is a peacetime army” because of the sheer dumbassery on display. Like “let’s build morale by assembling a whole division, make them stand in the sun for hours, and make them watch other soldiers compete in the army PT test.”

For the first time, he is thinking about getting out after his initial hitch.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 3:59 AM, slorch said:

Says here on the googletron that the PGA is 93 years old, not 75.

Spider Man Lol GIF

Long before it was JBLM and was just Ft Lewis and McChord AFB, the retirees and MWR staff that ran the golf course (really nice) on McChord would limit (even if times were available) the number of Army personnel that could play the course on any particular day....You know, to keep the neighborhood respectable. 😛

• 1 month later...

My boy graduates AIT on the 23rd. After that he will be home until moving into the college dorms on 12/28. He will be working his ass off to get into wrestling shape. He is about 180 right now and needs to get to 165 by early January. He can do it, but I am just really surprised that he didn't lose any weight in BCT or AIT. In fact, he gained about 5 pounds.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email on Thursday from a guy in my Dad’s unit in ‘Nam saying he hadn’t heard from him in a while and the guys were worried.

That was a tough phone call to make, as dad passed in March.

Heard some good stories about fire base Gator and I may have some new to me YouTube uploaded super 8 footage of dad headed my way.

In ‘68 these guys were 18 and my dad was 22, not only the E5 but the de facto older brother to those guys.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Son got promoted to 1st Lieutenant in the  Air Force in Aug. We flew up to Dayton OH for the promotion ceremony at Wright-Patterson AFB in Oct. He graduated from Tech with a bachelor’s in Economics in May 2020. Pandemic canceled the graduation ceremony. That really hurt my wife so the promotion ceremony was really important to attend. It was very modest; it held in a conference room with a Captain, Lt Colonel, several civilian co-workers, and one other service member being promoted to 1st Lieutenant. Money well spent on the trip.

Nephew joined the OK National Guard when he graduated high school. He spent the fall of 2019 in GA going through basic. He began attending OU in the spring of 2020 on his bachelor’s in Economics. In Jan of 2021, he was deployed to stand guard at Biden’s inauguration to ensure the peaceful transition of power. During his stay, he slept on the floor of the library of congress.

He’s a Junior and is going to be deployed internationally this spring for 17 months. He will put his education on hold during this time. He’s ridiculously smart and plans on attending law school when he graduates. He wants to get into politics after that.

Both of his parents committed suicide when he was 16 so we try to make sure he has everything he needs to be successful. He is remarkably mature and responsible so it’s not a challenge. He joined the national guard of his own volition knowing that it would supplement his income. In Jan, we’re taking him to the northeast for a week to tour a couple of law schools just so he can see opportunities outside of OK. He will have one more year of school when he returns after his 17 months of service. He will be taking the LSAT and applying to law schools during that time.

tldr- son and nephew make me really f’ing proud.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 7:51 AM, BearSchlong said:

Got an email on Thursday from a guy in my Dad’s unit in ‘Nam saying he hadn’t heard from him in a while and the guys were worried.

That was a tough phone call to make, as dad passed in March.

Heard some good stories about fire base Gator and I may have some new to me YouTube uploaded super 8 footage of dad headed my way.

In ‘68 these guys were 18 and my dad was 22, not only the E5 but the de facto older brother to those guys.

Seems like every week I have a call with my dad about a buddy of his who has passed. Hard talks for sure. I just listen and let him tell me why so and so was fun or a bad ass. Dad spent 5+ years in Vietnam over the course of the war and had a lot of friends. 

BTW- Congrats to all whose kids are serving. Thank them for us all. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to get my Mom out to see Dad yesterday before the weather turned colder today & later this week. Plus I knew she would enjoy seeing the headstones with the wreaths placed. She liked that and was also happy that the zoysia finally had filled in around his plot and those newly placed around him.
Somber but beautiful drive and day in the Texas hill country. 🫡
cd58fa5f01c3c13ae54a45b2f669dafb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?height=350&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FUSArmyEURAF%2Fvideos%2F1128663878037049%2F&show_text=false&width=560&t=0" width="560" height="350" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Edited by mbtex

• 1 month later...

Mine lost one of his soldiers earlier this week by his own hand. When my son left the cav to join aviation during the holidays, they got drunk and wrestled in the woods. That’s his last memory of him. Thankfully he didn’t leave a widow or kids, but it’s just so sad.

19 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Mine lost one of his soldiers earlier this week by his own hand. When my son left the cav to join aviation during the holidays, they got drunk and wrestled in the woods. That’s his last memory of him. Thankfully he didn’t leave a widow or kids, but it’s just so sad.

That's so shitty, and it happens all too often. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 11:38 PM, BearSchlong said:

That's very sad, but unfortunately it's common.  I've lost 3 friends that are veterans (2 that I served with in the Corps, one that I worked with as a contractor and he was a retired Army Sergeant Major) the same way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You probably heard about the two blackhawks getting together last week in night drills.  9 dead. 

One of them went to flight school with my kid.  Horrific for the family, right?  It gets worse.

Spoiler

His child died of cancer a few weeks back.  That poor woman...holy shit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two Apaches got together last night in Alaska. 3 dead, 1 injured.

Today, the Army grounded the entire "non-essential" aviation folks.   My kid is currently "in the field". I hope him flying home is "essential". 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was gonna ask- drug dogs or EOD?

My son's job was in Engineers/ route clearance.  They had some cool shit as far as the robotics and IED detection/ removal vehicles and equipment..  No pet robots though...

Just spent a half hour on the phone with him, no answer on the robots, right now I think they have a few to carry light rucks and are just playing with them.

But this shit pisses me off.  He's supposed to be a Captain by now.  And it's really beginning to fuck up the chain of command in the military.  My apologies in advance for the CR vent but that dumb motherfucker shouldn't be in the Senate. And it's not high-level, it affects all officers.

At the Pentagon, high-level officer nominations continue to stack up as first-term Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) continues his lonely hold, halting all high-level military promotions over concerns that military policies ensuring service members' access to reproductive care may potentially facilitate abortions

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Just want to wish everyone a blessed Memorial Day. Most of us have lost someone who served or knows someone serving. In their honor going to cheers them all with a cold one, or two, and wish them god speed. 

To those with kids in Service, please tell them thanks and be safe. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I was on a flight yesterday with quite a few of the Vietnam POWs who were reunited for the 50th anniversary of their final liberation. Was moving. One guy had a suit jacket with the American flag sewn into the lining and the POWs emblem.

15f9ae337cc2ec589680afbb9e61c2c5.jpg
d2c470cddec2a7bf08df5ba0f696aa32.jpg

That's ^^^ pretty cool (SAT right?).

When I lived in Wa St, I was able to  meet Leo Thorsness (USAF F105) when he was running for office. He was awarded the MOH for a flight and then 2 weeks later shot down and spent almost 6 yrs as a POW. He passed in 2017.

Another POW I have met and talked with is Ret. Col. James (Jim) Lamar (another Thud pilot). He was a guest at the Hanoi Hilton for almost 7 years. He plays poker almost daily here in Austin at TCH where I've been lucky to have conversations with him while playing cards. He has 201 total combat missions from Korea and Vietnam, with awards that include 2 Silver Stars, 4 Bronze Stars with V, and 2 Purple Hearts. But you have to look those up yourself as he is humble about his service. Great guy as could be expected.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...