Captain Picard is back

Michael Knight

There is so much to like about this and yet the basic plot has such a lazy and stupid premise that it just doesn't work for me...

Spoiler

So the girl(s) have all of Data's advantages (smarts, reactions,  strength, etc) and yet are undetectable from normal flesh and bone humans?  Really?  That just doesn't seem to fit in the Star Trek Universe.  All their advanced medical scanners, transporters, or anything else can detect what ever it is that makes her strong/fast/smart.  Really? That seems a bit unlikely.   

15 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

There is so much to like about this and yet the basic plot has such a lazy and stupid premise that it just doesn't work for me...

Hide contents

So the girl(s) have all of Data's advantages (smarts, reactions,  strength, etc) and yet are undetectable from normal flesh and bone humans?  Really?  That just doesn't seem to fit in the Star Trek Universe.  All their advanced medical scanners, transporters, or anything else can detect what ever it is that makes her strong/fast/smart.  Really? That seems a bit unlikely.   

Dude, it's a Star Trek series.  And so far a good one.  Stop.

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

This

18 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Reveal hidden contents

Arguably, we really haven't even seen the true plot - we had a subplot or two that ended, but the main one has barely started (if it did).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Arguably, we really haven't even seen the true plot - we had a subplot or two that ended, but the main one has barely started (if it did).

Some reviews are saying that episode 3 is when things start to come together plot-wise.

Also, like the RLM review, I'm glad it was Romulans and not Section 31.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:36 PM, Red Five said:

I thought it was great. Definitely “modern” and not very Star Trek-ish.

Although admittedly it could have been 45 minutes of Patrick Stewart picking grapes and I would have enjoyed it.

Felt the same. Personally, I'd love as much of the old cast together doing little else than pure dialog... almost like a 12 Angry Men type thing. 

It looked and sounded like a big-budget modern movie and all the good and bad that comes with it. No surprise with that, but it just reminds me how little "action" played in the success of TNG to me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nightfly said:

It looked and sounded like a big-budget modern movie and all the good and bad that comes with it. No surprise with that, but it just reminds me how little "action" played in the success of TNG to me.

Yeah, the TNG movies always bugged me because of the action aspect.  Riker, the best pilot in the federation!   Let’s have him give commands while the ship’s psychologist flies the fucking saucer into a crash landing!

Rewatched with my wife, and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.   Digging the Romulus aspect, and that they are doing season-long arcs.     Makes me wish Ronald Moore had a go at Star Trek as a show runner.   But I like what he’s doing with Apple.  

How long into the first episode until you realized that Picard's 2 helpers were Romulans and not Vulcans? I mean at first you automatically have to assume their Vulcans.  But then they start showing emotions, and exasperations at Picard and, along with the different ear shape, it dawned on me pretty quick that they were Romulans.

Just wondering if anyone else took a few minutes, maybe even 15-20 min in before realizing that they were Romulans.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

How long into the first episode until you realized that Picard's 2 helpers were Romulans and not Vulcans? I mean at first you automatically have to assume their Vulcans.  But then they start showing emotions, and exasperations at Picard and, along with the different ear shape, it dawned on me pretty quick that they were Romulans.

Just wondering if anyone else took a few minutes, maybe even 15-20 min in before realizing that they were Romulans.

As soon as we saw them my wife said look "Vulcans" and I said "maybe could be Romulans too" just a hunch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hornbri said:

As soon as we saw them my wife said look "Vulcans" and I said "maybe could be Romulans too" just a hunch. 

Yeah like I said, first thing I thought is "what's Vulcan's doing taking care of him".  But then they started talking like, well, humans, even being a bit sarcastic and stuff and I was like, no way...those are Romulans.

Re: the Romulan "caregivers"... Two things:

1). Yes, I really liked that they didn't hit you over the head and make them say something blindingly obvious like "Well when I was a young boy on Romulus" or the like. Let the story evolve where you have that "ah ha, those are Romulans!" moment at your own pace.

