The mega-meta Military family/friends thread

Gil Bang

MCRD San Diego was fine for chow.  Keep in mind, my palate was less than refined, but the chow was great as far as I was concerned.I probably had way more in common with your pops in that regard. I felt like it was better than subsequent "real" Marine installations.  I didn't gain 30 + pounds because it sucked.

Edited by slorch

19 hours ago, You don't know me said:

And the wife has found several more that I didn't see.  Imagine that.  She's like "I can tell that's the back of his head" and there's like 100 backs of heads.

We were the same. Saved the pictures and when some was on leave asked if that was him and half the time it wasn't. They all looked alike.

Edited by mbtex

I was at Benning, Harmony Church, Aug 85, they smoked you, cussed you and  pushed you around as needed.  No AC in barracks, they were from WW2 and only time off was Sunday morning for Church.  All snail mail.  Food wasnt bad, I put on 35 Lbs in OSUT.  Next stop the 25th in Hawaii, food was OK, unit sort of sucked, light infantry and in the fiels constantly.  Next was LRSU in Germany, food sucked, and unit sucked.  Next was HHC, 7th Corps, very good chow beceause we had a 3 star and 1 start who ate in mess hall.  Went to Desert Storm with 7th Corps, worked in the Corp TAC, pretty cool, there is picture of me in a book General Franks did.  Lastly was 101st, food sucked and the barracks were terrible, dark and old.

I was at Benning, Harmony Church, Aug 85, they smoked you, cussed you and  pushed you around as needed.  No AC in barracks, they were from WW2 and only time off was Sunday morning for Church.  All snail mail.  Food wasnt bad, I put on 35 Lbs in OSUT.  Next stop the 25th in Hawaii, food was OK, unit sort of sucked, light infantry and in the fiels constantly.  Next was LRSU in Germany, food sucked, and unit sucked.  Next was HHC, 7th Corps, very good chow beceause we had a 3 star and 1 start who ate in mess hall.  Went to Desert Storm with 7th Corps, worked in the Corp TAC, pretty cool, there is picture of me in a book General Franks did.  Lastly was 101st, food sucked and the barracks were terrible, dark and old.

We were there at the same time and roughly the same division/unit. I was part of the MLRS battalion supporting the 1st Armored Division out of Germany - 7th Corps.

Hook’em!
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/11/2022 at 7:57 PM, Gil Bang said:

Curious: how was chow?   My kid actually sort of bragged about chow at Benning.  Said it was perfectly decent food, and that there was plenty of it.  My Dad was at MCRD in '60 or '61 (I will clear this up tomorrow) and he remembers the chow being quite good. But he was a poor-ass kid from Pettit TX

While only at Benning for three weeks (jump school in '82), the food for the Airborne sucked. It was the only place I have EVER had scrambled eggs that you could eat through a straw. Not really the way you wanted to start your day. 

I found that the only military chow that came close to the AF was at Navy dive school. Pretty good stuff while there.

My first duty station was at Dyess in Abilene. The AF had a contract with the local stockyards and every Friday or Saturday for dinner was steak night with a baked potato. My unit was on SepRats due to being TDY so much so we didn't have a meal card. Huge made to order Steak, potato, salad, drink and dessert for under $2 bucks.

Probably the only thing better than steak night was midnight chow. It was for all the maintenance, flight line dudes, and aircrews that were working nights. You had to throw on a uniform for that (was supposed to be for night on-duty personnel only), but we consistently abused that after hours of off base drinking. Get back to base , throw on your crumpled up, dirty uniform and stumble on over to the chow hall to end the night.

When my kid was in basic, it was during football season. In basic, there's very little contact with the outside world.
With every letter, I included a summary from every NFL game that I found on espn or somewhere, along with the scores from the college games..  Printed out 3 or 4 pages and included it in the letter.  Within  a week or two, a dozen guys would be surrounding my kid as he opened my letters.  

lol I did the same thing with my boy when he was at boot except I summarized every Bama game last season.

The Auburn and SEC championship game were a particular favorite of his.

He said his buddies thought it was hilarious that it was his mom writing to him about football.

When we went for Family Day and Graduation and he introduced me to his friends, every single one of them gave me a “Roll Tide”.
  • Like 3

Heard from the boy on Sunday.  Last week they took their first ACFT (he got a 550 out of 600 which was top 3, so that's cool), confidence tower, gas chamber, and some sort of problem solving/team building obstacle course.  This week they do their first field exercise and also go to the rifle range.  He sounds great.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, Gil Bang said:

When my kid was in basic, it was during football season. In basic, there's very little contact with the outside world.

