The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Where can I purchase your work?

If serious, I greatly appreciate you. My website is montanawildphoto.com. if you get something, put your screen name from here in order notes as you checkout and I'll upgrade you to rush delivery for free as a small thank you. 

Edited by LTbear
  • Like 5

I need a storefront that will print and sell my older stuff. I make jack from sports photography these days and I am getting kicked further and further down the ladder, despite the quality of my stuff improving over the years. It's a tough racket. If I didn't love doing it I would be smart enough to let it go and do something else. 

I can't even really sell prints of my own stuff because of licensing and stuff, or I could take my chances getting dumped on by leagues, teams and universities that want  the whole pie to themselves. 

I have a few concert things that could sell, but I'm not even sure about rights to sell that stuff. Some people seem to get away with it openly some way or another.

As far as birds, there are almost as many bird photographers as there are birds. and the ones that sell are way better than I am and travel all around getting the best stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I need a storefront that will print and sell my older stuff. I make jack from sports photography these days and I am getting kicked further and further down the ladder, despite the quality of my stuff improving over the years. It's a tough racket. If I didn't love doing it I would be smart enough to let it go and do something else. 

I can't even really sell prints of my own stuff because of licensing and stuff, or I could take my chances getting dumped on by leagues, teams and universities that want  the whole pie to themselves. 

I have a few concert things that could sell, but I'm not even sure about rights to sell that stuff. Some people seem to get away with it openly some way or another.

As far as birds, there are almost as many bird photographers as there are birds. and the ones that sell are way better than I am and travel all around getting the best stuff.

You and @Hornius Emeritus are next on my list of Surlyites to get photos from. I want some of your birdwork. I have a wall in the living room that is being filled with pictures from this site.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Say what now?

Pretty simple, really. There are some really good photographers on here and I aim to get some work from many of them. I'd leave some out if I tried to list them all but I'm going to try to populate a wall in my house with their work. It's an easy way to cover up my shitty drywall skills. If you have a site that has your work for sale, I'll take a look. My plan is to get something from a couple of photographers each month.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Sorry that these aren’t new new, but I finally tried out my new Valoi 360 DSLR scanning rig and re-scanned some of my film shots.

I like it. It makes the film flatter with 120 than my other setup. It’s also MUCH quicker, especially if the roll is uncut. Dust can still a problem, and shots with lots of sky or dark areas (as most of these are) can take a bit of manual healing in Lightroom or PS.

That said, I get much more consistent results now, as these medium format shots are actually two exposures stitched back together in Lightroom (resolution ends up around 43MP).

All shot on Mamiya RB67. B&W is TMax400, the color is Ektachrome 100 slide film and Velvia 100.

0079d2eaf3f3a3955dd1efcdd445a718.jpg
6e4ac0d1da68b7c5dd5648e3e8512a06.jpg

I think this first one is Velvia 100, but it’s been a while. I found it very hard to work with.

52683991614_d9847fc4e9_5k.jpg

These are Ektachrome which has been just great.

52683188952_b2bf949cfc_5k.jpg

52684199508_f84adc3ab0_6k.jpg

52684130280_adcf62aae0_5k.jpg

And a few I scanned of my dad and aunt from the mid 60s on unknown Kodak stock.

10e58e8404a1da95be7c664cc07241f8.jpg
210e8077a5a7ce93c311429b5fb43da9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

On 2/16/2023 at 2:39 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

I also need to get out more myself, but this motherfucking lymphoma diagnosis might cramp my style for a bit.

I need to at least go to the big birding area nearby at some point.

Wow, that sucks, man. I had not read the cancer thread. Sorry to hear you have be deal with that, but very glad the prognosis is good. Getting outside probably would do you some good.

I have no such excuses. I'm just depressed, unmotivated and lazy as fuck. I'm only doing some quick hit and run type short stints, but I need to get out to doing some longer excursions soon when the weather levels off a bit. 

• Like 2

I also need to get out more myself, but this motherfucking lymphoma diagnosis might cramp my style for a bit.

I need to at least go to the big birding area nearby at some point.

Wait what? Like Doug, I missed this. Definitely get out as much as you can handle. I think it will help. Good luck man.
  • Like 1

Not sure how good these are.  Image quality is a bit lacking but I like them.  I took these in 1998 with my Nikkormat FTN, had them developed at a local Phnom Penh 1 hour place, and a few years afterwards, scanned them into my desktop using a flatbed scanner, which explains the image quality.  Anyway, it's pretty hard to take a bad picture at Angkor Wat:

Angkor Wat E. Entrance Monk.JPG

Angkor Wat N. Entrance.JPG

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I like both shots, but that first one is excellent. Regardless if the monk intentionally placed himself there or not.

Bucket list location. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.  I really admire your work, so this means a lot to me.  Yeah...I was lucky to get that picture of the monk.  I was just wandering around looking for opportunity to snap a shot or two, and I heard the sound of monks chanting prayers.  When I walked through these entrance halls, I turned around, and there were these monks, one on each side of the entrance.  I tried to be unobtrusive, but one of the monks heard me fumbling with my gear, and turned around to face the camera.  His picture is less interesting, and looks posed.  This monk was more intent on his prayers, and kept on chanting.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I really admire your work, so this means a lot to me.  Yeah...I was lucky to get that picture of the monk.  I was just wandering around looking for opportunity to snap a shot or two, and I heard the sound of monks chanting prayers.  When I walked through these entrance halls, I turned around, and there were these monks, one on each side of the entrance.  I tried to be unobtrusive, but one of the monks heard me fumbling with my gear, and turned around to face the camera.  His picture is less interesting, and looks posed.  This monk was more intent on his prayers, and kept on chanting.

Thanks.

That’s awesome. I still would be curious to see the other shot. Great job.

Since we're doing astro today, I took this last night after a friend texted me that he saw Jupiter and Venus were near the moon in the western sky. It was already dark and I could only get Jupiter in the frame with my 500mm, and by the time I was done with that, Venus was below the trees from my highest vantage point. Not a particularly interesting photo, but I guess I can say I got a shot of it.

moonjupiter.jpg

And here's Jupiter itself. I know, spectacular, right? 

jupiter.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

@DougO Do you have a site? You're up.

No, not yet. Haven't put any energy into it so far. I need something that is nearly free, and the host site does all the printing and delivery work. Then I would have to decide what to upload. And profit would be nice, too. 

Got the scans from the rolls I sent off.  Roll of Ilford HP5 shot through the Nikon F2 and a roll of Portra 400 through the Pentax 6x7.  I am still blown away by the 105mm lens.  Just such buttery smooth drop off in the depth of field.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am the absolute worst at centering symmetric photos.  Foggy morning in Fulton.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7