High

nivek3

Light for a 2x2 right?

AC Infinity is the shit. All I use for exhaust, and they hold their own. 

I have 5 of the 6” and 3 of the 4”. A couple are backups, but I use the shit out of them. Both my rooms are run with their controller. I set a minimum speed, and it ramps up when the temp or humidity gets too high. Worth it. 

If going to an 8 or 10 inch duct, then huperfans take over. At that point their wattage is significantly less. 

I have 6’s on my rooms right now, but I am keeping tabs on things as they should probably be 8”. My intake stays pretty cool (67-70) which helps. So far I’ve been more than fine with outside temps close to 100. Haven’t turned either of the lights up full bore either. 

I’m also interested to see their small oscillating fans coming out. The options out now for a tent pole mount are complete shit. 

Pray for me. Headed to Caye caulker by boat tonight for lobster fest: 
Love you guys/girls/she’s/gums/hers/wtf
Should be good times. Was there last week. Zero issues taking gummies into the country

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve had purple urkel, certainly. Snoop’s backed one? Not so much.

I wonder what happens when you cross purple urkel and big bud…. 

Ken fucked around and found out. Made him famous, which is a  good thing, being one of my favorite indica strains.

Also when that ends up crossed with banana hammock… hello dick, meet dirt.

😁

• Drool 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:06 PM, Marshall_Lucky said:

Light recommendation?
Any thoughts on AC Infinity?

I appreciate your input!

I'm nowhere near thunderlounge's experience level, have only grown 2 rounds, but I did a bunch of research on this last fall when I was starting up. The best advice I kept getting was to get a high quality light. Growing is a fuckton of time, money and labor. Make sure it pays off for you, you don't want to put all that time, money and effort into it only to grow mids.

Most people recommend LED lights these days. They are more expensive initially, but much cheaper to run and produce considerably less waste heat than older tech. The diodes should last a very long time. Lights with Samsung's 301B and 301H diodes are commonly recommended. 

Cannabis is very light intensive, it can use up to 1000 PPF without CO2 supplementation. To chose a light, look at dollar per watt for purchase price, but don't forget to consider efficiency. Higher efficiency means lower bills and much less waste heat you will have to deal with. They both add up quickly. It's worth it to pay a bit more for a higher quality, more efficient light. 

Stay away from Blurple (red + blue only) lights, go for full spectrum. Blurples are old tech. The different colors of light have different properties based on their wavelength, plants do best with a natural spectrum. You can easily supplement Far Red/UV, so don't make that your deal breaker. Look for a light with a dimmable detached driver that can be mounted externally to further reduce heat in your tent/space.

If you want to watch some great Youtube videos on light spectra, efficiency, or anything else having to do with lighting, check out Bruce Bugbee's Youtube channel. He's a horticulture prof at Utah State. Easy to follow and very knowledgeable. Migrow is another good channel, run by a guy that makes his own line of lights, though not quite as efficient as the ones I mention below. 

I ended up going with multiple HLG 200 Diablos which use their top of the line 648 Samsung 301H diode Quantum Boards. The lamp covers a 4 x 4 space for vegging, and is a beast for a 2 x 2 flowering footprint. It runs right at $1/Watt for purchase price, which is a good upfront price. Where they really stand out is efficiency, 2.9 - 3.2 PPF/W, depending on the specific Quantum Board. Undimmed, it's ~600 PPF per lamp. This was the most efficient light on the planet last fall when I was researching. Probably still is, or is close.

Lots of the cheaper lights are much less efficient and will fuck you in the long run with electric costs and waste heat. The only thing I don't like about this particular Diablo lamp, it is only dimmable with a screw driver. I would prefer a dial, would be much easier to use. The lights are compact, but have good spread and are extremely bright. You want to wear eye protection if you're in your tent/room with them. They dissipate heat reasonably well, so they  can get really close the plant, as little as 12-18 inches from the plant canopy. Light intensity decreases proportional to the inverse of the distance squared. You lose intensity quickly the farther the light is from the bud and these can get right up on it. Use the inside of your forearm to test the heat at the canopy level. If it's too warm on your forearm, the lights need to dim, or move up.

I especially liked that the individual lights are more future proof. If I want to scale up to larger grow spaces later, I can use multiple lights, each one covering a 2 x 2 area during flowering in any configuration I want. I currently run 2 side by side in 2 x 4 tents. Another advantage, on a multiple light board, if one goes out, you are kind of fucked. With these, I can replace the individual board with no effect on the others in the same space. 

