Captain Picard is back

Michael Knight

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

What does it have in common with 12M?  (I've never seen it.)

3 cast members and Jack’s visions are very much like the main character’s hallucination trips in 12M (the show, not the movie). Sneed was also played by someone from 12M

This was a great Riker episode.

“We’re going to die.”

”Excellent use of the world burgle, Admiral”

”How much of that goo shit did they pour into you?”

And his sniping with Worf. Sassy old man Riker 

• Hook 'Em 1

So we need:

• A Riker as an active Starfleet Captain series (he'd have be de-aged)
  • A Worf series focusing on how he got to where he's at at the start of Picard S3
  • A Rios series focusing on the 9-10 years between when he was in Starfleet to when he meets Picard.  The actor is young enough it could be done easily.
  • A Shaw series focused on the present day (or maybe before Picard and Riker show up on his ship).  Make the Shaw series be a new version of TNG of sorts.  And Seven would be in it, yay!

Instead we are getting these new shows

• Section 31 (spinoff directly of Discovery)
  • Starfleet Academy (possibly Discovery spinoff, since Tilly went to teach at the Academy)

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

Edited by atomheartbevo

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
  • A Shaw series focused on the present day (or maybe before Picard and Riker show up on his ship).  Make the Shaw series be a new version of TNG of sorts.  And Seven would be in it, yay!

Supposedly going to get some Trek show updates soon. And I think a Legacy show with Shaw, Seven, Jack, LaForge is not off the table, based on what Matalas said 

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Supposedly going to get some Trek show updates soon. And I think a Legacy show with Shaw, Seven, Jack, LaForge is not off the table, based on what Matalas said 

Trek Fans, first episode of Picard S3: I don't like Shaw.

Trek Fans, 4th episode of Picard S3: GIVE ME A SHAW SERIES!

10 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Good episode, this has been a good season so far.  I'd really like to see a Riker series.  He's been great in this season. 

He's basically been what we all expected he would have been if they had continued on with TNG in the 90s as a series, with him as a Captain.

• Hook 'Em 2

This show strikes the perfect tone.  As dark as DS9, but still fun.  DS9 was a great show, but it wasn't very fun.  The end halves of Episode 3 was basically a movie finale.  Episode 6 as well.

Character reviews, in no particular order.  Spoiled, just in case:

Spoiler

Picard: They took his character as far as it goes a long time ago.  Just the way it is.

Dr. Crusher: Still background noise, but not as annoying.

Troi: She became her mother.

Raffi: I don't dislike her as most people her.  Worf brings out her best.

Riker: He was overshadowed by Picard in the series, and frankly phoned it in through Season 5.  Now we're finally getting the "Gary Cooper" that he was always supposed to be.

7 o'9: TBH, I was never a fan, but she does fine.

Jack Crusher: meh.  Whiny little twerp.  His mother's son.  Needs Worf to straighten him up.  I DO like seeing him run game on Geordi's daughter.  

Worf: Oh yeah baby.  That's how you advance a character through a 20 year break.  

Shaw: He's awesome.  We have discussed this.

Geordi: I don't like how they made him an overprotective father.  But we're getting Burton's best acting of the series.  (He wasn't very good at acting in TNG.

Data: Just criminal that they killed him off in Nemesis.  Bringing him back in B4, along with Lore is the best way to bring him back.  

Geordi's daughter: She has potential.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Wow, he said quite a bit.  Even threw out a title - Star Trek: Legacy

And Burton and his daughter are pushing it as well

Frakes commented upon it

https://www.emmys.com/news/features/star-trek-picard

If not more Picard outright, what about making way for a next Next Generation? Frakes imagines a ship where the characters of Picard would serve together (and with the family ties, there would be ample room for more legacy appearances): Jeri Ryan's Seven of Nine as the captain, Michelle Hurd's Raffi as first officer, Jack Crusher on the bridge, Geordi's daughter Sydney "Crash" La Forge at the helm and Riker and Troi's daughter Kestra graduating from Starfleet Academy.

"I could be like Charlie in Charlie's Angels, the admiral they check in with," Frakes suggests. A Picard-Crusher, a Riker-Troi and a La Forge serving together? Make it so!

And this comment on reddit sums it up:

Season 3 already feels so much like a backdoor pilot.

They have the ship. They have the sets. They have an awesome theme. They have the crew. They have an amazing new captain who is like the best thing to happen to Star Trek in 20 years.

