Worst Casting

Parliament

On 8/5/2018 at 4:35 PM, Vito Andolini said:

Jeff Fisher as a football coach in Hard Knocks.

My favorite Jeff Fisher line to his team in Hard Knocks was ‘let’s just assume that I know what I’m doing”.   Uhh, no Jeff......you fucking don’t know - you asshat.

Edited by Horn80
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2018 at 9:51 PM, Rusty Shackelford said:

Paul Giamatti in Saving Private Ryan

On 8/19/2018 at 6:09 PM, Homercles said:

Jimmy Fallon as the Jeep-driving supply guy who helps Easy on the outskirts of Bastogne. I just keep expecting him to break out in some horrible monologue and he delivers the lines in such a flat, ‘aww shucks’ way.

Don't forget the Ted Danson casting. That movie was filled with jarring "friends of steve" casting choices and I think the opinion is starting to finanlly spread that, aside from the opening scene and Hanks, it was full of rehashed tropes and wasn't as good as it's reputation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Parliament said:

The very end was excellent as well.  SPR is worthy of its reputation though, because it was by far the "realist" war movie made in a generation at least.  Saving Private Ryan changed war movies forever.

Yeah SPR is one of those movies that loses its impact simply because it changed everything. We've seen the whole "visceral/realistic combat" thing done over and over again since then, from Black Hawk Down to Band of Brothers/The Pacific to The Hurt Locker to American Sniper and on and on.

But nothing can ever replicate the impact of that opening sequence when you saw SPR in the theater in 1998.  I mean... holy shit.  I barely remembered the middle of the movie because I was reeling from the Omaha Beach sequence for like 20 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

But nothing can ever replicate the impact of that opening sequence when you saw SPR in the theater in 1998.  I mean... holy shit.  I barely remembered the middle of the movie because I was reeling from the Omaha Beach sequence for like 20 minutes.

Same. I must have gone to see it right after it came out because I has no idea what was coming when that Higgins door opened.

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

The very end was excellent as well.  SPR is worthy of its reputation though, because it was by far the "realist" war movie made in a generation at least.  Saving Private Ryan changed war movies forever.

I mostly agree and would like to reiterate that the movie was good and well done, just maybe not as good as is thought. The beginning and end were very impactful, but the middle dragged and was filled with tropes and stock characters.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I was calmed immensely by watching the German soldiers burning.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:33 PM, South Austin said:

I am, too. He’s been in a lot of pure crap, but also has starred in two of the best sports movies ever (Bull Durham and Field of Dreams), the greatest Texas movie of all time (Fandango), an underrated D.C. thriller (No Way Out), and a fantastic but admittedly self-indulgent Western epic (Dances With Wolves). Shit, I even loved that sappy as fuck For The Love Of The Game.

I’ll always give him a pass for Robin Hood.

"A Perfect World".  Terrific little movie.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Don't forget the Ted Danson casting. That movie was filled with jarring "friends of steve" casting choices and I think the opinion is starting to finanlly spread that, aside from the opening scene and Hanks, it was full of rehashed tropes and wasn't as good as it's reputation.

LOL it took 2 years for someone to agree with me.  And FTR, I still think it's a good movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

I guess I had totally forgotten that Ted Danson was in SPR.

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah SPR is one of those movies that loses its impact simply because it changed everything. We've seen the whole "visceral/realistic combat" thing done over and over again since then, from Black Hawk Down to Band of Brothers/The Pacific to The Hurt Locker to American Sniper and on and on.

