Captain Picard is back

Michael Knight

On 4/22/2022 at 10:53 PM, Red Five said:

So many scenes are two people walking and talking, sitting and talking, standing and talking… Very seldom do things actually happen. I’m sure next season with the original crew, episode one will be Picard and Crusher in a hospital room talking, Worf and Riker sitting in a jail cell talking, etc.

Wesley, being ejected out an airlock without a space suit, talking to himself...

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

I’m kinda coming back around in hopes of a decent finale. The pieces appear to be there for something with Q and the Borg queen/red-dress-tits-mcgee. I’ll be mostly satisfied if this Rafi character meets an unpleasant demise.

Maybe she can trade lifeforce with Elnor, since she's so upset about it. 

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

This thread dying suggests people have given up on the show, and i"m glad.  Some of us are watching just to see how bad it can get.  If you're wondering how bad it can get, pretty bad.

Mmhm. Picard (the man) is fucked up. Good lord. 

It’ll be interesting how balls out they go next week to correct the timeline and set up the entire TNG crew being in s3. 

22 minutes ago, Parliament said:

This thread dying suggests people have given up on the show, and i"m glad.  Some of us are watching just to see how bad it can get.  If you're wondering how bad it can get, pretty bad.

I didn't even watch this week, and then saw a few YouTube suggestions of review/commentary videos of this week's episode, and the video thumbnails I saw were....not encouraging.

A quick synopsis. 

Spoiler

We get clunky exposition from Picard, as he talks about his mother's suicide.  Spoken loudly, while they hide from a buncha Borg.

Borg queen/tits McGee offers to save Seven (after critically injuring her) in exchange for their ship.  

She saves Seven and they all say, "A deal's a deal.  Here are to keys don't screw us lol.

Edited by Parliament

A quick synopsis. 

Spoiler

We get clunky exposition from Picard, as he talks about his mother's suicide.  Spoken loudly, while they hide from a buncha Borg.
Borg queen/tits McGee offers to save Seven (after critically injuring her) in exchange for their ship.  
She saves Seven and they all say, "A deal's a deal.  Here are to keys don't screw us lol.

So a hologram knows the dying thoughts of someone from a few days prior? Also, they were shooting bullets at a hologram right? Also, it was nice of them to tell Dr. Soong that the gun was about to explode in his hand two seconds before it would have. This is so needlessly terrible.
  • Rage+1 1

After Picard, I’m concerned that the pilot of Strange New Worlds was written and directed by Akiva Goldsman.  I’m optimistic, but fuck Picard is such a beating.

Lower Decks is the best New Trek, unless SNW pulls it off.

Edited by atomheartbevo

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

After Picard, I’m concerned that the pilot of Strange New Worlds was written and directed by Akiva Goldsman.  I’m optimistic, but fuck Picard is such a beating.

Lower Decks is the best New Trek, unless SNW pulls it off.

SNW is getting a lot of good press before Thursday.  I'm very hopeful.  I know there was a 2 episode screening in LA and people seem very pleased.  

That its closer to LD in tone, but Pike is still the Discovery Pike we all fell in love with. 

I watched the finale bc I couldn’t go back to sleep. 

Wrapped up nicely enough - some good feels in there but mostly nothing unexpected plot wise, most of the theories were accurate. Still overall a meh season. Enjoyed the unexpected cameo.

First 2 episodes and last 2-3 were great by themselves, the middle was beyond awful and ruined it. 

Well that was hot garbage.  

Spoiler

They hadta deconsctuct one of ST's favorite characters by giving him mommy issues.  Then to one-up themselves, they totally neutered the Borg, by (seriously wtf) making them an ally?!

Q got a nice sendoff though.  And bringing back the TNG cast, except Crusher, gives me hope for Season 3.  FFS, just give us passable TNG.  Why in God's creation should that be so hard.

5 hours ago, Parliament said:

Well that was hot garbage.  

