Tell me about New York City

On 8/31/2021 at 12:02 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Where are you staying? If in or around midtown Manhattan, LGA is your best best. Avoid JFK all else being equal because it’s so far away. If you are staying on the west side of Manhattan and prefer United, EWR may make sense (that is the airport I always use, and I live in downtown Manhattan on the west side).

I don’t know the answer on the timing of flight booking.

AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica and then LIRR to Penn. 

LGA and EWR are better if you plan to Uber. 

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica and then LIRR to Penn. 

LGA and EWR are better if you plan to Uber. 

I don't disagree on the convenience and speed of the LIRR option (particularly if on the west side of Manhattan), but dragging a wife and two kids + luggage from JFK>>AirTran>>LIRR>>Penn>>hotel after a 4 hour flight sounds like a shit way to start a vacation, particularly when 4 LIRR/Airtran tickets probably only saves like $10 vs a cab from LGA. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 1:16 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I can book flights now or the day before we go.  But prices fluctuate right?  Is there a time of year where flights are normally cheaper? 
It’s kind of an odd question I guess.  

Yes, prices fluctuate.  No, there's no time of year prices are cheaper.

Price fluctuations are due to tons of factors--economy in general, current events, fuel prices, etc.--and aren't predictable.  Just keep an eye on them/set up an alert for your dates, and book when they go below a certain price.  As a very overly generalized rule, prices can be best a few weeks or maybe a month or two out----if you're booking very early the airline has little incentive to try and get rid of "extra" seats, and last second is usually very expensive

• Hook 'Em 1

Going in mid October for a quick weekend trip w the wife.  Really good recs in this thread so I won’t ask for dinner but any suggestions for grabbing a good slice of pizza mid Saturday? And also a spot for day drinking Saturday afternoon - with football as playoff baseball on TV (doesn’t have to be strictly a sports bar)?  Staying at the Public hotel in Soho.

9 hours ago, htown85 said:

Going in mid October for a quick weekend trip w the wife.  Really good recs in this thread so I won’t ask for dinner but any suggestions for grabbing a good slice of pizza mid Saturday? And also a spot for day drinking Saturday afternoon - with football as playoff baseball on TV (doesn’t have to be strictly a sports bar)?  Staying at the Public hotel in Soho.

I like to day drink at Dante (the og, not West Village, if I start early) or Katana Kitten (they open at 2 on Saturday), but neither have TVs.  However, definitely pop into Katana Kitten.  It is my favorite bar in NYC at the moment.  Have had some great times there.

Here is a list of craft beer bars, but you would need to call to see if they have TVs.  

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-beer-bars-nyc

And here is another day drinking guide. 

https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york/guides/best-bars-day-drinking-nyc

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Headed to NYC tomorrow for Saturday night wedding, where we probably don't eat before 8:30-9:00 PM.  Any last minute suggestions for a nice lunch on Saturday?  Probably want to stay between Central Park South and Village/SOHO area.  Budget is around $100-$125 per person.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Tonesky said:

Headed to NYC tomorrow for Saturday night wedding, where we probably don't eat before 8:30-9:00 PM.  Any last minute suggestions for a nice lunch on Saturday?  Probably want to stay between Central Park South and Village/SOHO area.  Budget is around $100-$125 per person.  Thanks.

How big is your party?  

Via Carota, but they do not do reservations.  You might have to wait, but I would highly recommend Via Carota.  You can go early, get your name on the list, and have drinks at Bar Pisellino.

Frenchette, which is still one of my favorite places, is just south of Soho in Tribeca.  Reservations are possible, but you can most likely just walk in.

Rezdora does lunch on the weekends.  I have had good meals there (both at the restaurant and as take out during shut down).  

Sushi Nakazawa does lunch at its sushi counter.

Gramercy Tavern does lunch on the weekend. 

That is just to start.  There are tons more places, but those would be on my to do list coming into town.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tonesky said:

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

How big is your party?  

Via Carota, but they do not do reservations.  You might have to wait, but I would highly recommend Via Carota.  You can go early, get your name on the list, and have drinks at Bar Pisellino.

Frenchette, which is still one of my favorite places, is just south of Soho in Tribeca.  Reservations are possible, but you can most likely just walk in.

Rezdora does lunch on the weekends.  I have had good meals there (both at the restaurant and as take out during shut down).  

