The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

New used lens day!

Nik200400.jpg

Nikon 200-400 f4, VR first version. Not a single blemish on it, no sign of use, original box, case and everything included. An added bonus, it even came with an upgraded tripod foot by Really Right Stuff which goes for $115, and the original foot was in the case as well. 

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My main football lens, the 300 f2.8m had been acting up lately, cutting out AF function at random times. I sent it to Nikon but they said they have no parts to repair it since it is a "retired" lens. I had been thinking about getting a zoom version but options were too expensive. So I started shopping around.

MPB.com has the best prices and the most transparency, where you can look at photos of the actual items, and they include details about condition when needed. The newer version is the VR2, exact same lens but with improve VR and a newer lens coating. I never use VR for football anyway, so it wasn't a bit deal. The VR2 version is much higher priced, so I looked at the earlier version, but since it is almost identical Nikon should have parts for repair for a long time. 

Out of the 8 lenses the had listed I had my eye on about three of them, the most expensive one and the cheapest one, and another one in between, ranging from 1119 to 1669. I studied these all carefully for a couple of weeks and finally decided I need to buy one of them, just had to decide which one I would invest in. The cheapest one looked really nice, but the notes said it made a squeaking sound when focusing. I researched the squeak issue and it was very common, many users saying theirs had always had that squeak, it usually gets quieter with use and never and an issue with operation. My first instinct was to go with the cheap one, but I had a focus issue before with a 300/f4 that died twice, once before and once after Nikon claimed to have replaced the motor. It's dead, Jim. So I went through a lot of anxiety trying to settle on the cheap option, but still in the back of my mind thinking I should get one of the other ones.

Late Sunday night I decided I need to make a call and go with it. I went back on last time after midnight, and low and behold, the prices on all of them had dropped $100 since a couple or house before the last time I had checked on them. The most expensive one had dropped $150, from 1669 to 1519. I saw that as a sign and pulled the trigger. It was like a $7000 lens in 2010. 

• Like 1

MPB also doesn't add state sales tax for Texas, so that's even better.

If anyone needs a $20 off referral for an MPB order let me know.

I've bought a lot of stuff from KEH as well, never  had a bad experience. But MPB is beating them on stuff I shop for.

All of those lenses I was watching at MPB have dropped in price again. I'm not upset about it, but I could have spent less and been thrilled with either purchase. I don't know if they are blowing out this model while they can or trying to get rid of inventory before the end of the year, or maybe unadvertised pre-black Friday type thing. But if you're shopping for used stuff this may be a good time to look.

• Like 1

Got a couple of rolls back.  I forgot that I was shooting b&w in the Pentax and wish a few of these shots were color (mostly the Santa next to the dumpster).

I also have a new B&W book for sale.  If anyone is interested, send me a DM.

Pentax 6x7 / Ilford HP4

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nikon F2 / Kodak Portra 400

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

Swayze can you post the link to where all your pics are posted? I tried searching but well you know how search goes here.

Here is my flickr.  There are 19,000 photos there, but I try to be organized so you can look through albums or search with key words.  Let me know if you are looking for something specific.

o texano

Cool shots Anton.  I need to head back out west soon.  I am so bored with Houston.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Feels like it has been awhile.  A lot of my free time has gotten away from me lately.  And when I do get out, it is local and I am really burnt out on Houston.

Recent digital...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I received rolls of the new Cinestill 400D 135 film maybe awhile back.  After loading it, I was about to go out to shoot and my Nikon F2 fell on the tile floor.  The thing is built like a tank.  It appears that the lens (24mm), which I shot 3 frames with before switching back to the 35mm, appears to be fine.  Unfortunately, so far I am not really liking this film.  I don't like the yellowish color cast (I need to verify it isn't from lens yellowing) and the highlights get blown out really easily.  Here are some that I didn't hate.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

A few more recent ones.  Been in a real creative rut lately.  Tired of driving around Houston but lately just don't have the energy to drive too far.  Today I headed down to Danevang to check on a handful of abandoned farms.  Got skunked on all of them.  I think I need to take a real break for a bit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

On 11/4/2022 at 11:47 PM, DougO said:

I got an added unexpected bonus with the above lens. It came with a Really Right Stuff foot upgrade already installed, currently worth $115 new. The original foot was in the case in case I decide to use it. I'll probably never mess with it.

you print professionally right?

Csb/

I thought this was the best place to drop this story posted by a longtime friend (now retired) on a very small Las Vegas  social board. This fellow started his working life as a farmer in California, then went back to school to change careers and entered the tech industry. Anyway, he has been reminiscing and posted this story because the discussion on that forum had turned to the  photography hobby of two other members:

In the early 80s, I was working my way through engineering school as a technician at a Computerland store in Monterey, CA.  The IBM PC had been introduced and was far superior to the Apple II.  Monterey and nearby Carmel were hotbeds for writers, musicians and artists of all kinds.  With the introduction of word processing software and spreadsheets, suddenly every writer, artist and gallery just had to have a computer.  Because of that I had the opportunity to meet a number of famous people, and usually I didn’t even know were famous.

One day I get an installation order for a PC and software at an art gallery in Carmel-by-the-Sea.  Apparently it was a pretty prestigious gallery.  When I arrived I saw they were setting up an Ansel Adams show.  I love Ansel Adams photography.  As the gallery folks show me where to put the computer I glance over and holy shit there’s Ansel Adams himself talking to several people.

I’m wanting to meet him but I can’t just walk up to him!  Anyway I get to work unboxing the PC, booting it, then installing the software suite.  Someone walks up behind me and says, “Can I watch you?  What you doing?”  Of course it was Ansel and I damn near wet my pants.  He introduced himself and we talked for a bit.  He was really interested in what the computer could do and I showed him a few things.  I mean it was probably less than 15 minutes we were together before he had to go.  Then he told me, “I’m really impressed by you young guys, keep it up.”

I will always remember that encounter.  And that I impressed Ansel Adams!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

We spent a week in Pacific Grove/Pebble Beach the week before Christmas. Luckily, we made the trip before Southwest shit the bed and a river of rain hit the peninsula. These are old iPhone pictures, best I can do. Sunset from below Pebble Beach.IMG_0503.thumb.jpg.d446d3b629b1712a7e0f5fa9597f439e.jpgIMG_0426.thumb.jpg.7bef2aa35012984e5f593f43ec90d9ff.jpg

Sunrise from Lover's PointIMG_0363.thumb.jpg.a41be96c281492ce93e3524f94eb9274.jpg

Bald Eagles on a carcass below my house when we returned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

Still the same old same old.  Hoping to get out of two next week.  Today though, I got lucky and ran into a traveler, although I don't think I got a really good shot.  I prefer more candid shots, even if they are portraits.  Angus was heading to New Orleans from San Antonio.  He fell asleep in a boxcar and it got humped (I can explain that if anyone needs it).  He had his well trained pup with him.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Erie heritage unit

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1