With every letter, I included a summary from every NFL game that I found on espn or somewhere, along with the scores from the college games..  Printed out 3 or 4 pages and included it in the letter.  Within  a week or two, a dozen guys would be surrounding my kid as he opened my letters.  

When I was in basic, it was during the first Rockets NBA championship, and they would put the daily newspapers up in the morning on a bulletin board, and we could read the previous day's news/sports.

The day after game 5, we all gathered around to see the scores (quite a few Texans/Rockets fans), and seeing the shit about the O.J. Simpson chase, we were all

Tom Segura Comedy GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

My parents were taping all of the Rockets games for me, and I still have them, complete with The Chase, in a box somewhere.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When I was in basic, it was during the first Rockets NBA championship, and they would put the daily newspapers up in the morning on a bulletin board, and we could read the previous day's news/sports.

The day after game 5, we all gathered around to see the scores (quite a few Texans/Rockets fans), and seeing the shit about the O.J. Simpson chase, we were all

Tom Segura Comedy GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

My parents were taping all of the Rockets games for me, and I still have them, complete with The Chase, in a box somewhere.

When I was in boot camp, it was Tom Landry's last season.  Early on, our senior drill instructor asked me where I was from and I told him the DFW area.  He then asked if I was a Cowboys fan, and like an idiot, I said yes.  I got the rundown every week from him on how horrible they were.  He wasn't a fan of the Cowboys.

For the Rockets first championship, I was in Guantanamo Bay.  I remember watching the game/chase in the beer garden and having the same expression.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, TexasGrunt said:

Ok - CSB - Gen. Franks lost his leg in Vietnam. He was 1st squadron commander (Colonel) of the 3rd Armored Cav at Fort Bliss, El Paso in late 70's. My father was his S-3. Now he use to be over at the house and sure enough.. as the drinks flowed.. he would pull his fake leg off and the other officers would drink from his empty boot... Cav officers. 

Edited by TexasBeta

7 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

Ok - CSB - Gen. Franks lost his leg in Vietnam. He was 1st squadron commander (Colonel) of the 3rd Armored Cav at Fort Bliss, El Paso in late 70's. My father was his S-3. Now he use to be over at the house and sure enough.. as the drinks flowed.. he would pull his fake leg off and the other officers would drink from his empty boot... Cav officers. 

Aussie SAS can relate....

th-3137000090.jpg

th-3654457558.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, You don't know me said:

When I was in boot camp, it was Tom Landry's last season.  Early on, our senior drill instructor asked me where I was from and I told him the DFW area.  He then asked if I was a Cowboys fan, and like an idiot, I said yes.  I got the rundown every week from him on how horrible they were.  He wasn't a fan of the Cowboys.

For the Rockets first championship, I was in Guantanamo Bay.  I remember watching the game/chase in the beer garden and having the same expression.

My Senior was from Durham, NC and in Week 13 I told him basketball was inferior to football....

That's the time when you "kind of" fuck up, just so you can do some PT instead of sitting around in classroom and working on uniforms.  I definitely got the desired result. LOL.

12 hours ago, You don't know me said:

We were in such an information vacuum outside of the newspapers.

Side note, even today, telling my friends that are under 35 about the game/chase, they can’t comprehend how fucking weird it was.

On 8/16/2022 at 10:52 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Ford and Chevy dealerships near military bases are going to be stocking up on even more Mustangs and Camaros.

https://taskandpurpose.com/culture/military-dodge-chargers/

mTGvwMiegajl3NQb9DT5voIMpbDM2gQW-0bMt-Ie

at 24% interest, right?

My son tells me that the cliche vehicle of choice for guys like him is the Toyota Tacoma.

He just texted me all kitted out for a jump, he's almost a Jumpmaster. Ranger school coming up too.  I'm so jealous, I wish I was 30 years younger.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2022 at 10:37 AM, BearSchlong said:

at 24% interest, right?

My son tells me that the cliche vehicle of choice for guys like him is the Toyota Tacoma.

He just texted me all kitted out for a jump, he's almost a Jumpmaster. Ranger school coming up too.  I'm so jealous, I wish I was 30 years younger.

My son wants a Tacoma.  He told me that a lot of the junior officers at Bliss had Tacomas.  🤣

2 hours ago, TexasGrunt said:

My son wants a Tacoma.  He told me that a lot of the junior officers at Bliss had Tacomas.  🤣

My Son called and said He was purchasing one and we luckily talked him out of it. Did not want him getting screwed on the interest rates.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:37 AM, BearSchlong said:

at 24% interest, right?

