Sea of Thieves

jofus

I like this game. Only played solo so far. 

Pulled up to an outpost trying to deliver merchant cargo, didn’t know what I was doing. This group of four ran up to me and one of them shot me in the face. His whole group said “don’t shoot him! What the hell?”  When I respawned they were on my boat and gave me a treasure chest. 

Don’t think that’s how pirating works but thanks for the gold!

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

So you're saying it is worth it for solo play?  I played the beta a bit, but didn't really get a lot of time with it.

Probably not worth it exclusively for solo. But it’s nice to have a solo option to fill the gaps between when you play with friends. 

47 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I heard you can buy this game once and play it on PC and X1. Is that true? How does it work? Is it cross platform?

That's correct, it is cross platform. You don't have to do anything special to play with PC/Xbox users.

If you've purchased the game on one platform, logging into the Microsoft store on the other platform should show it as freely available to download. That said, it's a pain in the ass to play with friends on PC.

I've been having a ridiculously fun time with it. It's almost certainly not worth it solo - at least for now - but it's an amazing time with some friends. The interactions with other players make the game.

• Fuck You 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
That's correct, it is cross platform. You don't have to do anything special to play with PC/Xbox users.
If you've purchased the game on one platform, logging into the Microsoft store on the other platform should show it as freely available to download. That said, it's a pain in the ass to play with friends on PC.
I've been having a ridiculously fun time with it. It's almost certainly not worth it solo - at least for now - but it's an amazing time with some friends. The interactions with other players make the game.

Why do you say it’s a pita with PC players? I just had a friend show me the ropes and he was on PC and I was on Xbox. I don’t think I ever would have known we were in different platforms if he hadn’t told me.

I’m thinking about putting a windows partition on my MacBook Pro so I can play with my son while he’s on the Xbox. Yeah it’s just sailing around and fighting skeletons and other pirates and digging up treasure but it’s fun.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Bump.

This is low key the best game out there, right now. In April, they added entirely new content and have started monthly updates to quests and a persistent lore. Soloing is nowhere near as painful as it used to be. 

There is a Halloween event that will launch on 10/16 and it will include some more persistent content to the game.

Honestly, I played it back in early 2019 and it became a frustrating game pretty quick, but Rare listened to the complaints, completely shelved their original road map for the game, and focused on cranking out the Anniversary Update and making the game feel worth the money before adding things like microtransactions for cosmetics. I'm super impressed by how Rare has turned this game around and they brought me back into it and I'm hooked as much as I can be with my schedule. As previously mentioned, if you own a copy of Sea of Thieves for either XBox or PC, it is cross compatible on your account. Also, if you have the XBox Game Pass, Sea of Thieves is included as long as you are subscribed. This game really is a unique multiplayer sandbox experience. PM me if you're interested in checking it out and we'll get a crew going.

• 3 weeks later...

So many of the players are such absolute dicks that it kills a lot of the fun. Me and my ten year old spent a few hours this evening doing the new October fort quest in an alliance. It was very difficult and we pulled our weight. As soon as the boss was defeated our allies murdered us, sank our ship, and took all the loot.

Fun.

So many of the players are such absolute dicks that it kills a lot of the fun. Me and my ten year old spent a few hours this evening doing the new October fort quest in an alliance. It was very difficult and we pulled our weight. As soon as the boss was defeated our allies murdered us, sank our ship, and took all the loot.

Fun.
Yeah, the new fort has an Athena chest, which Pirate Legends have a specific achievement for stealing however many times. Since a lot of people aren't doing Athena voyages anymore, this is their only opportunity. The new fort is a hotbed of PvP, too. Part of Rare's goal for the game is to always keep you on the lookout, even in alliances, and use the open world to create your own "story" in the game, rather than have your story told for you. Sometimes, that story ends in you running into some assholes.

If you want help doing the fort, send me a DM on here and we can set something up and I'll help you guys out.

Well the next time around we rolled up on the fort with a galleon that was already in progress. We had the lanterns and the skull but didn’t need them so we asked if they wanted help. They didn’t answer so we helped anyway but we knew what was coming. They killed us. But they weren’t done with the fort yet.

So when we respawned we grabbed a gunpowder barrel and some cannon balls and went back to the fort where they were still working on it. Buzz Jr jumped on their ship, killed three of them, and detonated the barrel while I shelled them from the sloop. They sank very quickly. Then we found the last guy in their rowboat and Jr Fredo’d his ass. It was ruthless. And awesome.

Also now is a good time to grind because everyone is focused on the FOTD. Almost every island has a skeleton captain who drops the best skull and a map to another island where there is prime loot buried. You can rack up skulls and other loot and pile on the doubloons and gold. I think I’m at level 38 in all the core categories (which I think means I’m about half way to Legend). It sucks that they took away the ability to purchase unlimited levels with doubloons. I don’t play that often and missed the chance to buy my way up a few levels before they cut that off.

My son likes this game.

He makes me play with him every so often...

I have very little understanding of what to actually do.

He apparently likes going hunting for a kraken or megaladon or something like that. He also likes to ram other ships...

I just futz with the sails and okay the stringed instrument while he captains us around to the next island

• 2 years later...