Tell me about New York City

11 hours ago, sidis said:

I’m taking my kids this weekend since they have four days off and we are staying at 1hotel right off the park. I have stayed there before and enjoyed it. 

it is my 9 and 7 year olds’ first time so mostly the classic hits but I could use a rec for something new/fresh for dinner before wicked on Sunday night.  No per se lunch, eleven Madison park dinner on the same day this time. My girls love when I cook out of the Balthazar cookbook so headed there Saturday evening for the og. Vanderbilt summit experience, moma, cp, high line, ferry round trip for statue all on the agenda along with wicked. Also, where is the current zeitgeist on unmatched pizza and bagels that no one’s ever heard of these days (besides sbarro of course)?

I still contend Pizzeria Suprema at 31/8 is the best slice in the city. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I still contend Pizzeria Suprema at 31/8 is the best slice in the city. 

Shit.  Did you post that earlier when I was asking about great pizza?  I loved what I found in Hell's Kitchen, but would have surely tried that out.  Maybe I brain-farted, it has happened now and again.

Looking at a map, I guess I walked right by it on my way to the Highline.

Una Pizza Napoletana is supposed to be good.  I have not had it yet, but it is on my list.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/this-nyc-restaurant-has-officially-been-named-best-pizzeria-in-the-u-s-061622

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/this-nyc-restaurant-has-officially-been-named-best-pizzeria-in-the-world-091222

I have been to 50 Kalo in Naples, and it was fucking outstanding, so this must be good.  

However, this is old country pizza.  If you want New York Pizza, I think John's on Bleecker is up there.  Scarr's is also good.  And while it isn't the best, Lombardi's is the oldest, and since it is close, you can pop to Ferrara's for sweets and coffee after.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Finishing up in NYC and heading to Chicago for the kids to go see Harry Styles before flying home. Weather was crappy (perfect day today as we sit in the airport), but they enjoyed it. Saw pretty much everything on their lists. Will definitely go for shorter more focused trips in the future as bouncing back and forth everywhere was a lot. Thanks for the recs on here, it narrowed some things down on eating for sure.

Una Pizza Napoletana is supposed to be good.  I have not had it yet, but it is on my list.
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/this-nyc-restaurant-has-officially-been-named-best-pizzeria-in-the-u-s-061622
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/this-nyc-restaurant-has-officially-been-named-best-pizzeria-in-the-world-091222
I have been to 50 Kalo in Naples, and it was fucking outstanding, so this must be good.  
However, this is old country pizza.  If you want New York Pizza, I think John's on Bleecker is up there.  Scarr's is also good.  And while it isn't the best, Lombardi's is the oldest, and since it is close, you can pop to Ferrara's for sweets and coffee after.

Don’t sleep on Julianna’s across the Brooklyn Bridge

f448d2ebc2ed811a8583a17d2a37536a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Ok, so some Broadway reviews up this week.  

Leopoldstadt, which I saw Saturday night, has gotten very good reviews in the Times.  The acting is superb.  This should be required viewing.

In November 1938, in Vienna, life chez Merz — the reciting of books, the games of cat’s cradle, the polished renditions of Haydn at the piano — proceeds with only brief interruptions despite the nearby sounds of broken glass. But then comes the rap at the door. The pianist, Hanna (Colleen Litchfield), goes to answer it and hastily returns.

“Trouble,” she hisses.

With that one word, the hinge of history swings open upon the abyss.

It is also the word that turns “Leopoldstadt,” the harrowing new Tom Stoppard play that opened on Sunday at the Longacre Theater, from a domestic comedy into a Greek drama. What had been until then a loving portrait of Austrian Jewish bourgeois society in the years before the Anschluss — the play begins in 1899 and will follow the family through 1955 — becomes, as the Nazis enter not just the Merzes’ homeland but their home, a portrait of that society’s self-delusion. The cosmopolitan, intermarried and profoundly cultured clan, given less than a day to pack for a future most will not survive, finally understands that, for Jews, history has no hinge; the abyss is always open.

Whether complacency is a moral failing, as “Leopoldstadt” seems to argue, is a vexing question. In the play’s first three acts — it has five, each set in a different year and performed without intermission over the course of 2 hours and 10 minutes — Stoppard posits the Merzes, and their relatives-by-marriage, the Jakoboviczes, as golden examples of assimilation. Hermann Merz (David Krumholtz), the wealthy businessman in whose apartment near the fashionable Ringstrasse the story unfolds, has even converted to Catholicism as a kind of insurance. One of the always ambient children is confused enough about the distinctions between Jew, gentile and Austrian to top the family’s Christmas tree with a Star of David.

