The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Awesome shots and location.  That one with the graffiti is two American writers SK and Das.  I think both based out of Florida.  I know one of their crew mates.

A couple from the 5th Ward today.  The second one I was messing with different NIK filters, but I got a shot of the same same subject on film.  Curious to see which I like more, even though it is quite a cliched shot.

43822829540_58a7b6cc52_b.jpg

44726701855_1b3b28ccf1_b.jpg

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Like 1

So, I see that Flickr is changing their Pro and free account policies.  I really like using flickr to host as well as the groups.  The free account used to be 1 TB, but now they will limit to 1000 photos/videos.  The Pro account will be $50 a year with unlimited photos.  I used to have a pro account a few years ago.  Any of y'all that use flickr going to step up to the pro account?  Is there another good option?  I tried 500px or whatever it is, but didn't like it.  Instagram is not a photography despite what people think, but I do use it (I post about a third of my photos there).

So, I see that Flickr is changing their Pro and free account policies.  I really like using flickr to host as well as the groups.  The free account used to be 1 TB, but now they will limit to 1000 photos/videos.  The Pro account will be $50 a year with unlimited photos.  I used to have a pro account a few years ago.  Any of y'all that use flickr going to step up to the pro account?  Is there another good option?  I tried 500px or whatever it is, but didn't like it.  Instagram is not a photography despite what people think, but I do use it (I post about a third of my photos there).

Same situation as you. I was pro years ago but stopped because of the very generous 1TB.

You can get much more value elsewhere for $50/yr, but the hassle of moving everything would be ridiculous, and I don’t have all of my originals anyway (I know you can download everything in full res from Flickr though).

I will probably stay with it, but you should be able to also buy before the price increase to have the first year at $30 at least.

You’ll need the adapter to use your lenses. It’s kind of a mirrorless 5DIV but worse in some aspects, too.

Adapter is only $100. Ken Rockwell really liked the camera and I respect his reviews. I watched another review on YouTube and he also liked the camera. It is $1000 than the 5DIV and would be a big jump technically from my 5DII.

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Adapter is only $100. Ken Rockwell really liked the camera and I respect his reviews. I watched another review on YouTube and he also liked the camera. It is $1000 than the 5DIV and would be a big jump technically from my 5DII.

I think it looks awesome.  Smaller form, but not in the way that you can't get a good grip on it.  I'll probably wait for further bodies to be released, but I think they're going to be great.  I've seen video guys shooting with the Sonys forever and I'm glad Canon jumped in and at least provided an avenue to utilize existing lenses.  

• Like 1

Oh no, for sure. I didn’t mean to sound disparaging. I like it a lot, too.

They have the same sensor, but R has a better image processor. Jpg processing would be better if you do that. Interestingly, it does have slightly less DR, but it’s pretty close. Battery life is of course going to be worse on it because of the EVF. The R does have a bazillion AF points (and will focus really well in general but also in the dark, but Canon is known for that) and the nice swivel screen, too. It’s also better for video.

I think you should buy it, of course.

For more review sources, I like Tony and Chelsea Northrup on YouTube. Some people don’t, but I think they are very objective.

I would wait. From the lenses they released, it's clear that Canon has a better camera in the wings

This is also true. Should be kind of like an A7 vs A7R situation. I believe CanonRumors.com reported two early on as well. They are also developing some other big telephoto DO lenses for R mount as well.

Yes, it probably will. The Canon R lenses are the reason to go mirrorless on Canon. Stellar from what I've seen. I get caught up in the specs competition of the bodies too, but the reality is that cameras became more than sufficient for my type of shooting a long time ago. The lenses are more important. If price is a consideration then sure get the setup now because the next body won't be cheaper.  

• Like 1

Of course glass is almost always the weakest link in most people’s setup if they are on a budget. However, there is no denying that the performance of this camera will be better than what I have. Plus the ease of things like WiFi downloading or remote through my phone.

I shoot digital mostly out of convenience, even though the quality is now totally adequate. When I want to really do photography, full manual shooting and no preview safety net, I grab my AE-1.

There will always be another better, faster, lighter camera being released as soon as we buy the current release. Such is the world these days right?

I am obviously trying to talk myself into it a bit.

I still want an AE-1. Do you use a local lab for developing and scanning?