Sushi Nakazawa does lunch at its sushi counter.

Gramercy Tavern does lunch on the weekend. 

That is just to start.  There are tons more places, but those would be on my to do list coming into town.  

Thanks. It was three, but now it looks like it may just be me. I am happy to sit at a bar. And, I’ll increase the budget as needed.  Know anything about Sushi Ginza Onodera, which seems to have lunch omokase options?

7 hours ago, Tonesky said:

Thanks. It was three, but now it looks like it may just be me. I am happy to sit at a bar. And, I’ll increase the budget as needed.  Know anything about Sushi Ginza Onodera, which seems to have lunch omokase options?

It's excellent, and I would definitely recommend it.  However, they don't allow corkage (if that matters to you).

On 9/17/2021 at 8:43 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

How big is your party?  

Had an exceptional lunch at Via Carota - ‘nduja arancini, tonnarelli cacio pepe, and crostata. 

Thanks PW!

960305FF-94F1-4471-B82A-1F0EFD367B98.jpeg

BD66939F-4CF8-4568-B474-E905A737F4E6.jpeg

C8A41860-46D9-4098-9121-7AAEAE304C2A.jpeg

A6B27E22-2DDC-4D1F-B582-4292752AA2CA.jpeg

4A9B5DAD-6A48-4E61-90B4-297B247BC1A1.jpeg

C64D418A-0EA9-4191-8474-FEA18461A679.jpeg

F558868F-B6B5-4F05-9BAE-F0C325738836.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

Had an exceptional lunch at Via Carota - ‘nduja arancini, tonnarelli cacio pepe, and crostata. 

Thanks PW!

960305FF-94F1-4471-B82A-1F0EFD367B98.jpeg

BD66939F-4CF8-4568-B474-E905A737F4E6.jpeg

C8A41860-46D9-4098-9121-7AAEAE304C2A.jpeg

A6B27E22-2DDC-4D1F-B582-4292752AA2CA.jpeg

4A9B5DAD-6A48-4E61-90B4-297B247BC1A1.jpeg

C64D418A-0EA9-4191-8474-FEA18461A679.jpeg

F558868F-B6B5-4F05-9BAE-F0C325738836.jpeg

My man. Best restaurant in the city.

Took father in law to David Bryne’s American Utopia last night. It was awesome. Watching all those old nerds dance with each other was touching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

You guys fans of LIC?  That could be a landing spot for me.

I went to Casa Enrique there yesterday (Michelin Star Mexican, no reservations allowed).  LIC is right across the river from me.  It is one stop into Grand Central.  There are a lot of really nice developments over there.  I want to explore it a bit more.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

My man. Best restaurant in the city.

Took father in law to David Bryne’s American Utopia last night. It was awesome. Watching all those old nerds dance with each other was touching. 

Those are bold words.  Best restaurant in the city.  Definitely one of the best, but I would not say the absolute best, but we are just splitting hairs.  

We have tickets to Hamilton on Tuesday.  Then I am seeing Jim Jeffries on Thursday, then the next Wednesday (the 29th), it is the Lehman Trilogy.

Going to be a busy two weeks.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:41 PM, b_p said:

@PenelopeWitherspoon

I'm planning an October trip and looking at some new restaurants I haven't yet tried.  Any chance you've been to any of these...

Atomix

Uchu

Yasada

Odo

Tempura Matsui

Cote

I have not been to Atomix, but I have been to Atoboy (Atomix is the follow up to Atoboy), which is absolutely outstanding.  

Yasada, do you mean Yasuda?  If you do, I have been there.  It was fantastic.  

I have not been to Cote, but have heard good things, though I also heard some bad things from my friend, who I absolutely trust.  Basically, she believes Cote is overpriced and there are better places that are similar.  Others here have had good experiences though.  

Uchu is on my list.  It is right down the street from my nail salon that I prefer on the LES.  Odo and Tempura Matsui also on my list.  Honestly, it is really hard to make it through all the places here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Thinking of possibly taking my wife to NYC in November for our wedding anniversary.  Any recs on what part of town I should look for a hotel assuming we are going to do some touristy stuff like Broadway, museums, etc...?  Best restaurants we should hit up especially on the night of our anniversary would be great also.  It will be a quick trip arriving Tuesday late afternoon and leaving Friday morning so just need to fill up 2 days worth of stuff.