Austrian gentiles are not confused, though. Antisemitic slights and violence are frequent enough that even the Merzes take notice. In 1899, the adults are already arguing the merits of Theodor Herzl’s plans for a Jewish homeland in Palestine. But all signs, at least the cultural ones valued by the bourgeoisie, point to progress. Brahms has visited their home; Mahler, though “wet from his baptism,” is still “our man.” Klimt is painting Hermann’s wife, Gretl (Faye Castelow). And the playwright Arthur Schnitzler has inscribed a private copy of “La Ronde” to Hermann’s brother-in-law, Ludwig (Brandon Uranowitz), a mathematician being analyzed by Freud.

As Stoppard flips through this Rolodex of Viennese machers, you may recognize his trademark bravura: tossing you into the deep end of his imagination, trusting that you’ll eventually surface. In this case, it’s a very deep end: By my count, 31 characters appear in “Leopoldstadt,” 24 of them members of the extended Merz-Jakobovicz clan. Even if you’ve studied the family tree available on the play’s website, it’s impossible to keep them sorted when they themselves are confused. “She’s my … my sister-in-law’s sister-in-law,” Gretl ventures of Hanna. “I think.”

From left: Brandon Uranowitz, Caissie Levy, Faye Castelow and David Krumholtz.
From left: Brandon Uranowitz, Caissie Levy, Faye Castelow and David Krumholtz.Credit...Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

But just when you fear you know too little, you realize you actually know too much. In “Leopoldstadt,” Stoppard takes dramatic irony — the audience’s grasp of what the characters cannot see — to such an extreme that it becomes the subject itself. It applies here not only to tangled relationships and romantic betrayals but to the larger tangles and betrayals of fate; if you’ve heard of Kristallnacht, you will be waiting for that rap on the door and wondering, perhaps unfairly, why the Merzes aren’t. But it’s mostly hindsight that has taught us what happened to Viennese Jews of that vintage.

That we remain in suspense anyway is partly the effect of Stoppard’s kaleidoscopic technique, seducing us with manifold pleasures like that boisterous Christmas party in 1899, a polyphonic Passover in 1900, a farcical circumcision in 1924. Much as he has done in earlier plays with the metaphysical juggling acts of poets, revolutionaries and philosophers, he arranges the domestic affairs of these bourgeois characters into highly detailed and glittering patterns, like snowflakes seen under a magnifying glass.

But “Leopoldstadt” is not quite as tightly constructed as “Arcadia,” say, or “Jumpers” or “Travesties”; it has too many themes to wrangle, and some dense historical exposition is unconvincingly disguised as small talk. As such, the play leans more than usual on a handsome, foreboding, smartly calibrated production. The acting is excellent across the board, with too many standouts to name. The director Patrick Marber’s deep-focus staging keeps all the stories going at once on a set by Richard Hudson that fairly gleams with honeyed smugness under Neil Austin’s lights. And Brigitte Reiffenstuel’s costumes make you long for the elegance of prewar fashions until you are brought up short by remembering what happened to those who wore them.

Even without any overt violence, the Kristallnacht scene, with its shiny blond monster calling the Jewish children a “litter,” is thus brutal, wiping away all the beauty in seconds. But the play’s argument and its likely source in Stoppard’s own life does not really emerge until the scene that follows, set in 1955. It is then, as Vienna prepares to open its new postwar opera house with an ex-Nazi on the podium, that we are explicitly asked to consider the connected problems of historical memory and premonition. Is it a corollary of the warning that we must never forget the Holocaust that we must always expect it again?

Uranowitz, right, with Arty Froushan, whose character is ignorant of his Jewish relatives. “You live as if without history, as if you throw no shadow behind you,” Uranowitz tells him.       Uranowitz, right, with Arty Froushan, whose character is ignorant of his Jewish relatives. “You live as if without history, as if you throw no shadow behind you,” Uranowitz tells him.Credit...Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

Stoppard, no doubt noting the resurgence of antisemitism today, seems to argue for that, painting complacency as a kind of hubris. In the play’s cosmology, more unforgivable than its shiny blond monsters is a callow 24-year-old Jakobovicz family survivor — he too is blond — we meet in this final act. Born Leopold Rosenbaum, he is now called Leo Chamberlain, having adopted the last name of his English stepfather because his mother, he says, “didn’t want me to have Jewish relatives in case Hitler won.” Leo (Arty Froushan) has written two “funny books” and is so ignorant of those Jewish relatives that one of them, a second cousin who survived the camps, cannot hold his tongue. “You live as if without history,” he spits, “as if you throw no shadow behind you.”

