Ted Cruz is a piece of shit

17 hours ago, YGIFS said:

You run one of the Castros, Nirenberg, Wendy Davis, or Watson.  Or don't bother.  I wouldn't fault any of the five of them for opting not to run.  If you're just looking for a place holder under the pretense of looking competitive, than yeah-run Roland.  And you may as well run him again in 2026 against Cornyn.  There is a way around Cruz through an R primary but few have the stomach for it.  

I pay attention to Texas politics more than most and have no idea who Nirenberg is. 

Castro guys are unelectable outside of SA. 

Wendy Davis is Beto-lite. Runs for a lot and doesn't win. 

Watson is interesting, but he's also getting up there. I think he also needs some sort of event that puts him in the public's eye for a positive reason before he could consider. Not enough name recognition outside of Austin. Selfishly, I want him to stay in Austin at this point, tbh. I'm still getting over eight years of Adler.

Speaking of... how come no one mentions Adler for higher office? 

Spoiler

troll GIF

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I pay attention to Texas politics more than most and have no idea who Nirenberg is. 

Castro guys are unelectable outside of SA. 

Wendy Davis is Beto-lite. Runs for a lot and doesn't win. 

Watson is interesting, but he's also getting up there. I think he also needs some sort of event that puts him in the public's eye for a positive reason before he could consider. Not enough name recognition outside of Austin. Selfishly, I want him to stay in Austin at this point, tbh. I'm still getting over eight years of Adler.\

Speaking of... how come no one mentions Adler for higher office? 

Reveal hidden contents

troll GIF

Fair points.  Nirenberg doesn't have great name recognition statewide right now, but he's making some  big waves in San Antonio (Mayor).  He's a moderate, pro-business, beloved by Hispanics for the most part, and even whiter than Canadian Cruz.  

I think Cruz's have more statewide appeal than you give them credit for.  But you're right...for better or worse, they are forever tied to the Obama administration.  That'll help them one day down the road, but in 2024 Texas...that's an albatross.  

Wendy is absolutely Beto-lite.  Which is why I think they'll run her.  They gotta put up some kinda fight with somebody who can take the 8% loss with their chin up.  She may be it.  

I was just throwing out Watson because of his cross-aisle appeal.  He's so much more centre-right on things than most people realize.  But yeah, once the R's see "Mayor of Austin", they'll assume it's some batshit ANTIFA lefitst and turn out in droves.  One weird thing about Austin, as insane as our city council is, we tend to elect pragmatic, just left-of-center mayors from Watson Pt. 1 to Wynn to Leffingwell.  Adler wasn't even really that hard left, he was just corrupt and an asshole.  But yeah, the baggage of just being from Austin would hurt Watson even though he was very successful in the State Senate and a very moderate and trustable guy.  

I still think Cesar Blanco might be a darkhorse for this, if only to season him for another big race down the road.  Incredibly smart Navy veteran who would wipe the fucking floor with Ted Cruz in a debate.  That you, me, and a one-armed midget named Roscoe would be the only ones watching.  

If there are other options besides Guitierrez, I'm all ears.  So far it's Cruz by 8-10% and not looking any rosier than that. 

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So far it's Cruz by 8-10% and not looking any rosier than that. 

I don't doubt that. If Beto -- who had a sweetheart of a campaign and all the momentum he could muster against arguably the most unlikeable senator in the nation -- couldn't top Cruz, I don't think anyone can. 

And it ain't necessarily the candidate's fault. I'd venture that the state's voting demographics have moved more R (similar to Florida) with the folks that moved here in the last six years.

Anybody else notice how folks like Cruz, Abbott, and Patrick went from shouting, FOR YEARS, about all these blue state liberals moving to Texas from the coasts and Chicago and ruining our elections with their failed home-state policies?  And on a fucking dime, they stopped that altogether and now play up how Texas is a beacon of opportunity and liberty for principled people leaving far-left places like California, New York, D.C., Boston, and Chicago?  

