Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

On 5/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, GRHorn said:

This is pretty funny to me.  So let’s say you want to send 100k somewhere. Now you send 9k in 11 different transactions. The whole system is permissionless. These silly rules they’re trying to apply from legacy systems don’t really work.  

I guess they could have exchanges and other custodians enforce these limits over specific timeframes. Just another example of why it makes sense to move your coins into your own custody. 

You take issue with this post @UpperWestside? Negging non CR posts that are over a month old?

Pathetic Stage 4 Clinger behavior. Get a life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, XYZ said:

If you decided to buy some crypto to hold long term, like years, which one would you get?

Bitcoin. And it’s not close for me. Sorry, Eddie. 

Ethereum has a decent amount of execution risk on the table. They’re attempting to change its monetary policy/issuance schedule during the same time that they’re attempting to switch its consensus mechanism. This all while there are multiple up and coming competing smart contract protocols. It does have network effects on its side however. 

Bitcoin is far and away the leader in the decentralized store of value lane, is now starting to gain geopolitical acceptance.

Nothing in crypto is risk free but by far the most de-risked asset is Bitcoin. And there’s plenty of upside still available. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Salinas, ho ho hooooo.

Salinas Pliego is the son of Hugo Salinas Price, founder of the Elektra chain of stores. Inside an Elektra is usually a Banco Azteca, where they will sell you 1 oz silver Libertads (Mexican mint bullion coins) at a competitive price. A few years back Salinas Price supposedly introduced legislation in Mexico to make it where the Libertad would be worth its price in silver, which of course it is, but if the silver price ever went down (as it does about half the time,) then the coin would still retain its peak price, underwritten by the Mexican government.

Pretty neat trick especially if you already own a chain of banks that sell Libertads.

Salinas Price then put out a series of videos that looked like news interviews pumping this idea that was just on the verge of happening... except it wasn't mentioned anywhere else but in Salinas Price's videos.

Salinas Pliego, son of Salinas Price, now runs Elektra. I'd be really surprised if he isn't trying to resell some Bitcoin like Dad did with silver.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Salinas, ho ho hooooo.

Salinas Pliego is the son of Hugo Salinas Price, founder of the Elektra chain of stores. Inside an Elektra is usually a Banco Azteca, where they will sell you 1 oz silver Libertads (Mexican mint bullion coins) at a competitive price. A few years back Salinas Price supposedly introduced legislation in Mexico to make it where the Libertad would be worth its price in silver, which of course it is, but if the silver price ever went down (as it does about half the time,) then the coin would still retain its peak price, underwritten by the Mexican government.

Pretty neat trick especially if you already own a chain of banks that sell Libertads.

Salinas Price then put out a series of videos that looked like news interviews pumping this idea that was just on the verge of happening... except it wasn't mentioned anywhere else but in Salinas Price's videos.

Salinas Pliego, son of Salinas Price, now runs Elektra. I'd be really surprised if he isn't trying to resell some Bitcoin like Dad did with silver.

I figured any Mexican oligarch had some corruption in their past. Cool story. Unfortunately it’s irrelevant to Bitcoin. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I was unaware of this British term but some pretty funny jokes going around about this NFT protocol announced today. Nonce Finance

They should have done more research on the name. I had to google it to learn that the Brits use this term to describe child predators. However the Brits should continually take heat for having ridiculous nicknames for everything. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So do you hold BTC long-term? Or is BTC a trading thing for you?

I’m holding long term. Across all platforms I’ve probably accumulated 95% of the BTC that I ever will. I just add some drops in the bucket every so often. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/6/2021 at 11:28 AM, GRHorn said:

Big milestone if this can be released in what is effectively the timeline they've had most of this year. I believe they technically scheduled it for July but Aug 4th ain't too bad. This will help address transaction fees but not eliminate them. Hopefully the transaction fees will be more consistent. And it will start burning part of the transaction fee instead of providing it to the miners. This will slow down the inflation of ETH and potentially even reverse the growth at some point in the future. Even BTC isn't planning to reverse its supply growth.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

7 hours ago, XYZ said:

I have a tiny amount of BTC in BRD wallet, but if I type the address on blockchain.info, it shows zero balance. WTF is up with that?

