The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

17 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

I've tracked down the Maypearl Monster! Took a drive this morning and I had a cheap 15 year  old Kodak digital camera I found in a drawer with me... And I forgot to turn off the fucking date stamp!! 100_2823.thumb.JPG.62b48224b1a8f0c7d37c9c76295eb102.JPG

I'm skeptical. It seems too in focus to be real. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I stopped reading DP a long time ago, but would occasionally read something there when I googled a particular thing that led me there. It's crazy that Amazon can just pull the plug like that and shit all over the users and creators. 

• 2 weeks later...

So much for a road trip with this shit weather.  Headed down to the train yard for a bit...

spacer.png

spacer.png

I collect knives.  Mostly folders, but I picked up a couple of fixed blades recently.  Tired of my usual product shots (usually on railroad tracks), so put a some of my favorite photo books as a backdrop.  Meh...

spacer.png

In case y'all don't venture into the snake thread.  A beautiful Speckled Kingsnake, one of my favorite species...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Another day of crappy weather, so I headed down to my usual haunts.  As I approached the train yard on Wayside, I saw a couple of trains and a couple of cars stopped at the bridge over Hunting Bayou.  I jumped out to see a van in the water.  I see one guy getting out and another still inside.  Me and a couple people that got out of cars, plus the train crews ask if anyone else is inside or hurt, fortunately no one was.  Had they rolled the van, I am sure I would have had to cut one or both of them out of their seat belts.  One of the onlookers said he was behind the van and it looked like they were chasing another car and attempted to sideswipe them, lost control and went into the bayou.  Dumbasses.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It started raining again as I saw this cool Northwestern Heritage unit.  I wish it had been leading, but still cool to get a shot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7

A little of this, a little of that (and some cross posting)...

Bland attempt at product photography. 

spacer.png

Healthy road Cottonmouth...

spacer.png

Always pass by the yard...

spacer.png

While down there I see some smoke at the far end of the yard and go to investigate.  Grass fire right next to the tracks, which a string of cars is sitting on...a few of which are tankers.  Not sure if full or empty, or what kind of product they were carrying.  Regardless, not good.  I head back to the hump of the yard to look for a UP worker, but don't see any.  I head back and see two guys from a business on the other side of the line trying to put the fire out.  I was about to ask if they needed help when a fire engine pulled up on the other side of the tracks, the road was blocked by the train.  I knew they would would make it to the other side in less than 5 minutes, but somehow these two guys got it under control.  Potentially very bad situation, even if the flames couldn't have reached the tracks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Help me out fellas.  Some dude who lives on the other side of Canyon Lake from me took the photos below last week and posted them on Nextdoor.  I like that "stretched" effect, or whatever it's actually called.

What is that called and how does one get that look from a photo?

9492C9CD-EF19-417C-9487-C700942ACBBB_1_201_a.jpeg

87457B6F-D7C5-477E-B08B-427FEDBF57F4_1_201_a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If you are looking for a lens, something like 12-24mm will do the trick.

I don't even have a camera.  Well, not a traditional camera.  What I am looking to do is take photos of that nature with my DJI drone.  I'm checking into if and how that might be accomplished.

I don't even have a camera.  Well, not a traditional camera.  What I am looking to do is take photos of that nature with my DJI drone.  I'm checking into if and how that might be accomplished.

Maybe do a panoramic. I know there are pano settings but, maybe do it manually and stitch together in photoshop if you have it. Might be able to get that effect.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Some of the girl child at my son's soccer game on Sunday.  She went off to the top of the stands to take some pictures herself.  About a month or two ago, she told me she wanted to start taking photos as well, so I dusted off a 10 year old Canon Powershot, bought a couple of new batteries for it and a strap, showed her a few basics, and turned her loose.  I'll post some of her pics another time.

04_16_2023_Drew_Soccer_38.thumb.jpg.2348d5deefceb84e391f8db95d62162c.jpg

04_16_2023_Drew_Soccer_49.thumb.jpg.dd1eca79af96897c7c69920e381d2a61.jpg

04_16_2023_Drew_Soccer_51.thumb.jpg.f38481567f8a4dc51e7056abbef192f1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

LTbear, I’m sure I’ve missed it earlier in this thread, or in some of their thread years back, but where do you live that you’re seeing all this wildlife?  
Is this a hobby for you or is it your profession?  The wolf with the elk and all the bears don’t seem like something your average joe would stumble upon. Great stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

LTbear, I’m sure I’ve missed it earlier in this thread, or in some of their thread years back, but where do you live that you’re seeing all this wildlife?  
Is this a hobby for you or is it your profession?  The wolf with the elk and all the bears don’t seem like something your average joe would stumble upon. Great stuff. 

I'm in Montana, and do most of my wildlife photography in Yellowstone and Glacier national parks. I'm a college professor, and the photography started as just a passionate hobby, but now it's a ide business as well (montanawildphoto.com).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Well, in the next few weeks I am going to make the decision to abandon photoshop or not. Got a new laptop and my cracked version won’t work. I know, I know…pirates! Maybe some other gen X folks will get the reference. Anyways, downloaded the Affinity Photo 2 for a trial period. Then through the internet archive found the last free version of the Nik Collection, worked some voodoo and got that working. The interface is very similar to PS. Only edited a couple of photos so far, but I think it will work for me.

Fuck subscription services.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Adobe waited until I actually would have payed for a newer version of photoshop to shit on us and force a bullshit subscritpion only service. Fuck that shit. So they lost me twice when they could have made back that money from using it for decades for "trial purposes."

I have Affinity Photo, but don't use it much. It has some great features, but it takes me a lot longer to edit pics than I did with oldass versions of Photoshop. I may revert back to it at some point when I'm willing to tackle the learning curve some more, but it's lacking in shortcuts and ease of use. I use GIMP most of the time, have it customized a bit with some keyboard shortcuts and have familiarized myself with it enough that it's about 80 percent as good as PS was. I can live with it. I really miss having my own custom actions to save a lot of time, but fuck Adobe.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Have you tried the latest version of Affinity? At least for me it seems really similar to PS 2015.

No, I got kinda cheesed about not getting a better deal offered to upgrade to the new version. From what I was reading the upgrades they made weren't going to really make much of a difference for me. I'll probably try it eventually.

31 minutes ago, DougO said:

No, I got kinda cheesed about not getting a better deal offered to upgrade to the new version. From what I was reading the upgrades they made weren't going to really make much of a difference for me. I'll probably try it eventually.

You should try the free trial.  I find the interface to remarkably similar to PS 2015.  I haven't shot much lately, so I have been messing around with some old photos.

Abandoned synagogue.  Edited for a bright screen...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1