Yep.   Seeing some obvious WWII vets walk out of the theater bawling their eyes out 25 minutes into the movie showed that the realism hit a little close to home for them.  It was unbelievably intense, and I remember shedding a few tears myself watching it and watching their reaction (that was opening day of the movie, and I was about to turn 18 in a few months).  Powerful shit 

Saw PLR in a packed theater the first weekend after release.  When the end credits started to roll, no one spoke or even moved or made a sound for a good two minutes.  Then slowly, gradually, people began filing out without speaking.  Sherman was right.  War is all hell.  There's nothing glorious about it.  This one broke the mold.  Casting choices didn't strike me as being a stretch but then again I was reeling after the opening scene and didn't get my wits back for a while.  I was wondering if I had made a mistake bringing my 15-year old daughter, but she handled it well.

Studio Fat Cats: Okay, Coppola, we're looking for a debonair, dynamic, charismatic-yet-vulnerable British actor with a great accent to portray a young Victorian lawyer who travels to Transylvania and encounters the fearsome Count Dracula.

Coppola:  How about Keanu Reeves?

Fat Cats (smack own foreheads, pop Xanax):  Are you high!?  What the fuck?  We want oscars!

Coppola:  I quit if Reeves is not in the picture.

Fat Cats (horrified, exchanging glances): Wait, wait, wait.  Okay, okay.

Result: Keanu sodomizes the King's English for two hiurs but Bram Stoker's Dracula wins three oscars anyway.  Go figure.

I kept waiting for him to say "Wheaaaauuuu!" and "Aaaaawwwww-summmm!"

Oldman, Hopkins, rich costumes, skilled makeup artists and sexy succubi saved it.  The opening carriage ride from the village tavern to the castle always gives me the willies in every Dracula film, as does this line:

(Wolves howling)

The Count:  "Lessten to the cheeldren of the night - wott byewteeful mewsic thay myeek."  

Cue gooseflesh

Edited by Bama Llama
  • Like 1

Saw PLR in a packed theater the first weekend after release.  When the end credits started to roll, no one spoke or even moved or made a sound for a good two minutes.  Then slowly, gradually, people began filing out without speaking.  Sherman was right.  War is all hell.  There's nothing glorious about it.  This one broke the mold.  Casting choices didn't strike me as being a stretch but then again I was reeling after the opening scene and didn't get my wits back for a while.  I was wondering if I had made a mistake bringing my 15-year old daughter, but she handled it well.

What’s PLR?

Studio Fat Cats: Okay, Coppola, we're looking for a debonair, dynamic, charismatic-yet-vulnerable British actor with a great accent to portray a young Victorian lawyer who travels to Transylvania and encounters the fearsome Count Dracula.
Fat Cats (smack own foreheads, pop Xanax):  Are you high!?  What the fuck?  We want oscars!
Result: Keanu sodomizes the King's English for two hiurs but Bram Stoker's Dracula wins three oscars anyway.  Go figure.
Oldman, Hopkins, rich costumes, skilled makeup artists and sexy succubi saved it.  The opening carriage ride from the village tavern to the castle always gives me the willies in every Dracula film, as does this line:
(Wolves howling)
The Count:  "Lessten to the cheeldren of the night - wott byewteeful mewsic thay myeek."  
Cue gooseflesh

Monica Bellucci

(Wolves howling)
Cue gooseflesh

Lulz. This is spot on. When he emphatically states they “brought him here! To Carfax Abbey!”, I roll my eyes.

Yep.   Seeing some obvious WWII vets walk out of the theater bawling their eyes out 25 minutes into the movie showed that the realism hit a little close to home for them.  It was unbelievably intense, and I remember shedding a few tears myself watching it and watching their reaction (that was opening day of the movie, and I was about to turn 18 in a few months).  Powerful shit 
My dad served in Vietnam and said the 1st 20 minutes got EVERYTHING right. The only it lacked was the smell. Burnt powder, hot steel and dead guts. All it lacked was that.

19 hours ago, Parliament said:
On 8/4/2020 at 8:11 PM, Trey3216 said:

My dad served in Vietnam and said the 1st 20 minutes got EVERYTHING right. The only it lacked was the smell. Burnt powder, hot steel and dead guts. All it lacked was that.

smells like victory

• 1 month later...