Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

Came across this tonight, posted in the weather thread (yeah, think of the title).

Got DAMN this is good.  I mean it's beyond good.  Might be the best cover I've ever heard... (might).

THIS ladies and gentlemen is what God created the electric guitar(s) to sound like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Came across this tonight, posted in the weather thread (yeah, think of the title).

Got DAMN this is good.  I mean it's beyond good.  Might be the best cover I've ever heard... (might).

THIS ladies and gentlemen is what God created the electric guitar(s) to sound like.

Man I’ve always thought Tom Johnston was so talented.

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

Man I’ve always thought Tom Johnston was so talented.

Oh I agree. I also think that Patrick Simmons may be one of the most underrated guitarists. He just never seems to show off what he can do, but when he does he can play amazingly. Love those early Doobies albums. And of course I've been a big Frampton fan for years, really fun watching him enjoy himself on the video so much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

About two years ago I saw them open up for Doyle Bramhall at White Oak.  (First floor)

They kicked ass, as did Doyle.

Got an email today from them announcing a show at the Height theater Nov 11th.

• Hook 'Em 1

Four great guitarists . . . and singers . . . and a kickass rhythm section.  What's not to love?

I think covid broke down the barriers to long distance collaboration.  I mean, it had been happening to some degree, but musicians naturally tend to want to be in the same room when everything is going down.  As it turns out, sometimes it's better to get a bunch of greats working remotely than to never have them work together at all.  Seems kind of . . . obvious.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Very cool cover. Better than the original though? Idk about that.

I'm not much of a Jane's fan, but yeah, I dug that.  Glad to hear PF went into his high tenor with the classic Jane's vocal slapback.

It's not "the" melody, but the vibe is great.  Good job.  Didn't expect that.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dayum, I loved that!   Dwight has to be one of the greatest modern country vocalists.  I expected a more straight reading on the tune, that was well beyond . . . thanks.

Dwight is awesome and way underrated.  He can really turn on the plaintive and earnest emotion in his voice for songs like this.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 6:26 AM, deadshank said:

Dwight is awesome and way underrated.  He can really turn on the plaintive and earnest emotion in his voice for songs like this.  

He can throw it up in the snot locker like no one can today, and not many have, ever.

Speaking of which.  I've probably posted this in this thread, but I'll fuckin do it again.  His genre-bending covers are a national treasure.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, was doing a dive on Los Lobos the other day and was reminded where it really started for me.

They have a new covers album out.  I'm not a Beach Boys fan, but their version of "Sail On, Sailor" is badass.  Apparently, they are acknowledging their start as a wedding band and doing their best to recreate faithful covers of hit songs.  The beauty of it is that they don't really sound like anybody else, so "faithful" is a stretch, but what I've heard is great.

On 3/30/2021 at 7:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Why in the hell didn't Dug play bass on that track?

Once again, I have to voice my disdain for everything Billy Sheehan stands for.  Shitty tone, shitty choices, shitty human being, fuck him, way to ruin a good cover, asshole.

I was plowing through the last several months of this thread and listened to the Winery Dogs' cover of "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" posted a couple pages back.  Was just about to post that while Richie Kotzen's vocals were a revelation to me (still cannot believe that dude was in fucking Poison for a couple years), Billy Sheehan's grab-asstic buffoonery on the bass just about ruined the song for me.  But I figured I'd read the rest of the thread before posting, and then I ran across your post, which made me chuckle.   

I take no issue with a bass player who does more than just hold down the bottom -- John Entwistle (to name just one) had a marvelous career working up and down the neck of his bass to the point that it was practically a lead instrument.  But if you're gonna do that, you better enhance the song.  Sheehan did the opposite.  For a minute, I thought my speakers were starting to short out or something, but then I realized it was just Sheehan's scratchings on his bass.     

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, was doing a dive on Los Lobos the other day and was reminded where it really started for me.

Una poca de gracia, indeed.

They do great covers, but Hidalgo is so sick of playing La Bamba that his boredom is palpable.  The last time I saw LL (about 3 years ago), he made a comment just before the song along the lines of, "Here's the one you've all been waiting for."  And it was clear he was saying it with some amount of disdain.  I suspect he feels that they're locked in to having to play that song in every concert for eternity. 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:30 AM, Underdog said:

Probably already posted or discussed but heard Aretha do a cover of Bridge Over Troubled Water...  fan-fucking-tastic.  I'm not particularly a fan of hers but woman had pipes and could use them well.  

NSIAP

• Like 1