Worst Casting

Parliament

26 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I have tried to do that, but just when I think I'm out, the dreadful casting of Sofia Coppola pulls me back in.

There’s another thread on here where about 1/3 of the mongoloids posting would have zero idea of what you’re speaking 

• Like 2

That aside, Cruise as Reacher gets my vote.

There’s a scene in Reacher where he’s outnumbered like 5 to 1 and Reacher calmly explains whats about to happen to them. They all just laugh.

If dude was huge and imposing, they would not be laughing. The scene would make less sense. It’d be also harder for him to blend in during the escape scene.

Have no idea about the comic book, but the movie was written and filmed for Tom Cruise. Cant be the worst casting because it was a decent movie and he’s the title character.

I’m guessing the Reacher character in the comic would intimidate people but people would underestimate his intelligence. If that’s the case, then we’re talking about a completely different character and movie.

37 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

There’s a scene in Reacher where he’s outnumbered like 5 to 1 and Reacher calmly explains whats about to happen to them. They all just laugh.

If dude was huge and imposing, they would not be laughing. The scene would make less sense. It’d be also harder for him to blend in during the escape scene.

Have no idea about the comic book, but the movie was written and filmed for Tom Cruise. Cant be the worst casting because it was a decent movie and he’s the title character.

I’m guessing the Reacher character in the comic would intimidate people but people would underestimate his intelligence. If that’s the case, then we’re talking about a completely different character and movie.

Yeah he plays it like he's just a regular Joe, so props for that.  I'm not much of a Cruise fan, but he's OK in this (Reading  the book may change my opinion) The scene you reference definitely is better than if it was some behemoth of a man.

Not a comic book. Actual real books, a series of them, and damn good ones.
Pick one up, read it and then come tell me cruise was well cast.
You don't adapt a book series for the screen and modify it to fit a specific actor, which is exactly what they did.
Casting Cruise changed, completely, who Reacher was as a character by mandate.
That is, shittastic casting, whether you liked the movie or not.

Regardless of it being a book, this is about “Movie” casting. A movie is a story or event recorded by a camera as a set of moving images and shown in a theater or on television; a motion picture.

You may start a new thread about worst movie adaptions of books and characters in those books.

As presented on screen, Cruise was fine.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

The movie was an adaptation of a book series. 

Idris Elba playing General Lee in a historical fiction would be shitty casting, despite the fact that he probably do a great acting job.

Cruise as Reacher is too. It's clear you're incapable of grasping that reality and reading a book apparently.

It is relevant to this thread, you saying it isn't, doesn't make it so.

This ^

• Like 1

The movie was an adaptation of a book series. 

Idris Elba playing General Lee in a historical fiction would be shitty casting, despite the fact that he probably do a great acting job.

Cruise as Reacher is too. It's clear you're incapable of grasping that reality and reading a book apparently.

It is relevant to this thread, you saying it isn't, doesn't make it so.

Jack Reacher is not a real person (Like General Lee). While you may be pissed with the casting of a movie you imagined based on your reading, this is a thread about moving picture casting. You’re pissed about how they adapted the book into film with a midget playing the lead role and changes to the size of the actor. Good, start a bookfag thread.

Besides the size (or other superficial physical characteristics), how was Reacher miscast?

If it was THE worst casting, how did the movie not bomb if the lead actor and title character was horribly miscast?

For 99% of people who did not read this book, why would they care? In what world should people be forced to view the source material to enjoy a movie?

Movie casting. Serious business.

Books are serious business. Apparently watching a movie is not enough to form an opinion. You have to educate yourself on the source material and insider news.

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was an uninspired casting choice, that for business reasons was made to make it a big budget movie. Worst casting ever? Hardly. It’s a m’eh.

So all these book snobs want a 6'5" actor to play Reacher.

Pretty much they all really want The Rock.  Sorry, you can't have The Rock.

But you can have one of these 6'5" actors to play Jack Reacher:  Tyler Perry, Sinbad, Armie Hammer, Dolph Lundgren, Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins, or Craig Kilborn.

Suddenly Tom Cruse doesn't seem like such a bad casting decision.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

So all these book snobs want a 6'5" actor to play Reacher.

Pretty much they all really want The Rock.  Sorry, you can't have The Rock.

But you can have one of these 6'5" actors to play Jack Reacher:  Tyler Perry, Sinbad, Armie Hammer, Dolph Lundgren, Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins, or Craig Kilborn.

Suddenly Tom Cruse doesn't seem like such a bad casting decision.

actor doesn’t really have to be 6’5”... just not 5’5”.

there are plenty of 6’+ actors that could do it. 

20 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Did I just click on this thread to find people defending Tom Cruise as Reacher???  Having read all the books, it was horrrrible casting.  Terrible.  Yes, I'll take Dolph over Tom.

Enjoy your straight-to-DVD movie.

I don’t know if posted, but I really didn’t care for Finn Wittlock cast as Freddie Steinmark. He didn’t look at all like Freddie. That movie had so many problems overall. For $20 million I think they could have done a much better film. Just my opinion. I’ve seen better films with smaller budgets and better scripts.

Edited by Brandywine