UTSA Roadrunners

Chico_SA

1 hour ago, TXpride said:

What do they owe Jimbo, $60M? They're stuck with him for another 4 years. Traylor will be long gone.

I hope so, but the fire is lit now. I think they would burn money after the end of another 8-4 season next year if they thought they had the next sure thing. I would also hope Traylor would be too smart to take that gig. If I were him or his agent, I'd be saying wait for us, or go somewhere like Ms. State, and try to work your way up to Bama, Florida, etc. 

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah I knew it wasn't going to happen but really his resume wasn't all that different from Royal's aside from a couple of years as HC of what was then a middling Pac 10 program. I get that people don't roll the dice on $30m contracts without evidence most people see as more plausible than what he presented; I just question why we think the evidence guys like Traylor pile up isn't considered more plausible. 

I don’t think it would have to of been a 30 million contract…. It could of been 3-4 million a year IMO. But regardless i see Oklahoma hiring him if Riley leaves. 

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I hope so, but the fire is lit now. I think they would burn money after the end of another 8-4 season next year if they thought they had the next sure thing. I would also hope Traylor would be too smart to take that gig. If I were him or his agent, I'd be saying wait for us, or go somewhere like Ms. State, and try to work your way up to Bama, Florida, etc. 

If somehow traylor gets offered the aggy job he should ask for 10 years 75 million.  No less

• Hook 'Em 1

Jeff Traylor offers to drink a gallon of queso to prove a point

His Roadrunners are off to a 4-0 start, and UTSA's head coach is desperate to get his team to avoid eating the cheese.

ZACH BARNETT    SEP 28, 2021

UTSA is off to the best start in school history, and Jeff Traylor is highly worried about it.

Technically speaking, the Roadrunners' ongoing 4-game winning streak is not the longest to begin a season in UTSA's short history. The 2012 team began with five consecutive victories -- but those came at the expense of South Alabama, Texas A&M-Commerce, Georgia State, Northwestern Oklahoma State and New Mexico State.

The 2021 campaign began with a victory at Illinois, the program's first win over a Big Ten opponent, and when Illinois was the toast of college football fresh off an upset of Nebraska. The next two weeks saw convincing wins over Lamar and Middle Tennessee.

This past Saturday's win was the most impressive yet -- and one of the biggest in school history. Facing 3-0 Memphis, who'd just beaten Mississippi State the week before, the Roadrunners rallied from two double-digit deficits to win. 

Trailing by 21 not even 10 minutes into the game and by 14 to start the fourth quarter, UTSA won the final frame 17-0. A 75-yard drive pulled the 'Runners within seven with 13 minutes to play, and then a fumble gave UTSA the ball in a first-and-goal situation; workhorse running back Sincere McCormick (he carried the ball 42 times in the game) tied it with 10:30 remaining. Hunter Duplessis won the game with a 42-yard field goal as time expired.

With UNLV coming to San Antonio this week, Jeff Traylor wants to pull his team out of the glow of victory and back into reality, and he's willing to do just about anything to prove his point.

Considering San Antonio is one of the best Tex-Mex cities in the world, we can all rest assured the queso that would destroy Traylor's insides would at least taste good going down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guys, I was torn  up this afternoon. I had to coach from 9 AM until 2 PM and I managed to miss all game updates. Got home to finish the UT game at 5:30 PM and I was crushed. But UTSA just made my night.  Go Roadrunners. These kids just get after it.  And I'm going to enjoy Traylor while we have him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Coach was on Jim Rome yesterday

Good for him to get in a national stage.

it’s a double edge sword. If he continues to do well it gets utsa a higher profile which is good for recruiting but too good and he gets poached away.  Only thing to hope is that he leaves it good enough to attract the next up and coming coach.

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Good for him to get in a national stage.

it’s a double edge sword. If he continues to do well it gets utsa a higher profile which is good for recruiting but too good and he gets poached away.  Only thing to hope is that he leaves it good enough to attract the next up and coming coach.

I just can’t see Traylor not being successful wherever he goes. He could be a problem at Tech. We’ll get to see him Sept 22, 2022. UTSA won’t be an easy out. They’re favored by 17 against Rice on Saturday. 

22 minutes ago, XForce said:

I just can’t see Traylor not being successful wherever he goes. He could be a problem at Tech. We’ll get to see him Sept 22, 2022. UTSA won’t be an easy out. They’re favored by 17 against Rice on Saturday. 

He will be a legit P5 coach soon. He is a fantastic coach. 

25 minutes ago, XForce said:

I forgot we were playing them next year.....

This looks nice: a game we will not be favored in followed by one that we are expected to win.  

image.png.b854968d8f99cf66216e53c3002b0a85.png

We beat Bama and then forget that we have to actually play the game again UTSA.  That screams trap game. 

On 10/15/2021 at 3:02 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Now I’m trying to think of a successful p5 coach that spent most his time as a HS coach.  Most of the big names worked their way up the college ranks. 
Gus Malzahn is the most successful I could think of. 

There is absolutely no good reason for this to be the case, but it is. 

I really, really wish we'd taken the bold move of elevating him to HC when we fired Strong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2021 at 1:02 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Now I’m trying to think of a successful p5 coach that spent most his time as a HS coach.  Most of the big names worked their way up the college ranks. 
Gus Malzahn is the most successful I could think of. 

Duh, steroid injecting, rape enabling Art Briles.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

If UTSA beats LA Tech and UTEP beats FAU, the UTSA @ UTEP game on Nov 9th will be big.

Aside from getting torn to shreds on Boise's blue turf, UTEP's defense has looked legit all season. Credit to Dimel for turning that program around. I think UTSA's offense w/McCormick will eventually be able wear down UTEP, but it should be a close game until the 2nd half. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Aside from getting torn to shreds on Boise's blue turf, UTEP's defense has looked legit all season. Credit to Dimel for turning that program around. I think UTSA's offense w/McCormick will eventually be able wear down UTEP, but it should be a close game until the 2nd half. 

Yeah...I don't pay UTEP much attention in normal years and last I knew they were in that cluster of Texas schools who (along with Rice) were at or near the bottom of the 120 or however many FBS schools every year....I vaguely remembered hearing they hired Dimel whenever and thought they just didn't give a shit anymore. Hats off to him and the Miners; getting where they are now was no easy feat.