Captain Picard is back

Michael Knight

On 4/2/2022 at 2:28 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Where way too many writers are writing what they think Star Trek is, not what fans know it to be.

Finally caught up.  Holy fuck.  The writers are just lacking in Star Trek knowledge or just don't give any fucks about the previous Star Trek shows, even though they are jumping back in time.  They are just shoving bits and pieces of Star Trek past into the show - Guinan, Ten-Forward, Gary Seven/Watcher, fish out of water in the past trying to drive a car (Kirk and Spock did this), have to beam somebody out without the people in the past seeing them, etc.  And hell, Guinan has been in the past already (1870s? when she met Picard), and she looked like Whoopi Goldberg.

For fuck's sake, as much as people bitch about the Marvel shows on Disney, at least somebody has a fucking coherent plan for those shows. They are jumping around in Picard way too much, and some of these subplots are just absolutely shit, like the writers have a bunch of ideas for stuff, they put them up on a bulletin board, and then just throw darts at them.  The ICE shit and the cop car chases were just fucking stupid and did nothing to move things forward.

Q and the Borg Queen are the only interesting characters left.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

For fuck's sake.

We get Brent Spiner as Noonian's ancestor.

Actress who plays Soji playing the daughter.

Roman woman playing Gary Seven character.

And we'll recast Whoopi to have somebody younger/hot Guianan, even though Whoopi appeared as Guinan in the 1860s, and they could do the de-aging thing.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Bringing all those cast members back and making the announcement now the way they did, makes me think they don’t have confidence in Picard’s current cast/writing in the back half of this season.  

Why? It was First Contact Day yesterday and we know seasons 2/3 were done simultaneously and season 3 is the last one for this show. Likely that Picard season 3 will be an end of 2022 release bc I don’t think Disco season 5 will be ready for its usual November timeframe - I think it’s still in the writer’s room. 

Picard season 2 -> SNW -> Lower Decks season 3 -> Prodigy season 1.5 -> Picard season 3

There were rumors a while back only Raffi and Seven would be coming back for season 3 - Jurati was in NYC filming a new TV show, Rios was traveling, Laris was back in Ireland and Soji/Elnor were on the convention circuit instead of filming. 

Personally, the introduction of the elaborate Stargazer bridge sets make me feel like it'll be used for something else post-Picard. 

Edited by Js1

Episode 6.  Ugh

Spoiler

So the Borg queen can somehow knock out the power, I get that.  Seems consistent with the universe.  But all the sudden Jurarti is singing Pat Benitar?  With an accompanying band?  How?

Then Picard gets hit by a car.  No broken bones because he's a robot.  Again, consistent with the universe.  But how did they get him from a party, where security people were chasing him, to an underground medical clinic?

If you aren't invested in this show, quit it.  Save your time for Brave New Worlds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Episode 6.  Ugh

Reveal hidden contents

So the Borg queen can somehow knock out the power, I get that.  Seems consistent with the universe.  But all the sudden Jurarti is singing Pat Benitar?  With an accompanying band?  How?

Then Picard gets hit by a car.  No broken bones because he's a robot.  Again, consistent with the universe.  But how did they get him from a party, where security people were chasing him, to an underground medical clinic?

If you aren't invested in this show, quit it.  Save your time for Brave New Worlds.

It’s a bit of a midseason struggle. You can’t do this if you release weekly bc you’re killing your own momentum losing the plot for 1-2 episodes in the middle. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That was a really bad episode. This season's trajectory is matching season one's. 

Yeah.  They should have cut this season down by several episodes, and cut out quite a few plot lines.  Yeah, time travel can save a lot of bucks on effects/sets/costumes, but this is bad.

And I really do believe they released the TNG cast stuff not because of First Contact Day, but because they knew what episodes of Picard were coming up.  It's like they filmed it, edited, etc., got it in the can, then realized it has problems.

I'm glad Strange New Worlds is going to be more episodic.

Shit, that Strange New Worlds trailer is fucking epic and damned near theater-worthy.

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah.  They should have cut this season down by several episodes, and cut out quite a few plot lines.  Yeah, time travel can save a lot of bucks on effects/sets/costumes, but this is bad.

And I really do believe they released the TNG cast stuff not because of First Contact Day, but because they knew what episodes of Picard were coming up.  It's like they filmed it, edited, etc., got it in the can, then realized it has problems.

I'm glad Strange New Worlds is going to be more episodic.

Shit, that Strange New Worlds trailer is fucking epic and damned near theater-worthy.

Lets spend 45 minutes at a gala, trying to convince a girl to go on a flight to Europa. With a weird Allison Pill singing number. 

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Lets spend 45 minutes at a gala, trying to convince a girl to go on a flight to Europa. With a weird Allison Pill singing number. 

