Tell me about New York City

On 8/10/2021 at 3:00 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have a reservation for One White Street at 8:30 PM on August 20th for the Chef's counter.  Both my dining companion and her back up have bailed (sigh).  Any of the New York surlyites want to join?  I have one seat.  I would prefer to find a person to join as the chef's counter is only 4 seats, and I do not want to leave a seat open.  If no one is interested, I will call and see if seating just me is ok.  

Set menu is 148 for 6 courses.  Chef is former executive chef at Frenchie in Paris and the Sommelier is the former wine director at EMP.

https://blog.resy.com/2021/07/one-white-street-tribeca/

PM Derka to see if he’s in town

On 8/12/2021 at 11:15 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Simple solution there: unfriendly any idiot who won’t get a vaccine to help end a pandemic. 

5 friends from Dallas coming up for Yankees/Rangers and then Yankees/Red Sox at Fenway. All of them refuse to get vaccinated. So I guess we’re ordering room service.

14 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

5 friends from Dallas coming up for Yankees/Rangers and then Yankees/Red Sox at Fenway. All of them refuse to get vaccinated. So I guess we’re ordering room service.

Tell your friends they can go fuck themselves for me.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

You have shitty friends.  Fuck your friends for remaining unvaccinated, and fuck you for humoring them and not telling them to stay the fuck at home.  We don't need unvaccinated people in NYC. I hope they put COVID restrictions back on all sporting events in New York City.  Also, fuck the Yankees, the Rangers, and the Red Sox.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You have shitty friends.  Fuck your friends for remaining unvaccinated, and fuck you for humoring them and not telling them to stay the fuck at home.  We don't need unvaccinated people in NYC. I hope they put COVID restrictions back on all sporting events in New York City.  Also, fuck the Yankees, the Rangers, and the Red Sox.

You can’t imagine how little your opinion means to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh no, whatever will I do. 

Spitballing here, but desperately seek validation from the board by constantly humblebragging about how much money you make/spend? Be sure to let us know when you begin planning your 2024 trip/shopping spree to Staad that never materializes and stay in your $10,000/night hotel where they serve 3 bites of pigs feet for a very reasonable $500 a person plus the cost of a 1920 Chianti. Breaking News: Woman desperately seeks attention. It’s kind of sad.

I’m fully vaccinated. I don’t give 2 shits if my friends are beyond our ability to go to most bars while they are here for a day. It’s none of my business. I give even less of a shit whether you support that position or not. 

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Spitballing here, but desperately seek validation from the board by constantly humblebragging about how much money you make/spend? Be sure to let us know when you begin planning your 2024 trip/shopping spree to Staad that never materializes and stay in your $10,000/night hotel where they serve 3 bites of pigs feet for a very reasonable $500 a person plus the cost of a 1920 Chianti. Breaking News: Woman desperately seeks attention. It’s kind of sad.

I’m fully vaccinated. I don’t give 2 shits if my friends are beyond our ability to go to most bars while they are here for a day. It’s none of my business. I give even less of a shit whether you support that position or not. 

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

It actually IS your business if you are going to be around them.  It is everyone's business that those people might come into contact with.  The Global Pandemic out front should have told you that.  Then again, I am not shocked by this attitude from you given your posting history and the fact that you live in Long Island.  

Good luck with it all.

• Fuck You 1

Meet Resident is a really cool concept.  Went last night. The event was held in this apartment.

https://streeteasy.com/property/1628674-238-east-houston-street-1

The chef last night was Ki Kim who has recently moved to LA to help Niki Nakayama open a new restaurant. Here is an about on Chef Kim.

Ki Kim, originally from South Korea, moved to the U.S. as a teenager. Looking for a way to make money as he pursued a degree in journalism, he started working in restaurants and quickly realized his true passion was food.  Ki has since cooked at restaurants like Matsuhisa, Jungsik (2 Michelin Stars), and Atomix (2 Michelin Stars). Most recently, he was a senior member of Blanca in Brooklyn (2 Michelin Stars).

https://www.meetresident.com/reservations/

It is a really neat concept.  Here is the schedule of upcoming events.  I will definitely be going to more.

Further, Fulgrances has announced their new Chef in Residence, Aaron Rosenthal beginning August 26.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSe7p-Pl4wM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The Met is gearing up for Part One of the two part Costume Institute Exhibit.  

https://www.vogue.com/article/costume-institute-exhibition-in-america-a-lexicon-of-fashion-andrew-bolton

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

It actually IS your business if you are going to be around them.  It is everyone's business that those people might come into contact with.  The Global Pandemic out front should have told you that.  Then again, I am not shocked by this attitude from you given your posting history and the fact that you live in Long Island.  

Good luck with it all.

I think we just made up, NY-style 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Maybe they’ll all all catch Covid and die en route so dense great urban cities are spared even more assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:41 PM, Clackles said:

Tell your friends they can go fuck themselves for me.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:53 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

21 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Maybe they’ll all all catch Covid and die en route so dense great urban cities are spared even more assholes. 

So the official new moral line drawn is that we just have to be vaccinated then we can go wherever we want? Without masks right? Or we can go out, but only with a mask and vaccine? Or do we all need to stay home to really do our part? I can't keep up anymore.