Son has a Tacoma.  Bought it as his graduation gift to himself in 2017 as a new LT.  He still has it and might drive that bitch 10 more years.  I think it has 70k miles.

Didn't know it was cliche/ stereotype like the Charger is for junior enlisted.

Oh well, he's like me.  It was purchased for the utility/ price.  No other fucks given.  He did not get fucked on interest. 3% at the most.  Times were different then...

Edited by slorch

Son has a Tacoma.  Bought it as his graduation gift to himself in 2017 as a new LT.  He still has it and might drive that bitch 10 more years.  I think it has 70k miles.
Didn't know it was cliche/ stereotype like the Charger is for junior enlisted.
Oh well, he's like me.  It was purchased for the utility/ price.  No other fucks given.  He did not get fucked on interest. 3% at the most.  Times were different then...

Mine bought his the week he got to Fayetteville. He didn’t need a vehicle in Korea.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, haven't talked to the boy in a bit, but I have received several letters. The last time that we spoke his mom was out with one of our other boys, so when he called her she conferenced me in (I told him before he left that when he does get a chance to call, he must call her first and then he call me if she doesn't answer).  They had finished qualification with iron sights and were going to be using the red dot scope thingy the next week.  We talked for about 15 minutes and he said that he was going to call his girlfriend.  A few minutes after we hung up, his mom texted me and said that he had already called her back.  I figured something wasn't right, so I called her.  Girlfriend told him that she had "seen" someone else.  I had thoughts that something like that would happen while he was gone and warned him about it before he left.  In his most recent letter, he said that although I had told him that I hoped that didn't happen while he was gone, he said that he couldn't think of a better time for it to happen.  Kid seems to have his head right.

Yesterday was his birthday, so it was a bit of a difficult day for mom.

This is him.

ETA:  He's actually a lefty, but I guess he's right-eye dominant.  I had no idea.

Sending Lead Downrange2.jpg

Edited by You don't know me
  • Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:
e7509d16750b50f92d5489918ea80413.jpg
Big day!

That's where my father graduated as well.  It's pretty cool to see that Ft Rucker is still where helicopter pilots are trained.  There is a really cool museum on the base as well.  There is a monument out front with Ft Rucker graduates who were killed in Vietnam with my father's name on it.  Congratulations to you and your son!

Edit:  That is not my picture and therefor not me in the reflection. 

f179cb4756196689d692ca27e7cf2b15.jpg
ae3795ee22ef1a0cf17e7be2db9e61f7.jpg

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The ceremony was held in that very cool museum, which, BTW, is about to triple in size. Construction is underway.

Yesterday was family day, and we actually got to sit inside the aircraft and walk all around it.

I assume it was an Apache and Comanche you got to sit in?  Those helicopters are absolutely amazing.  When I was there, it was for a reunion of my fahter's old unit in Vietnam (the 162nd AHC).  THey brought out the old Hueys and Cobras as well as the newer helicopters.  It was awesome to be able to sit in the cockpit and check them out up close.

@Gil Bang, has your son been assigned to a unit yet?  Does he know what their nicknames are?

Edited by Hate

3 hours ago, Hate said:

I assume it was an Apache and Comanche you got to sit in?  Those helicopters are absolutely amazing.  When I was there, it was for a reunion of my fahter's old unit in Vietnam (the 162nd AHC).  THey brought out the old Hueys and Cobras as well as the newer helicopters.  It was awesome to be able to sit in the cockpit and check them out up close.

@Gil Bang, has your son been assigned to a unit yet?  Does he know what their nicknames are?

82nd CAB at Ft. Bragg.

And yes, we sat in an Apache. Not a bullshit display, but a working bird right on a working flight line.  

There were 56 aviators in the class total, 16 flying Apaches.  The Apache,  Blackhawk and Chinook guys (and gals, 2 in the class) each had their own version of family day at their building/flightline.

Edited by Gil Bang

Congratulations to you and your boy!

My boy got word last week he’ll be staying in San Diego at Camp Pendleton for his first fleet assignment.

I was hoping he might get assigned closer to home…….

But I guess I’ll be making my first trip to California sometime next year!

He’s assigned to the Marine Light Attack Helicopter Training Squadron 303. They work on the Venom (Super Huey), Viper, and SuperCobra.

He’s doing something with the weapons systems. He doesn’t say much about that stuff.

