Captain Picard is back

Michael Knight

• 2 months later...

I’m starting to hope that this series ends with Picard in a medical facility in a suite adjoining Tudor’s. It’s all a dream. Seven has been visiting Tuvok and sometimes Picard. Everyone else is someone who works there. At the end, Picard dies, but his body is transported to the ST equivalent of Avalon by Q and Wesley Crusher. (King Arthur’s death scene, recall the end of Excalibur.) It would take courage to address terminal, degenerative mental conditions in ST so bleakly.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Augustus said:

First episode was pretty good.  I like some of the reviews I've read, suggesting this season gets back to what made the better seasons of Star Trek series what they were.

They surprised gave the early premier party viewers the second episode. I heard it gets GOOD right away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Since season one apparently sucked can I just skip it and watch season 2?

I told a friend earlier who never watched season 1 to skip it. You will see a lot of characters you don't know. They're Picard's friends. Also Picard is a robot now. You're good to go. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I told a friend earlier who never watched season 1 to skip it. You will see a lot of characters you don't know. They're Picard's friends. Also Picard is a robot now. You're good to go. 

Yeah that sums it up

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Since season one apparently sucked can I just skip it and watch season 2?

Please, for the love of God, skip Season 1.

7 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I'm hoping at some point this season Q addresses this and snaps his fingers to fix it. Such a stupid and worthless plot point. 

I'm in for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rich from the review above mentioned a theory that has me fucking groaning, because it could be true in the Kurzmanverse

Spoiler

Picard's mom (as imagined in Picard S2) is the Borg Queen

What if Picard's mom was dragged away from him (remember the green lighting) by the Borg, who may have been trying to alter Picard's past or get to Picard.

And the Borg Queen, right before Q hops into the fray, says "Look up" which is what Picard's mom had said to him in the observatory.

Picard doesn't remember everything that happened with , but he's been obsessed with getting to space ever since.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:47 AM, Red Five said:

So far so good. Much better than season one. 

Hide contents

Even if the whole "undue the damage in the past to repair the future" thing has been done a bunch. 

I liked Q's "That's so 'Yesterday's Enterprise' of you" line.

Not to mention his Mirror Darkly line.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is a minor nitpick, but I really hate that the Borg queen is smarmy and arrogant.  That just doesn't seem consistent with a creature that evolved.  Those emotional behaviors are an expression of (and response to) feelings of insecurity.  Nobody behaves that way unless their ego is threatened.  

I'm a hypocrite though because I love Q's immaturity.  Nevertheless...

Not that I ever liked the introduction of a Borg queen to begin with.  The Borg were absolutely perfect as a "villain" when introduced in Q-Who.

Part of what made them so terrifying is that there was no individual to whom one might appeal, no emotions whatsoever that one might hope could be persuaded to mercy or justice, etc.  For all practical purposes, they were organic machines and completely incapable of empathy or sympathy, pity or mercy.

But then Star Trek did what Trek always does, and turned another alien species into just another form of human.  

That aside, this is definitely feeling like vintage Star Trek, and I'm enjoying it.  Rios is such a great character.  Formulaic as hell, though.  As soon as they started beaming to LA I wondered which one would be the victim of a transport gone wrong and get separated from the group, etc.

Edited by Augustus

Spoiler

I want this show to be great, but...

Europa is remotely considering sending out an astronaut who's one sneeze away from going nutso?  Not a great plan.

How can a French police man just walk right into a cloaked spaceship?

Caught back up with the show.

Okay, I'm generous as hell when it comes to Star Trek.  But this is just.... bad.

For some reason, in the year 2024, Guinan has absolutely no recollection that she met Picard in late 1800's San Francisco (Time's Arrow, STTNG).  But hundreds of years from 2024, she recalls the event so clearly that she warns Picard that if he doesn't go on the mission to travel to late 1800's San Francisco, the two of them will never meet.

This gaffe had to have happened due to ignorance of Star Trek canon, because the writing could have easily accommodated Guinan recognizing him.  

The Borg Queen waits until Agnes unloads a shotgun blast on her to stab her with the pokey assimilator thingies.  She's had more than ample opportunity to do this. At any time, she could've grabbed Agnes or someone else with whatever she grabbed the cop with, yanked her ass over and assimi-poked her. 

We can't let the illegal immigrants see the transporter beam disappear Rios, 7 and Rafi.  But doing it in full view of LAPD is just fine.

We have to travel 376 years into the past, but we still have to utilize the cast under contract, so we'll just have exact duplicates of everyone, working in much the same professions, who all happen to come in contact with some of the others.

An omnipotent being appears to have the Q-equivalent of MS or some such.  And he's surprised, despite transcending time which means he should remember the future as well as the past. 

The absolute laziness (or incompetence) necessary for writing this bad is staggering.  It's like some high school kids were given the task. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I must now confess that I'm the idiot, not the writers, on the Guinan complaint.

I just realized in the altered time line, Picard will not have gone back to San Fran, because there's no federation, all that shit is changed.

Once again but not for the last time, being judgmental bites me in the ass.

I stand by the rest of my self righteous post.  At least until someone points out the idiocy in my other comments.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

The absolute laziness (or incompetence) necessary for writing this bad is staggering.  It's like some high school kids were given the task. 

Welcome to The Kurtzmanverse.

Where way too many writers are writing what they think Star Trek is, not what fans know it to be.