It isn't complicated. If you choose not to get vaccinated, do not take a vacation to a densely populated area during which you will unavoidably come in close contact with hundreds of people. It's an incredibly selfish thing to do. 

As for masks and what not, where them where required (like the subway), and more generally just don't be a shitty fucking person. Obviously that is more difficult for some. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It isn't complicated. If you choose not to get vaccinated, do not take a vacation to a densely populated area during which you will unavoidably come in close contact with hundreds of people. It's an incredibly selfish thing to do. 

As for masks and what not, where them where required (like the subway), and more generally just don't be a shitty fucking person. Obviously that is more difficult for some. 

But you can still carry covid if you’re vaccinated. And masks may not be that effective, plus you gotta take them off to eat. So isn’t the really unselfish thing to do just to stay home entirely?

Or you just get to decide where to draw the line on shittiness levels of people? Got it.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

But you can still carry covid if you’re vaccinated. And masks may not be that effective, plus you gotta take them off to eat. So isn’t the really unselfish thing to do just to stay home entirely?

Or you just get to decide where to draw the line on shittiness levels of people? Got it.

Please link one report from any reputable entity that shows this. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Please link one report from any reputable entity that shows this. 

Way to completely miss the point. The point is that it’s horribly hypocritical for people to arbitrarily decide where we should draw the line on this thing as to what’s acceptable from an exposure/precaution standpoint.

Fuck you, you’re a piece of shit because you travel without being vaccinated. But I’m okay to go out without a mask whenever I want because I have been vaccinated.

To be 100% responsible and not a shitty, inconsiderate piece of shit, you really have to go on complete isolated lockdown. Everything outside of that is just whatever people are comfortable with, so why is one person’s comfort level okay but someone else’s makes them a selfish piece of shit?

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Way to completely miss the point. The point is that it’s horribly hypocritical for people to arbitrarily decide where we should draw the line on this thing as to what’s acceptable from an exposure/precaution standpoint.

Fuck you, you’re a piece of shit because you travel without being vaccinated. But I’m okay to go out without a mask whenever I want because I have been vaccinated.

To be 100% responsible and not a shitty, inconsiderate piece of shit, you really have to go on complete isolated lockdown. Everything outside of that is just whatever people are comfortable with, so why is one person’s comfort level okay but someone else’s makes them a selfish piece of shit?

NYC recommends everyone wear a mask inside no matter what your vaccination level.  If you are eating or drinking, most places say you need to wear a mask unless you are at your seat or table.  For gym classes, most places allow you to remove your mask during the workout if you are vaccinated, but ask that you keep it on elsewhere.

This isn't hard.  You are just being an asshole to be an asshole.  It is like certain people on Fox News just asking questions.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

NYC recommends everyone wear a mask inside no matter what your vaccination level.  If you are eating or drinking, most places say you need to wear a mask unless you are at your seat or table.  For gym classes, most places allow you to remove your mask during the workout if you are vaccinated, but ask that you keep it on elsewhere.

This isn't hard.  You are just being an asshole to be an asshole.  It is like certain people on Fox News just asking questions.  

No I’m not. I’ve always liked you. I am vaccinated, and think everyone should be. I’m likely completely aligned with you on your stance on what we should all be doing.

Where we differ is I don’t think if someone’s opinion on the matter isn’t the same as mine, they are a piece of shit for it or should go fuck themselves.

By definition, that kind of makes you the asshole here. Well, you and @Spankytoes. Anyone from Long Island is an asshole 😂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

No I’m not. I’ve always liked you. I am vaccinated, and think everyone should be. I’m likely completely aligned with you on your stance on what we should all be doing.

Where we differ is I don’t think if someone’s opinion on the matter isn’t the same as mine, they are a piece of shit for it or should go fuck themselves.

By definition, that kind of makes you the asshole here. Well, you and @Spankytoes. Anyone from Long Island is an asshole 😂

The assholes coming from the DFW burbs are coming to NYC to spread their pestilence (and support the Rangers), and anyone supporting their decision to do so should go fuck themselves.  Anti-vaxxers are on the wrong side of this shit and shouldn't be allowed within 1000 miles of NYC.  It really is a shame our government doesn't have the balls to do what it needs to do and ban the unvaccinated from air travel.  Then @Spankytoes wouldn't have to stand up to his friends.  

And FYI, my harsh stance is directly related to the shit we went through back in the 1st wave of this mess.  We stayed locked down with significant parts of the city shut down for most of the last 1.5 years.  Now that NYC is FINALLY getting back to something resembling normal, we have to deal with asshole antivaxxers coming to town.  We have our own population who is anti-vaxx.  Why should we have to deal with morons from other places?

I would not be shocked to see all the sporting venues start to require proof of vaccination as well.  They stopped when Cuomo lifted all restrictions back in June, but the minute there is a surge here (which there will be post Labor Day when school goes back), we will see more measures put back into place.  We won't go into a full lockdown, but it will still hurt people who live here.  