That was all by design from the guy who architected Cruz's first big win-primarying Dewhurst in 2012.  Which is what Cambridge Analytica modeled and what eventually got Trump elected.  Shit is brilliant in its execution so long as you're okay with people eventually being executed literally.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Anybody else notice how folks like Cruz, Abbott, and Patrick went from shouting, FOR YEARS, about all these blue state liberals moving to Texas from the coasts and Chicago and ruining our elections with their failed home-state policies?  And on a fucking dime, they stopped that altogether and now play up how Texas is a beacon of opportunity and liberty for principled people leaving far-left places like California, New York, D.C., Boston, and Chicago?  

That was all by design from the guy who architected Cruz's first big win-primarying Dewhurst in 2012.  Which is what Cambridge Analytica modeled and what eventually got Trump elected.  Shit is brilliant in its execution so long as you're okay with people eventually being executed literally.  

I think somebody hacked into Lobo’s Surly account. He posted in the Ted Cruz thread without a comment about Heidi taking strange dick.

• Haha 7

And to whom did that strange dick belong?  You guessed it.  Frank Stallone.  

That twofer is for you, bud.   

I've actually had several without mentioning it.  I guess the Guittierrez guy getting in early can't help but raise his profile.  To me, it just falls flat because it signals "let's just run a placeholder in 2024 and 2026 until something or someone more serious emerges.  I know there's lotsa time, he was just not somebody I was expecting and most Democratic operators I know collectively said, "Who?"  And it wasn't until FTC posted it, but I didn't realize it, neither Castro could do statewide office right now.  

The more and more background we do on Nirenberg, I'm liking him more and more but I guess statewide recognition isn't there yet...but it could come within 12 months.  

Otherwise, it's just Wendy Davis just to run Wendy Davis.  

What the fuck is Dewhurst even doing now besides LP sidecar deals?  Could somebody wind him up to run again?  Shit, never mind...just saw he'd be 79 on election day.  

May as well pivot back to speculation on whether or not Cruz runs again for POTUS.  

Because transplants elected Cruz over Beto. Natives chose Beto over Cruz.
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Wendy is absolutely Beto-lite.  Which is why I think they'll run her.  They gotta put up some kinda fight with somebody who can take the 8% loss with their chin up.  She

The GOP is all in on Abortion and shitting all over women and Texas is the tip of the spear in that regard (the would-be pill ban that affected the nation came out of Texas).  The current legislature and state government is trying to shove religion down the throats of school kids, and they are trying to work against minorities entering colleges, and college-aged youth voting in general.  The DEI stuff was the first step - I'm surprised they aren't going after HBCUs. 

She could do better than Beto.

I would prefer Eva Longoria, but Davis has been handed a few percentage points in an election just because Republicans can't stop shitting on women and minorities and they are taking it up to an 11.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

May as well pivot back to speculation on whether or not Cruz runs again for POTUS.  

He's done.  Trump emasculated him in front of America.  He doesn't do as well in Texas as he should be doing given the climate, which does not translate well nationally (plus his TV presence and voice are a huge turnoff for a lot of people).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I'm not going to stand by and watch you people smear the conclusions of a legitimate commission.  No way.

Aren't commission and committing derived from the same base latin terms?  As in Ted has a commission and Heidi has committed.  With whom?  You guessed it.  Frank Stallone.  Sorry, can't help myself today.  I'm just fucking cracking up that Ted is starting to form a 2024 POTUS strategy.  I mean, I'm sure I'm the last to know but I just think it's precious he's gonna go another 12 rounds with Trump but start sucking his balls in Round 2 while the ringside announcer is like, "Well in a sudden turn of events, with the TKO rule not even in effect, Cruz has dropped to his knees and opened his softly-bearded mouth. What do you make of this Ernie?"  

