How much do you pay for Sirius

• 11 months later...

After much discussion (haggling)  with a person that I was having a hard time understanding (he didn't have a Texas accent).....yesterday evening I renewed for a year. he gave me     (select lite)  for 60.00 plus 12.84 royalty fees plus 5.10 tax

1 hour ago, Hpara759 said:

After much discussion (haggling)  with a person that I was having a hard time understanding (he didn't have a Texas accent).....yesterday evening I renewed for a year. he gave me     (select lite)  for 60.00 plus 12.84 royalty fees plus 5.10 tax

I had the same discussion with the same person last week.  I asked for the 5 month-$25 deal that I had received the last few times. He countered with effectively the same deal, as you mention, but for a full year. 

On a side note, they appeared to have just given me the streaming option for free. Or perhaps I always had it, and didn't know.  I thought it was extra.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Last week they started a dedicated Beastie Boys channel.  Today it's gone.

Fuck these people.

It's a limited run station but I can still see it right now.  

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

Just renewed this week. 2 cars with platinum for about 225 for both for one year

That's in the ballpark of what I just paid for one vehicle--- ~$125 with taxes/ royalties/ etc.  So, there's probably some wiggle room to negotiate.  They said going forward that I would be auto-renewed at this price, and not have to do the annual price savings dance.  I set a calendar reminder to make sure.

Edited by LosIllini

You just gotta hang up and try again.  If this process is entertaining to you, or if your money is worth more than your time, a few days of walking away and trying again maybe 2-3 times a day will get you in the $60/yr range per car or better for the Platinum plan.  Cheaper per car if you have more cars. Don’t even bother trying to deal on the lower plans, they  all seem to have the same price floor-in fact, I think they’ve mostly done away with them.

I usually spend several hours of my time each year playing this game, and this year I’m debating whether it’s worth the trouble.  Wife listens to it, I can’t remember the last time I did.  She can learn to use her phone and Spotify.  I’d reup if they’d just give me the same deal without the whole dance.

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

You just gotta hang up and try again.  If this process is entertaining to you, or if your money is worth more than your time, a few days of walking away and trying again maybe 2-3 times a day will get you in the $60/yr range per car or better for the Platinum plan.  Cheaper per car if you have more cars. Don’t even bother trying to deal on the lower plans, they  all seem to have the same price floor-in fact, I think they’ve mostly done away with them.

I usually spend several hours of my time each year playing this game, and this year I’m debating whether it’s worth the trouble.  Wife listens to it, I can’t remember the last time I did.  She can learn to use her phone and Spotify.  I’d reup if they’d just give me the same deal without the whole dance.

We cut off Sirius two years ago at the start of Covid and it’s really not been missed. The song rotations are crap anyway. Just stream Spotify. Or play digital music off the iPhone, or stream sports talk radio. I drove from Austin to Dallas and just stream apps. I do not miss the annual argument. 

3 hours ago, LosIllini said:

That's in the ballpark of what I just paid for one vehicle--- ~$125 with taxes/ royalties/ etc.  So, there's probably some wiggle room to negotiate.  They said going forward that I would be auto-renewed at this price, and not have to do the annual price savings dance.  I set a calendar reminder to make sure.

They said the opposite to me. Mine will auto renew at list price so I get to call next year. I am just glad to get 12 months and both cars on same bill. used to have to call every six months for 2 cars = 4 calls per year

• Hook 'Em 1

We cut off Sirius two years ago at the start of Covid and it’s really not been missed. The song rotations are crap anyway. Just stream Spotify. Or play digital music off the iPhone, or stream sports talk radio. I drove from Austin to Dallas and just stream apps. I do not miss the annual argument. 

Nah, it’s got tremendous depth and diversity of music and news. Flipping through channels 15-35 gives everything rock related you could be in mood for, old and new. Plus pro sports all through the app. And the standup comedy stations are solid. I drive enough that firing up my iphone for spotify every time i start the car is a whip.
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:27 PM, Axle Hongsnort said:

Nah, it’s got tremendous depth and diversity of music and news. Flipping through channels 15-35 gives everything rock related you could be in mood for, old and new. Plus pro sports all through the app. And the standup comedy stations are solid. I drive enough that firing up my iphone for spotify every time i start the car is a whip.

The song stations have a very tight, and very weird, rotation.  The same songs come up over and over, and on the vintage stations, sometimes they're kinda fringe and obscure.  Like the early Alternative station (1st Wave) plays a lot of Blancmange.  They've gotten more airplay on Sirius in a month in 2020 than they did in an entire year in the 1980s.  

Yes, I am that old.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, AUinHsv said:

They said the opposite to me. Mine will auto renew at list price so I get to call next year. I am just glad to get 12 months and both cars on same bill. used to have to call every six months for 2 cars = 4 calls per year

That's the only way I've ever seen it.  And I used to have to make 2 sets of calls each year (1 for each car), but at some point I went month-to-month with one of them on some $3 deal for a few months and got them lined up.  So there's that.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, Horns99 said:

FYI - they will offer 5.99 ( $7.77) a month over Chat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, just got that deal myself.  It does jump to $17.99 a month after 12 months, so make sure and catch it before hand 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
20 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Got $4.99 per month for 12 months through the online chat app.  Very easy, very cool.

