Tell me about New York City

On 7/29/2022 at 2:21 PM, jimmyjazz said:

We're hoping to stay in Manhattan, but I haven't spent much time in Brooklyn, other than a show at St. Ann's, so we'll probably spend a day in the more touristy areas.  Other than that, I doubt we'll venture very far.  The main goal is to see my daughter's band at Mercury, but she has a free day following and that's probably when we'll check out Brooklyn.  I've spent a ton of time in Manhattan so it will come down to what my wife and daughter want to do there.

Whole pie, no problem.  I'm not thinking we're gonna do pizza more than once.  We need to take advantage of anything we can.  Classic steakhouses, Asian, other Italian, and delis are all on the list.  I just don't want to go to NYC and eat BBQ or Mexican.

Speaking of delis . . . good recs are appreciated.  I ate at Carnegie back in the day, and the pastrami sammich was bigger than my head.  I need that again.

Post up where you end up, we're going for 5 nights the first of October. My oldest is planning out her itinerary of all the things she wants to go see/do, so we have to fill in the food choices. We'll hit up pizza once/twice and then go from there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, jimmyjazz said:

We have 3 nights booked in NYC mid-August, and will be bouncing back and forth from Manhattan to Brooklyn.  Any recs on which borough is a better choice for hotel?  We will probably spend one day doing the tourist thing with our daughter who hasn't spent much time there, but I don't think that means we need to stay in Manhattan.

We're not looking for a luxury experience or a youth hostel . . . just a couple of queen beds with relatively low risk of bedbugs.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:21 PM, jimmyjazz said:

We're hoping to stay in Manhattan, but I haven't spent much time in Brooklyn, other than a show at St. Ann's, so we'll probably spend a day in the more touristy areas.  Other than that, I doubt we'll venture very far.  The main goal is to see my daughter's band at Mercury, but she has a free day following and that's probably when we'll check out Brooklyn.  I've spent a ton of time in Manhattan so it will come down to what my wife and daughter want to do there.

Whole pie, no problem.  I'm not thinking we're gonna do pizza more than once.  We need to take advantage of anything we can.  Classic steakhouses, Asian, other Italian, and delis are all on the list.  I just don't want to go to NYC and eat BBQ or Mexican.

Speaking of delis . . . good recs are appreciated.  I ate at Carnegie back in the day, and the pastrami sammich was bigger than my head.  I need that again.

11 hours ago, Brew said:

Post up where you end up, we're going for 5 nights the first of October. My oldest is planning out her itinerary of all the things she wants to go see/do, so we have to fill in the food choices. We'll hit up pizza once/twice and then go from there. 

1.  For base, Manhattan is easier.  Links to other parts of the city are better in Manhattan.  

2. For hotels, Bryant Park Hotel is a good one, but admittedly, more for a couple than a family.  If you are looking for a family room (2 Queen Beds), there are a ton of hotels in Midtown that would meet that requirement.  I would just stay out of Times Square proper as it is a shitshow at the best of times.

3.  For Pizza, Una Pizza Napoletana was rated as best Pizza in the US, but it is Neapolitan.  Prince Street Pizza, John's of Bleecker, Joe's in Greenwich, and Di Fara (there is an outpost in Manhattan now if you do not want to go all the way to Midwood) are some other good spots.  I am interested in Keste as well, but admittedly have not been there.  San Matteo on E90th at 2nd Ave is also quite solid, but again, is Neapolitan.  

4.  Do not try and fit in too much each day.  It takes longer to get around than you will anticipate.  So many people try and cram too much into a day and part of the fun of NYC is just observing the people.  

5.  Narrow down the kinds of cuisine you want to sample.  NYC is known for Pizza and Italian, but there are good restaurants all over the place.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

1.  For base, Manhattan is easier.  Links to other parts of the city are better in Manhattan.  

2. For hotels, Bryant Park Hotel is a good one, but admittedly, more for a couple than a family.  If you are looking for a family room (2 Queen Beds), there are a ton of hotels in Midtown that would meet that requirement.  I would just stay out of Times Square proper as it is a shitshow at the best of times.

3.  For Pizza, Una Pizza Napoletana was rated as best Pizza in the US, but it is Neapolitan.  Prince Street Pizza, John's of Bleecker, Joe's in Greenwich, and Di Fara (there is an outpost in Manhattan now if you do not want to go all the way to Midwood) are some other good spots.  I am interested in Keste as well, but admittedly have not been there.  San Matteo on E90th at 2nd Ave is also quite solid, but again, is Neapolitan.  

