Tell me about New York City

Well, the cold front has moved in and it FINALLY feels like mid-November.  I am headed to dinner at One White Street here shortly. Get to actually wear a coat!

The holiday stuff is all ramping up hard core now.  The Rockefeller tree arrived today.  Christmas decorations are starting to come out.  Saks will unveil its windows on November 23.  Not sure when the others are revealed.

• Fuck You 2

On 11/14/2021 at 12:50 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Great dinner at One White Street. Love that place.

At Katana Kitten. I've gotten lots of free drinks. It's nuts tonight.

Obviously, @Johnny Sack hates One White Street or Katana Kitten, or is completely obsessed with me and I am living rent free in his head.  What a pathetic loser like his idol.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

On 11/14/2021 at 12:50 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Great dinner at One White Street. Love that place.

At Katana Kitten. I've gotten lots of free drinks. It's nuts tonight.

Ended up at Rudy's then at someone's house for more drinks.  Got home at 6:08 AM.  Haven't had a night like that since December 2019.  Amazed I was not hung over on Sunday.  Actually felt alright yesterday, just really tired.  Still not fully caught up on sleep.

For those that are unaware, New York bars shut down at 4 (some close earlier, but legally they are required to close at 4), but there are legal after hours bars.  I am not sure if any of them have reopened.  A lot of bars still aren't open until 4 just yet.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:36 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Raoul's has been booked solid.  I have been wanting to go.  It is incredibly popular.  

You can order their Steak kits for cooking at home. I love it there and I really miss the old backroom through the kitchen.....the good old days

• Hook 'Em 3

We'll be there Dec. 26-30 with our boys, ages 13 and 9. Staying in Midtown. We've been to NYC a few times but the last time was 2010 and we've never been with kids. We have some ideas of things to do, but are definitely open to suggestions, especially to less touristy things. Would also love ideas for places to eat that can accommodate fairly adventurous adult palates as well as kids who are willing to try new things but aren't quite as adventurous. My oldest is a big 30 Rock fan so of course he wants to see the tree at Rockefeller Center and try ice skating, and possibly do the NBC studio tour. Both kids want to visit FAO Schwartz and the 9/11 memorial, see the top of the Empire State Building, etc. I definitely want to check out that bookstore someone mentioned above - Argosy, I think? I could make an entire vacation out of finding gold-mine bookstores.

11 hours ago, midtown said:

Going back the same week with my kids.  Thankfully they are vaccinated because the bars and restaurants in NYC aint messing around with the proof.   I was asked for it without fail

Just posted in the Covid thread about this since the wife and I were in NYC all last week.  You def need to show ID and vaccine card everywhere.  Restaurants, museums, broadway musicals, stores, you name it.  Wasn’t a big deal and made us feel safer so all good.  

We had a great time in the city doing all the touristy stuff like the Empire State Building, 911 memorial, walking Central Park and hitting a few art museums like The MOMA and The Whitney.  Also walked the High Line, Little Island and that area which was pretty cool.  For food, we didn’t do anything that great as the wife is not a “foodie” and we stayed close to Midtown for meals since we had Broadway tickets on a few nights.  A few of the places we ate that were pretty good were Ai Fiori for our anniversary.  Food was pretty good but didn’t blow me away.  I had a lobster dish that they are know for and it wasn’t all that.  The pasta we had as a starter was fantastic though.  Hit Becco (Chef Lydia’s Italian place) one night before a show and it was good and also went to Five Napkin Burger before a show and that also was good.  Didn’t do the traditional NY Pizza but grabbed a quick lunch at Don Antonio (it was on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives) and the Pizza was really good.  Neapolitan style but the pistachio pesto and sausage pizza was quite tasty.  Also hit Katz’s Deli for lunch for a pastrami sandwich just to say we did it and it was also pretty good.  I have no desire to live in NYC but do love visiting once or twice a year as it is a cool place even though I have to look at Yankees/Jets/Giants shit everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, midtown said:

Going back the same week with my kids.  Thankfully they are vaccinated because the bars and restaurants in NYC aint messing around with the proof.   I was asked for it without fail

Oh, excellent point - I hadn't thought of that. My 9-yo got his first shot last week and will get his second Nov 29, so we should all be good to go by the end of December.

• Hook 'Em 1

@PenelopeWitherspoonor someone else-I need dinner reservations or recommendations for Friday-Saturday Dec  3rd-4th, midtown ideally (Staying at Lotte, go Gossip Girl apparently).  This is my first trip to NYC and budget isn’t really a consideration.  Resy and the online food guides are a little overwhelming by number of options.  

Any suggestions aside from those you’ve mentioned since October?

