Tell me about New York City

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That is from my office.  Our main conference room overlooks 6th, so we were there.

Ahhh ok that makes sense - couldn’t place a hotel in that spot precisely. 

Next year can I pay you to watch it from there? We had a spot uptown but our friends office moved to Hudson Yards (sidenote fuck that area). 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Next year can I pay you to watch it from there? We had a spot uptown but our friends office moved to Hudson Yards (sidenote fuck that area). 

Sounds like we need a Surly parade watching party

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

No need to pay.  We just get everyone on the list and show up.  This year, I brought juice and pastries.  Other friends of mine brought donuts and the bubbles.  I would say if we did this next year, we just have a list of what everyone brings.  It was a lot of fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We are there pretty often - wife was a Rangerette and they perform a lot there. But I refuse to stand in a 6 person deep line in the cold to watch a parade. 

This.  It was great where we were.  We could see the people 25 deep.  Screw that.  In the cushy conference room chairs was MUCH better.  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This.  It was great where we were.  We could see the people 25 deep.  Screw that.  In the cushy conference room chairs was MUCH better.  

Damn--we should've hit y'all up.  We were up there last week.  We took a pass on the parade, but cruised along Central Park West on Wednesday to see some of the balloons being inflated.

By the way, we did the Blade helicopter from the 30th Street heliport to JFK on Saturday, and it was great.  We did the AA add-on to speed us through the security lines (something called "American Five-Star Service").  So from the Blade lounge in Midtown to the AAdmirals Club at JFK was 35 minutes, which was pretty fucking awesome the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Damn--we should've hit y'all up.  We were up there last week.  We took a pass on the parade, but cruised along Central Park West on Wednesday to see some of the balloons being inflated.

By the way, we did the Blade helicopter from the 30th Street heliport to JFK on Saturday, and it was great.  We did the AA add-on to speed us through the security lines (something called "American Five-Star Service").  So from the Blade lounge in Midtown to the AAdmirals Club at JFK was 35 minutes, which was pretty fucking awesome the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

You definitely should have!  

42 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The one thing I do have information for is where dinner is tomorrow night - Patrizias, looks like a standard fare Italian place (I didn't pick it). Any thoughts?

Local chain, though they have also expanded to Florida.  Not a place that is on my radar, and not a place I would pick.  But that is all I can say since I have never heard of it or been.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Local chain, though they have also expanded to Florida.  Not a place that is on my radar, and not a place I would pick.  But that is all I can say since I have never heard of it or been.

Not shocking, I wasn't expecting much when I saw the name pop up.

So I'm staying at The Hotel @ Fifth Avenue (17 West 32nd St). Anything in the area (besides the Empire State Building) that I should check out?

On 12/1/2021 at 1:04 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Someone’s birthday was here. Just don’t. EVER. 

And our reservation was at 7:30, I’m already saying that. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Someone’s birthday was here. Just don’t. EVER. 

And our reservation was at 7:30, I’m already saying that. 

Thanks for that heads up.  We will be in NYC 11-15 staying at The Hotel in Times Square.  Having never been, I am looking forward to seeing the city at Christmas, the Rockettes, and To Kill a Mockingbird with Jeff Daniels. 

Next year, I’ll have to contact everyone around Thanksgiving.  
Hello internet stanger friend, how you doing? Let's meet up next year and get funky at your parade watching paradise. Lmk what you want us to bring, no idea where we will be staying, probably midtown. Depends on a wedding that's still not planned fully less than a year out, how gauche.
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Just got back from nyc. Feel like I’ve aged 5 years.  The people are about what you’d expect compared to other regions.  One lady tried to cut in line and I wasn’t having it

A lot of the people in the city right now do not live in NYC.  Just saying.  While NYC at Christmas is a beautiful time of year, it is also a fucking beating.  We want you all to go the fuck home.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea that’s a no from me dawg

But didn't you say you just got back from NYC?  So, you have indeed, gone the fuck home.  

We have a serious love hate relationship with the tourists.  I love to see them back spending their money.  It is good for the city.  I absolutely hate the inconvenience.

