Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

That’s how you use it I guess. I’m just citing data from looking on chain. 

Now you have me interested. What data do you see on chain that provides insight into the use case behind bitcoin transactions? What does that even mean. I will admit I'm an idiot in most things crypto.

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Now you have me interested. What data do you see on chain that provides insight into the use case behind bitcoin transactions? What does that even mean. I will admit I'm an idiot in most things crypto.

I don’t have access to their proprietary software, but this company does blockchain analysis and can identify and track movement of funds associated with suspicious addresses. Ultimately, bitcoin is a poor way to conduct crime. It’s traceable and only pseudonymous. Cash is the best and most widely used way to fund illicit active, which is a big part of the hypocrisy I hate from the government. Oh, and that big banks routinely get caught laundering money. That too. 

Bitcoin’s main upside wrt illicit activity is you cannot stop it from being sent, not that it can’t be tracked. 

Bought some at 20k and looks like I’ll buy some at 31ish if wire goes through.  Guess I got lucky bc I was close to pulling trigger at 40+.  I don’t plan to trade any of it for a long time so in the grand scheme prob not a big deal.  I still see 100k in under 12 months then it likely gets stuck for a while.  The big bank money managers are pushing to be able to trade it for their clients.  At least greyscale.  That’s probably what drives next big push. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Bought some at 20k and looks like I’ll buy some at 31ish if wire goes through.  Guess I got lucky bc I was close to pulling trigger at 40+.  I don’t plan to trade any of it for a long time so in the grand scheme prob not a big deal.  I still see 100k in under 12 months then it likely gets stuck for a while.  The big bank money managers are pushing to be able to trade it for their clients.  At least greyscale.  That’s probably what drives next big push. 

It’s a good buy here. I added a few drops to the gbtc bucket in my 401k. Also some more Riot Leaps. 

I agree that this is a good representation of where we’re at in cycle. 

I think corporate balance sheets and institutional buyers drive this cycle.

The next cycle will be the big test. More direct attacks from bigger governments, but at the same time smaller governments start buying. 

Edited by GRHorn

Sounds like someone is claiming that they discovered a double spend in the btc blockchain, aka 1 person sent the same bitcoin to 2 people. This scared people today.  Further analysis showed that this was not a double spend, it had something to do with 2 miners simultaneously receiving the same block reward but it was automatically self corrected, as designed, in the next block.

since a transaction isn’t normally considered final until several confirmations, the blockchain didn’t fail.  This could be a decent buying opportunity. If the market wants to keep failing, I will throw some money at it.

In other news, BlackRock has announced to investors that they MIGHT buy Bitcoin futures for 2 of their funds. I assume they plan to but I believe they only indicated a potential to do so.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sounds like someone is claiming that they discovered a double spend in the btc blockchain, aka 1 person sent the same bitcoin to 2 people. This scared people today.  Further analysis showed that this was not a double spend, it had something to do with 2 miners simultaneously receiving the same block reward but it was automatically self corrected, as designed, in the next block.

since a transaction isn’t normally considered final until several confirmations, the blockchain didn’t fail.  This could be a decent buying opportunity. If the market wants to keep failing, I will throw some money at it.

In other news, BlackRock has announced to investors that they MIGHT buy Bitcoin futures for 2 of their funds. I assume they plan to but I believe they only indicated a potential to do so.

also, more evidence of big fish putting Btc away in storage. 

I’m a simple man. Bitcoin dips, I buy RIOT.
I’ve been tracking RIOT in comparison to BTC for a while, and it more or less just overreacts to Bitcoin, with some exceptions of course. At one point yesterday BTC was down 6% while RIOT was down 12%, so I bought some RIOT. Today RIOT is up 10% while BTC has only gone up 3.6%. 

23 hours ago, GRHorn said:

That’s how you use it I guess. I’m just citing data from looking on chain. 

I’m realistic about both paying taxes and that the government is going to more aggressively confront bitcoin specifically in the months and years ahead. I suspect when it happens under the new administration it will be under the guise of addressing “domestic terrorism”. 

Sounds like gun control, or any other type of way govt. Likes to get thier grubby hands on things.

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m a simple man. Bitcoin dips, I buy RIOT.
I’ve been tracking RIOT in comparison to BTC for a while, and it more or less just overreacts to Bitcoin, with some exceptions of course. At one point yesterday BTC was down 6% while RIOT was down 12%, so I bought some RIOT. Today RIOT is up 10% while BTC has only gone up 3.6%. 

Good man. It’s basically an option on the BTC price. 

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Sounds like gun control, or any other type of way govt. Likes to get thier grubby hands on things.

It’s gonna be sad because a lot of people on the left will cheer fucking with bitcoin when the govt tries to associate it with domestic terrorism, for partisan reasons. When, in reality, they should be supporting bitcoin since it addresses a big cause of inequality while being free of censorship or discrimination. 

