Tell me about New York City

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Options for discount show tickets, similar to Tix4Tonight in Vegas? Do they have kiosks in NYC like Vegas? We're thinking about going to a show next month but not a huge want. If there's day-of options we have flexibility to go that route. 

Thanks in advance. 

TKTS booth - one in Times Square, one at Lincoln Center. LC is much less chaotic and they share inventory. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Options for discount show tickets, similar to Tix4Tonight in Vegas? Do they have kiosks in NYC like Vegas? We're thinking about going to a show next month but not a huge want. If there's day-of options we have flexibility to go that route. 

Thanks in advance. 

Let me know what shows/dates you are looking at. I always forget that I get discounted tickets through work.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wrapping up a week in NYC (first visit in about 10 years and first with kids), so here it goes: Yup, the smell of weed is everywhere. Haven't read the article quoted above, but I was surprised how prevalent it was. Maybe I shouldn't have been, but whatever, it's definitely a thing. I'll save the rest of my thoughts for another day on a different board.

Here were our highlights with kids (15 and 12) in tow:

• Dinner at BXL -- dug the vibe, and the staff was great
  • Sunday brunch at Balthazar 
  • La Ferrara Bakery on Mulberry (went back for more rainbow cookies a few days later)
  • The Met 
  • The Rockettes Christmas Spectacular
  • Momofuku Noodle Bar -- perfect pre-theater dinner
  • Funny Girl -- Lea Michele killed it
  • Polo Bar -- pain in the ass to get a reservation, but it was so worth it

We also did the Macy's parade (watched a lot from Essex House lobby) and Empire State Building observation decks. Prob not as good as the Summit One rec'd above, but the kids wanted to do ESB because of Elf, so there you go. 

Again, thanks to @PenelopeWitherspoon@The Ace of Aces, and others I know I'm missing for so many solid recommendations.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I will post the time lapse video of the Parade yesterday.  It was so much fun.  @The Ace of Aces, I hope you guys had a good time.  I drank WAY too much.  I passed out around 8 PM last night.  Terrible.  At least there was no hangover today.  

We had a blast. Thank you again - would love it to be a new tradition!

Also @PenelopeWitherspoon makes the best boozy egg nog ever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Ya, ticket sales are abysmal and worse than K-POP which is closing suddenly Saturday. I’ll be shocked if it lasts through the new year - they’re burning money. 

How was it?

It was really, really good.  It was hilarious and poignant at the same time.  It is well done satire.  It's a shame if it closes early.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Did anyone seee “A man of no importance” with Jim Parsons?

Had my usual Friday lunch with Terrence McNally’s brother and he was telling me about it. I’m going to be in NYC too late to catch it.

But McNally’s brother is tight with Tom Kirdahy and he and I are going to see Anastasia on tour in Texas next spring.

9 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

It’s closing Dec 18. Sad we can’t see it. 

People are stupid and would rather go see Chicago or Phantom whcih have been around forever than something groundbreaking.  But also, Broadway is increasingly more and more expensive, prohibitively so for some.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Had planned on taking a train down tomorrow for the games at MSG but all the early departures are sold out, was going to do a down and back from Albany.  Now thinking of driving down to White Plains or Newark and take the train on in from there, would stay overnight at either one.  

Leaving on Tuesday w my 16 and 13 in tow. 4 nights. They haven't been in 8 years. Will be a completely different experience.

My daughter is hell bent on going to Princeton so we are going to drive down. A friend has a cousin that coaches there and he is going to show us around the athletic complex.

That gives us two whole days in the city.

Any suggestions. Probably do two museums. High line. Vessel. Wall Street. Central Park. Wholman rink. Tree of course. Empire state. Am I missing anything?

Only two dinners planned are momofuku noodle and Frank. The rest will be walk in depending on what we are hungry for.
They want to do blue man again. Maybe wicked but damn they are expensive. Not really interested in tkts but maybe I'll suffer to save a few bucks

4 hours ago, midtown said:

Leaving on Tuesday w my 16 and 13 in tow. 4 nights. They haven't been in 8 years. Will be a completely different experience.

My daughter is hell bent on going to Princeton so we are going to drive down. A friend has a cousin that coaches there and he is going to show us around the athletic complex.

That gives us two whole days in the city.

Any suggestions. Probably do two museums. High line. Vessel. Wall Street. Central Park. Wholman rink. Tree of course. Empire state. Am I missing anything?

