UTSA Roadrunners

Chico_SA

• 4 weeks later...

Traylor’s been killing it in recruiting, getting really good SA players to stay. Big time pipeline at Judson specifically. I personally like him for giving RGV kids a shot, he’s bringing in Eddie Marburger & Ronnie Garza on scholarship and AJ Gonzaque as a walk on. Excited to see what they do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Traylor’s been killing it in recruiting, getting really good SA players to stay. Big time pipeline at Judson specifically. I personally like him for giving RGV kids a shot, he’s bringing in Eddie Marburger & Ronnie Garza on scholarship and AJ Gonzaque as a walk on. Excited to see what they do. 

Marburger good. Kid can ball. 

• 1 month later...

Look: UTSA opens new $40 million facility

UTSA coaches used to hide the program's facilities from recruits. Not anymore.

ZACH BARNETT     6 HOURS AGO

UTSA on Wednesday opened the long-awaited RACE facility, Roadrunner Athletic Center of Excellence.  Building the 95,000, $40 million facility was authorized way back in 2017 and funded by private gifts and a bond from the city of San Antonio. 

utsa4.webp

utsa1.webp

utsa2.webp

utsa5.webp

utsa3.webp

"Great universities have exceptional academic, research and athletics enterprises. The addition of RACE will further propel UTSA to national recognition while advancing our success as Division I competitors in Conference USA and generating a great sense of pride for San Antonio," said UTSA president Taylor Eighmy. "I am grateful for the support of Gene Dawson and the Roadrunner Foundation Board, the leadership of our Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics , the partnership of the City of San Antonio, and the generosity of so many donors who helped bring RACE to life."

Considering the team plays in the off-campus Alamodome, RACE represents the biggest investment in UTSA football since the program's 2009 founding. 

The facility will include 7,000 square feet of academic space, a sports medicine center, 14,000 square feet of strength and conditioning space, a 7,500-square foot locker room, team and position meeting rooms, and two practice fields. 

The university is currently fundraising for the next phase of athletics development, which will include putting a covered pavilion over the turf practice field.

The Roadrunners open their 2021 season Sept. 4 at Illinois. The team went 7-5 in their debut under head coach Jeff Traylor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

Apparently the Come and Take It flag/motto bothers some people at UTSA. This went out to students today. Tl;dr: C&TI will no longer be used on merch or in UTSA buildings.

Spoiler
UTSA President Taylor Eighmy

Roadrunners,

On August 9th I wrote to you about my intention to launch a task force to embark on a thoughtful, contextual examination of UTSA’s six-year-old tradition of using the Come and Take It phrase and flag as a rallying cry at home football games. I would like to follow up with you about this matter.

Since 2016, UTSA home football games have featured a fourth quarter unfurling of an enormous Come and Take It flag across the student section, accompanied by the firing of a cannon. The last time this was used was during the 2019 season. It was not used during the entire 2020 season because of COVID-19 protocols that I had implemented.

After much research, consultation and deliberation, I am ending this rather young UTSA Athletics tradition at this time and will not be proceeding with the task force. The matter has become a distraction from our mission and is likely to continue shifting our focus away from our work yet to be accomplished. Further, we will identify the use of this phrase in our digital environment, in licensed merchandise, and in our buildings and playing fields, and will systematically and appropriately remove it.

I’d like to share the reasons why I made this decision.

The idea was first raised in 2011 in tandem with the debut of our Division 1 football program. A staff member in Athletics, turning to the historic Texas Revolutionary Battle of 1836 in Gonzales, Texas, felt the historical context around the Come and Take It phrase would offer an inspirational call for our fans and a direct challenge to our opponents. In 2013, the Mayor of Gonzales was invited to attend the Oklahoma State game and ran on the field with a smaller Come and Take It flag. The tradition was formally adopted by UTSA Athletics in 2016 prior to my arrival later in 2017.

Over the last decade, the phrase has become increasingly affiliated with cultural and political issues beyond its traditional historical context. In the time since it was last used at a home game on November 23, 2019, the phrase has been adopted by organizations and movements across the political spectrum. A simple online search of webpages, articles and images involving this phrase reveals the myriad of ways numerous organizations have adopted it for their particular cause. Many of these organizations have values and agendas that differ significantly from ours and our clear focus on excellence in intercollegiate athletics and higher education.

Since the opening of our Roadrunner Athletics Center of Excellence on August 4th, I have seen this issue raise deep emotions both for and against, and even seen divisive vitriol. I especially recognize that this decision will be unpopular with many of our loyal fans.

The phrase—as well intended as it was upon inception and adoption—has increasingly become incongruent with UTSA Athletics and our institution’s mission and core values. For our athletics program and our university—each with so much promise and upward momentum—there is no benefit to becoming embroiled in a divisive issue that could carry well into the future and negatively affect our progress.

Celebrating the success of our young football program is essential. As you know, the 2021 season is a special one—we are celebrating the 10th anniversary of our program. We know that our football team and our fans deeply appreciate a rousing start to the fourth quarter. For each home game this season, we will conduct special celebrations of the individuals and groups that have made our young football program such a success. We look forward to recognizing the former staff, players and community members who have contributed greatly to the early achievements of our program. More information about these fourth quarter celebrations will be announced later today by UTSA Athletics.