You have to shake your head how so many companies want to charge $15-25 per month but when you tell them it’s too much, they drop it down to $5. This occurs with me with Sirius, NY Times, Houston Chronicle, etc.

at least they don’t require you to spend 20 minutes threatening to quit like how it used to work with Sirius.

Yeah, my experience went something like this:

Me:  "I want to cancel my subscription."

Them:  "Why?"

Me:  "It's too expensive.  You want to charge me $23 / month but some losers I know on the internet are getting it for $6 / month."

Them:  "We'll give it to you for 12 months at $4.99 / month if that's ok."

Me:  "Deal."

That was it.  Took about two minutes.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:20 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yeah, my experience went something like this:

Me:  "I want to cancel my subscription."

Them:  "Why?"

Me:  "It's too expensive.  You want to charge me $23 / month but some losers I know on the internet are getting it for $6 / month."

Them:  "We'll give it to you for 12 months at $4.99 / month if that's ok."

Me:  "Deal."

That was it.  Took about two minutes.

Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

On 9/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Got $4.99 per month for 12 months through the online chat app.  Very easy, very cool.

I finally gave up on the set-my-Outlook-for-every-six-months to spend 15 mins on the phone to keep that rate. I think I'm getting charged $7.99/month and get online/app access as well. As long as they don't fuck around and find out with this, I think I'm OK with it as-is.

16 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Can I reference you, Fudge Nuggets, in my chat if need be?

ETA - they tried $5.99/mo until I dropped a little Fudge Nuggets.  Getting $4.99 now.  

Last year I was at $5.99 per month so I was surprised they offered $4.99. I would have taken either deal, not like $12 a year makes any difference. 

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

I finally gave up on the set-my-Outlook-for-every-six-months to spend 15 mins on the phone to keep that rate. I think I'm getting charged $7.99/month and get online/app access as well. As long as they don't fuck around and find out with this, I think I'm OK with it as-is.

I did this... and ended up at $23.99. I suggest you call and get $5.99...  Hell, I'll call for you, and you can send me $20.

• 4 weeks later...

New offer for returning customers, 3 years for $99, but it ends up around $120 with fees.  Go to this link and put in your info to see if you qualify:

https://care.siriusxm.com/subscribe/checkout/flepz?programcode=36FOR99SELECT&tbview=DM&upcode=U60FOR150SELECT&utm_campaign=OEM_Used_BAU&utm_medium=DM&utm_source=Post-33_Sel-03-yr-for-099_USD-OV-SL

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 5:54 PM, Hpara759 said:

just renewed on chat at $5.99 with tax and fees  $7.75 a month on 2 radios

and Nina can suck a egg.....

Bought a new Explorer over the weekend for the wife.  I have a $5.99 rate as well, on 4 radios.   Went to transfer her existing sub from her old vehicle to the new vehicle on Sunday morning, and was given a new rate of $7.99.  I asked, and was told rates are going up $2 on March 30 or something.  I protested, because I'm transferring a subscription, not initiating a new one, and I had locked in $5.99 back in December.

They have a page on the price increase, which exempts existing subscriptions---only new subs are impacted.  Dumb bitch kept insisting she was giving me 3 months free, then I had to pay the new rate.  I asked her how I was getting 3 months free on a subscription that I already had in place, and was wanting to transfer.  She couldn't get it.

I hung up on her, and I'll call back in tomorrow.

It's not the $2 increase here, it's the damned principle.  

On 3/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

Also $7.75 a month, theoretically. AMEX pays it as a benefit on the card, so I have that going for me, which is nice. 

Which AMEX?  I have the Gold, and I don't see that benefit.

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Bought a new Explorer over the weekend for the wife.  I have a $5.99 rate as well, on 4 radios.   Went to transfer her existing sub from her old vehicle to the new vehicle on Sunday morning, and was given a new rate of $7.99.  I asked, and was told rates are going up $2 on March 30 or something.  I protested, because I'm transferring a subscription, not initiating a new one, and I had locked in $5.99 back in December.

They have a page on the price increase, which exempts existing subscriptions---only new subs are impacted.  Dumb bitch kept insisting she was giving me 3 months free, then I had to pay the new rate.  I asked her how I was getting 3 months free on a subscription that I already had in place, and was wanting to transfer.  She couldn't get it.

I hung up on her, and I'll call back in tomorrow.

It's not the $2 increase here, it's the damned principle.  

Which AMEX?  I have the Gold, and I don't see that benefit.

Platinum. I think it’s part of the streaming benefit they tacked on to justify the outrageous membership fee when traveling wasn’t especially viable. 

• 2 months later...

Just renewed promotional rate on two radios - $5.99 plus taxes and fees, for total of $7.75 per radio.  This is exactly what I have been paying for the past year.

Before getting that rate, she tried hard to move me to a non-promotional rate of $6.99 plus taxes and fees, for a total of $9.05 per radio.  The pitch was that this is not a promotional rate, and that I would not need to call and play the game in a year to prevent the rate from floating up to then current retail rate.  But, there was also no assurance regarding stability of the rate she wanted to sell me.

• 7 months later...