I'll happily give up Section 31 and the Academy show in place of this - between this and Strange New Worlds, it would be perfect Trek, and a return to what made TOS and TNG work.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, he said quite a bit.  Even threw out a title - Star Trek: Legacy

And Burton and his daughter are pushing it as well

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47mhob4qu6vup9zjtbj4

Not a fan of the Charlie's Angels model though.  Put the LaForge girls, Shaw and a few others on the Enterprise F.  Don't make this a thing.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Put the LaForge girls, Shaw and a few others on the Enterprise F. 

Saw this comment - this would be a hilarious take on a show.

I'd enjoy it more if everything was normal and boring while he's on duty but as soon as he heads to bed all the crazy shit happens and the crew try to deal with it without waking him because they know how he gets.

cut to shot of Shaw sleeping.... Borg cube explodes out quarters window

Shaw (well Todd Stashwick the actor) is apparently a huge Star Trek fan (as seen in his home office below) and has been a lifelong fan, even appearing on Star Trek: Enterprise.

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

First Contact Day is April 5 so hopefully they’re gearing up for some news on what will replace Picard and Discovery and what show we get after Picard (come on SNW season 2 🤞🏻)

Lots of insider talk on social media that basically the Legacy show is a go, as long as Kurtzman is not involved.  People are saying that the way it’s happening is similar to how they spun up SNW. I did a deep dive on the crew of the various shows that are active or just wrapping up, and the live-action shows/seasons that Kurtzman is not directly creatively involved in have done well - SNW and Picard S3 in particular have really done well.  Picard S3 was literally a move by the current showrunner to get back to what worked in the past and Paramount gets that.  

Fingers crossed, but Trek has definitely changed creatively.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

God Kurtzman is an ahole.

It's....complicated.  On the one hand, he had a huge role in keeping Star Trek around and pumping out new material and keeping it in the public eye.  And he helped get Strange New Worlds launched.

But on the other hand, he wrote a couple of the Trek movies with Chris Pine and Co., and those were shit and 100% sheer laziness.  He also fucking drove Discovery into the shitter as the showrunner.

He had nothing to do creatively (showrunner) or directly production-wise (or writing/directing) with Lower Decks, Prodigy, Picard S3, and Strange New Worlds.  He gets a writing credit for SNW (only the first episode, along with like half-a-dozen other people) only because he helped create the show and they used material from Disco.  Picard is complicated because Terry Matalas was not able to be fully in charge until S3, and it shows, and Kurtzman was heavily involved with S1, both with the main storylines, but the day-to-day as well.

Point being that the best of the new shows, Lower Decks, Prodigy, Picard S3, and SNW, that all capture the spirit of the original Trek shows in some way, were all made without Kurtzman being involved creatively or in the day-to-day production side.

Oh, and after Kurtzman left Disco/etc. to go work on his own two shows for Paramount/CBS, Clarice and The Man Who Fell to Earth, both of those shows couldn't even get a second season.  And those were Paramount/CBS shows, so in theory, the management above him should have been willing to give him a second season for at least one show, but they didn't. I'm guessing he's done at Paramount, which gives me hope about a Star Trek: Legacy or whatever.

There's liable to be some tell-all books written about how this huge franchise was almost destroyed/was actively being run into the ground, but then was saved by people who were serious about getting back to the basics because they loved Star Trek.  Or maybe a few web articles.

• Hook 'Em 1

It looks good on him.  

Two episodes left and all we know is that Star Fleet Day is when "it" goes down.  We don't know what "it" is, but they keep ramping it up.

I see the show runner Terry Mathias directed episodes 9 and 10, and I'm confident he's gonna deliver the coup de gras.

A few pages back I said I was against a TNG:TNG spinoff.  May I changed my answer?  The tones and plots of Picard 3 and SNW are different enough there's room for both.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Holy shit   That was badass 

this is the perfect tng / ds9 hybrid 

Speaking of DS9, here's my Jack Crusher theory:

I'm just about deadass certain he's possessed by a Pah-wraith. I might be dead wrong and this could easily blow up in my face, considering the end of DS9.

The overall vibe of the Vadic's controller, the way Vadic was framed in the shot where she's almost losing control while being read the riot act, the way his eyes turn red just like Dukat's did when he was possessed, and then you add in some of his seemingly supernatural abilities (ESPECIALLY those exhibited in this latest episode)...

...well, I'm more and more convinced I'm right. I fully accept that I might end up looking silly. Thoughts?

• Drool 1