This is not autobiography, but it’s close enough. Tom Stoppard was born Tomáš Sträussler, in Czechoslovakia, receiving his new last name just as Leo does, from an English stepfather. He started writing his first funny plays in his early 20s. He came very late to a full understanding of his Jewishness, including the murders of family members in Nazi death camps. You need not equate him exactly with his stand-in to see that in “Leopoldstadt,” by punishing Leo for his belatedness, he is punishing himself for his own.

The play begins in 1899 and follows the family through 1955.

The play begins in 1899 and follows the family through 1955. Credit...Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

The last scene is thus a strange one: powerful, painful and masochistic by implication. But I was left wondering whom its argument was meant for. There are of course people who do not believe the Holocaust happened; I doubt they will see the play.

And then there are those in no danger of forgetting, for whom the names of the camps, as intoned in the final moments, are as ingrained as the hypnotic babble of grief we call the Mourner’s Kaddish.

That leaves only those who live in the bubble in between, who both know and don’t know. Stoppard seems to place himself there, along with the Merzes, whose refusal to believe the worst led them directly to it.

As I would surely have done no better in their circumstances, I cannot bring myself to blame any of them. Not even Tomáš Sträussler. But the uncommonly bitter and personal focus in that final scene makes the play feel a bit unstable, teetering like an upside-down pyramid on its smallest point. “Leopoldstadt” is at its best not in instructing us how we must mourn a lost world but in bringing it lovingly back to life.

Leopoldstadt
Through Jan. 29 at the Longacre Theater, Manhattan; leopoldstadtplay.com. Running time: 2 hours 10 minutes.

1776 opened last night.  I had high hopes, and the review has sent this falling down my list of things to see.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/06/theater/1776-review-broadway.html

• Fuck You 1

For those planning New York trips over the next bit, here is the 2022/2023 Season confirmed.  Leopoldstadt is not on here as it is a Special Engagement.

2022/2023 Season with Dates Announced (The ones I am most excited about are bolded)

Theatre: American Airlines Theatre
First Preview: September 16, 2022
Opening: October 6, 2022
Starring: Crystal Lucas-Perry, Carolee Carmello, Elizabeth A. Davis, Patrena Murray
Writers: Sherman Edwards (music and lyrics), Peter Stone (book)
Directors: Jeffrey L. Page and Diane Paulus
About: This musical retelling of the American Revolutionary War will be produced in partnership between the Roundabout Theatre Company and the American Repertory Theater at Harvard University.

DEATH OF A SALESMAN
Theatre: Hudson Theatre
First Preview: September 19, 2022
Opening: October 9, 2022
Starring: Wendell Pierce, Sharon D Clarke, André De Shields, Khris Davis, and McKinley Belcher III
Writer: Arthur Miller
Director: Miranda Cromwell
About: Olivier Award nominee Wendell Pierce and 2022 Tony nominee Sharon D Clarke reprise their roles as Willy and Linda Loman in a revival—told for the first time on Broadway—from the perspective of an African American family. This powerful interpretation of Arthur Miller’s classic drama illuminates the dark underbelly of the American Dream and its elusive promise of equality and opportunity for all.

THE PIANO LESSON
Theatre: Ethel Barrymore Theatre
First Preview: September 19, 2022
Opening: October 13, 2022
Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, John David Washington, Danielle Brooks
Writer: August Wilson
Director: LaTanya Richardson Jackson
About: The play is the fourth in Wilson's Century Cycle, which explores the Black experience in every decade of the 20th century with such works as Fences, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, and Jitney, among others. The Piano Lesson is set in Pittsburgh's Hill District in 1936, with a brother and sister embroiled in a battle over a family heirloom piano carved with the faces of their ancestors.

TOPDOG/UNDERDOG
Theatre: John Golden Theatre
First Preview: September 27, 2022
Opening: October 20, 2022
Starring: Corey Hawkins, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II
Writer: Suzan-Lori Parks
Director: Kenny Leon
About: A 20th anniversary revival of Suzan-Lori Parks' Pulitzer-winning work about two brothers playing three card monte who discover the true nature of their history.