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/products/hlg-200-diablo?_pos=26&_sid=1811b18a8&_ss=r

Unfortunately, it's sold out right now, but worth catching if they come back in stock.  If you're mechanically inclined, they sell the Quantum Board alone for $129. You can buy your own heat sink and driver. This would be the way to go to get a dimmable driver for the board that's easier to use. I've considered switching out my drivers, but I am happy with them the way they are. If I was doing it from scratch, I'd get the board and buy a heat sink and dimmable driver. 

Light spectrum is below. 

image.jpeg.272fa57bfc09e7fa4d9a1e0cfdb4c55a.jpeg

On 7/2/2022 at 1:18 PM, thunderlounge said:

Light for a 2x2 right?

AC Infinity is the shit. All I use for exhaust, and they hold their own. 

I'll also second thunderlounge's AC Infinity recommendation for fans. I originally purchased an AC Infinity and a Spider Farmer. The AC infinity was stronger and considerably quieter. I ordered a second AC Infinity and sent the Spider Farmer back. AC Infinity sells a model with integrated bluetooth, which will push everything to your phone and also calculate your Vapor Pressure Deficit to make sure you are in the right range for optimal growth. I used that feature a ton when I first got it, until I had a more intuitive sense of the proper humidity/temperature ratio to shoot for. 

• Hook 'Em 3

If y'all are considering growing, you should do it. It was very rewarding and the ability to customize it for your own preferences is awesome. I'll be much more aggressive with pruning and trimming earlier next time, my plants were pretty crowded at the end. 

Here's some pics of the first two batches I harvested. It's really hard to get good pictures using a macro lens, so the pics don't do them justice. All of them were in a Deep Water Culture hydro setup.

Two plants are Dolato (Dos-I-Dos crossed with Gelato). They were each under a Diablo side by side in a 2 x 4. They yielded 14.5 ounces of flower and ~10 ounces of trim. I could have squeezed more flower out of the trim, but I'm going using the trim for edibles and pain creams, so the extra potency boost is nice. I figured 14.5 ounces of trimmed flower is going to last me a really long time.

I screwed up a few things I want to nail down next time, but the taste, terpenes and effect are are as good as any medical products I've ever had. Better than almost all of them. It stinks up the whole room and came out smelling and tasting like icy lilacs. It's great on pain and inflammation, relaxing, but not sedating. I haven't had it tested, but it feels 25-27-ish percent THC content and the terpene profile is phenomenal. I pulled it a few days early, so there would be less couch lock and I'm glad I did. Considering it was my first attempt, and I screwed a few things up, I am beyond thrilled with how this batch came out. It's easily in my top 2 strains along with Durban Poison. 

The second batch was a Motorbreath crossed with Purple Punch. One of the plants in the second batch got too cold and died, so I spread a single plant out to fill a 2 x 4 under 2 of the Diablos. I'm still drying/curing the second batch, so don't know the weight, but I'm guessing around 12 ounces of flower. Don't know how it will vape yet, but the terpenes are strong and it reeks of fuel. 

Now that I have some experience, I'm going to try homegrown Durban Poison soon.  

image.thumb.jpeg.af4b2f48068449868a2fe6307ceb03be.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6d473861363984e604de410f216a3018.jpegIMG_1978.thumb.jpeg.e277c512d5b6bf5e8a5ee269bce1432f.jpegIMG_1979.thumb.jpeg.cce3feab4f2b5fd214961e1b2d983164.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

On 7/4/2022 at 1:57 AM, Pods said:

If y'all are considering growing, you should do it. It was very rewarding and the ability to customize it for your own preferences is awesome. I'll be much more aggressive with pruning and trimming earlier next time, my plants were pretty crowded at the end. 

Here's some pics of the first two batches I harvested. It's really hard to get good pictures using a macro lens, so the pics don't do them justice. All of them were in a Deep Water Culture hydro setup.

Two plants are Dolato (Dos-I-Dos crossed with Gelato). They were each under a Diablo side by side in a 2 x 4. They yielded 14.5 ounces of flower and ~10 ounces of trim. I could have squeezed more flower out of the trim, but I'm going using the trim for edibles and pain creams, so the extra potency boost is nice. I figured 14.5 ounces of trimmed flower is going to last me a really long time.

I screwed up a few things I want to nail down next time, but the taste, terpenes and effect are are as good as any medical products I've ever had. Better than almost all of them. It stinks up the whole room and came out smelling and tasting like icy lilacs. It's great on pain and inflammation, relaxing, but not sedating. I haven't had it tested, but it feels 25-27-ish percent THC content and the terpene profile is phenomenal. I pulled it a few days early, so there would be less couch lock and I'm glad I did. Considering it was my first attempt, and I screwed a few things up, I am beyond thrilled with how this batch came out. It's easily in my top 2 strains along with Durban Poison. 