4.  Do not try and fit in too much each day.  It takes longer to get around than you will anticipate.  So many people try and cram too much into a day and part of the fun of NYC is just observing the people.  

5.  Narrow down the kinds of cuisine you want to sample.  NYC is known for Pizza and Italian, but there are good restaurants all over the place.  

Thanks for the post. We’re staying at the Lotte. Pizza and going to Little Italy are all I’ve heard from my two at this point. They aren’t high end restaurant teenagers so we’ll probably mix in a decent steakhouse, sandwich place, and shoot for smaller, local places after that. We ate at La Grande Boucherie when we were there in May and will probably end up back there I’m sure.

Oldest is way over planning so we’re working with her on that. I would imagine we’ll hit the big things (museums, World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, Central Park) and then go from there. She also has a college tour or two lined up so that will limit her sight seeing as well.

46 minutes ago, Brew said:

Thanks for the post. We’re staying at the Lotte. Pizza and going to Little Italy are all I’ve heard from my two at this point. They aren’t high end restaurant teenagers so we’ll probably mix in a decent steakhouse, sandwich place, and shoot for smaller, local places after that. We ate at La Grande Boucherie when we were there in May and will probably end up back there I’m sure.

Oldest is way over planning so we’re working with her on that. I would imagine we’ll hit the big things (museums, World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, Central Park) and then go from there. She also has a college tour or two lined up so that will limit her sight seeing as well.

Ah, the Palace hotel.  Good central location, right behind St. Patrick's and Saks.  Should be pretty easy to get almost anywhere from there.  

There isn't much of Little Italy left to see.  Chinatown has encroached on what was Little Italy.  However, check out Eater maps.  They usually do a good job of putting together worthwhile places to check out. 

For steakhouse, the answer is Keens.  

Here is a list of Italian places, though there are a lot from the UES that could also go here to be fair.

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-italian-restaurants-nyc

Good luck!  I am very thankful that when family comes into town now, we have done all the touristy things, so we can just chill.  

As for Museums, the Cooper Hewitt Design museum, which is in Carnegie's old house is worth a visit, as is the Neue Galerie.  The Woman in Gold is worth the ticket price in person.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm here y'all! First time in NYC. Got a killer deal on the Arthouse Hotel. Going to see Bill Burr tomorrow for my girl's birthday, her favorite comedian. Her friend gifted us his Rage tickets because he can't make it, so i extended the trip a day so we could go. This city is fucking great. Expensive, but great

Arrived late, so haven't done much today but explore the immediate area. Few shots from the hotel

20220809_165742.jpg

20220809_195745.jpg

20220809_201424.jpg

20220809_202558.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:09 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Apparently my wife's sister and her husband are meeting up with us at "Rosso Pomodoro" after we arrive in a couple of days.  Decent Italian joint?  I can't exactly say "nah", but I want to maximize my gastronomical adventures during the few days we'll be there.

Never been there.  Apparently it was a Seinfeld breakup spot.

Quick trip.  Staying in NoMad.  Hate chain hotels but new Ritz here is amazing.  Only been open 2 weeks.  This neighborhood fucks hard.  

Dinner last night Le Papillon.  Was amazing.  Sit at bar for best view.  

Today Oscar Wilde more for the fun atmosphere/setting vs food.  Wife loves it - hits well as a surprise.  Gotta go at least once in my opinion.  The building housed the old prohibition offices.

Coffee at Patent Coffee next door.  Incredible.  Lorenzo makes the syrups in house.  Spicy boy is legit - don’t judge.  Also Tesla lived in an apt above the coffee shop.  It’s a speak easy after 5pm.  We may check it out but heard it’s a cluster fuck of people.  Not the wife’s style.  

Manhatta for sunset views tonight then who knows.  Hard to fuck up nyc.  

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So what's the preferred method to get from LaGuardia to midtown -- Uber, bus, train?  Is one quicker?

Easy Uber.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Glad to see y’all having fun here! I work in a restaurant so generally I fo not go to a ton of places. There is a Moroccan place about a 15 minute walk from where I work called Shalel Lounge. It’s on the UWS and is below street level. I have eaten there a few times and it has always been really good and I like the atmosphere. I really enjoyed the Lamb Shakshuka from this place.

https://shalel.kitchen

Headed to Le Dive to meet up with a friend in town from Copenhagen.  Then we have reservations at Cagen, my favorite sushi place.  Will probably head somewhere after dinner for drinks.  