ALMOST FAMOUS
Theatre: Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre
First Preview: October 3, 2022
Opening: November 3, 2022
Starring: Chris Wood, Anika Larsen, Solea Pfeiffer, Drew Gehling, Rob Colletti, Casey Likes
Writers: Tom Kitt (music), Cameron Crowe (book and lyrics)
Director: Jeremy Herrin
About: Based on the 2000 film of the same name, the musical features a score by Tony and Pulitzer winner Kitt and a book and lyrics by Crowe, who earned an Oscar for penning the original film based on his own teenage experience. The coming-of-age story tracks a 15-year-old music fan named William who lands a Rolling Stone assignment following the emerging band Stillwater on tour.

KIMBERLY AKIMBO
Theatre: Booth Theatre
First Preview: October 12, 2022
Opening: November 10, 2022
Starring: Victoria Clark, Justin Cooley, Steven Boyer, Alli Mauzey, Bonnie Milligan
Writers: Jeanine Tesori (music), David Lindsay-Abaire (book and lyrics)
Director: Jessica Stone
About: Kim is a bright and funny Jersey teen, who happens to look like a 72-year-old lady. And yet her aging disease may be the least of her problems. Forced to maneuver family secrets, borderline personalities, and possible felony charges, Kim is determined to find happiness in a world where not even time is on her side.

KPOP
Theatre: Circle in the Square
First Preview: October 13, 2022
Opening: November 20, 2022
Starring: Luna, Bo Hyung Kim, Min Young Lee, Kevin Woo
Writers: Helen Park and Max Vernon (music & lyrics), Jason Lim (book)
Director: Teddy Bergman
About: A musical concert set inside the world of a KPOP record label. An Off-Broadway production played Ars Nova, Ma-Yi Theater, and the Woodshed Collective in 2017, going on to win the 2018 Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Musical.

WALKING WITH GHOSTS
Theatre: Music Box Theatre
First Preview: October 18, 2022
Opening: October 27, 2022
Starring: Gabriel Byrne
Writer: Gabriel Byrne
Director: Lonny Price
About: Internationally renowned actor and writer Gabriel Byrne will return to Broadway in his acclaimed solo show, adapted from his best-selling memoir of the same name.

TAKE ME OUT
Theatre: Schoenfeld Theatre
First Performance: October 27, 2022
Starring: Jesse Williams, Jesse Tyler Ferguson
Writer: Richard Greenberg
Director: Scott Ellis
About: Major League Baseball star Darren Lemming comes out of the closet, revealing a tradition of long-held unspoken prejudices off the field. As the team struggle to rally toward a championship season, the players and their fans begin to question the old ways, their loyalties, and the price of victory.

& JULIET
Theatre: Stephen Sondheim Theatre
First Preview: October 28, 2022
Opening: November 17, 2022
Starring: Lorna Courtney, Melanie La Barrie, Paulo Szot, Betsy Wolfe, Stark Sands, Justin David Sullivan, Ben Jackson Walker, Philippe Arroyo
Writers: Max Martin (music and lyrics), David West Read (book)
Director: Luke Sheppard
About: Created by the Emmy-winning writer from Schitt’s Creek, this new musical flips the script on the greatest love story ever told. & Juliet asks: what would happen next if Juliet didn’t end it all over Romeo?

MIKE BIRBIGLIA: THE OLD MAN & THE POOL
Theatre: Vivian Beaumont Theatre
First Preview: October 28, 2022
Opening: November 13, 2022
Starring: Mike Birbiglia
Writer: Mike Birbiglia
Director: Seth Barrish
About: Mike Birbiglia returns to Broadway with a coming-of-middle-age story about when life takes a dive – into a highly-chlorinated YMCA pool.

SOME LIKE IT HOT
Theatre: Sam S. Shubert Theatre
First Preview: November 1, 2022
Opening: December 11, 2022
Starring: Christian Borle, J. Harrison Ghee, Adrianna Hicks, Kevin Del Aguila, NaTasha Yvette Williams, Adam Heller, Mark Lotitio
Writers: Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (music and lyrics), Matthew Lopez and Amber Ruffin (book)
Director: Casey Nicholaw
About: A musical adaptation of the classic Billy Wilder film, which starred Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Marilyn Monroe. A world premiere in Chicago was recently scrapped in favor of a direct-to-NYC production.

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL
Theatre: Broadhurst Theatre
First Preview: November 2, 2022
Opening: December 4, 2022
Starring: Will Swenson, Mark Jacoby, Robyn Hurder
Writer: Anthony McCarten
Director: Michael Mayer
About: The story of the legendary Neil Diamond comes to life on stage in a new musical featuring his hit songs “Sweet Caroline”, “America”, and “Cracklin’ Rosie."

