Tell me about New York City

20 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

. . . I am also hosting for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade in my office (it is on 6th Ave with the perfect perspective), but if others are in town and want to experience it, just PM me.  I will get you access. You just have to bring Champers and a breakfast dish (and show up at 7:30 LOL).

Beats the 5:30 AM call time for those who are wanting a spot at the front of the viewing area.  I went once in my late teens -- my girlfriend's marching band was in the parade -- and I froze my ass off.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Anybody got a car service you recommend? I could Google but just thought I’d ask. 

Carmel is who I use if I do not Uber.  Or I just take a Yellow Cab if the cab line is not too long.

Coming into Newark, Carmel or Uber are good.  Cabs at Newark are not consistent.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Quick impromptu trip with wife.

Going to a concert at Forest Hills Stadium next Saturday night.  Anybody have recs for early dinner in Queens near a Metro station?  Looking for nicer, date night - but not out of place in concert clothes.  Bar with good food would also work especially for pre concert drinks.

There is not a single establishment in the borough of Queens in which you will be out of place in concert clothes….

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:14 PM, PantsTent said:

I used Carmel from and to airport this summer. Nothing special but they were on time and had room for 5 of us plus 5 bags. Price was about the same as Uber but it was all taken care of in advance

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Carmel is who I use if I do not Uber.  Or I just take a Yellow Cab if the cab line is not too long.

Coming into Newark, Carmel or Uber are good.  Cabs at Newark are not consistent.

Thanks to both, booked Carmel, looking forward to the visit. Appreciate the tip. 

Lived in NYC for 10 years (LIC, Astoria, Greenpoint, Hells Kitchen, FiDi) but moved away to DFw 5 years ago. Was there regularly until the pandemic. Still have a huge network of close friends and colleagues there. Wife is a NY’er so she ultimately wants to move back there to the burbs.
I miss it too, just like Penelope, I love the 4 seasons and don’t mind the fall clouds and rain. DFW generally sucks too(no offense to the natives), got more expensive for minimal access to good natural resources. I liked DFW a ton more 20 years ago.

Going to a concert at Forest Hills Stadium next Saturday night.  Anybody have recs for early dinner in Queens near a Metro station?  Looking for nicer, date night - but not out of place in concert clothes.  Bar with good food would also work especially for pre concert drinks.

Zaab Zaab.  Near Jackson Heights- Roosevelt Ave Metro.  That’s the same line you take to Forest Hills Stadium.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Ignatius said:

There is not a single establishment in the borough of Queens in which you will be out of place in concert clothes….

Fair enough 

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Zaab Zaab.  Near Jackson Heights- Roosevelt Ave Metro.  That’s the same line you take to Forest Hills Stadium.

Danke schoen

On 9/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Huh, was just looking at booking our car service (flying in and out of Newark) -- I'll check out Carmel.

And while I toyed with the idea of suggesting meeting for a drink this weekend, I don't think I want you and my wife to meet each other.  I mean, aside from the quite likely scenario of you both agreeing that I am irresistibly charming, and elicit shenanigans ensuing, the SECOND most likely scenario of y'all commiserating on what a lousy bullshitter I am is enough to warn me off.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh, was just looking at booking our car service (flying in and out of Newark) -- I'll check out Carmel.

And while I toyed with the idea of suggesting meeting for a drink this weekend, I don't think I want you and my wife to meet each other.  I mean, aside from the quite likely scenario of you both agreeing that I am irresistibly charming, and elicit shenanigans ensuing, the SECOND most likely scenario of y'all commiserating on what a lousy bullshitter I am is enough to warn me off.

Your loss.  😆

Yeah Yeah Yeahs? I’ll be there. 

40 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs? I’ll be there. 

That’s the one. Finally bought airfare last week.

Now just need to line up lodging, tickets, and secondary child coverage ( primary thinks they may have gotten COVID last weekend).  Still waiting to pull the trigger on tickets as inventory/rain chances are increasing.