I am also charging Dr. Lisa Campos, Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics, to work closely with our football team and staff, our Athletics Department staff, our students and Student Government Association, our Staff Senate, our Faculty Senate, our Alumni Association and others to bring forward a new fourth quarter rallying focus to debut in our fall 2022 season. We have an opportunity to create an important tradition embraced by all Roadrunners. It can eventually join our very cherished and long-standing traditions that reflect our institution and Roadrunner community.

Educational institutions such as ours prepare students to learn, to be community engaged, and—in short—to graduate and change the world. Everything we do as a university is based on our strategic plan and initiatives and especially relies on our core values, our mission, our vision, our destinations and our commitment to inclusivity. Our trajectory is bright, our importance to our community has never been more important, and our path forward must continue.

With appreciation,

Taylor

Taylor Eighmy

President

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

Apparently the Come and Take It flag/motto bothers some people at UTSA. This went out to students today. Tl;dr: C&TI will no longer be used on merch or in UTSA buildings.

Reveal hidden contents
UTSA President Taylor Eighmy

Roadrunners,

On August 9th I wrote to you about my intention to launch a task force to embark on a thoughtful, contextual examination of UTSA’s six-year-old tradition of using the Come and Take It phrase and flag as a rallying cry at home football games. I would like to follow up with you about this matter.

Since 2016, UTSA home football games have featured a fourth quarter unfurling of an enormous Come and Take It flag across the student section, accompanied by the firing of a cannon. The last time this was used was during the 2019 season. It was not used during the entire 2020 season because of COVID-19 protocols that I had implemented.

After much research, consultation and deliberation, I am ending this rather young UTSA Athletics tradition at this time and will not be proceeding with the task force. The matter has become a distraction from our mission and is likely to continue shifting our focus away from our work yet to be accomplished. Further, we will identify the use of this phrase in our digital environment, in licensed merchandise, and in our buildings and playing fields, and will systematically and appropriately remove it.

I’d like to share the reasons why I made this decision.

The idea was first raised in 2011 in tandem with the debut of our Division 1 football program. A staff member in Athletics, turning to the historic Texas Revolutionary Battle of 1836 in Gonzales, Texas, felt the historical context around the Come and Take It phrase would offer an inspirational call for our fans and a direct challenge to our opponents. In 2013, the Mayor of Gonzales was invited to attend the Oklahoma State game and ran on the field with a smaller Come and Take It flag. The tradition was formally adopted by UTSA Athletics in 2016 prior to my arrival later in 2017.

Over the last decade, the phrase has become increasingly affiliated with cultural and political issues beyond its traditional historical context. In the time since it was last used at a home game on November 23, 2019, the phrase has been adopted by organizations and movements across the political spectrum. A simple online search of webpages, articles and images involving this phrase reveals the myriad of ways numerous organizations have adopted it for their particular cause. Many of these organizations have values and agendas that differ significantly from ours and our clear focus on excellence in intercollegiate athletics and higher education.

Since the opening of our Roadrunner Athletics Center of Excellence on August 4th, I have seen this issue raise deep emotions both for and against, and even seen divisive vitriol. I especially recognize that this decision will be unpopular with many of our loyal fans.

The phrase—as well intended as it was upon inception and adoption—has increasingly become incongruent with UTSA Athletics and our institution’s mission and core values. For our athletics program and our university—each with so much promise and upward momentum—there is no benefit to becoming embroiled in a divisive issue that could carry well into the future and negatively affect our progress.

Celebrating the success of our young football program is essential. As you know, the 2021 season is a special one—we are celebrating the 10th anniversary of our program. We know that our football team and our fans deeply appreciate a rousing start to the fourth quarter. For each home game this season, we will conduct special celebrations of the individuals and groups that have made our young football program such a success. We look forward to recognizing the former staff, players and community members who have contributed greatly to the early achievements of our program. More information about these fourth quarter celebrations will be announced later today by UTSA Athletics.

I am also charging Dr. Lisa Campos, Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics, to work closely with our football team and staff, our Athletics Department staff, our students and Student Government Association, our Staff Senate, our Faculty Senate, our Alumni Association and others to bring forward a new fourth quarter rallying focus to debut in our fall 2022 season. We have an opportunity to create an important tradition embraced by all Roadrunners. It can eventually join our very cherished and long-standing traditions that reflect our institution and Roadrunner community.

Educational institutions such as ours prepare students to learn, to be community engaged, and—in short—to graduate and change the world. Everything we do as a university is based on our strategic plan and initiatives and especially relies on our core values, our mission, our vision, our destinations and our commitment to inclusivity. Our trajectory is bright, our importance to our community has never been more important, and our path forward must continue.

With appreciation,

Taylor

Taylor Eighmy

President

Ok, let’s see how many ways we can connect the dots of something that is done innocently to something that is more sinister.

Nothing says they came and took it quite like "A simple online search of webpages, articles and images involving this phrase reveals the myriad of ways numerous organizations have adopted it for their particular cause. Many of these organizations have values and agendas that differ significantly from ours..."

