Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

I bet this guy wishes he had this one back.  Op ed from a week before FTX blew up.

That survey also showed potentially more than 300 crypto hedge funds still humming along globally, with half launching in the past three years. Those that wind up making it through 2022’s crypto bloodbath will have bragging rights for years to come. They will also have another arrow in their quiver: A lot more money.

According to PwC, the average assets under management for crypto hedge funds as of 2021 was $58.6 million, up nearly 60 percent from the prior year, based on the same sample set of funds, which firmly placed them above the $20 million threshold considered to be a critical mass for traditional hedge funds. In other words, crypto hedge funds were well capitalized going into the year, and many are expected to survive its turbulence.

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b20dyqd5z1p3xc/The-Death-of-Crypto-Has-Been-Greatly-Exaggerated-Again

Wow, so I'm not the only one going down that rabbit hole.  This thread is devoid of political dumbassery, and if you guys are thinking it, I feel better about my OWN thinking of it.

Is there ANY good reason to arrest SBF before he testified?  Get that slimy little shit under oath in front of the World.  Let him dig his own grave a bit deeper.

7 hours ago, midtown said:

It's not just that. It's everything surrounding this. The fact that he's been somewhat praised and excused by everyone while clearly breaking the law and walking free for months is mind boggling. I understand first hand how the SEC works. I've had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with them and the FBI for that matter but this is just odd. Especially on this scale

He backed out of testifying, likely triggering arrest. The conspiracy shit is fucking stupid. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/12/former-ftx-ceo-sam-bankman-fried-refuses-to-testify-by-senate-banking-.html

Former FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried is refusing to testify at a hearing this week about his company’s implosion, the Senate Banking Committee said Monday.

Attorneys for the crypto platform’s founder have also said Bankman-Fried, who is based in the Bahamas, will not accept service of a subpoena to compel his testimony before the panel, senators said.

13 hours ago, PilotsError said:

lol he wasn't arrested because anyone is seeking justice.

he was arrested the day before his testimony so that he COULDN'T testify.  

Rolls eyes. 

• Hook 'Em 7

And, in case anyone is still thinking that is testimony was going be damning to the powers that be and that is why he was arrested, Forbes has apparently obtained his planned testimony. It is incredibly vapid and stupid. But good news everyone, SBF has a solution, let him restart the ponzi-scheme and bring in new money and everything will be fine. Seriously, that is what he was going to say. As far as conspiracies go, his testimony hits on two (1) Binance causing FTX's downfall, and (2) Sullivan and Cromwell pushing for bankruptcy so it can get fees, but nothing about pizza parlors or whatever else people imagined. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenehrlich/2022/12/13/exclusive-transcript-the-full-testimony-sbf-planned-to-give-to-congress/?sh=59b80173c474

Spoiler

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.20.27 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.21.12 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.21.48 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.22.42 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.23.29 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.24.23 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.24.54 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.25.23 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.25.52 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.26.39 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.27.14 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.27.42 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.28.18 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.28.56 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.29.32 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.30.02 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.30.37 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.31.13 AM

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Help me out with the mechanics here, as I'm not a lawyer, have never committed a crime, and have never testifed under oath.  Did he submit all that stuff to Congress?  If so, any (all) of the inaccuracies in there; are they "lying under oath?"

I have no idea if he actually submitted anything to Congress. It sounds like he he provided some of this to Forbes in connection with his interview. But he wouldn't have been under oath until he testified, so the statements in the document wouldn't be instances of lying under oath. But the statements in the document could certainly be used as evidence for other crimes alleged. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

And, in case anyone is still thinking that is testimony was going be damning to the powers that be and that is why he was arrested, Forbes has apparently obtained his planned testimony. It is incredibly vapid and stupid. But good news everyone, SBF has a solution, let him restart the ponzi-scheme and bring in new money and everything will be fine. Seriously, that is what he was going to say. As far as conspiracies go, his testimony hits on two (1) Binance causing FTX's downfall, and (2) Sullivan and Cromwell pushing for bankruptcy so it can get fees, but nothing about pizza parlors or whatever else people imagined. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenehrlich/2022/12/13/exclusive-transcript-the-full-testimony-sbf-planned-to-give-to-congress/?sh=59b80173c474

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.20.27 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.21.12 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.21.48 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.22.42 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.23.29 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.24.23 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.24.54 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.25.23 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.25.52 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.26.39 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.27.14 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.27.42 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.28.18 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.28.56 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.29.32 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.30.02 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.30.37 AM

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 1.31.13 AM

I'm going to ignore this information because it contradicts the narrative I want to believe about the deep state. 