AIN'T NO MO'
Theatre: Belasco Theatre
First Preview: November 3, 2022
Opening: December 1, 2022
Starring: Jordan E. Cooper, Fedna Jacquet, Marchánt Davis, Shannon Matesky, Ebony Marshall-Oliver, Crystal Lucas-Perry
Writer: Jordan E. Cooper
Director: Stevie Walker-Webb
About: The comedy imagines what would happen if the U.S. government offered Black Americans one-way plane tickets to Africa. The work played a world-premiere run at Off-Broadway's The Public Theater in 2019.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL
Theatre: Nederlander Theatre
First Preview: November 8, 2022
Opening: November 21, 2022
Starring: Jefferson Mays
Writers: Jefferson Mays (Adaptation), Susan Lyons (Adaptation), Michael Arden (Adaptation)
Director: Michael Arden
About: Jefferson Mays plays more than 50 characters in this new adaptation of the classic Charles Dickens holiday story.

OHIO STATE MURDERS
Theatre: James Earl Jones Theatre
First Preview: November 11, 2022
Opening: December 8, 2022
Starring: Audra McDonald, Bryce Pinkham, Lizan Mitchell
Writer: Adrienne Kennedy
About: When writer Suzanne Alexander returns to her alma mater as a guest speaker, in which she explores the violence in her works, a dark mystery unravels. The play offers a pertinent social look at the destructiveness of racism in society.

THE COLLABORATION
Theatre: Samuel J. Friedman Theatre
First Preview: November 29, 2022
Opening: December 20, 2022
Starring: Paul Bettany, Jeremy Pope
Writer: Anthony McCarten
Director: Kwame Kwei-Armah
About: New York, 1984. Fifty-six-year-old Andy Warhol’s star is falling. Jean-Michel Basquiat is the new wonder-kid taking the art world by storm. When Basquiat agrees to collaborate with Warhol on a new exhibition, it soon becomes the talk of the city. As everyone awaits the ‘greatest exhibition in the history of modern art', the two artists embark on a shared journey, both artistic and deeply personal, that re-draws both their worlds.

BETWEEN RIVERSIDE AND CRAZY
Theatre: Helen Hayes Theatre
First Preview: November 30, 2022
Opening: December 19, 2022
Starring: Victor Almanzar, Elizabeth Canavan, Rosal Colón, Liza Colón-Zayas, Common, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Michael Rispoli
Writer: Stephen Adly Guirgis
Director: Austin Pendleton
About: For ex-cop and recent widower Walter “Pops” Washington and his recently paroled son Junior, the struggle to hold on to one of the last great rent stabilized apartments on Riverside Drive collides with old wounds, sketchy new houseguests, and a final ultimatum in this Pulitzer Prize-winning dark comedy.

BAD CINDERELLA
Theatre: Imperial Theatre
First Preview: February 17, 2023
Opening: March 23, 2023
Starring: Linedy Genao
Writers: Andrew Lloyd Webber (music), David Zippel (lyrics), Emerald Fennell (book)
Director: Laurence Connor
About: Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest musical, a modern update on the classic fairy tale, comes to Broadway following a run in London's West End.

SWEENEY TODD
Theatre: Lunt-Fontanne Theatre
First Preview: February 26, 2023
Opening: March 26, 2023
Starring: Josh Groban, Annaleigh Ashford
Writers: Stephen Sondheim (music and lyrics), Hugh Wheeler (book)
Director: Thomas Kail
About: The musical thriller about the Demon Barber of Fleet Street and the piemaker will return to Broadway with a full 26-person orchestra playing Jonathan Tunick's original orchestrations.

CAMELOT
Theatre: Vivian Beaumont Theatre
First Preview: March 9, 2023
Opening: April 13, 2023
Writers: Frederick Loewe (music), Alan Jay Lerner (original book and lyrics), Aaron Sorkin (additional book)
Director: Barlett Sher
About: Lincoln Center Theater will bring the world of Lerner & Loewe’s Camelot to vibrant life once again when it produces a new version of the classic tale, reimagined for the 21st century.

SUMMER, 1976
Theatre: Samuel J. Friedman
First Preview: April 4, 2023
Opening: TBD
Starring: Laura Linney
Writer: David Auburn
Director: Daniel Sullivan
About: As the Bicentennial is celebrated across the country, two young women in Ohio navigate motherhood, ambition, and intimacy, and help each other discover their own independence.

GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Theatre: Belasco
First Preview: April 7, 2023
Opening: April 24, 2023
Starring: Sean Hayes
Writer: Doug Hughes
Director: Lisa Peterson
About: Sean Hayes plays Oscar Levant: Hollywood actor, concert pianist, and the most subversive wit ever to appear on television during its Golden Age.