Edited by n64ra

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So white supremacists co-opt the Come and Take It and UTSA decides to drop it. Giving up sends a wonderful message to the football team. 

This. I doubt UTSA ever wins another football game after this. Not sure how the players will mentally cope either, lives are being ruined. 

• Haha 4

On 9/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

So white supremacists co-opt the Come and Take It and UTSA decides to drop it. Giving up sends a wonderful message to the football team. 

So once white supremacy is eliminated we can have nice things again? Where do I sign up to volunteer? 

• Fuck You 2

24 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If I were the AAC I would get Rice to replace Houston, but if they say no then grab UTSA to keep a 2nd Texas team. 

I agree, but UTSA is popping up more.

The only Texas as candidates are UNT (not happening with SMU), Rice, UTSA, UTEP (not travel friendly), and Texas State.

My money would be on Rice but I’m seeing more talk about UTSA (links above). May just be writers making stuff up, but it could be floating out a test candidate for the conference to see the reaction or UTSA/their supporters in the city trying to push a narrative hoping it comes true.  Still early in the process but I found it interesting.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:45 PM, HtownHorn said:

Going to be interesting to see where he goes. If I was UH, I would hire him after this season.

19 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If I was Tech is go all in in Traylor.

Fuck off. (With all due respect) once the b12 turns to dog shit is cusa that much worse that b12 and aac?

25 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If I was Tech is go all in in Traylor.

They really should. Undefeated including a road win over a Big 10 team and a road team over one of the best AAC teams that snapped their 17 home game winning streak. They deserve a ranking but some of the pollsters will overlook what they’ve done 

23 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Fuck off. (With all due respect) once the b12 turns to dog shit is cusa that much worse that b12 and aac?

Yes CUSA is horrible, they went after schools in big markets during the last round of realignment (over quality programs) and now they have the worst TV deal in the FBS.

The Sun Belt aka the “Fun Belt” (which was nearly destroyed by CUSA) reloaded with the best programs from the FCS like App St, Georgia Southern, and Coastal Carolina and now have a better TV deal and have had multiple programs ranked.

Rumors are that multiple CUSA programs have reached out to the Sun Belt about joining (likely Southern Miss, North Texas, and Marshall).

SEC/B1G > ACC/P12 > B12 > AAC > MWC > SBC > CUSA/MAC

22 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Texas should’ve. I like Sark and believe he’ll do God’s work here, but man …. 

I was hoping he would be the only survivor of the Strong firing...Fire err'body but the tight ends coach / special teams coordinator or whatever he was and make him the boss man then and there. i said so and was pissed on from every direction mainly because Traylor lacked the experience of fucking Tom Herman. What does experience even mean if it doesn't translate to simple maturity? Is winning a few big games with an elite small-college QB that you didn't recruit and a man among boys DT (that you also didn't really recruit) more impressive than building a juggernaut dynasty smack dab in the middle of our most fertile recruiting grounds, and doing so in such a way in which even your rival coaches don't have a bad thing to say about you? How many times did Jeff Traylor's Gilmer teams lose games equivalent to Herman's UConn, Navy, and SMU chokes?

It would have been a very bold move but it would have paid off and justify our swagger. It would have told the world, "We don't make hires based on consultants and received wisdom. We hire great coaches when we see them." 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I was hoping he would be the only survivor of the Strong firing...Fire err'body but the tight ends coach / special teams coordinator or whatever he was and make him the boss man then and there. i said so and was pissed on from every direction mainly because Traylor lacked the experience of fucking Tom Herman. What does experience even mean if it doesn't translate to simple maturity? Is winning a few big games with an elite small-college QB that you didn't recruit and a man among boys DT (that you also didn't really recruit) more impressive than building a juggernaut dynasty smack dab in the middle of our most fertile recruiting grounds, and doing so in such a way in which even your rival coaches don't have a bad thing to say about you? How many times did Jeff Traylor's Gilmer teams lose games equivalent to Herman's UConn, Navy, and SMU chokes?

It would have been a very bold move but it would have paid off and justify our swagger. It would have told the world, "We don't make hires based on consultants and received wisdom. We hire great coaches when we see them." 

I get what you’re saying but I was somewhat skeptical if traylor even at utsa .  He was never more than a position coach at any college level.  He’s proved me wrong so far but ut was never going to take that chance

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I get what you’re saying but I was somewhat skeptical if traylor even at utsa .  He was never more than a position coach at any college level.  He’s proved me wrong so far but ut was never going to take that chance

Yeah I knew it wasn't going to happen but really his resume wasn't all that different from Royal's aside from a couple of years as HC of what was then a middling Pac 10 program. I get that people don't roll the dice on $30m contracts without evidence most people see as more plausible than what he presented; I just question why we think the evidence guys like Traylor pile up isn't considered more plausible. 

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Our luck, he ends up at aggy to clean up Jimbo’s next dumpster fire. 

My worst fear. I had the same one about Briles when they went with Sherman, I think, for the same reasons UT has passed over Traylor. Unless aggy knew about the rape or the roids or both, like either would bother them.