The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

12 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I moved to Austin 12/20 from FW. Was in Houston prior to that, so just checking off all the major Texas metroplexes.

There was a lot of strange stuff around Lake Granger this year. I should get out there once in a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

FW nature center is a great place for birding and hiking in general. I'm sure you fan find a bunch of other critters there to photograph besides birds, but I've had barred owl, roadrunner and prothonotary warbler there (boardwalk in summer). One of the only spots in the area for pileated woodpecker too, although they're tough to find. Village creek drying beds in Arlington is the #1 spot in Tarrant County as far as # of species. Lots of waterfowl/wading birds depending on the water level, and in the summer you can see a ton of Mississippi kites that must breed there. It does not smell good, fyi. 

Other than those two, River Legacy Park (E. of Collins) is good for forest birds, particularly during migration, and North Holiday Park is good for waterfowl and wading birds.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DougO said:

There was a lot of strange stuff around Lake Granger this year. I should get out there once in a while.

Yea, I went out and got northern shrike and fork-tailed flycatcher, as well as mountain plover, but those seem to be annual. Travis Co was super slow this winter.

Just now, hookem2010 said:

Yea, I went out and got northern shrike and fork-tailed flycatcher, as well as mountain plover, but those seem to be annual. Travis Co was super slow this winter.

I went with a field trip group and saw the Shrike, but blew the photo op and pissed myself off.  That's where I got the burrowing owl, probably the most photographed one in Texas. The fork-tailed flycatcher had moved from its previous area and was not spotted for a while until later when it was seen again. 

FW nature center is a great place for birding and hiking in general. I'm sure you fan find a bunch of other critters there to photograph besides birds, but I've had barred owl, roadrunner and prothonotary warbler there (boardwalk in summer). One of the only spots in the area for pileated woodpecker too, although they're tough to find. Village creek drying beds in Arlington is the #1 spot in Tarrant County as far as # of species. Lots of waterfowl/wading birds depending on the water level, and in the summer you can see a ton of Mississippi kites that must breed there. It does not smell good, fyi. 
Other than those two, River Legacy Park (E. of Collins) is good for forest birds, particularly during migration, and North Holiday Park is good for waterfowl and wading birds.

Excellent, thank you!

Thanks guys.  I definitely have no idea how to clean the sensor.  I was thinking those had been on the lens as I had no lens wipes with me.  Will investigate.  There was a fair amount of processing in Lightroom on those star pics, but even prior to that it was interesting how different each shot was with different apertures and ISOs.  I'll probably sign up for some formal instruction soon.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I definitely have no idea how to clean the sensor.  I was thinking those had been on the lens as I had no lens wipes with me.  Will investigate.  There was a fair amount of processing in Lightroom on those star pics, but even prior to that it was interesting how different each shot was with different apertures and ISOs.  I'll probably sign up for some formal instruction soon.

You can find videos on YouTube to teach you how to properly clean the sensor without fucking it up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

One of these is good enough unless there’s some stuff really stuck to it. You’ll also notice dust more at higher number (smaller physically) apertures.

Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_3W9GNYYJ4QBFQZPV64BQ

Wet cleaning a sensor isn’t that hard to do either if you need to. There are kits on Amazon, and plenty of YouTube videos.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My old D500 sensor is dirty as hell and I haven't been able to blow it off with several tries of the huge rocket blaster. I've been to chicken to try sensor cleaning swabs or whatever, but now that I have another one I may give it a shot.

You can read up about Astrophotography and learn a lot online without signing up for anything. I say this as someone that has dropped quite a bit of money over the years on Photography learning stuff.

The Exposure Triangle is not very difficult to understand. By and large, the 2 parts you will want to master are Aperture and Shutter Speed. Simplify it by asking yourself 2 questions; what depth of field do you want, i.e, how much do you need to be infocus in your pictures (aperture) and how fast are the objects that you are photographing moving (shutter speed).

Instead of shooting Auto, start by shooting Aperture Priority instead, this way you get to focus on one of the variables and learn about it and let the camera decide on the other two.

As I mentioned before Astrophotography tends to be technical, and is one where eventually you will need to understand all 3 (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) very well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Awesome birds! I especially like the storks. I'll get out that way one of these days when I convince myself to get out of the county more often.

It's funny, I used to get nice shots of cardinals and blue jays all the time when I first started getting interested in bird photography. But I sit in the same spot now and they don't seem to provide the same opportunities as they did years ago. 

• Like 1

You're photos make me really wish that my wife got sent out to Alaska for a year in grad school. It nearly happened, but alas, the city pulled out of the hat was Decatur, TX. The LBJ Grasslands were cool and all, but millions of acres of wilderness to explore seems slightly cooler. Could have added some sick birds and mammals to the life list too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hookem2010 said:

You're photos make me really wish that my wife got sent out to Alaska for a year in grad school. It nearly happened, but alas, the city pulled out of the hat was Decatur, TX. The LBJ Grasslands were cool and all, but millions of acres of wilderness to explore seems slightly cooler. Could have added some sick birds and mammals to the life list too.

Alaska is absolutely like no place else. The sheer amount of true wilderness remaining there is just indescribable. Even for someone like me, who absolutely relishes time in wilderness, the scale of the wilderness before you was almost unsettling. Like you could briefly imagine being an early explorer/ settler staring into the unknown. 

• Hook 'Em 3

What's my dudes?  I shot a roll of Cinestill 800T recently and just got the scans back.  I only really liked a few of the shots.  The point of the roll was to experiment with shooting it during the day (some hits, some misses) and of course some night shots.  Here are the three I liked the most:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I shot this scene on that roll, but I missed focus and underexposed.  I also shot it on my Canon EOS R, which I mostly like.  I am going to be doing a gallery show in June and might print this as it will likely fit in with other artists' works.

spacer.png

Heading to NM next month with my Pops.  Hopefully will get a few shots that don't suck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Where in NM you goin?

All over to be honest. 4 days and a lot of driving.  El Paso and areas for a day, then the next day over to SW NM, then up to ABQ.  One day out to some rock formations called King of Wings.  One day out along and around route 66 (signs, abandoned stuff, etc).

All over to be honest. 4 days and a lot of driving.  El Paso and areas for a day, then the next day over to SW NM, then up to ABQ.  One day out to some rock formations called King of Wings.  One day out along and around route 66 (signs, abandoned stuff, etc).

Awesome. I always want to stop a bunch there, but I am always just in a hurry to get to my destination.

I do have a rocky relationship with the state, though. It’s cost me one windshield and 3 windshield chips.
  • Hook 'Em 1

RIP Patrick Demarchelier. Probably not a fashion crowd in here but he was a legend and I would have loved to see the photo world coming up in the mid 70s. I’m sure it was abusive and tough.

I actually met Patrick once on a beach in St Barths with a crazy Frenchman I worked for back in the day. He looked really bad back then.

https://www.vogue.com/article/patrick-demarchelier-fashion-and-portrait-photographer-has-died/amp

ca41e2f78564785382841b3541cbd699.webp