I get my shoes repaired at 30 Rock.  It is 2 blocks from my office.  Recently, I was dropping off 3 pairs of shoes, so instead of schlepping to the bus/subway, I jumped in a cab.  It is one mile.  It took an hour because of all the road closures for, you guessed it, tourism.  Fun times.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

But didn't you say you just got back from NYC?  So, you have indeed, gone the fuck home.  

We have a serious love hate relationship with the tourists.  I love to see them back spending their money.  It is good for the city.  I absolutely hate the inconvenience.

I get my shoes repaired at 30 Rock.  It is 2 blocks from my office.  Recently, I was dropping off 3 pairs of shoes, so instead of schlepping to the bus/subway, I jumped in a cab.  It is one mile.  It took an hour because of all the road closures for, you guessed it, tourism.  Fun times.

Coming back just out of spite

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I need to do a full recap of my trip, or at least the dining part of it, but in response to @closetohumping’s point, I was really surprised that New Yorkers were mostly pretty nice and friendly.  Agree that midtown near Rockefeller certain is madness but it’s not worse than the crowd exiting DKR and the tourists were a lot more congenial than our fans after the Kansas loss.  

55 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I need to do a full recap of my trip, or at least the dining part of it, but in response to @closetohumping’s point, I was really surprised that New Yorkers were mostly pretty nice and friendly.  Agree that midtown near Rockefeller certain is madness but it’s not worse than the crowd exiting DKR and the tourists were a lot more congenial than our fans after the Kansas loss.  

New Yorkers have always gotten a bad reputation for being rude, or surly as it were.  Seriously though, I think a lot of that impression is becuase they walk very fast to get where they are going and tend not to use pleasantries if they bump into you.  To be fair, if you are standing in the middle of the sidewalk, lost, looking at your phone, you are at fault, not them.  However, if you post up at a bar and chat with one, they are actually really nice.  

I also think New York is a bit friendlier at the moment due to the pandemic.  Being here during April of last year took its toll on EVERYONE.  I have noticed a kinder, gentler NYC since last summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

New Yorkers have always gotten a bad reputation for being rude, or surly as it were.  Seriously though, I think a lot of that impression is becuase they walk very fast to get where they are going and tend not to use pleasantries if they bump into you.  To be fair, if you are standing in the middle of the sidewalk, lost, looking at your phone, you are at fault, not them.  However, if you post up at a bar and chat with one, they are actually really nice.  

I also think New York is a bit friendlier at the moment due to the pandemic.  Being here during April of last year took its toll on EVERYONE.  I have noticed a kinder, gentler NYC since last summer.

People the world over don’t like obnoxious tourists. Lots of Americans just happen to be obnoxious tourists. 

You can go almost anywhere and get along with the people if you have a modicum of self-awareness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rudiger said:

People the world over don’t like obnoxious tourists. Lots of Americans just happen to be obnoxious tourists. 

You can go almost anywhere and get along with the people if you have a modicum of self-awareness. 

This is very accurate.  When I am in Paris and London, I can spot Americans from a mile away.  I am very lucky in that I know how to blend in very well.  I know in London, people are shocked to hear me speak with an American accent.  And in Paris, they are surprised when I have exhausted the little French I have in my repertoire that I speak English with an American accent.  

When I am planning a trip, I absolutely research the customs, the fashion, etc... of where I am going.  I want to blend in and experience those places as a native more than as a tourist.  Or at least, that is what I do in Europe.  I have yet to move beyond that continent for big trips, and I am sure it will be vastly different as I had to Egypt, Thailand, and Morocco over the next few years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/7/2021 at 4:07 PM, LCHorn said:

On 12/7/2021 at 5:06 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

As a whole this is fairly true for much of the Northeast, not just NYC. I certainly won't deny coming up here (Boston) from Austin, I was had my preconceived notions of the "big, bad, scary cities" like Boston and NYC. But once I got here, I have found most of that to just not be true at all.

No doubt, this isn't Texas with it's super, maybe over the top, niceness. But people certainly aren't rude. You kindly wave someone down to ask for directions, they will stop and tell you. You chat someone up at a bar, they are going to be really nice.