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The assholes coming from the DFW burbs are coming to NYC to spread their pestilence (and support the Rangers), and anyone supporting their decision to do so should go fuck themselves.  Anti-vaxxers are on the wrong side of this shit and shouldn't be allowed within 1000 miles of NYC.  It really is a shame our government doesn't have the balls to do what it needs to do and ban the unvaccinated from air travel.  Then @Spankytoes wouldn't have to stand up to his friends.  

Anti vaxxers should be prohibited from getting on airplanes.  Our federal government needs to get its head out of its ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

In a nutshell:

Fuck people that aren’t breaking any State, Federal or local laws by taking away their Federally protected right to travel, despite not having COVID, because you don’t agree with their position. Let the government overreach its authority by dictating policies to private companies, such as airlines, despite the absence of a mask mandate, quarantine requirements or mandatory vaccinations in NY or NYC. It doesn’t matter that they will be wearing masks, when appropriate, and 2 out of 5 have recovered from COVID. It also doesn’t matter that they aren’t barred from entering their hotel, which apparently has a magical force field not found in restaurants and bars, as does the subway. If you can’t deal with the fact that many, many unvaccinated people will visit one of the most tourist-laden cities in the world, maybe NYC isn’t for you. 

And yes, fuck the Rangers.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

In a nutshell:

Fuck people that aren’t breaking any State, Federal or local laws by taking away their Federally protected right to travel, despite not having COVID, because you don’t agree with their position. Let the government overreach its authority by dictating policies to private companies, such as airlines, despite the absence of a mask mandate, quarantine requirements or mandatory vaccinations in NY or NYC. It doesn’t matter that they will be wearing masks, when appropriate, and 2 out of 5 have recovered from COVID. It also doesn’t matter that they aren’t barred from entering their hotel, which apparently has a magical force field not found in restaurants and bars, as does the subway. If you can’t deal with the fact that many, many unvaccinated people will visit one of the most tourist-laden cities in the world, maybe NYC isn’t for you. 

And yes, fuck the Rangers.

You forgot fuck the Yankees. 

Major League Baseball Smile GIF by MLB

And LMAO at you saying New York City isn't for me.  You don't even live in NYC, rather choosing to live in Long Island (and didn't you live in Hoboken before that?).  

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You forgot fuck the Yankees. 

Major League Baseball Smile GIF by MLB

And LMAO at you saying New York City isn't for me.  You don't even live in NYC, rather choosing to live in Long Island (and didn't you live in Hoboken before that?).  

I lived in Hell’s Kitchen for a year with a roommate prior to the family coming up and then Jersey City for 6 months while we were house hunting. I’ve worked downtown for 7.5 years. I’m fairly certain that I know the score. I’m married with a family, 2 of which were in high school when we relocated. You are single and have dogs. Not quite the same situation. 

You’re the one that doesn’t want to get cooties. You’re the typical transplant that makes it a point to tell the world that she lives in NYC by working it into every conversation. Not only NYC, but in the West Village where you see Leo on the reg at Joe’s Pizza. The only real question is who will play you in the movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

You’re the one that doesn’t want to get cooties. You’re the typical transplant that makes it a point to tell the world that she lives in NYC by working it into every conversation. Not only NYC, but in the West Village where you see Leo on the reg at Joe’s Pizza. The only real question is who will play you in the movie. 

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

• Haha 2

I lived in Hell’s Kitchen for a year with a roommate prior to the family coming up and then Jersey City for 6 months while we were house hunting. I’ve worked downtown for 7.5 years. I’m fairly certain that I know the score. I’m married with a family, 2 of which were in high school when we relocated. You are single and have dogs. Not quite the same situation. 

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Boom Pound It GIF by TipsyElves.com

This was in response to this post only.  I have not read the back and forth to take a side with either of you.

Edited by closetohumping

55 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I would have no problem grabbing a beer with her. You squash the beef and move forward. This is the way

Agreed.  In fact, we have had a beer together, but it was years ago.  2009 HH at Lee Harvey's.  

All of the back and forth is a little fun.  Keeps you on your toes mentally.

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor  

• Hook 'Em 1

I miss NYC, My favorite places in no particular order: Keens Steakhouse

French Roast for brunch

Fraunces Tavern and Dingle Whisky Bar

Ryan Maguires (everyone needs a good dive bar in NYC)

Tick-Tock Diner @ the New Yorker Hotel.

As Crown Shy is a favorite around here, the team behind it is opening a tasting room on the rooftop of 70 Pine.

https://ny.eater.com/2021/8/17/22627494/saga-restaurant-opening-crown-shy-nyc

This will be fun to go to when I am back from Italy (fingers crossed!).

Still no one taking me up on One White Street.  Oh well.  Will call and see if they can change the res to one.  No biggy.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

As Crown Shy is a favorite around here, the team behind it is opening a tasting room on the rooftop of 70 Pine.

https://ny.eater.com/2021/8/17/22627494/saga-restaurant-opening-crown-shy-nyc

This will be fun to go to when I am back from Italy (fingers crossed!).

Still no one taking me up on One White Street.  Oh well.  Will call and see if they can change the res to one.  No biggy.

We are locking back down otherwise we would.