Tell me about New York City

Just got here today. My teenage kid and I had dinner at this empanada place in Hells Kitchen and he was dying at the cocktail menu. I thought he was laughing at Thunder Fuck but that’s because I didn’t know what a W.A.P. is. 

AA6507A4-8C5F-4965-9ECC-6D325A3BC5F5.thumb.png.8f3ed8adbd5a2a9e78a362b227f0b8ad.png

And yes I think it’s all open.  

Edited by Your Mom

31 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Just got here today. My teenage kid and I had dinner at this empanada place in Hells Kitchen and he was dying at the cocktail menu. I thought he was laughing at Thunder Fuck but that’s because I didn’t know what a W.A.P. is. 

AA6507A4-8C5F-4965-9ECC-6D325A3BC5F5.thumb.png.8f3ed8adbd5a2a9e78a362b227f0b8ad.png

And yes I think it’s all open.  

Empanada Mama.  They used to have drag shows there.  Still a late night hang out.  Fun place.

Those Vodkas are named after famous drag queens.  

• Fuck You 1

Yes, very Pride-centric.  We loved dinner there.  Got any recs for any kind of ethnic food in the same neighborhood?  We were thinking about the Afghan place across the street.  Indian, Ethiopian, etc.. also good.  

Plenty of decent Thai places there. Penelope can elaborate.

Will be in NY for ~10 days and company covers meals up to $100 total per day. FiDi seems like a food desert (besides Joe's), but anything good that I'm missing there or nearby? Prefer unpretentious but otherwise not picky at all. 

Edited by Sal

On 7/6/2022 at 11:10 PM, Sal said:

Will be in NY for ~10 days and company covers meals up to $100 total per day. FiDi seems like a food desert (besides Joe's), but anything good that I'm missing there or nearby? Prefer unpretentious but otherwise not picky at all. 

Overstory (cocktails) and Crown Shy are at 70 Pine.  Dead Rabbit is great.  Fraunces Tavern is historic.  Manhatta also has views.  And that is just Fidi.  You are close to Tribeca, Chinatown, and South Street Seaport.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/6/2022 at 10:10 PM, Sal said:

We ate at Reserve Cut a month or so ago and it was excellent if you are looking for a higher end steakhouse. It was a large group and everyone thought it was a great meal. You can always hop on a ferry and go to any number of places.

Taking the kids in October for their first trip. Staying at the Lotte and going to let our 16 year old plan the entire trip around what she wants to do. She has been on us for years to take her and Covid set it back a couple of years.

Edited by Brew

• 2 weeks later...

We have 3 nights booked in NYC mid-August, and will be bouncing back and forth from Manhattan to Brooklyn.  Any recs on which borough is a better choice for hotel?  We will probably spend one day doing the tourist thing with our daughter who hasn't spent much time there, but I don't think that means we need to stay in Manhattan.

We're not looking for a luxury experience or a youth hostel . . . just a couple of queen beds with relatively low risk of bedbugs.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We have 3 nights booked in NYC mid-August, and will be bouncing back and forth from Manhattan to Brooklyn.  Any recs on which borough is a better choice for hotel?  We will probably spend one day doing the tourist thing with our daughter who hasn't spent much time there, but I don't think that means we need to stay in Manhattan.

We're not looking for a luxury experience or a youth hostel . . . just a couple of queen beds with relatively low risk of bedbugs.

If your are looking on the Brooklyn side, we stayed at the Williamsburg in May and it was a nice hotel in a good location. It was a few blocks to the ferry and right off of Berry St where all the restaurants were at. The rooms were incredibly small, but we didn’t spend much time there. They have a nice pool area and a bar in an old water tower with great views of the City.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2022 at 1:24 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Overstory (cocktails) and Crown Shy are at 70 Pine.  Dead Rabbit is great.  Fraunces Tavern is historic.  Manhatta also has views.  And that is just Fidi.  You are close to Tribeca, Chinatown, and South Street Seaport.

There’s a Sundays in Brooklyn in the SSS; haven’t been there but the one in Williamsburg was a chill go-to for us for years.

For sure on Fraunces and Dead Rabbit, that’s like 500 hundred years of bar history in two stops.

FiDi pretty much fucking dies at night. I’m here right now and it seems even worse as far as shit closing early than when I lived here 5-6 years ago but it might just be grumpy old asshole syndrome…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Look at the Marriott in downtown Brooklyn which is right next to Borough Hall where you can catch the 2/3/4/5 into Manhattan but probably save a little cash…

11 hours ago, Ignatius said:

For sure on Fraunces and Dead Rabbit, that’s like 500 hundred years of bar history in two stops.