2). I think these two are going to play a much bigger, more important role with a larger backstory as the season progresses. Just a hunch. They don't seem like disposable "cook and butler" characters.

17 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Re: the Romulan "caregivers"... Two things:

1). Yes, I really liked that they didn't hit you over the head and make them say something blindingly obvious like "Well when I was a young boy on Romulus" or the like. Let the story evolve where you have that "ah ha, those are Romulans!" moment at your own pace.

2). I think these two are going to play a much bigger, more important role with a larger backstory as the season progresses. Just a hunch. They don't seem like disposable "cook and butler" characters.

Based on the last episode, more of their backstory was revealed, and I'd say you're absolutely correct.  Not just throw away characters IMO.

Wonder what the angle is on them adding the f-bomb to TNG-based Star Trek.  
Quite the twist when that Admiral lights him up like that. And yeah, dropping the F bomb in a Trek show/movie sure got my attention.
Too much exposition. Too many people having conversations about what is happening. And god damn everyone in Starfleet sure is an incredible asshole now.
I kindly disagree. There's quite a bit of exposition, but there's a lot of story to tell. Seems to me like they're doing both out at the right pace.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:
1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Quite the twist when that Admiral lights him up like that. And yeah, dropping the F bomb in a Trek show/movie sure got my attention

I remember the move theater gasping when Data had his “oh shit” moment.  

When Tilly did it in Discovery, it was like “okay”.  Kind of surprised they’d do it with Picard.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

So what are the spoiler rules in this thread? Is it "buyer beware" for people who haven't seen the latest episode? Or do we need to "spoiler that shit?"

I don't know, but if you have younger children, just know they drop the F-bomb a couple of times in the latest episode.

But then, if you're cool with them seeing a dude get knifed in the chest, and Dahj getting acid-melted/explodey, you're probably cool with that.

Probably spoiler until the next episode?  Or at least through the weekend until Monday?  If you haven't seen the new episode by Monday, that's kind of on you.  We can't go the entire season spoiler tagging every episode for the entire season, lol.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:56 AM, Drew said:

I knew they were Romulans as soon as I saw them. I deduced from the trailers that this series would follow the Hobus supernova, then seeing the two at chateau Picard confirmed them as refugees from the rescue. I dont want to get into episode 2 since it just came out. However, suffice it to say... i did not expect them to be this kind of Romulans.

I really appreciate that this series gives the audience a view of the STU after said supernova and ties all things together.im excited about where this series will take us and what lies ahead for us to uncover.

8 hours ago, Drew said:

Probably spoiler until the next episode?  Or at least through the weekend until Monday?  If you haven't seen the new episode by Monday, that's kind of on you.  We can't go the entire season spoiler tagging every episode for the entire season, lol.

I think Monday is good.  Gives people the chance to watch over the weekend.  

• Like 1

After watching Episode 2

Turns out this wasn't Trek's F-bomb.  Discovery did it in Season 1.

I don't think we're gonna see much for plot twists, and I'm glad for that.  Rather than plot twists, we're getting slow exposition of what all's going on. The Mars attack in particular.

I assume all of Picard's TNG crew left Star Fleet as well?  Sounds like Picard disobeyed orders during the evacuation of Romulus and you gotta think all of his senior officers were with him.

They're integrating this story well with the Trek universe.  Not hitting us over the head with past storylines, but bringing them in.

Cinematography, dialogue, story flow, etc.   All the stuff a good show needs regardless of everything else, this has.

By the end of the season, if we don't get a full reveal of the Mars attack, Picard's actions during the Romulan evacuation and what led him to leave Star Fleet, I'm gonna be upset.  They're teasing us with all that and they better come through.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 8:39 AM, Parliament said:

After watching Episode 2

Hide contents

Turns out this wasn't Trek's F-bomb.  Discovery did it in Season 1.

I don't think we're gonna see much for plot twists, and I'm glad for that.  Rather than plot twists, we're getting slow exposition of what all's going on. The Mars attack in particular.