Flying in Saturday through Thursday and then a quick one nighter in Chicago for a concert for the Christmas trip we let our teenagers plan out. Not really looking forward to it at all. We’ll be the tourists running through everything like a bunch of idiots so they can see volume rather than quality, but they will enjoy it.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

She met Mrs Ace and they haven’t run away together … yet … (though Mrs Ace is quiet)

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

That’s the one. Finally bought airfare last week.

Now just need to line up lodging, tickets, and secondary child coverage ( primary thinks they may have gotten COVID last weekend).  Still waiting to pull the trigger on tickets as inventory/rain chances are increasing.

You will want to stay in Manhattan, but on the same subway line as the stadium is on.  Here are some hotels with varying costs.

Edition Times Square

Muse

Merrion Row Hotel

The Plaza

The Warwick

Loew's Regency

Bryant Park Hotel

Refinery Hotel

1 Hotel Central Park

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have no idea.  The last time I went was a Thursday, and we waited maybe 30 minutes.  

Good deal.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a Bueller/Chez Quis maitre d scene.  We are professional drinkers and don't have the consistent caloric intake requirements of small children.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Good deal.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a Bueller/Chez Quis maitre d scene.  We are professional drinkers and don't have the consistent caloric intake requirements of small children.

You can go stand by the bar and get drinks while you wait.  At least, that is what I do.  Stand in the window.  Gramercy Tavern is always a good call.

Any recs for Saturday morning activity when it’s raining? Forecast is 100% rain this Saturday…we are Red Rooster at 11 but were hoping to take a walk through Central Park prior. That’s likely out. The Met and Natural History open at 10 so not enough time to enjoy them before Red Rooster. 

Seriously? Red rooster at 11 on Saturday? Us too.

I really hope that meal is right before they leave.  He’ll put back 3 orders of deviled eggs and then hop on the plane.

We’re going to Book of Mormon after. I will commit much heresy in the theater.

Really looking forward to this one.

Tonight, it’s the full chef’s tasting menu at Aquavit. My wife is a sucker for the high-end Nordic scene.

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We’re going to Book of Mormon after. I will commit much heresy in the theater.

Really looking forward to this one.

Tonight, it’s the full chef’s tasting menu at Aquavit. My wife is a sucker for the high-end Nordic scene.

The theater might be better than hopping on a plane.  You ain’t gonna offend anyone on an airplane these days, but the theater crowd is a different story.  

1 hour ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Any recs for Saturday morning activity when it’s raining? Forecast is 100% rain this Saturday…we are Red Rooster at 11 but were hoping to take a walk through Central Park prior. That’s likely out. The Met and Natural History open at 10 so not enough time to enjoy them before Red Rooster. 

Honestly, just wear a raincoat/poncho and enjoy the park. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/23/2022 at 8:10 AM, ohchaucer said:

We love Westport. It’s kinda a big playground for grownups and an easy laid back family town. Great beaches and boating, the town tennis and golf and other facilities, leagues, etc are top notch. It’s also got a strong local vibe versus some burbs where it’s all just a pit stop in between commutes to the city.

Has a great arts and cultural community (lots of ex Broadway and arts folks live here) versus the money and snobby feeling that is pretty strong in a lot of coastal CT. And the schools are about the best in the state and that is saying something in CT.

The only issue is it’s about as far a commute as you would want to have to NYC. I go in 2-3 days a week and it’s about an hour and half door to door. Used to be quicker when I worked right by Grand Central.

Great info, thanks so much. We’re really into sailing, love the arts and both can work remotely, so that area holds a lot of appeal.

Incredibly bummed I’m apparently missing the Yeah yeah yeahs by a week. That will be a killer show.

Did the full chefs tasting menu at Aquavit….and, about 4 glasses each of Aquavit. Drank at least one Norwegian one to toast our Norwegian friends. Then a Swedish one to toast our daughter in Sweden. Then a coupla others because. As for the food, sheeeit. It’s up there with the best meals we’ve ever eaten. Price tag to match, but fuck it.

• Hook 'Em 2