Here are more plays announced for 2022/2023, but without dates/venue.

THE THANKSGIVING PLAY
Theatre: Hayes Theatre
First Preview: Spring 2023
Writer: Larissa FastHorse
Director: Rachel Chavkin
About: A troupe of really well-meaning theater artists dream of creating something revolutionary: a culturally sensitive, totally inoffensive Thanksgiving school pageant that finally gives a voice to Native Americans. Finding said Native Americans... isn’t so simple. And that’s when things start to get absurd.

HIGH NOON
Theatre: TBD
Writer: Eric Roth
Director: Michael Arden
About: Based on Stanley Kramer’s trailblazing 1952 Academy Award-wining film, High Noon is written for the stage by Academy Award winner Eric Roth and directed by Tony Award nominee Michael Arden. High Noon will become the first Western play to premiere on Broadway in over 85 years.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK
Writers: John Kander (music), Fred Ebb (lyrics), Lin-Manuel Miranda (additional lyrics), David Thompson and Sharon Washington (book)
Director: Susan Stroman
About: Loosely based on Martin Scorsese’s 1977 movie, this musical will use John Kander & Fred Ebb's songs, with new ones by Kander & Lin-Manuel Miranda, to depict a post-WWII New York in recovery.

PRIMA FACIE
Starring: Jodie Comer
Writer: Suzie Miller
Director: Justin Martin
About: The play follows a young and brilliant barrister who is forced to explore how patriarchal power over the law, burden of proof, and morals diverge after an unexpected event. It played previous productions in Sydney and London.

DANCIN'
First Preview: TBD
Director: Wayne Cilento
About: The Bob Fosse musical revue features an eclectic song list from Neil Diamond to George M. Cohan. Cilento starred in the original 1978 Broadway production.

PAL JOEY
Writers: Richard Rodgers (music), Lorenz Hart (lyrics), John O'Hara (original book), Richard LaGravenese (new book)
Directors: Savion Glover and Tony Goldwyn
About: The primary setting for this classic musical has been re-imagined as a South Side Chicago nightclub in the 1940s; the character of Linda, formerly a stenographer-clerk, is now an aspiring singer.

SING STREET
Writers: Gary Clark and John Carney (music & lyrics), Enda Walsh (book)
Director: Rebecca Taichman
About: The show, based on the 2016 film, explores the power of first love and music against the backdrop of 1980s Dublin.

• Fuck You 1

TOPDOG/UNDERDOG
Theatre: John Golden Theatre
First Preview: September 27, 2022
Opening: October 20, 2022
Starring: Corey Hawkins, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II
Writer: Suzan-Lori Parks
About: A 20th anniversary revival of Suzan-Lori Parks' Pulitzer-winning work about two brothers playing threecard monte who discover the true nature of their history.

Go on…

• Like 1

Topdog/Underdog is great, if you're able to see it to it. We saw it a few years ago. 

We're seeing &Juliet, Akimbo and Leopoldstadt in mid January, and have tickets for Sweeney and Summer, 1976 for mid April (will add a few more shows to that trip). 

Might catch a show Wednesday night before Tgiving, but I probably should skip that and rest up for @PenelopeWitherspoon's drink-mixing abilities Thursday am lol 

Carbone, Luger and Marea among those that dropped its Michelin star. 17 gained its first star, including Semma, One White Hill, Clover Street and Diret Candy. 

https://ny.eater.com/2022/10/6/23389696/michelin-restaurants-nyc-stars-2022

Surprised Marea lost the star, we had dinner there back in May and it was as excellent as ever. Carbone doesn't surprise me. 

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Topdog/Underdog is great, if you're able to see it to it. We saw it a few years ago. 

We're seeing &Juliet, Akimbo and Leopoldstadt in mid January, and have tickets for Sweeney and Summer, 1976 for mid April (will add a few more shows to that trip). 

Might catch a show Wednesday night before Tgiving, but I probably should skip that and rest up for @PenelopeWitherspoon's drink-mixing abilities Thursday am lol 

Drink mixing will be to a minimum. It is breakfast, and mimosas are the drink for breakfast...unless I bring some pre-made bloody marys.  Was talking to some of the folks in the office who are coming, and we are going to coordinate and get everything there the day before so people just have to show up.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Drink mixing will be to a minimum. It is breakfast, and mimosas are the drink for breakfast...unless I bring some pre-made bloody marys.  Was talking to some of the folks in the office who are coming, and we are going to coordinate and get everything there the day before so people just have to show up.  

True. 