Only two dinners planned are momofuku noodle and Frank. The rest will be walk in depending on what we are hungry for.
They want to do blue man again. Maybe wicked but damn they are expensive. Not really interested in tkts but maybe I'll suffer to save a few bucks

I dislike the Vessel and that Hudson Yards area personally - so sterile. For two days those activities should fill them up.

Top of the Rock is better than Empire State Building for views. Buy tickets ahead of time. Haven’t been to the new Summit and iirc Penelope likes it a lot for an observation deck. 

You could train to Princeton and not drive and just waste one day. Would be pricey but might be worth it. 

Thanks for the input on Vessel and Top of the Rock.   

I looked at the train but decided to rent a car because the car is pretty much the same price and I didn't want to have to take a taxi/uber to the university once from the train station.  Gives us more flexibility

7 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I dislike the Vessel and that Hudson Yards area personally - so sterile. For two days those activities should fill them up.

Top of the Rock is better than Empire State Building for views. Buy tickets ahead of time. Haven’t been to the new Summit and iirc Penelope likes it a lot for an observation deck. 

You could train to Princeton and not drive and just waste one day. Would be pricey but might be worth it. 

Yeah, One Vanderbilt is the best of all the observation decks.  

• Fuck You 1

Staying in east midtown with my two little ones (6 and 3 first time for both). My wife and I met and dated in the city but haven’t been back together in probably 8 years. Holy shit the touristy areas are at a record high from my recollection but hopefully that means all this talk of a 2023 recession is short lived. Walked around Greenwich Village and showed them all the spots we used to have dates at and had a quick lunch at John’s Pizzeria on Bleeker. Thank god it warmed up from where it was a week ago. 

I got a chance to get out by myself and walk to my old E.Vil haunts last night and crank the interpol/LCD/Strokes soundtrack that brought back all the flashbacks.  

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Staying in east midtown with my two little ones (6 and 3 first time for both). My wife and I met and dated in the city but haven’t been back together in probably 8 years. Holy shit the touristy areas are at a record high from my recollection but hopefully that means all this talk of a 2023 recession is short lived. Walked around Greenwich Village and showed them all the spots we used to have dates at and had a quick lunch at John’s Pizzeria on Bleeker. Thank god it warmed up from where it was a week ago. 

I got a chance to get out by myself and walk to my old E.Vil haunts last night and crank the interpol/LCD/Strokes soundtrack that brought back all the flashbacks.  

It was actually pretty pleasant today.

The most fun thing for me personally around this time of year is meeting all the holiday tourists. So many great stories to hear from them about where they are from as well as their thoughts on NYC. I have been pretty busy the last two months, but I did manage to go see Seinfeld perform about a week before Christmas. I see him once a week where I work, but it was fun seeing him in his element onstage at The Beacon Theatre. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Anybody going to Stout for the game tonight? I’ll be the tall guy in the color blocked UT sweatshirt. Feel free to say hi (unless you’re a weirdo). 

Nope.  Staying in and trying to get some work done while I have the TV on.

35 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The most fun thing for me personally around this time of year is meeting all the holiday tourists. So many great stories to hear from them about where they are from as well as their thoughts on NYC. I have been pretty busy the last two months, but I did manage to go see Seinfeld perform about a week before Christmas. I see him once a week where I work, but it was fun seeing him in his element onstage at The Beacon Theatre. 

I saw Seinfeld on the 16th.  He was really funny.

FYI, New York City opened its first legal cannibis dispensary today.  750 Broadway.  Look out!

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Nope.  Staying in and trying to get some work done while I have the TV on.

I saw Seinfeld on the 16th.  He was really funny.

FYI, New York City opened its first legal cannibis dispensary today.  750 Broadway.  Look out!

We saw him the same day. I went to the 9:30 show because I got off work late. Seinfeld on stage vs. Seinfeld in-person are vastly different people. He seems to have some social anxiety. It was cool seeing him perform.

53 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

We saw him the same day. I went to the 9:30 show because I got off work late. Seinfeld on stage vs. Seinfeld in-person are vastly different people. He seems to have some social anxiety. It was cool seeing him perform.

Yeah, I was at that show too.  We were in the last row of the orchestra.  It was a great show.  We had a lot of fun.  Glad we went.  Before, we had dinner at Dagon, which was very, very good.  If you go, don't order an entree per person.  We shared and two starters and a main and could not finish it all.  Very large portions at Dagon.