I've been to both places a few times while visiting my son (his college is in FiDi).  Both places are money.   I mean, George Washington went to Fraunces Tavern!

Into the Woods extended so I got tickets for our Sept/Oct weekend visit. A 4 show visit - Funny Girl (again, wife wants to see Michelle), ITW, Death of a Salesman and the closing of Come From Away. 

Hey @PenelopeWitherspoon we might go to dinner at Heidelberg that's not too terribly far from your place if you want to join us. 

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Into the Woods extended so I got tickets for our Sept/Oct weekend visit. A 4 show visit - Funny Girl (again, wife wants to see Michelle), ITW, Death of a Salesman and the closing of Come From Away. 

Hey @PenelopeWitherspoon we might go to dinner at Heidelberg that's not too terribly far from your place if you want to join us. 

If I am in town, I am down.  I like Heidelberg.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm gonna be asking for restaurant recs in Manhattan/Brooklyn.  For starters, we need to know about great local joints in the pizza world, either classic NY thin crust or Neopolitan style.  I'm interested in John's of Bleecker Street, Roberta's, and Joe & Pat's among others, but we're open to any suggestions.

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm gonna be asking for restaurant recs in Manhattan/Brooklyn.  For starters, we need to know about great local joints in the pizza world, either classic NY thin crust or Neopolitan style.  I'm interested in John's of Bleecker Street, Roberta's, and Joe & Pat's among others, but we're open to any suggestions.

The Office Pizza GIF by Danny Chang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Roberta's is really fun but I assume you don't want to go all the way out to Bushwick. I don't think worth eating in the Manhattan outposts.

John's is great.

The best in New York is Scarr's IMO.

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Roberta's is really fun but I assume you don't want to go all the way out to Bushwick. I don't think worth eating in the Manhattan outposts.

Thanks, that's the kind of info I need.

The best in New York is Scarr's IMO.

Just looked it up . . . yep, that's gonna work.  They just made the list.  Thanks again.

Scarr's Pizza — Restaurant Review | Condé Nast Traveler

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you're in Williamsburg, checkout L'Industrie Pizzeria

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Brooklyn is a big place so narrow it down. 

Manhattan

Joe's for the NY slice.

Prince St Pizza - spicy spring square

Una Pizza Napoletana - changed my fucking life 

Staten Island's Joe and Pat's has a location in the East Village

Staten Island's Denino's has a location in the West Village. Clam pie, imo.

John's of Bleecker for a whole pie. No slices. 

11 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Brooklyn is a big place so narrow it down. 

We're hoping to stay in Manhattan, but I haven't spent much time in Brooklyn, other than a show at St. Ann's, so we'll probably spend a day in the more touristy areas.  Other than that, I doubt we'll venture very far.  The main goal is to see my daughter's band at Mercury, but she has a free day following and that's probably when we'll check out Brooklyn.  I've spent a ton of time in Manhattan so it will come down to what my wife and daughter want to do there.

Joe's for the NY slice.

John's of Bleecker for a whole pie. No slices. 

Whole pie, no problem.  I'm not thinking we're gonna do pizza more than once.  We need to take advantage of anything we can.  Classic steakhouses, Asian, other Italian, and delis are all on the list.  I just don't want to go to NYC and eat BBQ or Mexican.

Speaking of delis . . . good recs are appreciated.  I ate at Carnegie back in the day, and the pastrami sammich was bigger than my head.  I need that again.

10 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Flame away, but my favorite pizza in NY after going there for work for 25 years and living there for 5 is Emmett’s in (barely) Soho. Their specialty is deep dish Chicago-style….

Emmett’s is awesome. They opened one on Grove near my apartment and I order from there all the time. 

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I cried from laughing in POTUS.  It’s about a perfect farce. 

It was hysterical.  Fun story.  I was originally in R seat 122 (right orchestra).  The guy in front of me had a huge head and I was having to co tort to see anything.  At intermission, I asked if I could stand in the standing only to see better (I had gotten Lottery tickets so only paid $43).  The guy asked me to give him a second, then while I was getting my drink, told me to come find him once I had my drink.  They moved me to Center Orchestra, about 5-7 rows back.  Was amazing.  

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So what’s the current mask situation at the theaters? Required? Recommend/Optional? Just the facts please!

Recommended, but not required.  I wear one unless I'm drinking.  A lot of people don't wear them.

• Like 1