Tell me about New York City

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Best fried chicken I've ever had.

It is really good.  Best I’ve ever had?  I make mean fried chicken.

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Deviled eggs to start; a thigh and a drumstick for the entree with a side of mac & greens.

This was my order last time I believe.

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'm in an Uber on my way home.  Went to Samovar at 5 to hang with a friend and drink flavored vodka.  Then it was on to Hadestown (was really good..believe some of the OG cast is back), then to BXL to drink Saison Dupont on tap until last call.  Good night all around.

We are actually going to BXL tomorrow for dinner between shows since it’ll be pouring and I don’t want to venture far.  

Tonight is Heidelberg. Brunch tomorrow at Balthazar, brunch Sunday at The Smith with some friends who are actually in Hadestown’s backstage crew

We’re seeing Funny Girl tonight, Into the Woods and Death of a Salesman Saturday and the final performance of Come From Away Sunday. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just made it into the office.  I am the only one hear.  Another glorious day in NYC, but chilly enough that I have on a sweater coat.  I am headed downtown to the McQueen store in Soho to pick up my coat.  My friend that I was drinking vodka with yesterday afternoon might tag along.  If so, we might grab dinner while down there.  I was supposed to work out as I am giving up my membership to Aqua Studio, but I am not making it.  Too many other things to enjoy instead.  I wish they had a location on the UES instead of Tribeca. It is just a beating to go down there on a regular basis from Sutton Place.  If we do not stay downtown for dinner, I might be uptown, but not at Heidelberg.  The son from Schaller and Weber opened a new bar there, Jeremy's, with a focus on Schnapps and Austrian food.  

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We are actually going to BXL tomorrow for dinner between shows since it’ll be pouring and I don’t want to venture far.  

Tonight is Heidelberg. Brunch tomorrow at Balthazar, brunch Sunday at The Smith with some friends who are actually in Hadestown’s backstage crew

We’re seeing Funny Girl tonight, Into the Woods and Death of a Salesman Saturday and the final performance of Come From Away Sunday. 

Starring Bunk?

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Fucking killed it. A completely different show. It’s amazing how awful Bernie and Jane Lynch was - what idiotic carting choices. 

I just read the review from yesterday in the New York Times.  Seems they like her.  I am glad I waited to try and see it.  Have put in for lottery tix.  Will definitely go see it.

I told my friend I would go see Beetlejuice with her, since it is closing in January, so that is going to go on my list.  I also want to see 1776.

Once they are open, & Juliet and Some Like It Hot are on my must see list.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Saison DuPont, bitterballen and curry mussels. Great pre-theater dinner. 

87395926-9-A87-4-A8-A-ACEA-4694-DF7913-A

91-DE0941-AD1-D-4-C04-A930-C7-E89-B526-D

FBFE976-B-F9-F7-44-BE-A141-8-E9-B1620-AB

Death of a Salesman was powerful. I have to think about it for a while to complete absorb it I think. 

Pierce is a terrific actor.  I look forward to your review.

On 9/30/2022 at 9:48 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

Doing brunch at the Smith Midtown location tomorrow. If you hear someone asking, “Are you from the internet?” that will be me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Met some friends who were also in town for a visit for drinks last night (hurting a bit this morning), then met an OLD law school buddy who lived here with his husband at Antique Garage in Soho for brunch. Now purse shopping with my wife…sigh. Hamilton later, then maybe a short nap before dinner, because tired and hangover.
Kind of love that we have people in NY, and we even ran into other people visiting at the same time.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Met some friends who were also in town for a visit for drinks last night (hurting a bit this morning), then met an OLD law school buddy who lived here with his husband at Antique Garage in Soho for brunch. Now purse shopping with my wife…sigh. Hamilton later, then maybe a short nap before dinner, because tired and hangover.
Kind of love that we have people in NY, and we even ran into other people visiting at the same time.

Where did your wife go purse shopping and what did she buy?

