Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

On 8/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, Underdog said:

Adding a touch of class to the thread...

I thought this needed to be revisited on a new page.  I'm watching Viking descendants perform an Italian's music from a classic American western, and I'm still getting chills as if I'm watching Tuco run through the cemetery.  Very cool.

I'm gonna call this a cover, because (a) it sounds fantastic (b) it's a big shift from the original simply because of the stronger, more resonant vocals, and (c) I laughed when Vedder forgot the words to the bridge so Tom takes a kinda-solo and eventually sings it himself.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did somebody post this?  I can't remember where I saw it the other day.  I gotta say, Mayer's voice shocks on this one.  In general I fall in line with the "tremendous blues guitarist, horrible pop singer" summation that most on here agree with, but man does he sing the crap out of this and really plays very little guitar.  Well done, Mr. Asshole Mayer:

• Like 1

I really wanted to like Billie Eilish and I really gave her a few shots, but I wish she'd just up and decide that trial law is where her passion lies. Or accounting, or anything that would take her away from performing music. Because everything I've heard from her is 100% shit. 

I'm not really a singer but I'm happier singing the way I do than I would be if I could suddenly sing exactly like John Mayer.

The No Quarter cover was interesting-- you don't see many bands cover Zeppelin and say "let's take what they did and make it MORE bombastic". Very good work.

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, but he doesn't sing that song the way he sings John Mayer songs.

you know his catalog better than I do, then-- he sounded like regular ol John Mayer to me. I'm not trying to shit on the performance, I just got exactly what I personally expected out of it and it's not for me

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you know his catalog better than I do, then-- he sounded like regular ol John Mayer to me.

I 'know his catalog" because I've been to Target and Whole Foods many times in the past 20 years.  I know what his voice sounds like, and that performance had none of the goofy-assed breathy girly-voice he usually delivers.

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I 'know his catalog" because I've been to Target and Whole Foods many times in the past 20 years.  I know what his voice sounds like, and that performance had none of the goofy-assed breathy girly-voice he usually delivers.

Fine, then. You go to Target and Whole Foods more than I do. He sounded like regular old John Mayer to me. 

On 4/17/2019 at 10:28 PM, Neonmoon said:

Shit on John Mayer all you want, but he can wail on guitar. He can also cover the shit out of a song. 

Beyoncé (or whoever wrote this for her)

agree that Mayer is an underrated guitarist but this is trash and not a song anyone should cover. 

I could make a strong argument it's the best song Be has ever recorded.

• 2 weeks later...