Since it looks like hellish summer is sort of over, I'm probably going to head to Woodside tomorrow night for some Thai.  Zaab Zaab got 3 stars from the NY Times.  

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Get an Uber.  It’s super damn easy.  

Any experience on how quick they are to respond?  I'm kinda loathe to book in advance (even if possible) given the shitty on-time nature of air travel these days.  If I can get someone there in 15-20 minutes I'd just as soon wait until we get our luggage.

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any experience on how quick they are to respond?  I'm kinda loathe to book in advance (even if possible) given the shitty on-time nature of air travel these days.  If I can get someone there in 15-20 minutes I'd just as soon wait until we get our luggage.

Quick to respond, you'll be in a car within a few minutes, and definitely the way to go from LGA to midtown.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

As Creeper said above.  In under 10 min from when you request.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/11/2022 at 7:41 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I feel the nyc attitude as it was told to me was overblown. Most everyone has been at least cordial, of not downright nice

This was always what I encountered living there for a few years. Don’t stop some dude on the sidewalk at 8:30AM to ask where the fucking Empire State Building is and people are cool

On 8/9/2022 at 10:44 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm here y'all! First time in NYC. Got a killer deal on the Arthouse Hotel. Going to see Bill Burr tomorrow for my girl's birthday, her favorite comedian. Her friend gifted us his Rage tickets because he can't make it, so i extended the trip a day so we could go. This city is fucking great. Expensive, but great

Arrived late, so haven't done much today but explore the immediate area.

Dublin Pub about 2 blocks up Broadway from your hotel is a chill bar if you’re looking for a place to cap off the night.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:22 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

There isn't much of Little Italy left to see.  Chinatown has encroached on what was Little Italy.

True, though a lot of the restaurants that are left there are about as Italian as Olive Garden. For anyone who wants to get a real Little Italy experience, invest the time to check out Arthur Avenue in the Bronx…

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/27/2022 at 5:58 PM, RiceOwl said:

I live in FiDi (though I'm moving to Hoboken next month)...

Some other good places that haven't been mentioned:

-Little Shop for "speakeasy" type cocktails

-Pisillo for Italian sandwiches

-Cedar Local for happy hour

Don’t know how I missed this earlier; Pisillo is the shit!

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

This was always what I encountered living there for a few years. Don’t stop some dude on the sidewalk at 8:30AM to ask where the fucking Empire State Building is and people are cool

Dublin Pub about 2 blocks up Broadway from your hotel is a chill bar if you’re looking for a place to cap off the night.

True, though a lot of the restaurants that are left there are about as Italian as Olive Garden. For anyone who wants to get a real Little Italy experience, invest the time to check out Arthur Avenue in the Bronx…

Sitting in Malachy's Donegal Inn as i post this. Almost went there today on my nap walk (my gf has narcolepsy and takes maps in the afternoon so i get to explore on my own) but wasn't wowed by their beer list. I get one more tomorrow, so think I'll check out Dublin Pub tomorrow as it's my last day. Seeing rage later in the day so it'll be a nice pregame.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

So I thought I would include my list of places that I am eager to try.  

1. Saigon Social - Vietnamese in the LES (https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/05/dining/saigon-social-review-pete-wells.html)

2. Zaab Zaab - Thai on Woodside (https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/28/dining/zaab-zaab-review-isan-thai-food-nyc.html)

3. Studio 151 - Sushi in a clubby environment (https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york/reviews/studio-151)

4. MAM - Vietnamese in Chainatown (https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york/reviews/mam)

5.  Sushi on Me - Sushi in Jackson Heights (https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york/reviews/sushi-on-me)

I have a much longer list, but these are must trys for me.  And I have found that if I have a longer list, it takes me too long to get through it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don't have the high-$ palate that @PenelopeWitherspoon has, but in just a few days in NYC I managed to hit my expectations:

1.  a great NY slice -- Sacco in Hell's Kitchen (819 9th Ave).  Classic tiny NYC pizza joint, thin crust pie, a bit floppy, some grease, best folded and consumed while walking.

2. a good Italian dinner for 6 -- Da Andrea in the West Village (35 W 13th St.).  Not pricey by NY standards, tasty, fun, ate on the outdoor dining on the sidewalk where it was loud and the service was ace.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 8:39 PM, UpperWestside said:

New Yorkers are a really nice group of people overall. They have been exceedingly good to me over the years that I have been here. The tourists I get from around the world always comment on how nice the people are here and how helpful they are.