On 11/15/2021 at 10:59 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ended up at Rudy's then at someone's house for more drinks.  Got home at 6:08 AM.  Haven't had a night like that since December 2019.  Amazed I was not hung over on Sunday.  Actually felt alright yesterday, just really tired.  Still not fully caught up on sleep.

For those that are unaware, New York bars shut down at 4 (some close earlier, but legally they are required to close at 4), but there are legal after hours bars.  I am not sure if any of them have reopened.  A lot of bars still aren't open until 4 just yet.

The lack of late night stuff is really annoying; I hope it eventually comes back in full force. Last night I got out of DUNE at midnight, and it felt like every restaurant closed at 11. Ended up just stopping by Katana Kitten on the way home for a mortadella katsu and boilermaker (which was a tasty snack, but I miss the days of Buvette at 1am). 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, LCHorn said:

@PenelopeWitherspoonor someone else-I need dinner reservations or recommendations for Friday-Saturday Dec  3rd-4th, midtown ideally (Staying at Lotte, go Gossip Girl apparently).  This is my first trip to NYC and budget isn’t really a consideration.  Resy and the online food guides are a little overwhelming by number of options.  

Any suggestions aside from those you’ve mentioned since October?

If you want to stay in Midtown, here are my recommendations:

Le Bernardin.  It’s one of the, if not the, best restaurants in NYC.  
Gramercy Tavern.  It’s in Flatiron, but really good.  Eat at the Tavern.

Hutong.  They have solid food and the space is stunning.

Gabriel Kreuther.  I really like this place.  It is right across from Bryant Park.  It’s very beautiful inside.

PJ Clark’s.  This is my old standby.  Solid burger, great bartenders, good oysters.

Almost any NYC steakhouse.  They are all in midtown.  Sparks, Smith and Wollensky, BLT, Keens…etc….

8 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

And what's the best bagels in Midtown near Grand Central?

Not the best spot for bagels, but if you are really stuck around grand central, Ess A is definitely the most classic in that general area. If you can take the train up to H&H or down to Russ and Daughters, even better.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:58 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I like to day drink at Dante (the og, not West Village, if I start early) or Katana Kitten (they open at 2 on Saturday), but neither have TVs.  However, definitely pop into Katana Kitten.  It is my favorite bar in NYC at the moment.  Have had some great times there.

Here is a list of craft beer bars, but you would need to call to see if they have TVs.  

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-beer-bars-nyc

And here is another day drinking guide. 

https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york/guides/best-bars-day-drinking-nyc

I hit up Katana Kitten with some friends visiting from Houston earlier this week, was awesome! I had the toki highball and our group enjoyed the music, service and overall vibe. Anyone tried Employees Only? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, QuesoEspecial said:

I hit up Katana Kitten with some friends visiting from Houston earlier this week, was awesome! I had the toki highball and our group enjoyed the music, service and overall vibe. Anyone tried Employees Only? 

It’s ok. In the old days it would be described as B&T, which now mostly just means it’s filled with Jersey crews and tourists. Their cocktails are pretty good, I just wouldn’t go out of your way, especially with KK, Dante and others close by.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

If you want to stay in Midtown, here are my recommendations:

Le Bernardin.  It’s one of the, if not the, best restaurants in NYC.  
Gramercy Tavern.  It’s in Flatiron, but really good.  Eat at the Tavern.

Hutong.  They have solid food and the space is stunning.

Gabriel Kreuther.  I really like this place.  It is right across from Bryant Park.  It’s very beautiful inside.

PJ Clark’s.  This is my old standby.  Solid burger, great bartenders, good oysters.

Almost any NYC steakhouse.  They are all in midtown.  Sparks, Smith and Wollensky, BLT, Keens…etc….

Usually SoHo in summer and midtown for holidays.  Just checked in to Whitby Hotel.  Holy shit.  Blown away.  Love Crosby St hotel it’s sister property so gave this a shot.  

Can already say ‘Highly recommended’ after just checking in.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, NIUHuskies said:

And what's the best bagels in Midtown near Grand Central?

I had some pretty good bagels at Zuckers bagels and Smoked Fish a few blocks from Grand Central a few weeks  ago even though they messed my order up (they forgot to add onion and cucumber) but the bagel and lox was pretty good.  I thought Black Seed bagels at 30 Rock sucked.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

did you just take an upskirt pic?

Absofuckinglutely.  I climbed the 215 steps up to the pedestal after I put my folks in the elevator.  I think I deserved the upskirt shot.  

Honestly, the climb isn't THAT bad.  When I was alone in the stairwell, which was 95% of the time, I pulled my mask down.  I am good wearing masks, but not while exercising, and climbing 215 steps is definitely exercising.  I definitely recommend it.  Also, going back down, you get to go around the lower levels of the pedestal and the top of Fort Wood (and get to see what has been excavated around Fort Wood).

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon