The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Thanks a lot, y’all. Subway is a fuck of a hike. Done it twice now, but the first time was in the spring. Pro tip, do NOT do it in the spring. I have been there….7 times now (and driven thru 2 or 3 more times), and I have concluded that early November is the absolute perfect time to visit.

Talked to a 65 year old down there that was on his 6th subway hike. Cool dude.

I will try to use some lower res ones for here next time. I know it can kinda clog it up a bit with a lot of full res stuff.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:36 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Fantastic work Anton.  I see the climber in blue in that one shot.  Really great stuff.

Unrelated, some stuff I have been grappling with regarding photography and social media.  Rant incoming to get things off my chest.

I have made it quite apparent over the years that I don't like instagram, yet I continue to use it.  At first, it was mostly from a technical perspective.  I hated that there was no true landscape format (forced square).  Then it was the image quality that one's photos were degraded to.  I have taken extended breaks from the app before.  But I return because of the size of the network and there are also some photographers that I genuinely love to follow.  But lately, I have started to feel that instagram is a net negative for photography.  I think it is just fine for keeping friends and family in the loop with photos of your kids, or even stupid dance videos or the latest tiktok like trend.  But for photography, I feel it hurts the art more than helps it.  From the idea of "likes" and how a number somehow validates one's work (and rewires people's brains) to censorship and on to the idea of "content".  I am trying to take a step back from the app and wish I could just drop it altogether.  In theory, it seems like a great idea, but in practice it is harmful.  I wish you could turn off likes, as in, there is no button for someone to like a photo.  I hate that people (myself included) just scroll and scroll and scroll...then can barely remember what they just looked at.  It is consumerism in its worst form.

All while I was thinking about this stuff, I came across videos of a fellow longhorn and former photojournalist, Daniel Milnor on youtube.  He has VERY strong opinions about photography and social media which more or less validated my feelings.  But on the other hand, I can appreciate the reach of such a network.  When I made my last book, Instagram was great for promoting and selling it.  I am working on another and not sure how else to get it to the people that may want it if I drop Instagram.

Anyways...just needed to type stuff out and get it off my chest.  Are any of y'all familiar with Dan Milnor?  What are y'all's thoughts on Instagram and social media when it comes to photography?

late to this but yes very familiar with Milnor. follow his work, mostly because of his experience/thoughts on film.

as to Instagram, a lot of what you wrote has been espoused elsewhere. like everything else, it's the people not the medium. some very good work on IG. what I wish was present was a way to create groups or lists, so that you can streamline what you follow/or shows up on your timeline.

Great shots Doug.

4 hours ago, naija said:

late to this but yes very familiar with Milnor. follow his work, mostly because of his experience/thoughts on film.

as to Instagram, a lot of what you wrote has been espoused elsewhere. like everything else, it's the people not the medium. some very good work on IG. what I wish was present was a way to create groups or lists, so that you can streamline what you follow/or shows up on your timeline.

It's never too late to join in or encourage my bitching.  I agree, its the people, not the platform necessarily.  Although, I think the "like" button is a serious issue.  But even if there was to do groups or lists, people would find a way to fuck that up.  Just like they did with hashtags.

This week I will be part of my first gallery in quite awhile (using my noms de guerre "o texano").  A dear friend's (Houston/Austin artist "give up") wife has brain cancer and recently completed treatment.  A bunch of artists are donating work to raise money for them.  It's at Cardoza Gallery in Houston on November 27th from 6-9pm.  Come by if you are around.

spacer.png

I am selling two sets of prints, 4 prints in each set.  $150 per set.  Both skyline photos are printed on metallic paper.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 11/15/2021 at 8:53 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I am still using a "borrowed" copy that is a few years old.  I think that is all I will need. 

I am trying to figure out where to spend money I shouldn't is replacing my wide angle lens with an RF mount version.  But I am not trying to break the bank, so looking at 3rd party lenses.  But I am not in love with any of them.

you know what they say about bodies and lenses. if its a focal length you shoot regularly, might as well save up and wait to get the native mount. no matter how good the adapters, they are all a pain to use. which RF lens are you looking to get?

once Nikon and Canon entered the mirrorless wars, most of the theoretical size advantage over DSLR seems to have disappeared especially when it comes to lenses. That is what is giving me the most pause in terms of getting more. It doesn't make for a very unobtrusive experience trying to take pictures with most of them. Nikon has tried somewhat with the Z 40mm f/2 and Z 28mm F/2.8, but if you are like me and this was your first foray into Full-Frame, missing the smaller nature of APSC doesn't go away

as for 3rd parties, both Canon and Nikon have chosen to have a closed system, and so far it seems Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, Voigtlander are content enough to just stick with the Sony E mount and wait to see if it ever becomes worth their while to expand to RF and Z mounts

