UTSA Roadrunners

Chico_SA

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I listen to him come on the sports radio shows, and he seems like a really genuine dude.  If he can keep recruiting well and win a few of these games against ranked teams then he might get poached soon rather than later.  

This army game is winnable. Dude is doing a terrific job.  Shit id trade him for coach dumbfuck 

43 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

This army game is winnable. Dude is doing a terrific job.  Shit id trade him for coach dumbfuck 

Don't think I haven't thought of that.  But Texas is probably too proud to hire a guy from their little brother school.  

I should also add, when I say I listen to him on the radio, I should clarify, he comes on three times a week in 760, morning show, afternoon, and his weekly evening show, plus maybe he is on the other channel too.  I'm pretty sure Frank Wilson and Coker were only on one a week.  So he doing great in the PR sense and brought a few gimmicks with him. 

23 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I listen to him come on the sports radio shows, and he seems like a really genuine dude.  If he can keep recruiting well and win a few of these games against ranked teams then he might get poached soon rather than later.  

folks i know in Gilmer loved the guy

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 1:41 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Don't think I haven't thought of that.  But Texas is probably too proud to hire a guy from their little brother school.  

I should also add, when I say I listen to him on the radio, I should clarify, he comes on three times a week in 760, morning show, afternoon, and his weekly evening show, plus maybe he is on the other channel too.  I'm pretty sure Frank Wilson and Coker were only on one a week.  So he doing great in the PR sense and brought a few gimmicks with him. 

well tom came from UH

they are about as little brother as can be.....or more like red headed, angry, bitter, entitled, little step brother, with a big chip on their should because UT never holds their hand or fights their fights for them

On 10/25/2020 at 11:40 AM, txbroadcaster said:

So Happy for Jeff. I was just getting into broadcasting when he was at Gilmer and I was broadcasting their first state title run in 2004.  Hated how is his time here at UT went and was worried it was going to hurt him for future jobs. So glad it did not.

If you can coach you can coach. Traylor has the “It” factor when it comes to coaching. That, and recruiting.....he has been doing that for a very long time too!

It would not surprise me to see him in Burnt Orange again.

17 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

If you can coach you can coach. Traylor has the “It” factor when it comes to coaching. That, and recruiting.....he has been doing that for a very long time too!

https://goutsa.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

And hiring a coaching staff.    Very experienced.      OC/DC (SEC),  Matt Mattox,  OL,  Rod Wright, DL,  others with P5 experience.

On 10/25/2020 at 11:40 AM, txbroadcaster said:

So Happy for Jeff. I was just getting into broadcasting when he was at Gilmer and I was broadcasting their first state title run in 2004.  Hated how is his time here at UT went and was worried it was going to hurt him for future jobs. So glad it did not.

I don't think anyone blamed him for any of the Charlie era failure, nor held it against him.  

• 3 weeks later...

If our BMDs had any sense they would have hired Traylor instead of Herman. There would have been exactly the right continuity to the old days -- better recruiting, for one thing. There would have been no transition class with Traylor taking over. We'd have an icon from the heart of our most fertile recruiting grounds. Yes it would have been bold to hire someone as inexperienced at the college level as he was at the time, but we're supposed to be Texas. We're supposed to make bold moves, not copycat Baylor and aggy and pounce on the latest shiny object out of Cougar High.

I really hope he's next on the sideline. I see him as having the potential to join Royal and good Mack. Urban would be a stopgap. That's one problem. The other is he ain't comin'. 

• Drool 1

Red McCombs says: "I don't have any doubt that Jeff Traylor is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.  But I don't believe he belongs as Head Coach at what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

😁

3 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

251 yards for Sincere McCormick today against North Texas.  Just a dominating run game with 410 rushing yards.  

Traylor really turned that team around. They were projected to be last in the conference and they will probably win their division. 

13 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

251 yards for Sincere McCormick today against North Texas.  Just a dominating run game with 410 rushing yards.  

Yep and he’s only a Sophomore.  UTSA will be in the CUSA championship in a couple of weeks.   That program is only going to get better and Sincere being around another two years is going to help big time. 