But yea lots of great stuff. If you ever want a easy to find list of what is on, when it ends, what's next - http://www.broadwaynowandnext.com/

My CSB about NYC and Broadway is that I’m very close friends with Terrence McNally’s brother, and am actually going with him to see a community theatre version of his brother’s play Frankie and Johnny next week.

Great documentary for theatre buffs starring my friend, Nathan Lane, Edie Falco, Tyne Daly and others.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/terrence-mcnally-every-act-of-life-documentary/10986/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, sidis said:

had a great long weekend there with the kids.  their first time so a lot of the classic hits.

for anyone looking to do an observatory type thing, strong recommendation for the summit one at the vanderbilt building.  pretty awesome.

https://summitov.com/

Looks cool. Will definitely add to our list.

I am getting down to details for our trip Thanksgiving week.  This will be our girls' first time to the city (they're 16 and 13), so we're also hitting the classics as well.  Will see the Rockettes and getting tickets to &Juliet.

Any recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner that's either a great atmosphere or (even better) non-traditional Thanksgiving food? My family isn't huge fans of the turkey-dressing dinner. Our favorite Thanksgiving meal to date was an Italian place in London, so we'd actually prefer something different. 

Thanks in advance and for all the other great recs on this thread!

1 hour ago, Cap33 said:

Looks cool. Will definitely add to our list.

I am getting down to details for our trip Thanksgiving week.  This will be our girls' first time to the city (they're 16 and 13), so we're also hitting the classics as well.  Will see the Rockettes and getting tickets to &Juliet.

Any recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner that's either a great atmosphere or (even better) non-traditional Thanksgiving food? My family isn't huge fans of the turkey-dressing dinner. Our favorite Thanksgiving meal to date was an Italian place in London, so we'd actually prefer something different. 

Thanks in advance and for all the other great recs on this thread!

Dhaba (Indian) does a legit good buffet spread on thanksgiving day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, b_p said:

Nice getaway planned….

Today Tribeca and Jua

Tomorrow Sushi Nakazawa 

Friday Nice Matin

Sat Compagnie de Vins Surnaturals and Atera

Sun Estela

Mon Sushi Noz

And the New York Wine Experience intermixed Thurs-Sat

Damn, well done. Nice Matin is just ok IMO, but every other place you listed is A+. Compagnie is in my regular rotation.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Damn, well done. Nice Matin is just ok IMO, but every other place you listed is A+. Compagnie is in my regular rotation.

Nice is just to consume some treasures from their fantastic wine list. One of the best in town, imo. 

24 minutes ago, b_p said:

Nice is just to consume some treasures from their fantastic wine list. One of the best in town, imo. 

Ah, that it explains it. When I lived nearby in the UWS 8 years ago I was probably still ordering the house wine!

Edit to add: If you can squeeze in another meal, consider Ko. A friend of mine is the Sommelier there, and she just won New York Sommelier of the year by Michelin. Her tasting menu is always super interesting and delicious. And the great food doesn’t hurt.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Ah, that it explains it. When I lived nearby in the UWS 8 years ago I was probably still ordering the house wine!

Edit to add: If you can squeeze in another meal, consider Ko. A friend of mine is the Sommelier there, and she just won New York Sommelier of the year by Michelin. Her tasting menu is always super interesting and delicious. And the great food doesn’t hurt.

Great suggestion! I did Ko a few years ago and it was great. Had the tasting menu with their drink pairing and also brought a couple of corkage bottles. Fantastic and I will definitely do it again. It was on the list this time but there a few other places that I haven’t tried ahead of it, and I was fortunate enough to secure reservations. A post for another day, but man, what a challenge to get reservations these days. Everyone is selling out as soon as seats become available.  Getting back on track, I’d definitely go back to Ko and would love to ham it up with your Som friend. 

Wife and I just booked the cliche "NYC at Christmastime" trip.

I've never set foot in NYC in my life. I know this entire thread consists of 36 pages of recs, but it's been going for 4 years and I imagine NYC has changed more in the last 4 years than just about any place on earth, so pardon my asking a question that's been answered ad nauseum. 

Quick trip, arrive early Thursday afternoon, leave at lunchtime Sunday. So, basically I'm looking for the "First time in NYC, 72 hours to spare" sampler.

I know we want to catch a Broadway show (gimme your #1 choice), walk around Central Park, see the tree at Rockefeller Center....but mostly eat some good meals.  Staying on 48th Street in Midtown East. Hoping to walk as much as possible. 

Sushi? 

Italian?

Deli? 

Bagel?

