It's time to monetize, the question is how?

immamac

How to monetize?  

349 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to monetize?

• Purely donation based
    • Light ad support with no monetization after covering costs
    • Heavy monetization and investing back into the community
  2. 2. Would you commit to donating, if so for how much?

• $2/mo or $24/yr
    • $5/mo or $60/yr
    • $10/mo or $120/yr
    • Big daddy club over $20/mo
    • No, fuck you, you pandering cunt.

10 minutes ago, woohorn said:

You guys are a bunch of amateurs at monetizing.

Anyone think they can get Steve Pattetson to help us?

The new proally Chancellor seems like he'd be even better, he's got a dubious fraud background. Let's get him!

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 9:04 AM, BearSchlong said:

I'll donate.

I'd even pay if we had a "shagslist" type deal where I could pimp my company's services. Like "here is what I sell, PM me and I'll waive the up front fees and give you a free bird rub or some scentsy. Sorta like a surly business network.

Kinda like LinkedIn without the bullshit.

Could someone purchase weed with this setup?

Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Has anyone suggested making Cloak Room subscription-only?

Those lunatics will pay big money to piss all over each other.  

I know it's bad form to quote yourself, but can you imagine the revenue you'd bring in just from the multiple socks?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I know it's bad form to quote yourself, but can you imagine the revenue you'd bring in just from the multiple socks?

I think it would have the opposite effect.  I’m convinced the cloak room is only about three or four psychos with multiple personalities posting under a litany of different names.  but they’d surely pay to keep doing it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What about unlocking privileges for the whales who want to throw some cash at it, like you see with GoFundMes. Off the top of my head and purely hypothetical but just to illustrate the format:

$1/month- Thanks for Donation email

$2:month- Badge proudly displaying donator

$5/month- access to SSS

$10/month- double neg power 

$50/month- ability to banhammer someone with a single neg

this is fucking terrible, top to bottom.  negged. 

About tree-fiddy/month is the moral imperative.  Pay monthly, it's $3.51.  Pay annually up front, $3.49x12.  Allow for additional donations, "reward" those however you feel like it (titles, VIP areas, whatever).  Maybe for specific activities (e.g. banner at USC), have separate donation drives to supplement the general fund.

Edited by solamente73
I voted donation only, $5/mo

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

Donations live here:

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/clients/donations/

Subscription for treefiddy live here:

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/subscriptions/

Is anyone else having fuckery with the menu up top for "store"?

Any chance you can annualized the treefiddy? Or should we just do the straight up donation?

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is anyone else having fuckery with the menu up top for "store"?

Well, the menu seems to work (iPad/Safari) but when I tried to subscribe, I entered all the payment info asked of me and when I went to pay, I was redirected to PayPal (which I don’t use).  I went back to the Surly order page, tried again, and was redirected to PayPal which told me I had been inactive, I had been logged out, and to start over again on Surly.  Again, weird because I don’t use PayPal, so how could I have even been logged in to get logged out?

Edited by solamente73

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

imamac is about the least aggy aggy in the entire constellation of aggy.  whatever the opposite is of going full aggy, it's him.

Like that matters. 

Right now there is no plans to differentiate other than anyone who has donated/subscribed for more than 3.50 will get a "treefiddy" badge. 

The main differentiation will likely be people who have donated will get access to the transparency/disclosure forum I will be setting up for 1 year and subs will get it while they are subbed if that makes sense

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

Right now there is no plans to differentiate other than anyone who has donated/subscribed for more than 3.50 will get a "treefiddy" badge. 

The main differentiation will likely be people who have donated will get access to the transparency/disclosure forum I will be setting up for 1 year and subs will get it while they are subbed if that makes sense

I think you are missing out on some cash by not having a 420 badge, dude

Haha, the good news is we can do whatever the fuck we want. 10x Treefiddy annual is 420 so the math works :P

I have updated the donation goal to reflect payments made directly by a few members who wish to stay anonymous, but donated a substantial amount. 

On 8/5/2018 at 12:59 PM, immamac said:

12k would guarantee a year pretty much. Right now we have the capacity to do 2-3x peak with the hardware and planned upgrades that are happening in the next couple of weeks to some servers regardless of donations/ads. 

The colocation/metered bandwidth/power/auxiliary power/never down grid cuz of proximity to Texas capital is roughly 600 a month when you average out the whole year including football season which causes some pretty big spikes in amp draw and sustained traffic (we come close to maxing out a 100mbps dedicated line) 

Hardware costs amortized right now are about 200 over the next 24 months paying ourselves back for fronting it, because we got a hell of a deal on the hardware. We currently have enough capacity for 2-3x peak if we set it up right with some slight upgrades planned in the next few weeks

Software licensing works out to about $1200/year with all things included for the forum, commerce plugins, monitoring tools, and basic support tiers.

Additional services are pretty low right now, but we will need to spend much more on S3 and Cloudflare in the coming months for cdn, dns protection, and raw object storage this will definitely creep up into the 100/mo range in the blink of an eye and even higher after a while. 

Of course this is all with me and the others on the "server team" doing all the work for free + our awesome mod team doing everything pro bono as well. Eventually that should be paid at market on an hourly basis. 

This is a snapshot of today's traffic so far on today, a random non-football Sunday in August. This is about 3x lower than a football Saturday on raw user count and we have a pretty respectable user base. I'd say on a shitty day we have 2k daily active users and on a busy day we have closer to 40k (think mack brown firing day) 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r4KuK9Sh9cvcSMRi7

9VA1sL8i7wz3a-1.gif

I'm in, will subscribe.  It's the least I can do for the time I've spent abusing myself on the Milana Vayntrub thread.  

• immamac unpinned and unfeatured this topic