you know what they say about bodies and lenses. if its a focal length you shoot regularly, might as well save up and wait to get the native mount. no matter how good the adapters, they are all a pain to use. which RF lens are you looking to get?
once Nikon and Canon entered the mirrorless wars, most of the theoretical size advantage over DSLR seems to have disappeared especially when it comes to lenses. That is what is giving me the most pause in terms of getting more. It doesn't make for a very unobtrusive experience trying to take pictures with most of them. Nikon has tried somewhat with the Z 40mm f/2 and Z 28mm F/2.8, but if you are like me and this was your first foray into Full-Frame, missing the smaller nature of APSC doesn't go away
as for 3rd parties, both Canon and Nikon have chosen to have a closed system, and so far it seems Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, Voigtlander are content enough to just stick with the Sony E mount and wait to see if it ever becomes worth their while to expand to RF and Z mounts

I totally agree. I don’t think they ever really cared to make them smaller or lighter either, however.

Canon New F-1: 895g
Canon EOS-1: 890g
Canon EOS-5D Mark IV: 890g
Canon R5: 738g

The R5 comes out to just over 5oz lighter than the 5DIV, which isn’t even a huge difference really. Then of course you get to the lenses, like you said.

RF 24-70 2.8: 900g
EF 24-70 2.8 II: 805g

Now, the RF version does have IS, but still.

The 70-200 2.8 and the super tele 100-500 are at least over half a pound lighter than their EF counterparts (plus the extra 100mm reach on the RF 100-500 over the EF 100-400).

The Z mount throat diameter got a whopping 8mm increase over F mount, which accounts for a lot of that lens weight.

d165b8304bc400c92701a344c4c1e2cc.jpg

It will actually be interesting to see if Sony sticks with E mount going forward. Since was originally designed for APS-C, its limitations mean that they cannot make use of the ultramodern lens designs with the huge rear elements like Canon RF and Nikon Z have.

Now, obviously Sony makes incredible cameras and lenses. The E mount is fully mature and isn’t really missing much aside from these new exotic big yuge aperture models.

If they do stick with E mount, they may not be able to keep their lens lineup quite as modern as Canikon will.

I am really only looking for a “reasonably” priced RF mount wide angle. That will likely be the Samyang AF 14mm.
I already have two RF mount lenses, 50mm and 24-105mm. I don’t plan on replacing my 100-400, so the adapter can stay on it for quick lens changes. I use my macro so infrequently that it doesn’t weigh in on this.

I often miss the first 15 years of my photography where all I had was my AE-1 and a 500mm 1.8. But, while most of my photography could be done with one or two lenses, there are definitely situations where I need a couple of other lenses.

It’s interesting to hear discussions of weight. This is not something I often consider.

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It will actually be interesting to see if Sony sticks with E mount going forward. Since was originally designed for APS-C, its limitations mean that they cannot make use of the ultramodern lens designs with the huge rear elements like Canon RF and Nikon Z have.

Now, obviously Sony makes incredible cameras and lenses. The E mount is fully mature and isn’t really missing much aside from these new exotic big yuge aperture models.

If they do stick with E mount, they may not be able to keep their lens lineup quite as modern as Canikon will.

they will stick with it. lot was made about the limitations including the so-called inability to make f/1.2 glass, and then Sony surprised everyone with the 50mm f/1.2 earlier this year. The newer lenses and the remade G-Masters have all been class-leading or near the top of it. The recently released new 70-200mm is making waves as the best 70-200mm on the market, which is quite a turn from when the older version was ranked at the bottom. they've also tended to be lighter in weight than Canon, and Nikon especially. the big compromise that has stuck out but doesn't seem to bother a lot of people is that their lenses tend to have a lot of focus-breathing while Nikon is excellent in that regard but bigger and heavier too.

I don't shoot Sony as the camera bodies and color does nothing for me, but have to give them credit. they really turned the industry upside down.

Edited by naija
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am really only looking for a “reasonably” priced RF mount wide angle. That will likely be the Samyang AF 14mm.
I already have two RF mount lenses, 50mm and 24-105mm. I don’t plan on replacing my 100-400, so the adapter can stay on it for quick lens changes. I use my macro so infrequently that it doesn’t weigh in on this.

I often miss the first 15 years of my photography where all I had was my AE-1 and a 500mm 1.8. But, while most of my photography could be done with one or two lenses, there are definitely situations where I need a couple of other lenses.

It’s interesting to hear discussions of weight. This is not something I often consider.

everyone's different. for me, it makes me not want to take the camera/lens out and shoot.

I'm at the point where I am considering saving up for a Leica M just for the small lenses that it comes with. In the meantime might just get one and stick on the Nikon Z6 via an adapter. problem is, optically, the Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 is just tough to beat. punches way above its class. like comparable to lenses that are thousands of dollars more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If you are okay with a prime then why not the RF 16mm f/2.8? Reasonably priced can differ for everyone, but its $300 new out the gate. Not too bad.