I have used thedarkroom.com for about 8 rolls of film. It’s a little nerve wracking to mail off a roll of film, but I haven’t had any issues. For $15 they develop, scan negatives (they have three choices of scan resolution and I always use the middle one), upload scans and mail negatives and CD of negative scans. I think that is a pretty good value.
  • Like 1

I almost bought an AE-1 last night. Maybe I should’ve!

You’re gonna be pretty blown away by modern sensor tech and focusing speed.

I was impressed in the store with it. Also, the ergonomics and how it feels in the hand (yeah haha), were great.

You can find AE-1’s for cheap, what is holding you back? I currently only have two lenses for mine, both prime. 55mm and 24mm. Love them both.

I was impressed in the store with it. Also, the ergonomics and how it feels in the hand (yeah haha), were great.

You can find AE-1’s for cheap, what is holding you back? I currently only have two lenses for mine, both prime. 55mm and 24mm. Love them both.

I dunno really. There are a ton of them on the Goodwill auction site that go for $40-100 depending on what they come with. I’ll find one and pull the trigger on it. Or just find one locally.
  • Like 1

Interesting. Never looked at the goodwill auctions. Already got my eye on a lens for my AE-1. Thanks!

I have asked around the old site before, but might as well try again here. Does anyone have a connection to get into Edge Falls or the Narrows legally? Would absolutely love to shoot these places.

I bought an AE-1 Program tonight on there with an 50mm 1.8 FD for $47. Not bad!

I’ve bought several old stereo receivers from there as well. They have some good stuff.

Interesting. Never looked at the goodwill auctions. Already got my eye on a lens for my AE-1. Thanks!

I have asked around the old site before, but might as well try again here. Does anyone have a connection to get into Edge Falls or the Narrows legally? Would absolutely love to shoot these places.
You can hike to the narrows legally but it's a long one. Did it back in August, worth it.

608a755482233026f86e7d482cee14cd.jpg
  • Like 4

Thanks again STC

So, quick and dirty review of the Canon EOS R. I like it quite a bit. It will take a little time to get used to the different controls, but it’s not a big deal. The autofocus is indeed insane.

Made a quick trip to Pedernales with my dad and then stopped by Edge Falls (the part visible from the road) and a nice water crossing at Curry Creek. Got home all excited to edit my shots and discovered the cable that came with the camera was mini to mini and therefore I couldn’t transfer the files that way. Nor could I via WiFi because the storm Wednesday night here in Houston killed my router/modem. So I popped out the card and put it directly into my laptop. Ok, let’s go edit! .cr3 file? What the fuck is that? Oh, it’s a new RAW file that my uh hmm “borrowed” photoshop doesn’t support? Fucking great. Well, I’ll have to fix that later. Let’s go mess around with jpgs!

Well damn it, jpgs still suck to edit. Compressed to hell and back. Oh well, I looked through my photos and didn’t really like any of them anyways. But I will try to edit the RAW files this week when I get PS up and running again. In the meantime, here is a shitty compressed jpg, edited and then hosted on a site that kills the resolution.

Fe5i6c8N_o.jpeg

• Like 1

So I got to check out the camera some more as well as edit the raw files.  I had to download the Digital Negative converter from Adobe.  Works like a charm, but it adds one more step to my workflow.  I don't care much for the shots from Pedernales and they are pretty heavy handed on the edits.  I also shot with a ND filter my Pops had.  Never tried that.  Pretty "meh" result (because of my lack of experience with the filters).  I really like how the graffiti shots came out.  So far I am really liking this camera and look forward to shooting some street photography and abandoned places.

45868875411_ce4b4d3385_k.jpg

44052176200_0a40d4eafd_k.jpg

45144596164_ba433d9b45_k.jpg

45819451372_7b548f6a5b_k.jpg

45144613644_d4216c5f5e_k.jpg

• Like 1

Heh. I did that for years, but I agree with naija here. It’s worth it. You get the most recent iterations of PS and LR and you can access the great LR mobile app. It’ll help since you’ve got larger files in a new file type as well.

I’m also team B+W for filters. I’ll eventually get a front mounted setup with either Lee or ICE filters, but until then, I have no qualms with my B+W 10 stop and CP.

