United/Mourinho's Farewell Tour

Dertyberd

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

United are better off now than we were 5 hours ago.  glorious morning waking up to this bit of news.  now let's go get zizou.

Zizou is good for a year or two tops, I'd love him as caretaker for the rest of the season, but not what we need now. This is a club crisis on a massive scale and needs a Pochettino type that will build something from the youth system up and stays for 10 or so years.  I've said it before that United aren't a club that can withstand a long period of losing because there isn't a sheik/Russian/Asian and we aren't in London/Madrid/Paris and can't just pay out the ass to redo the lineup every 5 year cycle.  Sure it's one of the biggest clubs in the world, but it was built that way through the leadership of Busby and Ferguson.  This doesn't have to be a flash hire, it must be the correct hire.  The club is fucked long term if they get it wrong again.  I unfortunately don't have a lot of faith in the Glazers to do the right thing, they already fucked up not getting Pep when there was a window.  

Plus, could you imagine how miserable Zidanne would be in northwest England? He's spent his entire life in some beautiful places in France, Italy, and Spain.  I don't even know if the dude speaks English to be honest.  The language isn't as big a deal as it used to be, but long term culturally, he's not a fit.  

Edited by Dertyberd
  • Like 1

Perfect caretaker hire. I can't believe the Glazers did something right for a fucking change.  We'll see what they do next, but I hope they learned their lesson to not get in the rumor mill too loudly and scare off a quality hire.  

Solskjaer is a fucking legend and was coaching youth durning Ferguson's last few years.  Respect from the club, fans, and hopefully the players.  If they can't fight for a guy like him, they deserve to be sold.  Come on United!

I really don't think the Glazers are very much responsible for this hire as much as Woodward and Co. 

The possibility of finishing Top 4 is slim to none, so hopefully we get our shit together and don't squander our opportunity in champion's league play (we also have FA cup glory on the line). 

Edited by Blanton

Absolutely it is and I give two shits for the haters, I'm used to the abundance of hate.  It is the biggest story of the season unless somehow Pool decide to go on and actually win the League.  

I guess I have a twinge of hope now that we have one of our own who knows about making a winter run of wins.  Problem is we still have a pretty terrible squad, but I loved to see Ole say that everyone has a clean sheet and will see time.  Hopefully he can bring some confidence back and flowing attack.  I can handle 2-2, 3-2, 2-3 type matches if we are going for it.  Fuck it, nothing to lose really, and we have De Gea to win a match or two.   Only uphill now that Mo is gone.  

You're probably right about Woodward, but they're foolish to let him keep making decisions.  He's part of the problem.  Clean fucking house, including him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Lulz, 5-1 win over Cardiff.  If I'm reading wikipedia right, United never scored 5 under the special one.

A graphic in the game said that United hadn't score 5 goals since May 2013, under SAF.

I watched the second half (as well as saw the highlights from the first half. Pogba started (of course) and had 2 assists and a "hockey assist" on the match's 3rd goal.

Pogba is like Magic Johnson of the mid-'80s and Mourinho was basically benching Magic and requiring that team to walk the ball up and then pass the ball around until the end of the 24-second clock. Mourinho is an absolutely horrible manager. He might have had something once, but he had a team of all-stars and they played like an overmatched pub team.

Don't know what the little Norwegian elf can do for the rest of the season, but against the poorer clubs, ManU is better off WITHOUT a manager than with Mourinho.

3 hours ago, WBT said:

They should at least be a lot more fun to watch under Ole.  You could see what the likes of Pogba and Lukaku are capable of in the World Cup.

I just realized that Lukaku didn't play today. Perhaps that's why they played such beautiful football.

I liked the run in the World Cup where Lukaku pull defenders one way and then another and totally created an amazing goal that covered ~60+ yards, but never touched the ball, but today's passing was more Liverpool, almost Barça-esque, especially the 3rd & 5th goals, and I don't see Lukaku being a first choice player if Ole decides to keep this style.

The next few games are against shitty teams, so they can experiment without too much concern.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I just realized that Lukaku didn't play today. Perhaps that's why they played such beautiful football...

Lukaku out for Man United, on “compassionate leave”

e9465ef6440423f5653bbdd6edf0e380

Sports

Lukaku out for Man United, on “compassionate leave”

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
e9465ef6440423f5653bbdd6edf0e380 Belgian striker is on leave from United.
Romelu Lukaku could miss the entire festive schedule for Manchester United.

The Belgian striker, 25, has struggled to get going this season, scoring just six goals in 22 appearances in all competitions.

Multiple reports stated that Lukaku has been given “compassionate leave” by the club and their new caretaker boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed that he has yet to see United’s leading goalscorer last season since taking over.