Hide contents

They hadta deconsctuct one of ST's favorite characters by giving him mommy issues.  Then to one-up themselves, they totally neutered the Borg, by (seriously wtf) making them an ally?!

Q got a nice sendoff though.  And bringing back the TNG cast, except Crusher, gives me hope for Season 3.  FFS, just give us passable TNG.  Why in God's creation should that be so hard.

I feel like this is kind of a continuation of the attitude that JJ Abrams had with his Star Trek movies (and Star Wars), where they take beloved characters and then change them up/reboot them/whatever, as well as take various events/people and retcon them, because somehow by doing that, it shows what artistry that Abrams, Kurtzman, Goldsmith, etc. possess, because that's exactly what we think of when we think of creative film makers - people who just remake a popular character.

Saw this from a review on twitter:

It’s just like someone proverbially dumping what was left to deal with this season on the floor and then yelling “HEY REMEMBER WHEN WE SAID THE TNG CREW WAS BACK NEXT SEASON YEAH SEE YOU THEN BYEEEE!” as they ran out the door.

Somebody who really loved Trek and was a bit more competent, could have found a way to end the season with the Q scene.  Hell, that could have somehow ended the Picard series.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I've said this before, but it feels like the Star Wars shows are made by people who love Star Wars, while the Star Trek shows, or at least Picard, was made by somebody who loves what they think is Star Trek.

Strange New Worlds had a pretty solid start, but I'm still a little worried by Goldsmith's involvement.  Apparently Kurtzman was busy with The Man Who Fell to Earth (Showtime).

Lower Decks is the best TNG series currently in production.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Closing out the series with Picard and Q in the last scene would have been money.  Kinda like how Justified and Mad Men ended.  

That scene was so good 

This season was like a poorly executed, bastardized remake of one of the best episodes of TNG, Tapestry.

Q gives Picard a chance to visit his past and reconcile his youthful choices.  Except, this was awful. 

The last scene with Q was good, outside of that, it sucked.  One of the few new characters of this series that was likeable, Rios, is finished.  I guess we'll see what's in store for next season.  

5 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

This season was like a poorly executed, bastardized remake of one of the best episodes of TNG, Tapestry.

Q gives Picard a chance to visit his past and reconcile his youthful choices.  Except, this was awful. 

The last scene with Q was good, outside of that, it sucked.  One of the few new characters of this series that was likeable, Rios, is finished.  I guess we'll see what's in store for next season.  

Rios, Jurati, Elnor and Soji all confirmed they’re done. So it’s Picard + TNG Crew + Raffi and Seven

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

One of the few new characters of this series that was likeable, Rios, is finished.  I guess we'll see what's in store for next season.  

I want a TNG-era series with starship Captain Rios running around on a Federation starship.

That's all.

I really liked Rios.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

(Picard and Guinan talking at the end of the episode, both are smiling, cheerful music is playing)

Picard: "So, how did Rios ultimately die?".

Guinan: "He was beaten to death in a bar fight."

Picard: "Ha ha ha, that sounds like him."

wtf

• Haha 1

Just now, Red Five said:

(Picard and Guinan talking at the end of the episode, both are smiling, cheerful music is playing)

Picard: "So, how did Rios ultimately die?".

Guinan: "He was beaten to death in a bar fight."

Picard: "Ha ha ha, that sounds like him."

wtf

Over medical supplies. He was sort of a Han Solo scoundrel so felt fitting 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Viper said:

I liked how the first season proved the "bad guys" were right

The TNG-era is always going to have the problem of not being able to top the Borg, and so you can flip the script and make the bad guys the good guys or whatever, but you better have strong writing.

If I were in charge, I might have leaned into the Temporal War stuff, since we saw a Federation "Time Soldier" or whatever show up in Disco wearing a TNG-era uniform.

Star-Trek-Discovery-Yor.jpg?q=50&fit=cro

12 hours ago, Parliament said:

This needs to also be a soft boot for an Enterprise F series.

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones