Jewish lesbian professor of comparative literature and 3rd-wave feminism sexually harasses gay male student

52-80

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/nyregion/sexual-harassment-nyu-female-professor.html

The case seems like a familiar story turned on its head: Avital Ronell, a world-renowned female professor of German and Comparative Literature at New York University, was found responsible for sexually harassing a male former graduate student, Nimrod Reitman.

An 11-month Title IX investigation found Professor Ronell, described by a colleague as “one of the very few philosopher-stars of this world,” responsible for sexual harassment, both physical and verbal, to the extent that her behavior was “sufficiently pervasive to alter the terms and conditions of Mr. Reitman’s learning environment.” The university has suspended Professor Ronell for the coming academic year.

In the Title IX final report, excerpts of which were obtained by The New York Times, Mr. Reitman said that she had sexually harassed him for three years, and shared dozens of emails in which she referred to him as “my most adored one,” “Sweet cuddly Baby,” “cock-er spaniel,” and “my astounding and beautiful Nimrod.”

Coming in the middle of the #MeToo movement’s reckoning over sexual misconduct, it raised a challenge for feminists — how to respond when one of their own behaved badly. And the response has roiled a corner of academia.

Diane Davis, chair of the department of rhetoric at the University of Texas-Austin, who also signed the letter to the university supporting Professor Ronell, said she and her colleagues were particularly disturbed that, as they saw it, Mr. Reitman was using Title IX, a feminist tool, to take down a feminist.

“I am of course very supportive of what Title IX and the #MeToo movement are trying to do, of their efforts to confront and to prevent abuses, for which they also seek some sort of justice,” Professor Davis wrote in an email. “But it’s for that very reason that it’s so disappointing when this incredible energy for justice is twisted and turned against itself, which is what many of us believe is happening in this case.”

59 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

she and her colleagues were particularly disturbed that, as they saw it, Mr. Reitman was using Title IX, a feminist tool, to take down a feminist.

“Bbbbbut the rules don’t apply to my group” Elitism and the university bubble at its finest. Sorry the relative morality isn’t working out for your NYU bud Diane.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Diane Davis, chair of the department of rhetoric at the University of Texas-Austin, who also signed the letter to the university supporting Professor Ronell, said she and her colleagues were particularly disturbed that, as they saw it, Mr. Reitman was using Title IX, a feminist tool, to take down a feminist.

“I am of course very supportive of what Title IX and the #MeToo movement are trying to do, of their efforts to confront and to prevent abuses, for which they also seek some sort of justice,” Professor Davis wrote in an email. “But it’s for that very reason that it’s so disappointing when this incredible energy for justice is twisted and turned against itself, which is what many of us believe is happening in this case.”

That's a real thing?  

24 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Go on....

One night upon my motorcycle through the desert sped, and smashed my body so that all my friends thought I was dead/
My sister held me close and whispered to my bleeding head,

"You are the son of a mother fucker"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/nyregion/sexual-harassment-nyu-female-professor.html

The case seems like a familiar story turned on its head: Avital Ronell, a world-renowned female professor of German and Comparative Literature at New York University, was found responsible for sexually harassing a male former graduate student, Nimrod Reitman.

An 11-month Title IX investigation found Professor Ronell, described by a colleague as “one of the very few philosopher-stars of this world,” responsible for sexual harassment, both physical and verbal, to the extent that her behavior was “sufficiently pervasive to alter the terms and conditions of Mr. Reitman’s learning environment.” The university has suspended Professor Ronell for the coming academic year.

In the Title IX final report, excerpts of which were obtained by The New York Times, Mr. Reitman said that she had sexually harassed him for three years, and shared dozens of emails in which she referred to him as “my most adored one,” “Sweet cuddly Baby,” “cock-er spaniel,” and “my astounding and beautiful Nimrod.”

Coming in the middle of the #MeToo movement’s reckoning over sexual misconduct, it raised a challenge for feminists — how to respond when one of their own behaved badly. And the response has roiled a corner of academia.

TOLERANCE!!! 