“Yes, he [Romelu Lukaku] has had a couple of days off, so I’ve not seen him yet,” Solskjaer said.

Lukaku has reportedly not been at United since the start of this week.

Other reports state that Lukaku isn’t in United’s squad to face Cardiff City on Saturday (Watch live, 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC and online via NBCSports.com) and he will also at least miss the Boxing Day clash at home against Huddersfield Town, while he may also be a doubt for their clash against Bournemouth on Dec. 30.

Even though the exact reason for Lukaku’s absence is unknown, his brother Jordan Lukaku was on the bench for Lazio in Italy on Saturday.

As for United, Solskjaer only has Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial to choose from in attack for his opening few games as he confirmed Alexis Sanchez was back in Chile recovering from a serious hamstring injury.

With Rashford up top and Martial and Jesse Lingard in support, many United fans will get to see a front three they were calling for under former boss Jose Mourinho.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lukaku-man-united-compassionate-leave-140945574.html

The first paragraph of the story from THE SUNDAY TIMES...

Mourinho had no idea Woodward was going to sack him

Jose Mourinho thought he was going to discuss Manchester United’s transfer strategy when the club’s executive vice- chairman used their scheduled Tuesday morning meeting to sack the Old Trafford manager. The Sunday Times has been told that Mourinho was caught unawares by Ed Woodward’s deployment of a meeting during which the Portuguese had hoped to secure the green light to strengthen his struggling team to communicate United’s decision to terminate his contract. While the 55-year-old had been aware that his future beyond the end of the current campaign was in jeopardy, he did not expect to be dismissed while still in the Champions League and with more than half the Premier League campaign remaining.

Woodward was executing a decision made by the Old Trafford board…

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/mourinho-expected-to-get-transfer-backing-notthesack-ggcncj692

I find this story absolutely glorious! (I hope that it's true.)

3 hours ago, Blanton said:

Good seeing the boys playing a litttle more loose while being successful. I know it’s shite opposition, but it’s a refreshing change of pace nonetheless. 

I'm not necessarily a ManU fan, but I think that this is the perfect time for its regime change. They have a nice run of shite teams against which they can rediscover their love of the game, get some nice results, and the new manager can experiment a bit without repercussions.

They have a fixture against at home against Bournmouth, then against Newcastle on the road, then a Cup match against Reading, so when they go to London to play Tottenham, they'll have had 5 matches in hand already and shouldn't be expected to win anyway, so even a draw would be a like a win.

Their schedule really sets up nicely.

Oh, and Mourinho & Oklahoma still have so much in common.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 7:58 AM, Dertyberd said:

Perfect caretaker hire. I can't believe the Glazers did something right for a fucking change.  We'll see what they do next, but I hope they learned their lesson to not get in the rumor mill too loudly and scare off a quality hire.  

Solskjaer is a fucking legend and was coaching youth durning Ferguson's last few years.  Respect from the club, fans, and hopefully the players.  If they can't fight for a guy like him, they deserve to be sold.  Come on United!

On 12/20/2018 at 2:38 PM, Dertyberd said:

Absolutely it is and I give two shits for the haters, I'm used to the abundance of hate.  It is the biggest story of the season unless somehow Pool decide to go on and actually win the League.  

I guess I have a twinge of hope now that we have one of our own who knows about making a winter run of wins.  Problem is we still have a pretty terrible squad, but I loved to see Ole say that everyone has a clean sheet and will see time.  Hopefully he can bring some confidence back and flowing attack.  I can handle 2-2, 3-2, 2-3 type matches if we are going for it.  Fuck it, nothing to lose really, and we have De Gea to win a match or two.   Only uphill now that Mo is gone.  

I'm trying to not spoil it, but it's fucking happening!  I had to wait until we played a top team to believe again.  It's been years of beatdowns, let downs, and tight defensive play and it was going to take me while to dip my toe in the belief waters.  The boys have been given license to show their ability and play the way they grew up playing in the youth system.  Happy days are here again and Chelsea, Spurs, and Arsenal should be shitting themselves about making the top 4. Come on United!   

So after ManU beat Arsenal 3-1, it appears that perhaps the little elf has chosen not to allow the ManU players to lose (or tie) another match this season.

With 8 straight wins to start his reign, there has to be a point where Ole gets considered for the full-time manager's gig.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So after ManU beat Arsenal 3-1, it appears that perhaps the little elf has chosen not to allow the ManU players to lose (or tie) another match this season.

With 8 straight wins to start his reign, there has to be a point where Ole gets considered for the full-time manager's gig.

