UTSA Roadrunners

Chico_SA

Fucking timing, man. How many of us might have lost out on the love of our lives because one or the other of us was taken at the wrong time. Don't answer that publicly -- but consider this: Willie Nelson once said that "99 percent of the world's lovers are not with their first choice. That's what makes the jukeboxes play."

I really worry that we are gonna miss out on Traylor messing around with second choices. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fucking timing, man. How many of us might have lost out on the love of our lives because one or the other of us was taken at the wrong time. Don't answer that publicly -- but consider this: Willie Nelson once said that "99 percent of the world's lovers are not with their first choice. That's what makes the jukeboxes play."

I really worry that we are gonna miss out on Traylor messing around with second choices. 

Watching that Traylor post game interview after LA Tech.  Seems like a great head coach.  Knows the right things to say to his team and how to challenge them to step up and finish the game strong.  He coaches them to play fearless.

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think LSU would go Napier before Traylor due to local ties.

If Campbell ends up at Penn State, Traylor maybe goes to Iowa State but I think Traylor likely ends up at Tech, Houston, or SMU for 2-3 years. 

I suspect either way Traylor is the next Texas HC if Sark falters. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I think LSU would go Napier before Traylor due to local ties.

If Campbell ends up at Penn State, Traylor maybe goes to Iowa State but I think Traylor likely ends up at Tech, Houston, or SMU for 2-3 years. 

I suspect either way Traylor is the next Texas HC if Sark falters. 

Wishful thinking if you want Traylor at UT....There's not a dime's worth of difference between East Texas and North Louisiana, and not a whole lot between Southeast Texas and Coonass country. Yeah I guess Coach O was a better "cultural fit" but not by much. 

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Crazy history --  players wanted Traylor to stay on as next Head Coach when Chad Morris left for Arky...   

Not saying that's bad at all -- I just have this idea the BMDs might think he's a hayseed. And he might be, but that does not mean he might not be a generational, legendary football coach. Shit there are still country lawyers out there who will aw shucks you with a smile on their face while they strip you of your wallet, belt, shoes, car, and watch. Traylor strikes me as that type.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think some of our BMDs might think Traylor is too country to be our coach. Mack had the accent but he is more the small town country club type....Traylor is plain ol' bass boat country. We haven't had a coach like that since Royal.

Some of our BMDs need to shut the fuck up and get out of the way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There’s so much to like about him. Not a damn thing to dislike. 

“I got to learn,” Traylor said of his time at Gilmer. “There’s a lot to this job. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, got to practice some stuff, and I can promise you I’m more calm as a head coach now. And my players, they always believed in me. I’ve got an unbelievable group of former players that still stay in touch.”

He’s done a great job diving into the different communities he’s served over the years, and currently has the necessary buy-in of San Antonio residents and the rest of the local 210 area code.

Prior to his first season with UTSA, he developed the 210 Triangle of Toughness. He installed a program culture that focused on mental and physical toughness, selflessness, perfect effort, integrity and passion.

He also set up a system that recognized program players with mental and physical toughness. Before each season, single-digit jersey numbers are awarded to those athletes that best represent the characteristics, and receive the most votes from their teammates and coaches. The top three vote finishers wear the numbers 2, 1 and 0 during the season.“

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/commentary-east-texan-jeff-traylor-has-utsa-running-strong/article_5d8c82a4-4157-5602-af83-0a7fbbd777e1.amp.html

15-5 record so far with the Roadrunners. 8-0 this season and AP ranked. I really feel like we will look back in a few years and kick ourselves for not having the balls/foresight etc…to have given him the keys to the HC role at Texas. Maybe we will get a chance at him down the road but watching what he is doing is damn inspiring. again it’s just my damn opinion but there are few guys out there like that. 15 years as a HS coach and 3 championships and just works his way up. I hope he stays with UTSA but if he stays on this trajectory a lot of people are going to want him on their staff.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Traylor should have been made the offensive coordinator on Herman's staff. But fuck MENSA and I hope he's never offered another gig in CFB again.

At this point, Traylor's next step is a P5 HC job. I would love it if he were to become the Texas HFC especially if Sarkisian doesn't work out. I think Traylor could bring Texas back by focusing on Texas HS football players. Lord knows that he's built up a reputation and respect around the state.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:44 AM, Eggo said:

April Ancira from the Ancira car dealerships (SA competitors for the Red McCombs group). These are the BMDs UTSA has to offer...

I said it in the Tech coaching search thread a few days ago that people like Ernesto Ancira, Gunn Automotive, Billy Cavender, and Charles Butt are going to have to supplement Traylor’s paycheck to keep him at UTSA. The Anciras must read Surly.

• Hook 'Em 3

I like him even more after listening to that^^ explaining how he took over in a Covid year and just spent time with the current players during the day getting to know all of them in the weight room etc… and then switching to recruiting at night. Man, though after listening to him, that door to TT is still open though. Wide open after listening to the above. 