• Like 1

Where did your wife go purse shopping and what did she buy?

She’s been an MZ Wallace fan girl for 20+ years, so she had to go by the flagship store on Crosby. Shit if I know what she bought - some damn purse. It’s part of their new collection, in gray and pink. It’s a midsize crossbody, I think. At least it wasn’t the big ass one that cost even more.

Hamilton this afternoon - was even better than expected. And, wife is excited because she said something about it on Instagram and Nik Walker, who did an amazing job playing Aaron Burr, liked it and they’re now following each other. It really was something else to see live, I was duly impressed.

Dinner at Salumeria Rossi. Meat and cheese board was good, but not life changing. Gnocchi was great, though, and the lasagna was rich, and perfect for a chilly evening. Taking it easy for the rest of the night, fly home tomorrow.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would just stay out of Times Square proper as it is a shitshow at the best of times.  

Wife suggested the Marriott Grand Marquis. I tried mansplaining Times Square.

She is trying to talk me into Essex House or the Ritz Carlton on CPS.

Any unobvious hotels that are midtown close to the park that I should consider.

She’s been an MZ Wallace fan girl for 20+ years, so she had to go by the flagship store on Crosby. Shit if I know what she bought - some damn purse. It’s part of their new collection, in gray and pink. It’s a midsize crossbody, I think. At least it wasn’t the big ass one that cost even more.

Hamilton this afternoon - was even better than expected. And, wife is excited because she said something about it on Instagram and Nik Walker, who did an amazing job playing Aaron Burr, liked it and they’re now following each other. It really was something else to see live, I was duly impressed.

Dinner at Salumeria Rossi. Meat and cheese board was good, but not life changing. Gnocchi was great, though, and the lasagna was rich, and perfect for a chilly evening. Taking it easy for the rest of the night, fly home tomorrow.

1st time seeing Hamilton?

My wife and I are taking my daughter to NYC for her birthday in Feb.

Glad y’all had a good time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 day down, 4 to go. Hit up the area around the hotel with the kids today and went by Grand Central, the Chrysler Building, and various other quick hit touristy stuff. Wrapped it up with dinner and Wicked. My oldest insisted on going through Times Square afterwards against our better judgment where she and several others got pushed out into traffic by some dude walking down the street. I went after him and stopped to say something to a group of cops and one proceeded to blow it off and say someone would knock him out at some point even though we could see the guy the next block down. That wrapped up that plan which was fine with me.

Heading to the Met in the morning and then they want to do some shopping on Madison/Park.

Edited by Brew

Forget to mention, they did the hang out outside of Rockefeller after SNL to see people leave deal last night. Got pictures with Miles Teller (their current teenage obsession) and Bowen Yang and then pictures of several others. That pretty much made their week so it will all be downhill from there.

For those looking at hotels, the Lotte New York Palace rooms have seen better days. My wife has been trying to convince me to move, but it’s not happening at this point. 

It was interesting seeing the Polish parade all afternoon today. Start to finish it was about 4 hours total of screwed up traffic and walking areas down 5th.

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

Forget to mention, they did the hang out outside of Rockefeller after SNL to see people leave deal last night. Got pictures with Miles Teller (their current teenage obsession) and Bowen Yang and then pictures of several others. That pretty much made their week so it will all be downhill from there.

For those looking at hotels, the Lotte New York Palace rooms have seen better days. My wife has been trying to convince me to move, but it’s not happening at this point. 

It was interesting seeing the Polish parade all afternoon today. Start to finish it was about 4 hours total of screwed up traffic and walking areas down 5th.

We heard them setting it up from our hotel and when I went to pick up Starbucks at the pick up spot across from the library it was a shitshow. And that was at 930! 

25 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

IMO the best hotel at Central Park is St Regis and Conrad Midtown. Conrad isn’t luxury but a good deal usually with big rooms (used to be the London). The MO is at Columbus Circle if you want to go that route. But imo the best spot is Manhattan is Bryant Park unless you’re staying down in SoHo or south.  