The second batch was a Motorbreath crossed with Purple Punch. One of the plants in the second batch got too cold and died, so I spread a single plant out to fill a 2 x 4 under 2 of the Diablos. I'm still drying/curing the second batch, so don't know the weight, but I'm guessing around 12 ounces of flower. Don't know how it will vape yet, but the terpenes are strong and it reeks of fuel. 

Now that I have some experience, I'm going to try homegrown Durban Poison soon.  

image.thumb.jpeg.af4b2f48068449868a2fe6307ceb03be.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6d473861363984e604de410f216a3018.jpegIMG_1978.thumb.jpeg.e277c512d5b6bf5e8a5ee269bce1432f.jpegIMG_1979.thumb.jpeg.cce3feab4f2b5fd214961e1b2d983164.jpeg

Looks awesome. What state are you in? Also, are you doing autoflowers? If so, have you checked out Mephisto Genetics? The pics I’ve seen of their seeds being grown on Reddit are nuts. Have a friend in a legal state who just sprouted their Double Grape autoflower. Thing is growing fast and chunky.

Edited by Tailgate
  • Hook 'Em 1

Double grape is a nice strain. Not as grapey as you would think. When I find a strain that tastes like grape koolaid, I’ll let y’all know. 😂

Mephisto is good for autos. They’ve done some nice stuff. Some of their seeds (experimental/earlier in development strains) can be hit/miss to crack. Happens. I guess they’ve recently expanded up into Canada, and it looks like they at least aren’t sold out in the first 10 minutes on the last couple of drops. 

RocBud has some excellent autos as well. Night Owl is another.

Autos really have come a long way in the past decade. I used to run a dedicated 4x4 space with 4 autos at a time. More for play than necessity of running an auto.

You can yield from an auto, but not without a lot of experience. I’m pretty much running photos now. Autos don’t really give me any advantage over a photo, and they will cost a little more in electric. Sure they will finish a few weeks before a similar photo, but you’re also running lights at 18/6 (anything over is a waste, even though you’ll hear about 20/4 or 24/0 schedules, they’re a waste) instead of 12/12 for flower.

I will do a run on occasion now, if there are a few strains I want to try that aren’t available in photo.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t get me wrong, totally wish I could down 5mg and be content. 

No way I can get gummies from a disp long term and not eat a good dent into what I’m saving by growing.

If concentrates would at least come down to reasonable prices it wouldn’t be as bad.

My batches come out to ~25-28mg/ea, using about 5g of concentrate. Of course I’m looking at the % of the concentrate to hit the right numbers. Takes a little more bubble (which is about 60%) than it does wax/shatter (70%+), so there’s some math to it.

3 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Don’t get me wrong, totally wish I could down 5mg and be content. 

No way I can get gummies from a disp long term and not eat a good dent into what I’m saving by growing.

If concentrates would at least come down to reasonable prices it wouldn’t be as bad.

My batches come out to ~25-28mg/ea, using about 5g of concentrate. Of course I’m looking at the % of the concentrate to hit the right numbers. Takes a little more bubble (which is about 60%) than it does wax/shatter (70%+), so there’s some math to it.

math-hangover.gif

• Haha 1

9 running at the moment. 

3 in flower, 6 in veg. 

Flower:

- Grandpa’s Stash (Ethos Genetics)

- Magic Melon (Humboldt Seed Co)

- Pineapple Upside Down Cake (Humboldt Seed Co)

I anticipate harvest of these 3 in early to mid September, give or take.

Veg:

- Banana Daddy (Ethos, and yes, running again)

- Bubble Bomb (Bomb Seeds)

- Super Lemon Haze (Ethos)

- Crescendo (Ethos)

- Golden Tiger (Ace Seeds)

- Killer A5 Haze (Ace Seeds)

These should start to be ready for harvest around halloween for the first 2, thanksgiving for the second 2, and the last two from ace will be mid  december or so.

Here’s a look at part of the Pineapple Upside Down Cake:

6BC9613D-E572-4CC7-B533-BFE498717992.thumb.jpeg.ac6fcd0391f6c844866f1474da876db1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 4

She’s looking pretty well so far! 

I flipped 7/5, and started flowering on the 18th.

First of the three should be getting to the window around the 12th of Sep, and about a week apart thereafter. 

I’m getting excited. Smells so damn good in there. 

I’ll try to remember to get a couple new pics tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Couple full shots, and a few flowers for a hump day special…

First, a full shot of my 4x4 bed. There’s 6 in there now. Will be looking to flip in a week or two. The two little ones are going to stretch twice what the bigger two will. The middle two will be in between. All should end up about the same size, give or take.