They are throwing darts at a bulletin board full of ideas, regardless of whether they make sense, move the plot along, or are worthy of a lot of time in a limited series.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

some of these subplots are just absolutely shit, like the writers have a bunch of ideas for stuff, they put them up on a bulletin board, and then just throw darts at them.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

And it seems risky to me, that they'd consider sending an astronaut on the verge of a full-blown flakeout into space.  And maybe that's the plot twist.  We think the future will be saved by her going, while in truth, the correct timeline is restored by her recognizing she isn't right for it.  

I liked season 1.  Season 2 started off so well.  Someone pointed out that Terry Matalas switched gears towards season 3 halfway through season 2 and I feel like it shows since the halfway point was when it started getting not great. 

Spoiler

Was Alexander Siddiq too busy doing nothing that they had to give us a younger stand-in (Gaius Baltar) in a scene perfectly set up for a guest appearance? 

This plot is going nowhere 

Edited by Js1

47 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I got halfway through the most recent episode and bailed.

Good God that was awful.

The last two episodes might be the worst two episodes of a "Star Trek" show I've ever seen.

The plot, whatever it is, has slowed to a stop. It's like they're just randomly throwing stuff in to take up time. 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I've been waiting to binge S2 of Picard, both glad that I am, and dreading it.  Ya'll aren't giving me hope(as someone else who's love Discovery since the back half of S1

Honest to god, depending on how it ends, I could see binging it make it better. The slump in the middle is more pronounced when you go week to week and episodes 1-3 were so good 

I was meh on Picard season 1 but when I binged it, it just flowed better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This week's episode:

Spoiler

So Guinan summons a Q, and Dutch Wagenbach strolls in shortly after, acting like a regular person.  He starts a conversation and it's slowly revealed he knows what's up.  What a GREAT way to introduce a good guy Q.  But nope, we get X Files, and another plot detour.

This week's episode:
Spoiler

So Guinan summons a Q, and Dutch Wagenbach strolls in shortly after, acting like a regular person.  He starts a conversation and it's slowly revealed he knows what's up.  What a GREAT way to introduce a good guy Q.  But nope, we get X Files, and another plot detour.

Yeah. For a moment there it looked like they were doing something interesting.

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yeah. For a moment there it looked like they were doing something interesting.

Spoiler

The FBI actor played Lieutenant Ducane in Voyager.  An officer in the Temporal Integrity Commission. He interacted with Seven during that episode, so….

Seems a deliberate casting choice? 

On 4/15/2022 at 6:54 PM, Js1 said:

Honest to god, depending on how it ends, I could see binging it make it better. The slump in the middle is more pronounced when you go week to week and episodes 1-3 were so good 

I was meh on Picard season 1 but when I binged it, it just flowed better. 

This is what I'm thinking...I'll just wait and binge.

And I'm not sure guys, I think the last 2 seasons of Discovery(while not as good a S2), have been pretty good and entertaining.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

This is what I'm thinking...I'll just wait and binge.

And I'm not sure guys, I think the last 2 seasons of Discovery(while not as good a S2), have been pretty good and entertaining.

Yes they were! I do agree.  We never got much of a full-on story about how the UFP started out, getting members to join, etc.  We kind of got that in a "how to restart the UFP" 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Haven't watched yet. Is the most recent episode as shitty as the last few?

It's just not going anywhere.  Like stuck in the mud. 

This show wasn't made to be week to week - it was meant to be binged to suffer through the slow parts in 2-3 hours rather than 5 consecutive weeks. 

Discovery also watches better on a binge, but at least things happen in the episode to make it somewhat okay for week to week.  Even if they only advance the plot forward an inch or two.  Picard ain't doing that.  

Edited by Js1

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's just not going anywhere.  Like stuck in the mud. 

This show wasn't made to be week to week - it was meant to be binged to suffer through the slow parts in 2-3 hours rather than 5 consecutive weeks. 

Discovery also watches better on a binge, but at least things happen in the episode to make it somewhat okay for week to week.  Even if they only advance the plot forward an inch or two.  Picard ain't doing that.  

Completely agree.  I binged the Discovery episodes this year.

So many scenes are two people walking and talking, sitting and talking, standing and talking… Very seldom do things actually happen. I’m sure next season with the original crew, episode one will be Picard and Crusher in a hospital room talking, Worf and Riker sitting in a jail cell talking, etc.

• Rage+1 1

Kurtzman feels like The Mummy was his biggest failure.

https://gizmodo.com/the-mummy-2017-director-alex-kurtzman-opens-up-1848834675

Meanwhile, his Star Trek universe...isn't doing too hot.  Red Letter Media was always going to be extremely critical and compare it to TNG, but you know things are bad when you've lost TrekYards.