7 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I've stayed at Essex House.  I liked it.  I've also stayed at the Plaza.  Enjoyed that one as well.

For other hotels near Central Park, check out the Park Hyatt, Le Meridian (I have stayed here a tond as well), 1 Hotel, and Thompson Central Park.  You also might look at the Whitby or the Peninsula.  Peninsula is at 55th and 5th.  The Whitby is at 56th and 5th.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just be glad it isn't Goyard or Delvaux.  Grin and bear a trip to MZ Wallace.  

I am not sure who the cast is in Hamilton at the moment, but when we went and saw it last September, I was very happy with the cast.  I was worried I would be disappointed since I had seen in in August 2015, right after it transferred to Broadway from the Public with the original cast, but that was not the case.  It was just different.

8 hours ago, Brew said:

1 day down, 4 to go. Hit up the area around the hotel with the kids today and went by Grand Central, the Chrysler Building, and various other quick hit touristy stuff. Wrapped it up with dinner and Wicked. My oldest insisted on going through Times Square afterwards against our better judgment where she and several others got pushed out into traffic by some dude walking down the street. I went after him and stopped to say something to a group of cops and one proceeded to blow it off and say someone would knock him out at some point even though we could see the guy the next block down. That wrapped up that plan which was fine with me.

Heading to the Met in the morning and then they want to do some shopping on Madison/Park.

Right now, the Kimono Style exhibit is on at the Met, and I think it is really cool.  So is the Afrofuturist Room.  

On shopping, it is all on Madison until you get down to near the plaza, and then you also have it on 5th, 59th, 58th and 57th between Madison and 5th.  

15 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

1st time seeing Hamilton?

My wife and I are taking my daughter to NYC for her birthday in Feb.

Glad y’all had a good time.

yep, first time seeing it actually on stage.  We have seen the filmed version with the OG cast, and knew the songs and story.  But it was so much better and more powerful live.  And the cast they have on stage right now is damned good.  And yeah, that there are little twists each one puts onto the part makes it even better -- it's never the exact same show twice, I'm guessing.

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Just be glad it isn't Goyard or Delvaux.  Grin and bear a trip to MZ Wallace.  

I am not sure who the cast is in Hamilton at the moment, but when we went and saw it last September, I was very happy with the cast.  I was worried I would be disappointed since I had seen in in August 2015, right after it transferred to Broadway from the Public with the original cast, but that was not the case.  It was just different.

Oh, she makes up for the lower price with volume.  No $3,000 purses.  Just five hundred $300 purses (I exaggerate....she probably has only 100 purses).

My wife has a purse problem and this crappy weather is helping her cause. It looks like shopping is on the agenda for tomorrow. She also discovered Heritage Auctions while we were walking today and their collection of purses that are being auctioned. They have quite the display In their showroom on Park.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

My buddy actually had his birthday party there at the bar as a joke. 40 ppl showed up. All went to a club after. Good times.

Buddy and I hit the bar late at an Applebees in Fayettenam last year after our debacle of a game.  We figured we deserved the continued suffering.  We were right.

First time I've been inside one in probably 20 years.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:57 PM, BearSchlong said:

I’m taking my kids this weekend since they have four days off and we are staying at 1hotel right off the park. I have stayed there before and enjoyed it. 

it is my 9 and 7 year olds’ first time so mostly the classic hits but I could use a rec for something new/fresh for dinner before wicked on Sunday night.  No per se lunch, eleven Madison park dinner on the same day this time. My girls love when I cook out of the Balthazar cookbook so headed there Saturday evening for the og. Vanderbilt summit experience, moma, cp, high line, ferry round trip for statue all on the agenda along with wicked. Also, where is the current zeitgeist on unmatched pizza and bagels that no one’s ever heard of these days (besides sbarro of course)?

• Like 1