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

That's a real thing?  

my english degree required me to take a rhetoric course. i hated that course, and i told the professor so to his face. i may have also told him i didn't like him personally as well. fuck that class. i got a D, but it still counted for my degree. i still don't know how i got away with that. lowest grade i ever got.

and it's not like i didn't have other tough profs - i took roman history with professor morgan (and smoked with him before and after class, which did no favors, for the record). it's just that this rhetoric class - everything about it, including the prof - was phony.

in short, fuck rhetoric at UT. 

20 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I think I shot pool once with some dude who taught rhetoric at UT. Big tall dude with droopy eyes. That motherfucker would stop when it was his turn to shoot, stand there resting with both hands on his cue, and just start talking about philosophical shit that nobody asked him about.

HEY MOTHERFUCKER, IT'S YOUR SHOT.

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

E306 back in the day, which most placed out of, was called Rhetoric and Composition.  Actually looks like it's now RHE306.

think that was the one. i don't know how i hadn't placed out of it. i took plenty of non-mathy ap courses in high school, and tested extremely well. 

anyways. still don't know how i passed, even with that d.

^^ You might have been the dude Rhetoric Teacher Non-Pool-Shooter was talking about. Said he'd just read the funniest paper a student had written. Said the guy was a comic genius.

Me: "So he got an A?"

"No. It was rhetorically weak. bla bla for 5 more minutes while it's my pool shot."

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

No, it is not being twisted & turned against itself. You are either for no harassment, or you are not. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Professor Ronell, 66, denied any harassment. “Our communications — which Reitman now claims constituted sexual harassment — were between two adults, a gay man and a queer woman, who share an Israeli heritage, as well as a penchant for florid and campy communications arising from our common academic backgrounds and sensibilities,” she wrote in a statement to The New York Times.

I've got your penchant for florid and campy communications RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT HEEEEEEEEEEEEERE, YOU DRY-CUNTED BITCH!

21 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

The true definition of Nim Rod is "A great hunter", but after Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd this name for so long in Looney Tunes cartoons, it took on a new meaning....A moron or clutz.

Amazing how things like cartoons have affected the culture.  Also amazing that a Looney Tunes cartoon would make reference to a relatively obscure biblical character in that fashion.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

my english degree required me to take a rhetoric course. i hated that course, and i told the professor so to his face. i may have also told him i didn't like him personally as well. fuck that class. i got a D, but it still counted for my degree. i still don't know how i got away with that. lowest grade i ever got.

and it's not like i didn't have other tough profs - i took roman history with professor morgan (and smoked with him before and after class, which did no favors, for the record). it's just that this rhetoric class - everything about it, including the prof - was phony.

I loved Morgan’s classes. Took him for both Roman Republic and then Empire.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I loved Morgan’s classes. Took him for both Roman Republic and then Empire.

He was cool. Didn't take his classes, but in the hall of the Classics building he corrected me for using "best" when comparing two things. It was awesome, kinda like getting rifle cleaning tips yelled at you from R. Lee Ermey.

People defend their own, sexual assault still not taken seriously; news at 11

The recent case of Avital Ronell, an NYU professor suspended for sexual harassment, and the scholars who rallied to support her highlights the intense politics of academia.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/08/why-do-academics-defend-colleagues-accused-of-harassment/567553/

• Like 1

No doubt I'm not very adept at sussing out these fringe social interactions, but why in the hell would a lesbian sexually harass a man, much less a gay man?  Is there some sort of "sexual harassment isn't about sex but power" thing here, like (what's true about) rape?

Anyway:  

No doubt I'm not very adept at sussing out these fringe social interactions, but why in the hell would a lesbian sexually harass a man, much less a gay man?  Is there some sort of "sexual harassment isn't about sex but power" thing here, like (what's true about) rape?
Anyway:  

Maybe she isn't very good at being a lesbian?

40 minutes ago, Parliament said:
1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:
Anyway:  

Maybe she isn't very good at being a lesbian?

That's pathetic.  

I'd be an EXCELLENT lesbian.

I dig women, have short hair, and wear comfortable shoes.  And I'll confess, I like a coupla Indigo Girls tunes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

People defend their own, sexual assault still not taken seriously; news at 11

The recent case of Avital Ronell, an NYU professor suspended for sexual harassment, and the scholars who rallied to support her highlights the intense politics of academia.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/08/why-do-academics-defend-colleagues-accused-of-harassment/567553/

Fuck all hypocrites.