Tell me about New York City

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I have a quick trip coming up in December. I'm staying near Rockefeller Center. 

I need restaurant and night life recommendations. Specifically, a really good Italian place close to Rockefeller Center. 

Any Christmas in NYC recommendations would also be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Get tickets to a show.  Eat here:

https://www.tonysnyc.com/

On 8/11/2018 at 6:45 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I have a quick trip coming up in December. I'm staying near Rockefeller Center. 

I need restaurant and night life recommendations. Specifically, a really good Italian place close to Rockefeller Center. 

Any Christmas in NYC recommendations would also be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

People hate it when New Yorkers say anything they do is the best. That said, NYC does Christmas better than anywhere else in the States. Enjoy the lights up and down 5th Ave, and generally enjoy a city that adores that time of year and extravagantly celebrates Christmas to the hilt. I'm not a huge Italian food guy, but I just want to get you excited about coming to the city at its best.

6 hours ago, Stunns38 said:
8 hours ago, HornPhD said:
If you are going with a wife/girlfriend and/or kids, the Christmas Spectacular featuring the Rockettes is worth it. 
Jimmy's Corner is an awesome dive bar in the Times Square area.

i thought Jimmys shut down.

Negged.

10 hours ago, Stunns38 said:
12 hours ago, HornPhD said:
If you are going with a wife/girlfriend and/or kids, the Christmas Spectacular featuring the Rockettes is worth it. 
Jimmy's Corner is an awesome dive bar in the Times Square area.

i thought Jimmys shut down.

Not according to Yelp

• 3 months later...

Just got back from NYC over Thanksgiving...

Meals:

Keens Steakhouse - Really cool old spot.  Food and service were crap.  Buddy of mine and I got kicked out of there the last time I was in NY because we were "too drunk" and I decided not to hold it against them and give it another try.  Wish I had held it against them.  I know it's iconic, but their food and our waiter were pretty shitty.

Emilio's Ballato - Great little old Italian place.  Sat in a back room in the corner facing the only door after walking through the kitchen.  Felt like a mobster.  Food was really good, service was great, had a blast and really cool overall experience.

Daniel for Thanksgiving - Prix fixe menu that was REALLY expensive...and fussy.  I generally don't care that much if a special meal is a little spendy, but this was ridiculously expensive.     Good but not worth the price at all.  Only regret of the trip.

Babbo - Outstanding!!!  Not sure how anyone could have anything but great things to say about this place.  Food, service, atmosphere, people watching...great spot.  Until further notice, this might be the only place I insist on going every time I'm back in NY.

Bagels & Pizza - Tried to eat some bagels and $.99 pizza whenever we could.  All ranged from great to horrible depending on the time of day, our drunkenness level, how we ordered and how much effort we had to put into it.

Hotel:

Stayed at the WestHouse.  It was okay but I wouldn't stay there again.  They claim they're 5 star, but they're 4 star at best.  About 2/3 of the staff was cold and not very charming at all (which is not  the case at most places in NY despite what most people might think...especially 5 star places).  And the little touches that make a place 5 star were just not there.

Drinks:

Bemelmans - Awesome time on the upper east side.  Place was dripping with history and piles of money with 1/2 inch thick dust on all of it.  People could not have been cooler (both staff and patrons) and despite thinking it might be a little intimidating, we felt like we'd been going there for years after about 10 minutes.  It was there that my wife proclaimed herself as an upper east side girl...which was about the time that I proclaimed that she'd need to find a richer husband.

Baccarat Bar - It was worth a visit and again, the staff was badass.  That crystal was insane and kind of makes you want to order one of every drink on the menu just so you can see the next glass they bring it out in.

Viceroy - It was worth a visit for the view.  Although it snowed the night we were up there and we couldn't really see shit.  I'm guessing during the day is probably the time to go.  Staff was cool and that back entrance thing they have feels pretty cool which I'm sure it's intended to be for tourists like me.