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Aren't commission and committing derived from the same base latin terms?  As in Ted has a commission and Heidi has committed.  With whom?  You guessed it.  Frank Stallone.  Sorry, can't help myself today.  I'm just fucking cracking up that Ted is starting to form a 2024 POTUS strategy.  I mean, I'm sure I'm the last to know but I just think it's precious he's gonna go another 12 rounds with Trump but start sucking his balls in Round 2 while the ringside announcer is like, "Well in a sudden turn of events, with the TKO rule not even in effect, Cruz has dropped to his knees and opened his softly-bearded mouth. What do you make of this Ernie?"  

If Trump somehow goes down/becomes nonviable as a candidate for some reason (take your pic - illness, major GOP donors publicly bail on him and pledge to back others, polling takes a downturn for some reason, the legal stuff actually sticks, whatever), then Cruz absolutely jumps in, but only when he thinks Trump is out of the race and DeSantis is who he'd be dealing with - Cruz is a piece of shit, but he could go deep in the primaries with DeSantis.

If Trump remains viable, Cruz does not jump in until 2028.  He's not going head-to-head with Trump, he's not going to risk losing the Texas primary, and he's not going to risk Trump damaging him further as he tries to keep his Senate seat.

It's the same with DeSantis, he wants to give off the appearance that he could be a viable candidate for the never Trumpers, but he needs Trump out of the way before the primaries.

Both men, and anybody else in it, are betting that MAGA will come somewhat come around and pull the (R) lever in the voting booth if Trump isn't on the ballot.

I can't really make out the facial expression of a lobster when it's being placed into a boiling pot, but I imagine to look like that dumb, obtuse look on Cruz's face at Yankee Stadium like, "Oh hey, how're ya' now?"  

Have some early morning rep.  If you mumble it correctly, "tedcruz's a piece of shit" can sound an awful lot like "mcmurray's a piece of shit." Except McMurray is actually awesome in many ways and his wife still loves him.  In a kind of weird, polyamorous swinging way.  NTTAWWT.  I wish Letterkenny would weigh in on Canada's worst citizen, but I get that they don't go political.  

Thankfully, Ted's face isn't in this video.  But this woman's testimony before Congress is very powerful.  We're just getting started with shit like this unfortunately:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/cruz-cornyn-abortion-hearing-b2327684.html

My new nickname for Ted, "The Tragically Shit" 

12 hours ago, Bullneck said:

If I ever end up in this situation, I think the thing to do is go completely passive aggresive.   Don't call him out directly.  But sit there talking to your seatmate loud enough for him to hear with comments like "Remember that Senator who galivanted off to Mexico with his family when the weather got bad and left his poor pooch home alone?   That is quite to terrible person to do that.   I can't imagine abanding my dog like that."   "Oh, I also heard that some other politician really insulted his family.   I think he called the Senator's wife obese or ugly.   I can rememeber which one but it was pretty mean.   And then the Senator just bent over and took it.   Licked the other guy's boots .   Even campaigned for him."   "If I remember correctly, I think that Senator was one of the ring leaders of the GOP that tried to over turn the election.   I don't know the exact law but sounds pretty seditious to me.   It's really sad when members of Congress are so beholden to a cult leader and care less about the actual rule of law."  

Just go on and on playing Ted's (less than wonderful) Greatest Hits without directly saying his name.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/26/2023 at 9:04 AM, safe sex said:

So this is just nbd, yeah?

Sadly, yeah. Was anybody with a fucking brain under the impression before hearing this audio that Cruz was dutifully working towards an orderly transition of power? The entire GQP was in on this type of butt-fuckery, and half of today's congress is disappointed they couldn't pull it off. There are no ramifications for any of these treasonous shitbags, because the Biden/Congressional dems/Garland's DOJ are apparently incompetent and/or a gigantic bunch of pussies. 

The only ones that will take the fall for the treasonous election bullshit are the low level rubes that Trump summoned to DC. Those in power like Cruz are free to continue the destruction of our democracy with no fucks given. 

• Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...