I assume all of Picard's TNG crew left Star Fleet as well?  Sounds like Picard disobeyed orders during the evacuation of Romulus and you gotta think all of his senior officers were with him.

They're integrating this story well with the Trek universe.  Not hitting us over the head with past storylines, but bringing them in.

Cinematography, dialogue, story flow, etc.   All the stuff a good show needs regardless of everything else, this has.

By the end of the season, if we don't get a full reveal of the Mars attack, Picard's actions during the Romulan evacuation and what led him to leave Star Fleet, I'm gonna be upset.  They're teasing us with all that and they better come through.

Agreed.  I don't mind the slow exposition, and prefer it over so many shocking twists.  But I will need at least some answer.  

Who controlled the AI's into causing that destruction. 

Why they wanted to cause that destruction.

Why stop the Federation from helping the Romulans in particular.

What exactly did Picard do?

And why are the Romulans so interested/upset at the AI's, besides the obvious(they stopped the Federation from helping)

2 hours ago, Drew said:

And why are the Romulans so interested/upset at the AI's, besides the obvious(they stopped the Federation from helping)

With the implication that this particularly group of Romulans goes incredibly far back with whatever important secrets are still important at the present time.   I’m very intrigued that Romulans are going to get their due, apparently.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
  Hide contents

Liked the way they introduced Hugh   Didn’t beat us over the head with nostalgia.   Also, intrigued by the Freecloud thing being some kind of neutral/lawless/whatever area   

Agreed. This idea of only releasing one episode a week is a dichotomy of love/hate. It gives time to digest and analyze but at the same time leaves my brain hungering for more.

Patrick Stewart deserves some credit for being willing to play an elderly character as an elderly character.  

If you used to geek out over the technical details of Trek, give this channel a shot for nostalgia’s sake.   He pokes through the manuals, the shows, and the movies and puts together some entertaining videos covering a lot of Trek minutia   

On 2/6/2020 at 11:22 AM, atomheartbevo said:
  Hide contents

Liked the way they introduced Hugh   Didn’t beat us over the head with nostalgia.   Also, intrigued by the Freecloud thing being some kind of neutral/lawless/whatever area   

Exactly.

I also like how we finally saw how competent the Housekeepers were.  They weren't just all talk, but bad asses and even prepared for this eventuality with disrupters all over the place.

Good stuff.  And I agree about the world building...3 episodes is more than enough, and well done...now let's get to it.

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You mean Strong Female Housekeeper and Weak Male Housekeeper?

Is this criticism? If so, I don't understand it. Picard usually surrounded himself with very pliant, but strong women, e.g. Crusher, Troi, or this new blond Dr Juratti. The take-you-down-easy-with-a-smile type. He did not work well with stronger women like Dr. Pulaski. Part of his TNG character arc was to mostly get over this, e.g. his relationship with Ensign Roe. Likewise, Crusher and Troi became more resolute as time passed. We especially see this with the future Crusher when he was enfeebled by Irumodic Syndrome. I think the strong woman housekeeper helps establish that he was not what he was. Raffi reflects the post-Roe character arc. And we'll probably see Juratti have a similar story arc to Crusher. Having strong, established characters ready to step if Patrick Stewart dies mid-production isn't a bad idea at his age. Oh and most of the other TNG men were please-pardon-the-phrase "beta cucks" outside of Riker and usually Worf. Looks like the pilot will take Riker's place. Due to a likely group of hard-headed misfits, I'm also willing to consider this is part of the long-desired (and planned-by-Roddenberry) fall of the Federation storyline.

Don't you DARE bring up the idea that Stewart could pass away.

Regarding the "strong female character" thing. I think he's referring to the fact that many geeky movie reviewers, sci fi in particular, complain that strong female characters are forced on us unnaturally. I don't see it, and I say they should all just chill out. All the characters thus far are just fine.

• Like 1