Pizza by the Slice?

Aside from eating and drinking, anything else we should do while we're there?

Le Rock just got some really good reviews.  I definitely recommend putting it on your list as a pre-Broadway spot.  

On Broadway, do you like Musicals or Plays?  Lot of new stuff coming soon too.  Right now, of what I have seen, I would recommend Six (it is also only 90 minutes) or Leopoldstadt (2 hours and 15 minutes, no intermission, but moving).

Never been to NYC and want to see one show? Hard not to say Hamilton as cliche, as that is now. A ,l ton Broadway right now is fairly niche. Six, Hadestown, Funny Girl are all very very good. Kimberly Akimbo is in previews and will be a hit (with criticism might not sell well - I’m stoked to see it next month)l 

For plays, I’d look at The Christmas Carol since it is a limited run and perfect timing for you. Death of a Salesman and Leopoldstadt great choices too. 

On 10/19/2022 at 1:44 PM, Storm the Field said:

Wife and I just booked the cliche "NYC at Christmastime" trip.

I've never set foot in NYC in my life. I know this entire thread consists of 36 pages of recs, but it's been going for 4 years and I imagine NYC has changed more in the last 4 years than just about any place on earth, so pardon my asking a question that's been answered ad nauseum. 

Quick trip, arrive early Thursday afternoon, leave at lunchtime Sunday. So, basically I'm looking for the "First time in NYC, 72 hours to spare" sampler.

I know we want to catch a Broadway show (gimme your #1 choice), walk around Central Park, see the tree at Rockefeller Center....but mostly eat some good meals.  Staying on 48th Street in Midtown East. Hoping to walk as much as possible. 

Sushi? 

Italian?

Deli? 

Bagel?

Pizza by the Slice?

Aside from eating and drinking, anything else we should do while we're there?

My taste (and means) is not as high as other folks on this thread, though I would like to go to many of the places mentioned. We just got back from a 3 night stay. For some low key non-tasting-menu kind of places. These aren’t hidden gems or anything but they are great at what they do:

I am a big fan of Sadelle’s for bagels and lox or other brunch fare. Make your reservation now. Laid back place, might catch a celeb keeping it casual. 

My favorite neighborhood just to walk around in, is Greenwich/West Village. I recommend Mary’s Fish Camp for the lobster roll (but other seafood is good too) for lunch. No reservations required, nice and laid back but not a dive at all. Hit it on your way back from seeing the Statue of Liberty. 

Several folks have mentioned Los Tacos No. 1, and it lives up to the hype. Specifically the pastor taco…it is a game changer. Best taco I’ve ever had. There’s a location in Midtown and in Chelsea Market, and a few others I believe.

I liked Mimi Chengs for dumplings—you can hit the UWS location before walking in Central Park or the LES location if you’re in the neighborhood. 

The best cookies in the world are at Levain bakery, several locations. (But there other stuff has been only okay for me.)

Oh yeah, I think it was spanky who recommended Beauty & Essex. Cool atmosphere, good food with playful menu. You’ll need reservations but it is NOT stuffy. Actually have to walk through a pawn shop storefront to enter.

I also would recommend Top of the Rock  I’m assuming it will be freezing cold but the views are great and it’s totally a “first time in NYC” thing.

And if you want out of the cold, MoMA and The Met are beloved museums for a reason. Worth a couple hours for sure.

Anyway, those places might be called “basic” or whatever but I’ve enjoyed them on my few trips.

Have a great time, man. You’ll love it, I’m betting.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Never had Culture Coffee. But if there’s a better cookie than Levain makes, then I’m all in to try it. Because Levain is eyes-roll-back-in-your-head good. 

Levain is very good.  I have heard good things about Culture Coffee from others as well.

Honestly, a lot of awesome in the city no matter your budget.

One of my favorite dive bars is Rudy's on 9th between 44th and 45th.  For $6 cash (no cards) you get a shot, a beer, and a hot dog.  Have gotten very, very drunk there.

Another divey place I recommend is Brandy's up on 84th and 2nd.  They have a piano player and all the bartenders sing.  And they are good.  Solid drinks are not too expensive.  And the atmosphere is great.

• Hook 'Em 1

Taking kids Dec 20-24.  16B and 13G.  They haven't been in 8 years.   Probably see BMG again.  Skip Rockettes.  did that.   Need a good show that kids would like.  Advance tickets to Wicked are $128.  That seems way excessive.  Any other show suggestions.   Should we just suffer in the TKTS line?

Might do Keens and Frank.  Any other teen friendly good dining options.  They like all food.