9 hours ago, 54_Strat said:

Traylor really turned that team around. They were projected to be last in the conference and they will probably win their division. 

UTSA has the best football product on the field in the UT system right now.  I don’t think they would beat the Horns, but they would certainly give us hell for 48 minutes much like they gave aggy a scare a few years ago during  the SEC cupcake week in November.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks that SMU pulled out, but I do like that the Frisco Bowl is doing what they should have always been doing; keeping this smaller bowl game to local teams or teams are are close by. 

The last 2 games: San Diego State vs Ohio and Kent State vs Utah State... and they wonder why not very many people showed up, especially since the game was during the middle of the week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Texas-San Antonio football coach Jeff Traylor tests positive for COVID-19 ahead of Saturday bowl game

Texas-San Antonio football coach Jeff Traylor has tested positive for COVID-19, the school announced Wednesday.  The first-year head coach received the positive result on Wednesday during routine testing protocols. Traylor is in isolation and is not currently experiencing any symptoms, the school said.

The Roadrunners are scheduled to play No. 19 Louisiana in the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl. If Traylor is not cleared to travel with the team to Dallas, associate head coach and offensive coordinator Barry Lunney Jr. will serve as acting head coach for the game.

UTSA is 7-4 this season under Traylor and is making its first bowl appearance since 2016. It is just the second bowl game in UTSA history since the program launched in 2011. The Roadrunners' seven wins is the most they've had in a season since 2013.

Lunney is also in his first year at UTSA. Before joining the Roadrunners, he spent seven seasons as the tight ends coach and a season as the special teams coordinator at Arkansas. He also spent a month as the interim head coach for the Razorbacks last season following the firing of Chad Morris.  The Roadrunners and Ragin' Cajuns kick off at 3:30 p.m. ET on Saturday on ABC.

• 1 month later...

After internal investigation, defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix finished at UTSA 

UTSA defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix will not be retained for the 2021 season, ending his tenure when his contract expires on Feb. 15, a university spokesperson said Thursday.

“This decision is based on an overall evaluation, which included the outcome of an internal investigation that was initiated in November, as well as other factors,” UTSA Associate Vice President and Chief Communications Officer Joe Izbrand said in an email. “Consistent with our policy regarding personnel matters, we will not have any additional comment.”

Izbrand added that Nix “is not performing any duties related to the team and is not on campus.”

UTSA announced Nix had been placed on administrative leave in connection with an internal investigation at halftime of the team’s game against UTEP on Nov. 14. UTSA athletics, the university’s main communications team, and coach Jeff Traylor declined to comment on Nix’s status, though Nix remained suspended for the remainder of the 2020 season.

Safeties coach Jess Loepp called the defensive plays for UTSA’s final three games.

Nix, also UTSA’s linebackers coach, was the final assistant added to Traylor’s first-year staff, beginning his term on Feb. 1, 2020, per a copy of his contract released by the university. He earned a base salary of $210,000 — the third-highest figure among UTSA’s assistants — for a one-year term ending Feb. 15, 2021.

The Roadrunners’ season ended Dec. 26 with a 31-24 loss to then-No. 19 Louisiana in the First Responder Bowl.

UTSA installed an odd-man front and turned to a variety of new blitz packages in the first season under Nix, ranking 47th nationally in total defense by allowing 383.3 yards per game. The Roadrunners allowed 429.1 yards per game to rank 92nd nationally in the year prior to Nix’s arrival.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Traylor promotes Loepp, Wright to co-defensive coordinators 

Football 1/29/2021 

SAN ANTONIO — UTSA head football coach Jeff Traylor on Friday announced that he has promoted Jess Loepp and Rod Wright to co-defensive coordinators effective immediately.

Loepp and Wright played key roles on the defensive staff in Traylor's first season at the helm in 2020, including helping to coordinate the defense during the last two months of the campaign. The Roadrunners finished with a 7-5 record, a second-place finish in Conference USA's West Division with a 5-2 mark and an appearance in the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl. Their guidance helped the Roadrunners lead C-USA in sacks (25), tackles for loss (85), interceptions (11), takeaways (19) and turnover margin (+7). In fact, UTSA ranked in the top 30 nationally in five categories — 19th in turnovers gained, 23rd in passes intercepted, 25th in fumbles recovered (8), 26th in turnover margin and 29th in tackles for loss per game (7.1).