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

I said it in the Tech coaching search thread a few days ago that people like Ernesto Ancira, Gunn Automotive, Billy Cavender, and Charles Butt are going to have to supplement Traylor’s paycheck to keep him at UTSA. The Anciras must read Surly.

better scrounge around for a lot more than $1,000. Don't think it matters, he'll bolt for the first P5 gig he feels comfortable taking.  

Spoiler

Long before his name began to surface this week as a potential candidate in the coaching search at Texas Tech, UTSA’s Jeff Traylor braced himself, knowing the flurry of rumors would eventually come from one opening or another.

Traylor said everyone in the Roadrunners program “expected a great year” in 2021. That type of success puts him near the top of the list for any job opening in Texas, and Traylor warned UTSA’s players of that reality before the season.

When rumblings of Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC started to emerge through the summer, Traylor knew change could also be coming to UTSA. Last week’s shift to the American Athletic Conference puts the Roadrunners in a league that will require a greater resource commitment to remain competitive, likely including more lucrative contracts for Traylor and his assistants.ll the stories, all the time

Unlock Express News  for 99¢

Through the process, Traylor said he worked with UTSA president Taylor Eighmy and athletic director Lisa Campos to be “in front of this for a while.”

As Traylor navigated questions from the media Wednesday about his potential connection to Texas Tech, he was asked if the rumors heighten the importance of working with UTSA’s administration to ensure he has the resources necessary to succeed with the Roadrunners.

“They’ve been very active in their conversations with me this entire year,” Traylor said. “We’re just working through some details. We’re trying to get some things finalized, so we can move forward together.”

Traylor is in the second year of a contract that runs through 2025, earning $830,000 in base salary with incentives that could push his total pay past $1.5 million if No. 23 UTSA continues its unbeaten run.

Former Texas Tech coach Matt Wells, who was fired Monday, earned more than $3 million annually.

Traylor stopped short Wednesday of saying if an adjustment to his agreement with UTSA could be reached in the near future.

“I have no idea how those things work,” Traylor said. “I have agents and attorneys, and they have attorneys. There’s always legal language. Just stuff we’re working through, to be very honest with you. … We’re in front of it. They’ve done a fantastic job, and we’re trying to get that done.”

Traylor said Wednesday he had not been contacted by anyone from Texas Tech.

Facing speculation about the possibility is a “good problem,” Traylor said, reflecting UTSA’s success during an 8-0 start to 2021.

He added that conversation centering around himself rather than the players during the team’s open date this week is “unfortunate,” but he said the group is not going to let the situation become a distraction.

He reminded the Roadrunners that team success will often lead to his name circulating through the national rumor mill.

“You don’t know if it’s accurate. You don’t know if it’s just fans. You don’t know if it’s real, ever,” Traylor said. “The only people that know that are really me and the other party. So that’s just what I tell my players.”

Safety Rashad Wisdom said Traylor touched on the likelihood of his name surfacing for other jobs “a long time ago,” but not in much depth. Wisdom said the possibility was not an important consideration for a team that aims to be “where our feet are.”

Through each milestone on UTSA’s run to the best start in program history and first national ranking this year, the Roadrunners have stressed a motto of “don’t eat the cheese,” blocking out all the accolades that might throw them off mentally. Ignoring the rumors around Traylor’s future falls into the same category, Wisdom said.

“We see it as a violation of the cheese code, so we don’t try to get too much into that,” Wisdom said. “We have a whole season to keep on playing, and we still have a lot of other games to go. We’re invested in Coach Traylor, and he’s invested in us, so we’re just going to keep on rolling.”

Tight end Leroy Watson said Traylor prepared the players for the inevitable speculation during a previous meeting of UTSA’s leadership council.

The Roadrunners, Watson said, have tried to tune out the conversation.

“He just reassured us, ‘Hey, things are going to happen,’” Watson said. “He’s a really good coach in a predominant role, and of course people are going to call his name, especially when we’re winning.”

UTSA is working through the first open date of Traylor’s tenure this week, holding shorter practices in full pads Tuesday and Wednesday. After gathering for weightlifting and conditioning Thursday morning, the players will be off until the group reconvenes Sunday night.

Traylor said much of the focus will be on fundamentals, but also on taking some workload off the first team to ensure the group is fast and fresh the rest of the way.

Watson said some of the sloppy plays early in Saturday’s 45-16 win against Louisiana Tech were because “guys’ tanks were empty.” UTSA hopes to bring a healthier and refreshed group into a matchup at UTEP on Nov. 6.

“It’ll be a nice little recovery boost that we all really need,” Watson said. “Seasons are long and hard, and we have aspirations to continue to play for a very long time. So this little halfway break is a great pit stop.”

SA Express-News: UTSA, Traylor moving forward through Texas Tech speculation

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fucking pisses me off that he's 53 and now his age is working against him too. He'll get his shot but it'd be better if somebody'd seen fit to grab him out of high school five or ten years before they did. 