I’ve never used it, but if you’re logged into the wallet and it says it’s there then it’s in there. Hard to say what you’re doing wrong without helping you search the explorer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

This seems like it could be a problem:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/07/tether-cryptocurrency-usdt-what-you-need-to-know.html

In May, Tether broke down the reserves for its stablecoin. The firm revealed that only a fraction of its holdings — 2.9%, to be exact — were in cash, while the vast majority was in commercial paper, a form of unsecured, short-term debt.

That would place Tether in the top 10 biggest holders of commercial paper in the world, according to JPMorgan. Tether has been compared to traditional money-market funds — but without any regulation.

With more than $60 billion worth of tokens in circulation, Tether has more deposits than that of many U.S. banks.

Analysts at JPMorgan have previously warned that a sudden loss of confidence in tether could result in a “severe liquidity shock to the broader cryptocurrency market.”

But there are also concerns that a sudden increase of tether withdrawals could lead to a potential market contagion, affecting assets beyond crypto.

21 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I regret to inform y’all that last week I bought some ETH, so run for the exists. You’ve been warned.

Congrats. You deserve props for keeping an open mind to the space. Now, if I can just get you to buy the correct coin. 😂 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

BTC sitting at 30k and Eth at 1800 both on support. Given the general market fears about restarting covid closures, it looks pretty sketchy. If they can hold here given all the fear out there it would be huge positive, but I’m not counting on it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

I figured as soon as I bought any crypto it would tank the market.  Sorry about your anuses.  I bought some ETH.

LOL.  Same here.  Started about 3 weeks ago.  It was fun for about 48 hours.  Now every day is down, down, down.  Oh well.  As posted earlier, it's more of an interesting hobby than an attempt at early retirement.

I've been dcaing in on projects I like and have less then I want in.  Vet, dot, algo, btc, link, sol, uni, enj, matic.  Eth is still my biggest bag.  Ymmv but my time horizon is 4 years and I expect I'll be happy I took advantage of the low prices

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 12:24 PM, Hefeweizen said:

I figured as soon as I bought any crypto it would tank the market.  Sorry about your anuses.  I bought some ETH.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:45 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL.  Same here.  Started about 3 weeks ago.  It was fun for about 48 hours.  Now every day is down, down, down.  Oh well.  As posted earlier, it's more of an interesting hobby than an attempt at early retirement.

Needed to get paid out for my election winnings from November and finally got paid in Bitcoin on April 12; I had never owned crypto so figured this would be my first foray and to let it go long term…been too scared to look at it these last couple months

Rumors swirling that Amazon will be accepting BTC as payment as soon as the end of this year and the BTC train is chugging again. Up over 16% since it’s dip below 30k earlier this week. 

Looks like there’s some resistance between 35 and 36k. If we can break 36k on this news then I expect it to push to 40 pretty quickly. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Rumors swirling that Amazon will be accepting BTC as payment as soon as the end of this year and the BTC train is chugging again. Up over 16% since it’s dip below 30k earlier this week. 

Looks like there’s some resistance between 35 and 36k. If we can break 36k on this news then I expect it to push to 40 pretty quickly. 

Guess I should’ve bought a shitload when I posted this as it’s ran 10.6% just since my post. Looks like the 40k resistance started in the 38s. I’m expecting another run tomorrow morning when a lot of people check the news and see this story, but I’m still skeptical it’ll be able to hold over 40. We shall see. 

• Fuck You 1

Sell the rumors buy the news. Of course if the news was announced, btc might rise 10-20% in minutes.

It’s a no-brainer that Amazon could accept btc with low risk. They could use an exchange rate that slightly tilted in their favor, and could immediately exchange it for USD or whatever.

With that being said, hardly anyone would buy on Amazon with btc. Bitcoin maximalists would praise Amazon and perhaps make one buy in support of this move. But they want to hoard bitcoin not get rid of it. They would go back to buying with dollars.

Is there such thing as shorting crypto? If yes, how is it done? Are there places where you can deposit your crypto and they lend it to someone else? I mean, I’m not interested in shorting, like at all, just curious how it’s done.