New Yorkers can get a bad rap, but I’ve always thought on the whole they’re great folks. They might not seem as “friendly” as Southerners. But they live in a busier, faster-paced environment, and they generally don’t idle as much as we do in the South. So it might come off as curt or not as warm. But they’re always willing to help with recommendations, directions, etc., even if you have “tourist” written on your forehead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wrapping up a solid NYC weekend.  

Normally stay in Manhattan but decided on the William Vale in Williamsburg this time.  Did not disappoint.  Had dinner/drinks at their rooftop (Westlight) Friday night then went to Brooklyn Mirage for Gryffin.  Unreal experience.  Haven’t been since they renovated the venue and it’s incredible.  

Brunch Saturday at Egg Shop (one of the best BEC’s I’ve ever had), then Vale Pool for the afternoon.  Ventured back over to Elsewhere for another show and ended the night at Mirage again.  

I hadn’t spent much time in Brooklyn before this weekend but had a blast.  Nice to venture outside of Manhattan a bit.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My wife's sister (no pics of either, jerks) took us to the Met.  I enjoyed it as I always do, but by mid-afternoon I was suffering from the sister-estrogen overload and told them I was headed back to our hotel on 37th.  Kind of a dumpy area, but central enough.  My SIL was very concerned that I would get lost crossing Central Park, even though I've probably spent at least 100 nights in NYC because my sis lived there for 12 years.  I got tired of arguing, left, and let Google Maps pick the trails from the Met to the Dakota.  Flawless navigation.

I will admit that Google Maps suffers in the busier areas of town, probably because of the tall buildings, but if you get lost in Central Park I'm gonna say it's your own fault.  Plus, "streets east-west", "avenues north-south".  Come on.

Oh yeah, I took a nap in Sheep Meadow.  Man, that was awesome.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Had a fun time in the West Village this weekend. The weather was nice and I’m relishing the Summer weather and relative lack of crowds!

Saturday went to Dante West Village for brunch...amazing cocktails, great service, good food and fun vibes...I’ve been to Cafe Dante as well and this one is a nice complement to the OG. Props to Penelope and this thread for putting Dante on my radar.

Today went to Suprema Provisions for apps and wine early afternoon (cheeseboard, cured meats, deviled eggs) then strolled around going into various shops before hitting up Via Carota for some tasty burrata, cacio e pepe, Sicilian meatballs and more vino. Both were very good but I liked Suprema more.

I live in Hoboken and the Path was packed both days so lots of folks enjoying The City!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BearCountry11 said:

Wrapping up a solid NYC weekend.  

Normally stay in Manhattan but decided on the William Vale in Williamsburg this time.  Did not disappoint.  Had dinner/drinks at their rooftop (Westlight) Friday night then went to Brooklyn Mirage for Gryffin.  Unreal experience.  Haven’t been since they renovated the venue and it’s incredible.  

Brunch Saturday at Egg Shop (one of the best BEC’s I’ve ever had), then Vale Pool for the afternoon.  Ventured back over to Elsewhere for another show and ended the night at Mirage again.  

I hadn’t spent much time in Brooklyn before this weekend but had a blast.  Nice to venture outside of Manhattan a bit.  

I spent a lot of late nights at the Mirage, Elsewhere and Nowadays in my younger days (i.e., 3 years ago). Great venues to let loose.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh yeah, I took a nap in Sheep Meadow.  Man, that was awesome.

A terrific afternoon.

I forgot, we took a short stroll on The Highline right before we had to leave for LaGuardia.  We caught it ~ 30th Street, and my sis-in-law thought it should have headed south from there, as opposed to north (which it did).  Is it currently two distinct parks?

Yeah, I could google a map.  Sue me.

Fiancé and I are debating a trip up there. Have kinda been holding off due to all of the craziness but that doesn’t seem to be going away. I’ve lived there before so I know the deal, stuff can go down anywhere it’s just life and this thread is making me want to get back there. Maybe October is the move? Debating if seeing New York in winter for the first time would be a plus or just miserable and cold. I know I’d love it regardless but don’t know about my west coaster

6 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Fiancé and I are debating a trip up there. Have kinda been holding off due to all of the craziness but that doesn’t seem to be going away. I’ve lived there before so I know the deal, stuff can go down anywhere it’s just life and this thread is making me want to get back there. Maybe October is the move? Debating if seeing New York in winter for the first time would be a plus or just miserable and cold. I know I’d love it regardless but don’t know about my west coaster

What craziness?  Seriously, most of what is happening now is just pretty typical big city BS.  It is getting amplified by certain media outlets and people because of politics.  Manhattan especially is still one of the safest big cities around.  You just have to be aware of your surroundings.  