733999815017430dcfe8850f039b32b5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 7:01 PM, Bama Chick said:

Congratulations to you and your boy!

My boy got word last week he’ll be staying in San Diego at Camp Pendleton for his first fleet assignment.

I was hoping he might get assigned closer to home…….

But I guess I’ll be making my first trip to California sometime next year!

He’s assigned to the Marine Light Attack Helicopter Training Squadron 303. They work on the Venom (Super Huey), Viper, and SuperCobra.

He’s doing something with the weapons systems. He doesn’t say much about that stuff.

733999815017430dcfe8850f039b32b5.jpg

Just for the sake of information, Pendleton is about 40 miles north of Downtown San Diego, and the northern tip of the base is actually on the country line dividing San Diego and Orange Counties (San Clemente).  The main city serving Pendleton is Oceanside, which has become a pretty nice beach town with a population of just under 180,000 people.   When you're ready to make the trip let me know, and I can help you with hotels, restaurants, etc.  And don't be afraid to fly into SNA if the fares are cheaper. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So we returned home last night, exhausted.  In 6 days we put 950 miles on a rental car, which was our doing.  The GF, who's a great partner, went with me, and we rolled in a couple of days that she wanted to do, so we were all over AL and FL.  

This internet community...well, we get to know one another a bit, even if it is by fake names and we've never actually met.   I think many of you know that I've tried to be supportive of my kid's career.  I'm divorced.  I supported his decision to join.  He told me that he wanted to join, and we made a deal.  "Come back in 6 months and tell me that you still want it, and I'm behind you 100%, and I will tell your mom to fuck the fuck off so you don't have to".   6 months later, that's what happened.  He tried to join the Marines (because he worships my dad and my dad was a marine) but they wouldn't take him because he's got a dumb tattoo that violated the USMC policy at the time.  My plastic surgeon buddy offered to remove it, but my dad said "fuck it, join the Army, it's probably a better life anyway".  And I suspect he was right.

I went from San Diego to Benning for Boot camp "family day", and returned a few weeks later for graduation.  Same for every school, Drill SGT academy, etc. So many trips across the country.  12 fucking years. Countless airplane trips, rental cars, and hotels.   Fort Benning GA.  Fort Jackson SC.  Fort Polk LA.    Let me tell y'all; going to Bliss in El Paso was a fucking LUXURY for me.  Who says that?  Who misses going to El Paso?    Me, that's who.   I  could get there in my truck faster than I could get to the other spots on 2 or 3 airplanes.

So, here's the observation:  Our military...they come from every walk of life.  The fucking flight school graduation...you'd think that this is about the best the army has to offer, wouldn't you?  Tough to get selected, and tougher to get through.  Fuck, the families that were there?  Yikes.  

"Sure, my brother is getting his wings as a U.S. Army Aviator, but I'm gonna wear my cargo pants, flip flops, Jack Daniels T-shirt, and my fucking Ross Chastian  NASCAR baseball cap that makes it look like I work the drive-thru at Mcdonalds.  Oh, and my incredibly fat sister and/or wife is wearing her Daisy Dukes with a Halter Top showing off her big floppy tits and fat gunt.  And of course, I'm gonna hold my Rex Kramer spit cup because I'm a low-class piece of shit redneck that can't live without my precious dip for an hour-long ceremony"

Motherfucker.  I get you may have modest means, and you may live on a tight budget.  There's no shame in being from modest means, but can't you wear your sunday best to a big fucking deal in your loved one's career?  Or, just not look like a fucking disgusting slob? 

It's been the same for my kid's entire career.  Every school, every visit, every single time.   When my kid was a platoon leader, he had to do housing inspections.  He told me that one E-4 would have an immaculate place, and another would live in squalor...trash, filth, and dirty wife and kids. 

What a world. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just for the sake of information, Pendleton is about 40 miles north of Downtown San Diego, and the northern tip of the base is actually on the country line dividing San Diego and Orange Counties (San Clemente).  The main city serving Pendleton is Oceanside, which has become a pretty nice beach town with a population of just under 180,000 people.   When you're ready to make the trip let me know, and I can help you with hotels, restaurants, etc.  And don't be afraid to fly into SNA if the fares are cheaper. 
SNA is usually cheaper and easier for that area by a big margin. We have family in Newport Beach. I am not a huge SoCa guy but I dig San Clemente and dig the surf in San O, just not on the weekends, otherwise it's pretty fucking magical. You can walk from San Clemente all the way down that gorgeous coastline and world class breaks at Trestles, past Nixons old place etc. Or post up at San Onofre state beach, freaking nice chill spot during the week. Classic So CA vibes

I will take you up on that! Seriously, thank you! 🤍

It will probably be next summer when I visit. He’s got 10 days of leave that he’s going take as close to Christmas as he’s allowed.