Completely missed this huge run up. So happy I bought a decent chunk when it had dropped to $6K last year or so. For the first time in my life, I have positive crypto earnings that lasted more than a few days. Doesn't feel right. I think if I buy more right now, it'll take a massive drop and put me in the negative where I belong. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I wonder if all the people losing faith in the market might drive them to a less regulated investment. I put some more money into ETHE yesterday and it’s up 15% already. 

Has anyone done much research on Polkadot? It was started by one of the Ethereum founders and from what I’ve read is similar to what Ethereum 2.0 is moving towards, but it’s already there. 

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wonder if all the people losing faith in the market might drive them to a less regulated investment. I put some more money into ETHE yesterday and it’s up 15% already. 

Has anyone done much research on Polkadot? It was started by one of the Ethereum founders and from what I’ve read is similar to what Ethereum 2.0 is moving towards, but it’s already there. 

I know it’s the latest “Eth Killer” with VC backing. There’s been a lot of those and you can make money off them but they haven’t worked long term.   

As to your first point, I don’t see how all these actions won’t drive people to bitcoin and crypto in general. 

22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I know it’s the latest “Eth Killer” with VC backing. There’s been a lot of those and you can make money off them but they haven’t worked long term.   

As to your first point, I don’t see how all these actions won’t drive people to bitcoin and crypto in general. 

Yep. This makes me even more bullish on. BTC and ETH. 

I agree on DOT. I don’t think it will ever kill ETH, but it does look like it has more legs to gain a reasonable market share. Problem is the market cap’s already getting pretty high. This shit moves so fast. 

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm betting once this is over people and wsb types lose faith in the traditional market and move to crypto harder. I also am hoping that Doge coin will get meme'd to the moon, so I went heavy on it today.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. This makes me even more bullish on. BTC and ETH. 

I agree on DOT. I don’t think it will ever kill ETH, but it does look like it has more legs to gain a reasonable market share. Problem is the market cap’s already getting pretty high. This shit moves so fast. 

My top shitcoin pick is Aave. It’s one of the most utilized defi coins. In the last day or so it came out that Mark Cuban is fucking around with it. It has a 3.5B cap so it’s already big, but i see very big chance it’s end up around a top 5 coin. 

I have been buying BTC and ETH in Robinhood. With what happened today, i wanted to move out of RH. Wanting to know if somebody have done comparison of similar places to buy BTC. I know that I'm mot buying real BTC with these places but I rather not have to worry about missing/ stolen passwords or whatever. I looked at Cashapp but there is a ~1.5% fee which seems steep.

6 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I'm betting once this is over people and wsb types lose faith in the traditional market and move to crypto harder. I also am hoping that Doge coin will get meme'd to the moon, so I went heavy on it today.

Where'd you get in?  Hit .05 a little bit ago, back down in the mid .04s now.  

Just now, DonkeyCigars said:

Wasn’t going to gloat but I’m up 250% since that post.

Happy to put it on a tee for you... very nice.  

My buddy played on an independent baseball team in California named after / sponsored by Dogecoin so I had some familiarity.  Should've pulled the trigger when I started seeing it pop up this morning.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I haven’t used it, but the glaring con is that I don’t think they allow withdrawals yet.

So reading their FAQ you can’t transfer the coins and you don’t get a key. However it can be swapped for cash immediately in PayPal. They have an exchange fee which I don’t know what it is. But it seems awfully easy and convenient way to hold and quickly spend crypto if you want. 

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve used it and it works as expected. The Cash app also originally didn’t allow withdrawals but eventually did.  I would expect the same from PayPal.

Yeah I get that. Today was just a stark reminder of why it’s appealing to control your own keys. 

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It’s up 561% for the day

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Happy to put it on a tee for you... very nice.  

My buddy played on an independent baseball team in California named after / sponsored by Dogecoin so I had some familiarity.  Should've pulled the trigger when I started seeing it pop up this morning.  

19 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

How about now?

Since I posted I was dumping gainz into Doge 8 hours ago I’ve made almost 500%; $~18k. Should I 💎 🙌🏼?

24 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Since I posted I was dumping gainz into Doge 8 hours ago I’ve made almost 500%; $~18k. Should I 💎 🙌🏼?

It’s going to become a huge meme, Elon tweets about it and all those GME redditors are gonna have stupid money they need to dump somewhere, so...maybe, who the fuck knows. It’s a meme coin. 

Yesterday, as I was watching the complete fuckery by the big firms blocking purchases of securities, I thought to myself... "Hmm, self, you know every time there's something weird with the market, crypto does well. Isn't there a favorite meme coin on reddit? Doge-something?"

Got in @ $0.02

Go baby go. There couldn't be a more meme-like investment than Dogecoin I don't think.

• Hook 'Em 1

I still don’t understand what’s happening with Binance but I found this in their revised TOS:

“you are a non-U.S User, unless you only log on to websites for U.S. Users and use Binance Services for U.S. Users.”

Is there a different app for the US now that I should be using instead? My account logs just fine and I was able to consolidate a ton of shitcoins like a month ago, but now I can’t buy or trade?