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Thinking of possibly taking my wife to NYC in November for our wedding anniversary.  Any recs on what part of town I should look for a hotel assuming we are going to do some touristy stuff like Broadway, museums, etc...?  Best restaurants we should hit up especially on the night of our anniversary would be great also.  It will be a quick trip arriving Tuesday late afternoon and leaving Friday morning so just need to fill up 2 days worth of stuff.

I would stay in Midtown, maybe the Bryant Park Hotel, because that puts you right in the center of the city.  If you want to splurge, might look at the Plaza or the Pierre.  

As for restaurants, any particular cuisines you love or want to stay away from?  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would stay in Midtown, maybe the Bryant Park Hotel, because that puts you right in the center of the city.  If you want to splurge, might look at the Plaza or the Pierre.  

As for restaurants, any particular cuisines you love or want to stay away from?  

Pretty open to cuisine.  I’m the foodie, she is not.  

2 hours ago, htown85 said:

How does proof of vaccination work for restaurants? Can I show a picture of my vaccine card next to my drivers license or do they want the actual vaccine card? Not crazy about traveling with it bc I am bound to lose it.

I think picture is fine.  Also, you could sign up for clear and show your proof of vaccine that way.  NYC also has an app, and all you do is load a photo of your CDC card.

• Like 1

Went to Kochi last night.  It was really, really good.  Definitely different.  

We went there because we had tickets to Hamilton.  I last went to a Broadway show on August 22, 2015.  I saw Hamilton a mere 16 days after it moved to Broadway.  Honestly, I was expecting the cast last night to pale in comparison, and while they were different, on the whole, it was not much of a drop off from that original cast.  In other words, the current cast is very, very good, and I highly recommend catching this in NYC if you have not seen it.  It was as moving and entertaining last night as it was the first time I saw it.  It might have been even more so last night given what has gone on over the last year and a half.  

Have tickets to Jim Jeffries tomorrow (can you tell one of my closes friends is an Aussie?) and the Lehman Trilogy next Wednesday.  

29 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Went to Kochi last night.  It was really, really good.  Definitely different.  

We went there because we had tickets to Hamilton.  I last went to a Broadway show on August 22, 2015.  I saw Hamilton a mere 16 days after it moved to Broadway.  Honestly, I was expecting the cast last night to pale in comparison, and while they were different, on the whole, it was not much of a drop off from that original cast.  In other words, the current cast is very, very good, and I highly recommend catching this in NYC if you have not seen it.  It was as moving and entertaining last night as it was the first time I saw it.  It might have been even more so last night given what has gone on over the last year and a half.  

Have tickets to Jim Jeffries tomorrow (can you tell one of my closes friends is an Aussie?) and the Lehman Trilogy next Wednesday.  

chris farley what the fuck GIF

Seriously? Go see Come From Away Friday and Hadestown Saturday. Do it for me. And our future trip to Moscow. 🙃

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

chris farley what the fuck GIF

Seriously? Go see Come From Away Friday and Hadestown Saturday. Do it for me. And our future trip to Moscow. 🙃

Well, the last one before last night.  

Remember, I moved back up here in August of 2019.  I was traveling a lot for work and just didn't get around to going in that 7 months before COVID hit.  Then COVID hit.  So for the last 18 months, no Broadway.  Will be making up time this Spring.  

On my list to see are Hadestown, Moulin Rouge, Six, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Diana.  Six and Diana, my friend worked on the costumes.

Obviously, I want to see the Music Man.  Still looking at the list and decided what else to see.  There are some things at the Public I am interested in.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any NYC surliites been successful in getting the rabbit at Dhamka?  Anyone interested in trying?!?  That rabbit sounds like something absolutely amazing.

I’ve heard they’ve been selling out of items relatively quickly. Everyone I know has been raving about the goat neck biryani. Place looks very colorful and cool inside (from friends’ pics).

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, the last one before last night.  

Remember, I moved back up here in August of 2019.  I was traveling a lot for work and just didn't get around to going in that 7 months before COVID hit.  Then COVID hit.  So for the last 18 months, no Broadway.  Will be making up time this Spring.  

On my list to see are Hadestown, Moulin Rouge, Six, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Diana.  Six and Diana, my friend worked on the costumes.