• Like 2

If you are okay with a prime then why not the RF 16mm f/2.8? Reasonably priced can differ for everyone, but its $300 new out the gate. Not too bad.

It’s a consideration, although I wish it was a touch wider. Often times when shooting indoor abandoned spaces, that 12mm comes in handy. I wish it was weather sealed.

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Awesome work LT.

Some shots from a drive through East Texas today...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I enjoy your content with photos such as these. I am always enthralled with what people leave behind and simply how things are just abandoned. Am also curious as to why? A truly what is “ones man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.

• Like 1

I enjoy your content with photos such as these. I am always enthralled with what people leave behind and simply how things are just abandoned. Am also curious as to why? A truly what is “ones man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.

Thanks. And yeah, I am always fascinated by what is left behind. I post a couple more later.

I think everyone always passed by old abandoned houses and businesses and wonder what is inside. I prefer to find out when I can.

I'm thinking about investing in some of this photo software by Topaz. I tried a free trial of their sharpening tool recently, and though it took a while to work things out on my old PC, not long before it died, the result was pretty amazing, except for the humongous watermark it left on it. I have had a lot of shots that would have been really nice if not for a slightly off focal point or a little bit of motion blur. This thing actually repairs some level of motion blur. It seems legit.

For cyber week they have a special on three different photo enhancment tools bundled together, the Sharpen, noise removal and an enlarging tool for blowing up photos reeeeaaal good, for $99. Have any of y'all had any experience with these?

Check it out. I'm not hawking for them or anything, but the stuff looks pretty good.

https://topazlabs.com/shop/

Edited by DougO

I'm thinking about investing in some of this photo software by Topaz. I tried a free trial of their sharpening tool recently, and though it took a while to work things out on my old PC, not long before it died, the result was pretty amazing, except for the humongous watermark it left on it. I have had a lot of shots that would have been really nice if not for a slightly off focal point or a little bit of motion blur. This thing actually repairs some level of motion blur. It seems legit.
For cyber week they have a special on three different photo enhancment tools bundled together, the Sharpen, noise removal and an enlarging tool for blowing up photos reeeeaaal good, for $99. Have any of y'all had any experience with these?
Check it out. I'm not hawking for them or anything, but the stuff looks pretty good.

I tried their sharpening tool awhile back. Didn’t like the results. So that probably means I was doing something wrong.

If you haven’t bought yet, use promo code HUNKHAN15 for 15% more off.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

If you haven’t bought yet, use promo code HUNKHAN15 for 15% more off.

Thanks, that worked. $84.99, just a few bucks over the regular price for one of them to get the bundle of three. I probably won't use it much for a while until I get a new permanent new computer set up.

• Like 1

The guys who participate in the conversations I've posted have at times discussed the Topaz software and they all rave about it. 

I was up early and knew from being up early yesterday that the moon would be out so when I went out for a leak I took the camera. I heard some noise out near the garage and ended up capturing these two guys. They showed no fear at all and came up within about 20' of me. 

DSC_3889_00001.thumb.jpg.0bf814ab62554aa962a596f3dfc4b7df.jpg

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

The guys who participate in the conversations I've posted have at times discussed the Topaz software and they all rave about it. 

I was up early and knew from being up early yesterday that the moon would be out so when I went out for a leak I took the camera. I heard some noise out near the garage and ended up capturing these two guys. They showed no fear at all and came up within about 20' of me. 

DSC_3889_00001.thumb.jpg.0bf814ab62554aa962a596f3dfc4b7df.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with racoons.  I have a barn cat that comes in and out of my house.  So I keep food for him on my back porch.  The problem with that is that I also live in a rural area so I also have racoons that want to eat the food.  There is a family of 7 racoons that come around every night around 9pm to see if there is any cat food out there.  Back in the Spring 5 of the raccoons were babies and they have now grown into near full size.  Due to my weakness for wildlife I made the fatal mistake of feeding them too.  While they are fun to watch they can become a pest.  I cannot bring myself to "off" any of them.  They have gotten to the point that if I open the door they will try to come inside.  I can also sit outside and they will come to me.  As much as I want to try to pet one of them I do know better than to do so.  Unfortunately raccoons are known to carry rabies.  Cat doesn't seem to mind them too much either.  If he is outside when they are around he will just watch them from a chair.  If they do come too close he will hiss and they will leave him alone.

951255974_Raccoon1.thumb.jpg.50b865278468b01cd7dc6fc5105c65b3.jpg1574231198_raccoon2.thumb.jpg.10d5aaa9b6e2b61e6b08068e3d0ad0a6.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah, I'm not sure how friendly I want to be with these guys. The trash hopper had Thanksgiving leftover goodies in it in bags but I looked and they didn't show any signs that they had gotten into it. But that was where they were messing around when I first saw them. I'm not in a rural area at all but close enough to some extensive parkland so not really surprised I guess. No telling how long they've been coming around.