Stumbling Places - There were several others that we dipped in and out of throughout the trip.  Most all were great and that's really part of the fun in NYC.  I think maybe only one time did we leave without at least ordering a drink the whole time we were there because it wasn't really our scene.  Everywhere had something cool about it and, depending on your mood, you might just stumble onto the perfect place...even if you didn't know it.

Other:

Watched the Cowboys game on Thanksgiving at The Playwrite and it was a fucking blast.  Started the game not knowing a single person and feeling kind of out of place.  Left being best friends with everyone there.  Free shots for everyone when the Cowboys scored.  And everyone could not have been nicer.  We had more fun watching a Cowboys game in NY than in Dallas.

Overall...another great trip to NYC and can't wait to go back.  Best city in the world...to visit.

• Like 3

The best part of eating in the city is that there really arent horrible restaurants (accept for the chains for tourists).  Different levels of price and quality?  yes.  But it's so competitive that if your food sucks you're closed down in a month.   Definitely check off a few bucket list places but IMO just wander around and look at menus and go in.  

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Emilio's Ballato - Great little old Italian place.  Sat in a back room in the corner facing the only door after walking through the kitchen.  Felt like a mobster.  Food was really good, service was great, had a blast and really cool overall experience.

Daniel for Thanksgiving - Prix fixe menu that was REALLY expensive...and fussy.  I generally don't care that much if a special meal is a little spendy, but this was ridiculously expensive.     Good but not worth the price at all.  Only regret of the trip.

Babbo - Outstanding!!!  Not sure how anyone could have anything but great things to say about this place.  Food, service, atmosphere, people watching...great spot.  Until further notice, this might be the only place I insist on going every time I'm back in NY.

You picked some good places.

Keen's - I go for Martini's and Mutton Chop with work friends a few times a year. Good place to be thrown out of. 

Emilio's Ballato - Used to live around the corner from Emilio's on Motto St. Saw Jessica Simpson trashed in there one night. That's all I got. 

Daniel - Good is great. Hits the wallet hard.

Babbo - Food is fantastic. Rapist owner is not.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Stumbling Places - There were several others that we dipped in and out of throughout the trip.  Most all were great and that's really part of the fun in NYC.  I think maybe only one time did we leave without at least ordering a drink the whole time we were there because it wasn't really our scene.  Everywhere had something cool about it and, depending on your mood, you might just stumble onto the perfect place...even if you didn't know it.

This.  Well put.

14 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Once they get a Starbuck's they'll really have everything.

We were there on TG week and wife insisted on going to Starbucks.  Multiple times.

No comment.

Though we were able to make a stop at Lugers which was nice. 

10 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Keen's - I go for Martini's and Mutton Chop with work friends a few times a year. Good place to be thrown out of. 

Emilio's Ballato - Used to live around the corner from Emilio's on Motto St. Saw Jessica Simpson trashed in there one night. That's all I got. 

My spelling really goes to shit after three glasses of scotch. 

9 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Oh yeah...sorry, forgot to mention, martini was great!  At Keens.  Didn’t try the chop, despite everyone saying it’s all about the chop there.  Fuck me for not listening.  But fuck them for being a “steakhouse” and the pork chop being the only good thing on the menu.

Emiliios...funny...worlds colide.  I saw Jessica Simpson wasted here.  At the rattlesnake bar at the Ritz.  Sadly for her, when the waiter at Emilio’s was telling me (very discreetly) about all the famous people who’ve been there, he didn’t mention Jessica Simpson.  He did, however, somehow know that telling me Rihanna sat in my chair would get him a great tip.

Babbo - Allegedly, sir.  Allegedly.  And it wasn’t full blown rape was it?  Anyway, yeah...I was actually a little unsettled about the fact that one of the partners (Mario) is a little rapey and the other partner (Joe) I cannot fucking stand. But even despite all of that...that place is great.

11 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Didn’t try the chop, despite everyone saying it’s all about the chop there.  Fuck me for not listening.  But fuck them for being a “steakhouse” and the pork chop being the only good thing on the menu.

i've take it you haven't been to all the shaggy g2g at perrys steakhouse?