This area is just fast. People have places to get and little time to waste getting there. Penelope is right, you get bumped, you likely aren't going to get some heartfelt apology. You MIGHT get a "Sorry!" shouted back to you as they run off, but that's about it. But that's just how it is here, no time to waste. The easy slow pace of Texas isn't a thing here (this could also be why I find driving in Texas SUPER easy compared to here now).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

As a whole this is fairly true for much of the Northeast, not just NYC. I certainly won't deny coming up here (Boston) from Austin, I was had my preconceived notions of the "big, bad, scary cities" like Boston and NYC. But once I got here, I have found most of that to just not be true at all.

No doubt, this isn't Texas with it's super, maybe over the top, niceness. But people certainly aren't rude. You kindly wave someone down to ask for directions, they will stop and tell you. You chat someone up at a bar, they are going to be really nice.

This area is just fast. People have places to get and little time to waste getting there. Penelope is right, you get bumped, you likely aren't going to get some heartfelt apology. You MIGHT get a "Sorry!" shouted back to you as they run off, but that's about it. But that's just how it is here, no time to waste. The easy slow pace of Texas isn't a thing here (this could also be why I find driving in Texas SUPER easy compared to here now).

Lol.  Look I know Penelope isn’t talking directly to me but i understand this is the part where northeasterners like to clown people who haven’t lived up there.     I live in California now but did live in dc and Boston for several years.  I’m not a flyover rube who’s sensitive.   Had a great time in nyc had a couple of moments that weren’t great but once I flashed my crazy eyes things were a-ok

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Lol.  Look I know Penelope isn’t talking directly to me but i understand this is the part where northeasterners like to clown people who haven’t lived up there.     I live in California now but did live in dc and Boston for several years.  I’m not a flyover rube who’s sensitive.   Had a great time in nyc had a couple of moments that weren’t great but once I flashed my crazy eyes things were a-ok

crazy eyes GIF

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Well apparently today is SantaCon.  I feel sorry for anyone in the city.  It used to be a few hundred now it's thousands and mostly B&T

Yep.  For those that aren’t in the know, B&T means bridge and tunnel, and that is generally referring to those who live outside the subway system, like portions of LI, Staten Island, and Jersey.

We will be trying to avoid it like the plague.

• Fuck You 1

Yep.  For those that aren’t in the know, B&T means bridge and tunnel, and that is generally referring to those who live outside the subway system, like portions of LI, Staten Island, and Jersey.

I would advise you to make an annual trip to B&T territory. I used to make a few B&T bar visits annually, it was fun. Bay Ridge bars were interesting, Jersey Shore was nuts, same with Long Island.

Ironically, Jersey City is less B&T than midtown/Murray Hill bar wise.

PS, you may find you a nice Irish retired FDNY guy in Woodside Queens, LOL.

On 12/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Great story that references the B&T group yesterday at Santacon.  The fight scene at the end is priceless and I can see why you avoid it like the plague as you say:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/santacon-returns-to-nyc-with-drunk-frat-bros-looking-for-sex-with-an-elf?ref=home

On 12/7/2021 at 5:06 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My first venture into NYC and I can say that you nailed it from their walking speed to being more friendly than I expected.  We had dinner at Junior's last night and walked across to the Schubert Theatre to see Jeff Daniels in To Kill a Mockingbird-what a wonderful memory to be taking home with us and planning the next visit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok, my self-isolation due to COVID will end on Christmas Eve.  Since I moved back my trip from January to May, I think I am going to do Dry January for the 1st time ever.  My birthday is January 10th, so I am allowing myself to have some wine/champagne that night, but that is it.  

So, plan is that on the 9th, I am going to see the Music Man at a matinee and then have dinner after at Semma.  No drinking on the 9th.  Then on the 10th, I am taking the day off.  So will go downtown in the AM to do one of my workout classes, then will do an early dinner.  Thinking Keens.  I have tickets to Six that night at 8 PM.  Then it is back to the grindstone for the rest of the month.