Tell me about New York City

53 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am sorry to hear that.  That sucks.  This is why I wish people would be fucking responsible.  Those of that are, why the fuck should we bear the burden of their stupidity?

Yep. A coworker lied about his vaccination status and handed out new equipment to 70 or so people while he had Covid but didn’t tell anyone. These people need to die. 

Im fine. Just being super cautious.  

36 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh fuck.  I am so sorry.  

It’s been 5 days and my daily test is negative so I should be clear.

This is why unvaccinated people shouldn’t be out in public. It ruins lives for those who are being good citizens  

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Yep. A coworker lied about his vaccination status and handed out new equipment to 70 or so people while he had Covid but didn’t tell anyone. These people need to die. 

Im fine. Just being super cautious.  

That sucks man. At our firm we had to upload proof of vaccination or our access cards were shut off. Seems like it would be really difficult for people to lie but I guess I underestimate the resourcefulness of selfish assholes.

15 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

It’s been 5 days and my daily test is negative so I should be clear.

This is why unvaccinated people shouldn’t be out in public. It ruins lives for those who are being good citizens  

But a bunch of unvaccinated a-holes from TX want to go to NYC for a baseball game because “Muh rights!” Idiots one and all, including those who enable them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That sucks man. At our firm we had to upload proof of vaccination or our access cards were shut off. Seems like it would be really difficult for people to lie but I guess I underestimate the resourcefulness of selfish assholes.

Just found out at my new place of business, we also have to upload proof of vaccination to go to the office.  No one is required to be in the office, but the office location is actually convenient for me if I am going out to dinner or going to my exercise studio (much closer to public transport links than my house), so that is kind of nice.

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have a ton of stuff to share.  Just have been trying to wrap up my consulting gig and get prepared to go back in house with another company.  Once I wrap up this big push, I think things will be better.  

Going to Fulgrances Laundromat tonight and then One White Street tomorrow.

I’ve got a One White Street next Friday night. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

CNN saying it may start back up @10, not sure if crowd will be allowed back in. 

They evacuated everyone and told everyone to leave.  It was raining cats and dogs.  They may have people play, but I doubt there will be a crowd.  It took us over an hour to get in.  I cannot imagine they would be able to get the crowd back in any sort of fashion that made sense.  

Just now, Underdog said:

Yeah, Erica Hill mentioned the logistics with security/checkpoints probably wouldn't allow fans back in.  

Oh well.  I was most excited about Elvis Costello and LL Cool J.  I just saw Springsteen in July on Broadway, and saw Paul Simon at JazzFest when I was in college.

Batiste was really good.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I was at Forrest Hills at a Wilco show. Absolute fucking down pour. Was awesome. A very wet train ride home.

Yeah.  I just took the dogs out as it seemed the rain had lightened up.  Rini went immediately.  Harvey fucked around until it started pouring again.  In 2 minutes, completely drenched.  I still made the little fucker pee.  He hates the rain.

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah.  I just took the dogs out as it seemed the rain had lightened up.  Rini went immediately.  Harvey fucked around until it started pouring again.  In 2 minutes, completely drenched.  I still made the little fucker pee.  He hates the rain.

Sounds like Harvey fucked around and found out

• Haha 2

Went to the 10:00 show at comedy cellar tonight. Pretty normal first three acts. Fourth act, former Senator Al Franklin pops in. He proceeds to give a 30 minute set (the usual is 10). He mostly just shot the shit, told really funny jokes. He spent about 15 minutes doing random impressions of other senators (Bernie, Mitch, Grassley, etc) mixed in with Senate stories. He then spent the last 7-10 minutes or so telling us stories about how much more awful Ted Cruz is to be around in person than he appears on TV.

It was really bizarre to see, but that guy is hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Went to the 10:00 show at comedy cellar tonight. Pretty normal first three acts. Fourth act, former Senator Al Franklin pops in. He proceeds to give a 30 minute set (the usual is 10). He mostly just shot the shit, told really funny jokes. He spent about 15 minutes doing random impressions of other senators (Bernie, Mitch, Grassley, etc) mixed in with Senate stories. He then spent the last 7-10 minutes or so telling us stories about how much more awful Ted Cruz is to be around in person than he appears on TV.

It was really bizarre to see, but that guy is hilarious.

That is amazing.  Al Franken was fucking hilarious back in the day.  I actually thought he made a pretty good Senator.  Amazing like one fuck up on camera and he was out, but asshats like Ted Cruz and Ron Johnson, who are much more awful are still there.

• Hook 'Em 3

Total noob questions.  I’m planning on taking the family ( two adults 3 elementary aged kids) to NYC this summer.  The target is the second week of June.  

When should I book the flights for best price?  ( I’m not a seasoned air traveler). I could fly out of San Antonio or Austin, or Houston in a pinch) with kids  I would prioritize direct flights vs absolute lowest cost.

What airport should I target arriving to?   

ill have other questions but I’m just starting the planning phase.  

31 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Total noob questions.  I’m planning on taking the family ( two adults 3 elementary aged kids) to NYC this summer.  The target is the second week of June.  

When should I book the flights for best price?  ( I’m not a seasoned air traveler). I could fly out of San Antonio or Austin, or Houston in a pinch) with kids  I would prioritize direct flights vs absolute lowest cost.

Where are you staying? If in or around midtown Manhattan, LGA is your best best. Avoid JFK all else being equal because it’s so far away. If you are staying on the west side of Manhattan and prefer United, EWR may make sense (that is the airport I always use, and I live in downtown Manhattan on the west side).

I don’t know the answer on the timing of flight booking.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

You posted this today, and asking about a trip the second week in June. Can you time travel? I haz confused. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Where are you staying?

This was gonna be my next question.  The plan is to do regular touristy shit.  History museum,  9/11 memorial, Statue of Liberty, observation deck of some big ass building.  
I have the idea in my head of going out by myself after the kids are asleep and maybe checking out a comedy club or something. 

This was gonna be my next question.  The plan is to do regular touristy shit.  History museum,  9/11 memorial, Statue of Liberty, observation deck of some big ass building.  
I have the idea in my head of going out by myself after the kids are asleep and maybe checking out a comedy club or something. 
I'd stay in Soho or Midtown. I like the Bryant Park Hotel, the Gramercy Park Hotel, and the W Union Square.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Can't remember what it's called now.  But stayed at a W property (it changed, obviously) in Murray Hill off Lexington (also, obviously).  Wife and I got magically upgraded to the rooftop/balcony suite looking uptown at the Chrysler building (my favorite building from when my father lived in Manhattan in the 90's).  Anyway, I'm there on business right after we get married, and we also happen to be up the street from where the Longhorn basketball team is staying.  We saw them outside their hotel one night (it was one of those MSG tournaments---Michigan State, Saint John's, and I can't remember the fourth team---only that Abrams lit the court up and we got hammered).  It's November, but one evening was quite pleasant weather-wise and we're sitting outside looking at the Chrysler building, and we hear screaming from the adjacent suite.  Passed out a couple hours later.  Next morning, we're packing and heading down to check out.  NYPD's finest is rolling out a corpse, there's blood inside the room, and cops holding us back.  Murder happened next to our room overnight.  That and my father being mugged twice while living there is actually the only crime I've ever seen in that massive city on dozens of visits.  Penelope Witherspoon would be right pleased to know that I only stay at my cousin's place nowadays at 59th & 5th.  

My point?  Be absolutely sure to hit Bubba Gump Shrimpy Company in Times Square while you're in town.