He's only 5 years older than Briles was when Briles was hired at Houston. Briles got the p5 job 5 years later at a similar age.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He's only 5 years older than Briles was when Briles was hired at Houston. Briles got the p5 job 5 years later at a similar age.

If Traylor is 5 years older than Briles was 5 years before Briles got a p5 job, wouldn't Traylor be the same age Briles was when Briles got the p5 job? 

12 hours ago, Eggo said:
  Hide contents

Long before his name began to surface this week as a potential candidate in the coaching search at Texas Tech, UTSA’s Jeff Traylor braced himself, knowing the flurry of rumors would eventually come from one opening or another.

Traylor said everyone in the Roadrunners program “expected a great year” in 2021. That type of success puts him near the top of the list for any job opening in Texas, and Traylor warned UTSA’s players of that reality before the season.

When rumblings of Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC started to emerge through the summer, Traylor knew change could also be coming to UTSA. Last week’s shift to the American Athletic Conference puts the Roadrunners in a league that will require a greater resource commitment to remain competitive, likely including more lucrative contracts for Traylor and his assistants.ll the stories, all the time

Unlock Express News  for 99¢

Through the process, Traylor said he worked with UTSA president Taylor Eighmy and athletic director Lisa Campos to be “in front of this for a while.”

As Traylor navigated questions from the media Wednesday about his potential connection to Texas Tech, he was asked if the rumors heighten the importance of working with UTSA’s administration to ensure he has the resources necessary to succeed with the Roadrunners.

“They’ve been very active in their conversations with me this entire year,” Traylor said. “We’re just working through some details. We’re trying to get some things finalized, so we can move forward together.”

Traylor is in the second year of a contract that runs through 2025, earning $830,000 in base salary with incentives that could push his total pay past $1.5 million if No. 23 UTSA continues its unbeaten run.

Former Texas Tech coach Matt Wells, who was fired Monday, earned more than $3 million annually.

Traylor stopped short Wednesday of saying if an adjustment to his agreement with UTSA could be reached in the near future.

“I have no idea how those things work,” Traylor said. “I have agents and attorneys, and they have attorneys. There’s always legal language. Just stuff we’re working through, to be very honest with you. … We’re in front of it. They’ve done a fantastic job, and we’re trying to get that done.”

Traylor said Wednesday he had not been contacted by anyone from Texas Tech.

Facing speculation about the possibility is a “good problem,” Traylor said, reflecting UTSA’s success during an 8-0 start to 2021.

He added that conversation centering around himself rather than the players during the team’s open date this week is “unfortunate,” but he said the group is not going to let the situation become a distraction.

He reminded the Roadrunners that team success will often lead to his name circulating through the national rumor mill.

“You don’t know if it’s accurate. You don’t know if it’s just fans. You don’t know if it’s real, ever,” Traylor said. “The only people that know that are really me and the other party. So that’s just what I tell my players.”

Safety Rashad Wisdom said Traylor touched on the likelihood of his name surfacing for other jobs “a long time ago,” but not in much depth. Wisdom said the possibility was not an important consideration for a team that aims to be “where our feet are.”

Through each milestone on UTSA’s run to the best start in program history and first national ranking this year, the Roadrunners have stressed a motto of “don’t eat the cheese,” blocking out all the accolades that might throw them off mentally. Ignoring the rumors around Traylor’s future falls into the same category, Wisdom said.

“We see it as a violation of the cheese code, so we don’t try to get too much into that,” Wisdom said. “We have a whole season to keep on playing, and we still have a lot of other games to go. We’re invested in Coach Traylor, and he’s invested in us, so we’re just going to keep on rolling.”

Tight end Leroy Watson said Traylor prepared the players for the inevitable speculation during a previous meeting of UTSA’s leadership council.

The Roadrunners, Watson said, have tried to tune out the conversation.

“He just reassured us, ‘Hey, things are going to happen,’” Watson said. “He’s a really good coach in a predominant role, and of course people are going to call his name, especially when we’re winning.”

UTSA is working through the first open date of Traylor’s tenure this week, holding shorter practices in full pads Tuesday and Wednesday. After gathering for weightlifting and conditioning Thursday morning, the players will be off until the group reconvenes Sunday night.

Traylor said much of the focus will be on fundamentals, but also on taking some workload off the first team to ensure the group is fast and fresh the rest of the way.

Watson said some of the sloppy plays early in Saturday’s 45-16 win against Louisiana Tech were because “guys’ tanks were empty.” UTSA hopes to bring a healthier and refreshed group into a matchup at UTEP on Nov. 6.

“It’ll be a nice little recovery boost that we all really need,” Watson said. “Seasons are long and hard, and we have aspirations to continue to play for a very long time. So this little halfway break is a great pit stop.”

SA Express-News: UTSA, Traylor moving forward through Texas Tech speculation

Get an upgrade with the new conference coming and stay at UTSA.  I'd sure as hell rather make $1.5M per in San Antonio than $3M per in Dirt City.

• Hook 'Em 1