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

You’re far, far more likely to get run over by an ebike than assaulted or even harassed in NYC these days. 

I had to laugh at the traffic.  Uber, ebike, whatever . . . those fuckers are aggressive, even at 5 mph.  Stick your nose in and GO.

9 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Debating if seeing New York in winter for the first time would be a plus or just miserable and cold. I know I’d love it regardless but don’t know about my west coaster

I went to New York once in mid-December, froze my ass off, and had a blast. Would go back that same time of year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What craziness?  Seriously, most of what is happening now is just pretty typical big city BS.  It is getting amplified by certain media outlets and people because of politics.  Manhattan especially is still one of the safest big cities around.  You just have to be aware of your surroundings.  

I assume (but could be wrong) that the main issue is petty theft, just like most major cities. London is a shitshow these days with watch and handbag theft. I no longer wear my nicer watches out and my wife has had 2 handbags nicked in the last 2 year, one of which was last night in our local. Fucking hate that shit but that’s life in nice areas of big cities.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:01 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

I assume (but could be wrong) that the main issue is petty theft, just like most major cities. London is a shitshow these days with watch and handbag theft. I no longer wear my nicer watches out and my wife has had 2 handbags nicked in the last 2 year, one of which was last night in our local. Fucking hate that shit but that’s life in nice areas of big cities.

Petty theft has always been an issue in London and Paris.  I still carry my bags, but I'm always very careful.  Always have been to be fair. How did your wife have two bags knicked?

Went and saw Celeste Barber at the Beacon tonight.  She is SO funny.  Even got a good Texas politics joke in.  Now doing the chef's counter Omakase at Nonoka.  It's an under the radar spot on the UWS (Amseterdam and 79th/80th).  

Headed to NYC tonight. Late arrival so any Upper East Side late night pizza rec’s are appreciated….near 76th and Lexington for reference.

Thursday morning Tenement Museum…a quirky item on my list that my wife finally gave in to in exchange for courtside seats at Friday US Open day session.

Lunch tomorrow at Joe’s Shanghai on Bowery…an old favorite I “discovered” thanks solely to a precursor to this thread from another Longhorns board universe…probably HornFans. And probably from someone still active in this thread.

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Headed to NYC tonight. Late arrival so any Upper East Side late night pizza rec’s are appreciated….near 76th and Lexington for reference.

Thursday morning Tenement Museum…a quirky item on my list that my wife finally gave in to in exchange for courtside seats at Friday US Open day session.

Lunch tomorrow at Joe’s Shanghai on Bowery…an old favorite I “discovered” thanks solely to a precursor to this thread from another Longhorns board universe…probably HornFans. And probably from someone still active in this thread.

UES is not a great pizza destination, unfortunately, and the best of the bunch--PQR--closed earlier this month.  San Matteo near 80th and 2nd is probably the best, but be aware that it's Neapolitan and not NY-style.  If you want NY, the OG Patsy's is further north... 1st Ave and 118th or so.  Haven't been in years but used to be reliable.  

Edit to add, my favorite spot in the area is JG Melon for cocktails, beer, burgers, and the old school bar staff.

Edited by creeper
  • Hook 'Em 2

Heading to the city in a couple of weeks. Food-wise, currently have Keens, Balthazar, Joe Allen (post-theater), and Sushi 151 for dinners. Still deciding on an Italian dinner and Sunday brunch (gay-centric, but no drag plz).. if anyone has any can't miss. Staying ESB-area, Hotel Hendricks. 

1 hour ago, Eastside said:

Heading to the city in a couple of weeks. Food-wise, currently have Keens, Balthazar, Joe Allen (post-theater), and Sushi 151 for dinners. Still deciding on an Italian dinner and Sunday brunch (gay-centric, but no drag plz).. if anyone has any can't miss. Staying ESB-area, Hotel Hendricks. 

Sushi 151 is on my list.  As for gay-centric brunch, I’d hit Buvette as it’s in the West Village and tops a number of lists.  

What show you going to see?  And welcome back!