"Coach Loepp and Coach Wright did a great job coordinating our defense the last six weeks of the 2020 season," Traylor said. "I look forward to watching our defense continue to grow in our #210TriangleOfToughness Culture."

Loepp, who will continue to coach the program's safeties, helped mentor Rashad Wisdom to first-team all-conference honors last season. Under his tutelage, Wisdom led UTSA in total tackles with 95, solo tackles with 60 and interceptions with four, which tied the school's single-season standard, paced C-USA and ranked eighth among all FBS players. The Converse Judson High School product was named Jim Thorpe Award Player of the Week and C-USA Defensive Player of the Week after posting nine tackles and causing two fumbles in the 52-21 win over UTEP. 

Additionally, safeties Kelechi Nwachuku and Antonio Parks also blossomed during their first year under Loepp. Parks registered 50 tackles, including 32 solo stops, two pass breakups, a pair of quarterback hurries, one interception, one forced fumble and a fumble recovery, while Nwachuku posted 56 total tackles, 35 solo stops and three PBUs.

Loepp joined the UTSA staff after serving as an analyst at Arkansas in 2019. Prior to that, he was the safeties coach at Prosper High School near Dallas in 2018 and the defensive backs coach at SMU in 2015-17. A native of Turpin, Okla., he spent six straight seasons at Tulsa, starting as director of high school relations in 2009 before coaching the safeties in 2010-14. He also served as recruiting coordinator in 2011-12. He got his start in coaching as the linebackers and receivers coach Oklahoma Bible Academy in 2002 before serving as a graduate assistant for the defense at Tulsa in 2003-05. A former all-conference linebacker at Central Oklahoma, he was the recruiting coordinator and safeties coach at Rice in 2006 and at Tulsa in 2007 before becoming an assistant coach and strength coordinator at Lake Travis High School in 2008.

Wright, who also is slated to tutor the program's defensive line for the third straight season in 2021, has played a key role in the development of one of UTSA's deepest units. In his two seasons with the Roadrunners, he has helped the defense emerge as one of the best in the nation in tackles for loss and sacks. In 2019, UTSA set school records with 96 tackles for loss, 8.0 tackles for loss per game and 2.2 sacks per contest, while also leading C-USA in tackles for loss in each of the past two seasons. Five of his players have earned all-conference recognition, including 2020 honorable mention honorees Lorenzo Dantzler, Jaylon Haynes and Brandon Matterson, while Christian Clayton was named to the 2020 C-USA All-Freshman Team.

Wright got his start in coaching as a student assistant and defensive special assistant at Texas in 2010-13 before earning his first full-time assistant coaching job as Sam Houston State's defensive line coach in 2014-17 where he coached current NFL defensive lineman P.J. Hall. He spent the 2018 season as the defensive line coach at East Carolina, where he mentored American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year Nate Harvey before joining the Roadrunners' staff in 2019 to oversee the same position group, including current Los Angeles Rams defensive end Eric Banks. In 2019, he was promoted to run game coordinator while still tutoring the defensive line.

An All-American and All-Big 12 Conference defensive lineman for Texas, Wright was a key cog for the Longhorns' 2005 BCS National Championship team. A Lombardi Award finalist as a senior, he went on to play four years in the NFL for the Miami Dolphins. He later suited up for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League and the Dallas Vigilantes of the Arena Football League.

-UTSA

• Hook 'Em 1

Bryce Wisdom, the San Antonio teen whose battle with kidney cancer captivated the city and beyond, was remembered by the University of Texas at San Antonio on National Signing Day.  Wisdom died in July. He was 17. The beloved Judson High School football player would have been a senior preparing to enter college. Wisdom's older brother, Rashad, is a current Roadrunner football player. The UTSA community supported the Wisdom family throughout his fight. On Wednesday, the school recognized him with other local recruits in a touching video shared online.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 months later...