He’ll be living on base but depending on how long he’s there or if he meets a gal or who knows what, it’s sort of comforting to know that the area is a bit smaller and nice.

I’ve never been to California and the thought of him in a large city makes me nervous lol and y’all know I’m not the typical soppy momma.

He’s all stressed out about having a car and I told him to just chill and get settled - he doesn’t finish this schooling until the end of the month and he doesn’t have to have a car immediately.

He’s very happy today - he just got a huge care package of EPIC Venison Bars and Quest Protein bars I sent him lol.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So we returned home last night, exhausted.  In 6 days we put 950 miles on a rental car, which was our doing.  The GF, who's a great partner, went with me, and we rolled in a couple of days that she wanted to do, so we were all over AL and FL.  

This internet community...well, we get to know one another a bit, even if it is by fake names and we've never actually met.   I think many of you know that I've tried to be supportive of my kid's career.  I'm divorced.  I supported his decision to join.  He told me that he wanted to join, and we made a deal.  "Come back in 6 months and tell me that you still want it, and I'm behind you 100%, and I will tell your mom to fuck the fuck off so you don't have to".   6 months later, that's what happened.  He tried to join the Marines (because he worships my dad and my dad was a marine) but they wouldn't take him because he's got a dumb tattoo that violated the USMC policy at the time.  My plastic surgeon buddy offered to remove it, but my dad said "fuck it, join the Army, it's probably a better life anyway".  And I suspect he was right.

I went from San Diego to Benning for Boot camp "family day", and returned a few weeks later for graduation.  Same for every school, Drill SGT academy, etc. So many trips across the country.  12 fucking years. Countless airplane trips, rental cars, and hotels.   Fort Benning GA.  Fort Jackson SC.  Fort Polk LA.    Let me tell y'all; going to Bliss in El Paso was a fucking LUXURY for me.  Who says that?  Who misses going to El Paso?    Me, that's who.   I  could get there in my truck faster than I could get to the other spots on 2 or 3 airplanes.

So, here's the observation:  Our military...they come from every walk of life.  The fucking flight school graduation...you'd think that this is about the best the army has to offer, wouldn't you?  Tough to get selected, and tougher to get through.  Fuck, the families that were there?  Yikes.  

"Sure, my brother is getting his wings as a U.S. Army Aviator, but I'm gonna wear my cargo pants, flip flops, Jack Daniels T-shirt, and my fucking Ross Chastian  NASCAR baseball cap that makes it look like I work the drive-thru at Mcdonalds.  Oh, and my incredibly fat sister and/or wife is wearing her Daisy Dukes with a Halter Top showing off her big floppy tits and fat gunt.  And of course, I'm gonna hold my Rex Kramer spit cup because I'm a low-class piece of shit redneck that can't live without my precious dip for an hour-long ceremony"

It's been the same for my kid's entire career.  Every school, every visit, every single time.   When my kid was a platoon leader, he had to do housing inspections.  He told me that one E-4 would have an immaculate place, and another would live in squalor...trash, filth, and dirty wife and kids. 

What a world. 

Ummmm, housing inspections are not a thing.  It's in fact illegal.  But I know what you mean.  We had a guy moving to another house in base housing so my chief got us to go help him move.  We damn near puked when we walked in.  Cat shit everywhere, slime on the couch.  We kinda looked around and said fuck this.  We can't do it.  

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I will take you up on that! Seriously, thank you! emoji3590.png🤍emoji170.png

It will probably be next summer when I visit. He’s got 10 days of leave that he’s going take as close to Christmas as he’s allowed.

He’ll be living on base but depending on how long he’s there or if he meets a gal or who knows what, it’s sort of comforting to know that the area is a bit smaller and nice.

I’ve never been to California and the thought of him in a large city makes me nervous lol and y’all know I’m not the typical soppy momma.

He’s all stressed out about having a car and I told him to just chill and get settled - he doesn’t finish this schooling until the end of the month and he doesn’t have to have a car immediately.

He’s very happy today - he just got a huge care package of EPIC Venison Bars and Quest Protein bars I sent him lol.

Have you suggested that he get an electric bike?  I'm not kidding, those things are cool.