Obviously, I want to see the Music Man.  Still looking at the list and decided what else to see.  There are some things at the Public I am interested in.

Going to Kochi next month.  Did you do the 6 or 9 course, and would you have picked the other based on your experience with the one you went with?  Also, did you do the Sool pairing, and if so, do you think it was worth it over bringing a couple of bottles?

Edited by b_p
sorry quoted the wrong post but close enough

On 9/22/2021 at 7:17 AM, htown85 said:

How does proof of vaccination work for restaurants? Can I show a picture of my vaccine card next to my drivers license or do they want the actual vaccine card? Not crazy about traveling with it bc I am bound to lose it.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:48 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I think picture is fine.  Also, you could sign up for clear and show your proof of vaccine that way.  NYC also has an app, and all you do is load a photo of your CDC card.

All this.  Showing the docs or images of the docs is fine.  The app is "NYC Covid Safe."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2021 at 4:54 AM, b_p said:

Going to Kochi next month.  Did you do the 6 or 9 course, and would you have picked the other based on your experience with the one you went with?  Also, did you do the Sool pairing, and if so, do you think it was worth it over bringing a couple of bottles?

Didn't do the Sool pairing.  We were going to Broadway after, so just had one glass of Sool and then a glass of wine.  

We did the Signature, which is the 9. The only thing on the shorter menu that was significantly different was the shrimp, and I would have loved to have a chance at that.  All in all, it was a very good meal and I am glad I have been.  I had been wanting to try it for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, Stunns38 said:

Sushi Nonaka is completely underrated.  I highly recommend it. 

Blume turns into Hutte in the winter, but right now, they are doing Oktoberfest (through the end of October).  We are headed there on Friday.  They have beers from Weihenstephan.  I cannot wait!

I can also recommend Olmsted. The rest, I have yet to go to, but some of those are already on my list.  Honestly, we are getting into amazing outdoor weather now.  It is cooling down at night into the upper 50's/Low 60's.  The next 6 weeks are my favorite time of year in NYC.  

• Like 1

Alright, so on tap this week...

Wednesday night - Lehman Trilogy.  

Friday night - Schaller & Weber's Oktoberfest

Saturday night - Heading out to Elmhurst to see all the Thai places along Woodside Avenue.  

So, relatively tame week.  

Honestly, at this point, there is just way too much to do in the city.  It is amazing.  

@Reynolds Woodcock, where was it you went that Al Franken stopped in?  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Saturday night - Heading out to Elmhurst to see all the Thai places along Woodside Avenue.  

Honestly, at this point, there is just way too much to do in the city.  It is amazing.  

Lehman Trilogy is an epic production. It’s very smartly edited - you’ll know what I mean. Knowing a bit about your business-ness, methinks it hits home hard like it did for me.  

We might come in for thanksgiving. If so I’ll holler. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 8:37 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Comedy Cellar. I think he’s been around there and and Union Hall in Brooklyn.

Did the omakase at Shuko over the weekend. It was awesome and had a great atmosphere (more NYC than Tokyo sushi bar), but IMHO it hits the wallet a little too hard given the number of good omakase options in the city.

Cool.  I was telling someone about the Al Franken drop in, and we thought it might be Comedy Cellar.  Goign to have to start going there sometimes.  

I was looking at additional Broadway shows.  Wanted to see Six, but not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for decent seats, but will keep looking.  Will go see Moulin Rouge.  The tickets are quite reasonable.  

Happy to hear about the Broadway revival of Thornton Wilder's The Skin of our Teeth.  Wish there was some Stoppard that would be coming soon.

15 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Cool.  I was telling someone about the Al Franken drop in, and we thought it might be Comedy Cellar.  Goign to have to start going there sometimes.  

I was looking at additional Broadway shows.  Wanted to see Six, but not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for decent seats, but will keep looking.  Will go see Moulin Rouge.  The tickets are quite reasonable.  

Happy to hear about the Broadway revival of Thornton Wilder's The Skin of our Teeth.  Wish there was some Stoppard that would be coming soon.

See Six. Skip a fancy dinner that weekend to make up the cost.

Go see Caroline, Or Change too. And Hadestown. And Come From Away. 

Fuck see them ALL. (Moulin Rouge is meh at best fwiw)