I got lightroom and I fucking hate it. Worst interface ever, clunky controls that just seem foreign. And I really hate the way it stores files and bloats up your hard drives. I already have major problems with space. I can put my own files where I want them. I never edit originals. Edit the ones I'm going to edit and put the edited files in another folder. I don't need some bloated file management to do what I already do.

All you really need in Photoshop are curves, hue/satch, unsharp mask and crop tool, until you really need to do some heavy repair or photoshop requests. I occasionally use levels for a tiny tweak. I think all that stuff is in the cheap PS Elements package.

Learn to use curves. It makes everything else so much easier. I never touch brightness/contrast or color balance.

Edited by DougO

I got lightroom and I fucking hate it. Worst interface ever, clunky controls that just seem foreign. And I really hate the way it stores files and bloats up your hard drives. I already have major problems with space. I can put my own files where I want them. I never edit originals. Edit the ones I'm going to edit and put the edited files in another folder. I don't need some bloated file management to do what I already do.

All you really need in Photoshop are curves, hue/satch, unsharp mask and crop tool, until you really need to do some heavy repair or photoshop requests. I occasionally use levels for a tiny tweak. I think all that stuff is in the cheap PS Elements package.

Learn to use curves. It makes everything else so much easier. I never touch brightness/contrast or color balance.

You are making it a lot harder than it actually is. Not sure what you mean about the storage. I import my originals to external drives using LR and export edited copies if I need to. I don’t even typically do that since I just create a Flickr album and publish to it from directly within LR. You can also simply move files instead of copying them.

Some will use an importer to cull files first and only import once they have done that, I just do it the other way. The editing is also non-destructive, which is not true for photoshop (without making duplicate layers and adding more to the workflow process), so you don’t lose anything. Once you learn it, it’s incredibly powerful and pretty easy to use.

I don't make duplicate layers, except to add my text watermark, and curves is non-destructive, and really intuitive and flexible when you get the feel of it. I can edit really quickly and painlessly. LR basically takes what you can do with curves and makes it a lot bulkier and time consuming.

I don’t really know enough about Lightroom to take a stance, but I did try using it a couple of years ago and was utterly confused by it. I am far from a super user when it comes to PS, but it is pretty intuitive to me. I download all my photos to computer, edit them in camera raw, then open in photoshop to save a jpg copy or if I want to do more heavy handed editing (like spot healing or using nik filters). I back up everything to a drive via time machine and a redundant full back up to another drive.

I don't make duplicate layers, except to add my text watermark, and curves is non-destructive, and really intuitive and flexible when you get the feel of it. I can edit really quickly and painlessly. LR basically takes what you can do with curves and makes it a lot bulkier and time consuming.

I mean, LR has a curves tool that works mostly the same as PS, but you can just change the camera profile to match your camera before editing and you don’t really even need to touch it. There isn’t a way in PS to work through multiple files one after another without manually opening all of them is there? The workflow seems much clunkier and slower to me (unless you are using Camera Raw beforehand).  

We can agree to disagree though, we still end up in the same place in the end.

**I have never used Camera Raw, but LR is built from the same processing technology**

I did try RawTherapee which was terrible to use. Some people like Capture One but I haven’t used it.

That was one of the things that frustrated me most about LR, is that I tried to use the curves tool and it didn't work the same way. It was weird.

But I get you. I was weened on Photoshop, I know how to get around, so I stick with it. For years I hated the interface and all the hoops you jump through, but like a foreign language it started to become natural with real world usage. I still thing Adobe interfaces are some of the most non-intuitive and illogical of any software company. Computer geeks tend to suck at making sense, they just create stuff that works how they made it.

If I had started with LR I would probably be stuck on it.

As for multiple files, no not really. But you can record a series of editing moves as an action. If an image needs similar toning and such you can just click the action and it's done. I mainly do that with my watermark, but there are times, like a basketball shoot that has a typical color cast, I will save the action to clean it up and apply it to each file saving a lot of time. I believe you can actually batch process a bunch of files that way. But I haven't done that in a long time. It was always a little scary because it is pretty intensive, resource heavy on the PC.

Edited by DougO

7 hours ago, DougO said:

Lightroom doesn't store files. At all. You put your files where you want and Lightroom reads them from there.