D12BA8F7-87E5-48DD-A783-1EFB91225421.thumb.jpeg.06c88c2d9276410fe2c0d107638f04b4.jpeg

Next is the 4x2 bed, flowering since about the 18th of July.

2D3F3127-695B-4BEA-AC09-EEC9456D63A0.thumb.jpeg.eabaf260f7e3b6a056660fdd663921b4.jpeg

A687A965-23B9-464A-8698-CE02B36A5C77.thumb.jpeg.efc9e5896c8103c19a507007162a3959.jpeg

A flower from Grandpas Stash (Ethos Genetics)

49CBAEF7-C6A2-47AD-B558-BAE7E10ECEE4.thumb.jpeg.a8036cd9dc62a87d7c779f251cf68800.jpeg

A flower from Magic Melon (Humboldt Seed Company)

963C8DA9-407C-49C5-818B-09BBEE813031.thumb.jpeg.eb5644e94e151a953657725ccae0f0de.jpeg

And finally, a flower from Pineapple Upside Down Cake (Humboldt Seed Company)

60DDA6A6-2A09-40CE-8339-D1B255A5C82A.thumb.jpeg.23f924a0e53313f5fd504246f051d461.jpeg

Pineapple has about 3 weeks left, the other two about 5 or so.

Should be all dried and cured by the first week of November. Of course it wouldn’t be right to not sample it at various stages, lime right after drying, two and 4 weeks into curing, etc. 

Nice to know where it starts and ends up. 

The 4x4 stuff won’t harvest until starting around Thanksgiving, and going til around Christmas on the two longer ones in there. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 3

22 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Couple full shots, and a few flowers for a hump day special…

First, a full shot of my 4x4 bed. There’s 6 in there now. Will be looking to flip in a week or two. The two little ones are going to stretch twice what the bigger two will. The middle two will be in between. All should end up about the same size, give or take.

D12BA8F7-87E5-48DD-A783-1EFB91225421.thumb.jpeg.06c88c2d9276410fe2c0d107638f04b4.jpeg

Next is the 4x2 bed, flowering since about the 18th of July.

2D3F3127-695B-4BEA-AC09-EEC9456D63A0.thumb.jpeg.eabaf260f7e3b6a056660fdd663921b4.jpeg

A687A965-23B9-464A-8698-CE02B36A5C77.thumb.jpeg.efc9e5896c8103c19a507007162a3959.jpeg

A flower from Grandpas Stash (Ethos Genetics)

49CBAEF7-C6A2-47AD-B558-BAE7E10ECEE4.thumb.jpeg.a8036cd9dc62a87d7c779f251cf68800.jpeg

A flower from Magic Melon (Humboldt Seed Company)

963C8DA9-407C-49C5-818B-09BBEE813031.thumb.jpeg.eb5644e94e151a953657725ccae0f0de.jpeg

And finally, a flower from Pineapple Upside Down Cake (Humboldt Seed Company)

60DDA6A6-2A09-40CE-8339-D1B255A5C82A.thumb.jpeg.23f924a0e53313f5fd504246f051d461.jpeg

Pineapple has about 3 weeks left, the other two about 5 or so.

Should be all dried and cured by the first week of November. Of course it wouldn’t be right to not sample it at various stages, lime right after drying, two and 4 weeks into curing, etc. 

Nice to know where it starts and ends up. 

The 4x4 stuff won’t harvest until starting around Thanksgiving, and going til around Christmas on the two longer ones in there. 

potential dumb question: how many plants would one need for personal consumption - say a qp/month. Trying to plan out a grown room but not sure how big I should go nor how many plants I should try to accommodate

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

potential dumb question: how many plants would one need for personal consumption - say a qp/month. Trying to plan out a grown room but not sure how big I should go nor how many plants I should try to accommodate

Not a dumb question at all. We should maybe talk offline or in pm’s though, if you’d prefer. Way too many bases to cover going back and forth in a thread.

There really isn’t a clear cut answer for that, other than, “it depends.”

On 7/30/2022 at 11:15 PM, Bullneck said:

image.thumb.jpeg.50b6b340520d39352ba4bdc39a43cfd2.jpeg

Hey man next time you wake and bake in that area do yourself a favor and go to Park Plaza diner for breakfast just on the other side of the park. Then do yourself an even bigger favor and have one of their awesome pies after breakfast…

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Not a dumb question at all. We should maybe talk offline or in pm’s though, if you’d prefer. Way too many bases to cover going back and forth in a thread.

There really isn’t a clear cut answer for that, other than, “it depends.”

fair enough. I'll hit you up with some questions when I have time to craft my thoughts. you can also at any point tell me to go fuck myself if shit gets too tedious. lulz

• Hook 'Em 2