Good day sir. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

December 12, 2022

TORONTO and CALGARY – Following recent events in the crypto market, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) is strengthening its approach to oversight of crypto trading platforms by expanding existing requirements for platforms operating in Canada.
Crypto trading platforms giving these undertakings agree to comply with expanded terms and conditions that will include, among other things, requirements to hold Canadian clients’ assets with an appropriate custodian and segregate these assets from the platform’s proprietary business, as well as a prohibition on offering margin or leverage for any Canadian client.
Additionally, as outlined in its business plan, the CSA continues to monitor and assess the presence and role of stablecoins in Canadian capital markets. As a result of this ongoing work, the CSA is of the view that stablecoins, or stablecoin arrangements, may constitute securities and/or derivatives. Crypto trading platforms that are registered or that have entered into a pre-registration undertaking are reminded that they are prohibited from permitting Canadian clients to trade, or obtain exposure to, any crypto asset that is itself a security and/or a derivative. Crypto trading platforms are expected to have established policies and procedures to determine whether each crypto asset they provide exposure to is a security and/or derivative.

https://www.osc.ca/en/news-events/news/csa-provides-update-crypto-trading-platforms-operating-canada

Some of FTX execs have already plead guilty and turned on SBF. The feds are moving fast with this one.

https://gizmodo.com/ftx-execs-plead-guilty-crypto-bitcoin-sbf-under-bus-btc-1849921972

They’re all folding like a low level gang placed in separate interrogation rooms at the local police station.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

‘I don’t even have 100k to my name!’

*posts 250M bond

Seems legit.  

No fucking shit, right?

And how is a ~$5mm house sufficient collateral for a $250mm bond?  This fucker is gonna bolt.  Mission Impossible style.  100% he's got major assets hidden in crypto.

The real question in my mind is, is it even possible for someone as high-profile as SBF to skip bail and leave the country and join Snowden in Venezuela or Russia or some other crap hole non-extradition country?

Someone game out how that would even be possible for him now and I'm not even talking about him having a tracking ankle device, but just that he is America's #1 Most Wanted Man right now and all the visibility, media and political attention he has on him.

Because in my mind it seems virtually impossible, him being able to post bail and be house arrested with his weirdo parents doesn't bother me that much, unless I'm wrong and thinking about it wrong and missing something big.

Edited by HamsterHookah

Reporting from court today looks bad for SBF

Dec. 23, 2022, 4:00 PM CST / Source: Reuters

By Reuters

Sam Bankman-Fried and other FTX executives received billions of dollars in secret loans from the crypto mogul’s Alameda Research, the hedge fund’s former chief told a judge when she pleaded guilty to her role in the exchange’s collapse.

Caroline Ellison, former chief executive of Alameda Research, said she agreed with Bankman-Fried to hide from FTX’s investors, lenders and customers that the hedge fund could borrow unlimited sums from the exchange, according a transcript of her Dec. 19 plea hearing that was unsealed on Friday.

“We prepared certain quarterly balance sheets that concealed the extent of Alameda’s borrowing and the billions of dollars in loans that Alameda had made to FTX executives and to related parties,” Ellison told U.S. District Judge Ronnie Abrams in Manhattan federal court, according to the transcript.

Ellison and FTX co-founder Gary Wang both pleaded guilty and are cooperating with prosecutors as part of their plea agreements. Their sworn statements offer a preview of how two of Bankman-Fried’s former associates might testify at trial against him as prosecution witnesses.