Ole's at the wheel,

Tell me how good does it feel,

We've got Sanchez, Paul Pogba and Fred,

Marcus Rashford is manc born and bred,

The Greatest of English football,

We've won it all

On 1/27/2019 at 11:52 PM, Napoleon said:

It's been a really good time to go on a run.  Of course, any time is a good time to go on such a run.

More importantly to me, though, is that the football is just more fun to watch now.  Makes me realize just what a beating the shitty one's system was.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Top 4...

I didn't know who Mou should be replaced with, I was thinking Zizou not Ole, but if he had been dumped sooner, ManU might be Top 3 at this point...

...or at least a hell of a lot closer than barely Top 4.

It is crazy the level of talent on the squad and how well Ole has got them playing, but I can't understand why any future club would spend a lot of money to secure Mou's services. He is a walking, talking, pouting cancer. I wouldn't want him in the league my team participated in, much less actually involved in the managing of my club. He needs to go to China for a big payday and forgotten about by the clubs/national teams in Europe.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

Come on United!  Stuck at work as well, but what a glorious day to believe again and enjoy my squad win or lose today.  

We're top four and at home to a big club.  It sets up very nicely as PSG haven't played anyone worth a damn in over a month in their shit league uuuuunnnn.  I don't see PSG being well prepared for what they have coming at them on attack.  We're playing with maximum effort, attacking with confidence, and working as a unit for over a month.  It is all I can ask for at the moment and I'm loving every minute.

I will find a way to take the afternoon off if it's close for the second leg.  You never know how many opportunities you get to have fun with your club and make a magical run in Europe.  

U-N-I-T-E-D 

Not as I expected, but I'm not shocked.  We didn't play poorly and we didn't play great either.  That was a top side with lots of pace and skill going forward.  What kills me is giving up that set piece goal.  I can't believe Matic of all people was the one to stop on the play.  I understand giving up that second goal based on the speed vs. speed and the lack of pace we have in the back.  We still should've got at least one back, but we had fucking Alexi on because of injury.  I can't figure out why he gets on and Martial is left out.   I have never seen someone get paid so much to kill their own teams attacks.  I look forward to him not being on the squad next year. 

The ref sucked and Pogbas second yellow was harsh.  I would've loved for him to get to play in Paris and have a go in his home country.  Don't think we have much a shot in the second leg, but that is why you play the game.  We all know PSG have a wonderful record of falling apart at the right time.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blanton said:

Man City dodged a bullet with Sanchez. 

His taint of mediocrity hasn’t worn off from Arsenal quite yet. 

I think that Sanchez has peaked and will continue to drop.

He's only 30 and 5'5" players can run and stay coordinated longer than 6'1" players, but he looks like he lost it about 2 years ago for both club & country. He'll be in the MLS in a year or two and then back down in Chile before he hits 34. I've never seen a top player fall this far, this fast, at such a young age. (Wonder if somehow his age isn't his real age.)

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think that Sanchez has peaked and will continue to drop.

He's only 30 and 5'5" players can run and stay coordinated longer than 6'1" players, but he looks like he lost it about 2 years ago for both club & country. He'll be in the MLS in a year or two and then back down in Chile before he hits 34. I've never seen a top player fall this far, this fast, at such a young age. (Wonder if somehow his age isn't his real age.)

I bet we get him for a tour at FC Austin.  Hooray! 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, alincoln said:

Pretty stunned by Lindelof's development this season.  He is arguably playing at a world class level.  Shaw has also been a rock defensively under Ole.  An elite RB is an absolute necessity this summer.

Absolutely.  Lindelof is now the player I thought we purchased.  He was way too scared of making a mistake under Mo and is now playing with confidence.  Shaw is the same way.  He has the same fight in him that he always had, but now playing with smarter and more free.  Their work again Liverpools attack was pretty special.  Pool never got any real attacking momentum or sustained periods in our final third.  Great stuff by the D yesterday.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sick for almost a week, and thank God I was because I was able to watch one of the most incredible moments in United history.   I still am able to put into words what I witnessed yesterday.  Ole having the balls to mix it up with the kids, Lukaku as Johnny on the spot, 3 teenagers on the pitch to close it out, Eric Bailly graciously exiting "injured" so we could switch to a back 4, heroic team effort, Dalot opening things up and defending well coming on, Fred/McTominay/Pereira/ defending their balls in the middle, 10 of the regular squad out injured/suspended, and Rashford bashing in the penalty after making some head scratching lapses of concentration in the first half.  It was fucking beautiful and the turning point for the club.  The dark days are gone.  I never once believed it was over yesterday and thats the way it is supposed to be with United.  It has been way too long since I've felt that way.  Happy days boys.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...